Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jherst

Seems I only get solid performance for the first MAYBE second bowl. Would upgrading from the 750mah to one of the new 770mah batteries make a significant difference?

Jherst,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Seems I only get solid performance for the first MAYBE second bowl. Would upgrading from the 750mah to one of the new 770mah batteries make a significant difference?

Yes, I think so. The 770s deliver more power for longer, and somewhat more consistently, in my experience.

What do people use for a case? Anyone know of one that's smell proof and small enough to be pocketable? Maybe all you'd need is something to cover the mouthpiece?

Vatra makes a few cases that are nice....not really pocketable though. Given the native size of the FF it's hard to keep a case small enough....anyway here's one made specifically for the FF....

https://vatra.com/?product=duffle-bag#.VfXcGsT3arU

Last edited:

Vatra makes a few cases that are nice....not really pocketable though. Given the native size of the FF it's hard to keep a case small enough....anyway here's one made specifically for the FF....

https://vatra.com/?product=duffle-bag#.VfXcGsT3arU
Wow I didn't know you could get smell proof with a zipper. I'll probably get that at some point.

This thing would really benefit from an MFLB-esque power adapter I think.
I read somewhere that you can't get enough power without using a battery, as in the battery produces more power than an outlet could. Though now that I'm explaining that, it doesn't really make sense..

Quote,
Reactions: Jherst

Jherst

Wow I didn't know you could get smell proof with a zipper. I'll probably get that at some point.

I read somewhere that you can't get enough power without using a battery, as in the battery produces more power than an outlet could. Though now that I'm explaining that, it doesn't really make sense..
Yeah I don't know of any small batteries that can match the power of a wall outlet....

Jherst,

I think the o-ring in my bowl has been out of place. I bought it used, and as long as I've had it, the screen can't move as far in one direction as it can in all the others. Recently, when I finished a bowl, all of the herb was dark except that side. I took the screen out to look closer, and I can kind of see the o-ring coming out in that spot.

My question is, should I tell Firefly about it and possibly have it warrantied, or is it okay? Maybe I could push it back?

Quote,

Bapao76

I would not recommend this product at all.

This vape does not work very well for me compared to my MFLB, which is still in mint condition after 1.5 years. First the "chrome" started wearing off the plastic buttons, then the battery lid just started sliding off. I only use it at home and treat it like a precious gem. It's impossible to clean properly without taking it apart and crud falls through the holes in the tray into the coil area below it...people had theirs ignite on them...even the 770 batteries wear real quick. My battery was on its last leg before it broke. My MFLB batteries still work fine after 1.5 years. My FF broke after 2 months. Green light comes on but no glow from the coil.

Am sending it in for repair and then it's going on ebay. If I don't find a buyer, then I'll keep is solely for extracts. Not too keen on sending this thing in for repair every couple of months and what's the point in owning it when I'm to scared to use it? Design before function.

The vape is also pretty weak as others have mentioned, It hardly gets me medicated...

I purchased the MFLB PA 2.0 and an MF Orbiter for home use and also got a Volta for cheap as a backup vape in case the MFLB dies. The Volta is really nice btw. The simple devices seem to be rock solid compared to this Firefly Beta. Once they bring out a better product that works, I'll consider giving them a second look. They charge nearly 300 bucks for this beta product...unbelievable...it is no way near worth 300 imo.

I think the o-ring in my bowl has been out of place. I bought it used, and as long as I've had it, the screen can't move as far in one direction as it can in all the others. Recently, when I finished a bowl, all of the herb was dark except that side. I took the screen out to look closer, and I can kind of see the o-ring coming out in that spot.

My question is, should I tell Firefly about it and possibly have it warrantied, or is it okay? Maybe I could push it back?

Sounds like one of the many issues you can encounter with this thing. Try and push the ring back using the pointy plastic things you get with the device. If that doesn't work, you can Torx is apart and re-position the ring. The insides are super simple, you can't do anything wrong. Not sure if that would void your warranty though. You need to open it to be able to clean it properly so that it doesn't ignite debris anyway, so it would be a slap in the face if opening it would void the warranty.

Last edited:
Bapao76,

mitchgo61

I would not recommend this product at all.

This vape does not work very well for me compared to my MFLB, which is still in mint condition after 1.5 years. First the "chrome" started wearing off the plastic buttons, then the battery lid just started sliding off. I only use it at home and treat it like a precious gem. It's impossible to clean properly without taking it apart and crud falls through the holes in the tray into the coil area below it...people had theirs ignite on them...even the 770 batteries wear real quick. My battery was on its last legs before it broke. My MFLB batteries still work fine after 1.5 years. My FF broke after 2 months. Green light comes on but no glow from the coil.

Am sending it in for repair and then it's going on ebay. If I don't find a buyer, then I'll keep is solely for extracts. Not too keen on sending this thing in for repair every couple of months and what's the point in owning it when I'm to scared to use it? Design before function.

The vape is also pretty weak as others have mentioned, It hardly gets me medicated...

I purchased the MFLB PA 2.0 and an MF Orbiter for home use and also got a Volta for cheap as a backup vape in case the MFLB dies. The Volta is really nice btw. The simple devices seem to be rock solid compared to this Firefly Beta. Once they bring out a better product that works, I'll consider giving them a second look. They charge nearly 300 bucks for this beta product...unbelievable...it is no way near worth 300 imo.

Are you sure you don't have a counterfeit? Much of what you describe does not match my experience (with over ten FF units in the past two years) or others' experience.

Specifically...

1. The finish shouldn't come off the buttons. I've never heard of that issue.
2. The battery covers on early models had some looseness issues, but those were fixed over a year ago. (You could ask FF to send you a new lid, but that's assuming you bought from them and don't have a fake.)
3. There is very little chance of anything falling into the holes on the stainless steel plate into the coil area. The holes are TINY. Even very fine material doesn't work its way into those holes easily. (Not sure what you mean by having to take it apart to clean it....I've cleaned mine a zillion times and never done more than wipe the surfaces, without ever requiring any disassembly).
4. If your FF power is weak, and you find the 770 wears "real quick", you may have a counterfeit. The 770s are very powerful, and lots of folks here have great results with them.

Finally, let's be clear here.....the Firefly is not a BETA. It was thoroughly beta-tested in house in 2013 prior to the first units being sold. Some manufacturers have beta-ed their devices with the general public, but FF has purposely not done this. It's not helpful to spread a mischaracterization about the state of the device. It's a production release model, not a beta, and based on past history, when the FF2 comes out it will be a fully-tested production model, not a beta. I'm sorry you're having issues, but if you contact FF (assuming you do not have a counterfeit, and there are pix on the FF site to help you determine this) I'm sure they will work with you on a replacement if your device is faulty.

Sounds like one of the many issues you can encounter with this thing. Try and push the ring back using the pointy plastic things you get with the device. If that doesn't work, you can Torx is apart and re-position the ring. The insides are super simple, you can't do anything wrong. Not sure if that would void your warranty though. You need to open it to be able to clean it properly so that it doesn't ignite debris anyway, so it would be a slap in the face if opening it would void the warrant.

Opening it does indeed void the warranty, but only if you cause a malfunction in the process of re-assembling it. Your premise, that it must be taken apart to be cleaned, is incorrect.

Last edited:

Bapao76

Are you sure you don't have a counterfeit? Much of what you describe does not match my experience (with over ten FF units in the past two years) or others' experience.

Specifically...

1. The finish shouldn't come off the buttons. I've never heard of that issue.
2. The battery covers on early models had some looseness issues, but those were fixed over a year ago. (You could ask FF to send you a new lid, but that's assuming you bought from them and don't have a fake.)
3. There is very little chance of anything falling into the holes on the stainless steel plate into the coil area. The holes are TINY. Even very fine material doesn't work its way into those holes easily. (Not sure what you mean by having to take it apart to clean it....I've cleaned mine a zillion times and never done more than wipe the surfaces, without ever requiring any disassembly).
4. If your FF power is weak, and you find the 770 wears "real quick", you may have a counterfeit. The 770s are very powerful, and lots of folks here have great results with them.

Finally, let's be clear here.....the Firefly is not a BETA. It was thoroughly beta-tested in house in 2013 prior to the first units being sold. Some manufacturers have beta-ed their devices with the general public, but FF has purposely not done this. It's not helpful to spread a mischaracterization about the state of the device. It's a production release model, not a beta, and based on past history, when the FF2 comes out it will be a fully-tested production model, not a beta. I'm sorry you're having issues, but if you contact FF (assuming you do not have a counterfeit, and there are pix on the FF site to help you determine this) I'm sure they will work with you on a replacement if your device is faulty.

Its an original, not a clone. I purchased it in Holland so I have to deal with the seller for warranty unfortunately.
A new battery cover is of no use to me, as the fault is in the plastic counterpiece on the body that has lost tension. The on/off button is white underneath the coating.
Stuff gets into the coil area, I have cleaned a bunch of crud out of it before. The holes are pretty big imo.
It feels like a beta product to me, it needs a bunch of refinements that should have been implemented before launch...the fact that some people have had theirs replaced so often is kinda telling.

Last edited:
Bapao76,

mitchgo61

Its an original, not a clone. I purchased it in Holland so I have to deal with the seller for warranty unfortunately.
A new battery cover is of no use to me, as the fault is in the plastic counterpiece on the body that has lost tension. The on/off button is white underneath the coating.
Stuff gets into the coil area, I have cleaned a bunch of crud out of it before. The holes are pretty big imo.
It feels like a beta product to me, it needs a bunch of refinements that should have been implemented before launch...the fact that some people have had theirs replaced so often is kinda telling.

The combo of "big holes" and material coming off the button still makes me question your unit's authenticity. I would send FF a mail with your SN and get confirmation from them. There is no reason why material should be getting into the coil especially if you are using the screen.

It might feel like a beta to you, but I strongly disagree with that characterization, as I think would many others. It's unfortunate that you are having problems, but the specific issues you mention are certainly not the more common reasons folks have had to return FFs (which mostly occurs if the coil fails). I've probably replaced more FFs than anyone in the universe but at no time have I considered the FF a "beta" version.

Bapao76

The combo of "big holes" and material coming off the button still makes me question your unit's authenticity. I would send FF a mail with your SN and get confirmation from them. There is no reason why material should be getting into the coil especially if you are using the screen.

It might feel like a beta to you, but I strongly disagree with that characterization, as I think would many others. It's unfortunate that you are having problems, but the specific issues you mention are certainly not the more common reasons folks have had to return FFs (which mostly occurs if the coil fails). I've probably replaced more FFs than anyone in the universe but at no time have I considered the FF a "beta" version.

Ugh...fine...I'll unbox it for you...

IMG_20150915_173518.jpg

IMG_20150915_173529.jpg

IMG_20150915_173542.jpg

IMG_20150915_173602.jpg

IMG_20150915_173611.jpg

IMG_20150915_173628.jpg

IMG_20150915_173641.jpg

IMG_20150915_173655.jpg

IMG_20150915_173716.jpg

IMG_20150915_173732.jpg

Real or fake? I already got a confirmation that it will be fixed so that's not a problem. I may only have a couple of posts, but I have read this entire thread and have posted here before...this thing just isn't up to scratch in my opinion and no amount of repairing it will take away my first bad impressions...

Bapao76,
Reactions: grokit

mitchgo61

Ugh...fine...I'll unbox it for you...

Real or fake? I already got a confirmation that it will be fixed so that's not a problem. I may only have a couple of posts, but I have read this entire thread and have posted here before...this thing just isn't up to scratch in my opinion and no amount of repairing it will take away my first bad impressions...

Hey, I was just trying to help. No need to convince me or post pix...looks like it's real, but I'm not religious about it. I don't think those holes look big (you might try a coarser grind....no way will anything larger than dust get in those). I'm not sure how anything is getting past that screen, which looks brand new.

If you don't like the FF, you don't like it. Different strokes. I was just addressing your specific feature issues, all of which are either eminently fixable or indicative of a counterfeit.

mitchgo61,

Bapao76

Hey, I was just trying to help. No need to convince me or post pix...looks like it's real, but I'm not religious about it. I don't think those holes look big (you might try a coarser grind....no way will anything larger than dust get in those). I'm not sure how anything is getting past that screen, which looks brand new.

If you don't like the FF, you don't like it. Different strokes. I was just addressing your specific feature issues, all of which are either eminently fixable or indicative of a counterfeit.

Sorry, had a long day, didn't mean to sound snappy. Sure, glad to hear you're into the device. Was just sharing my experience with it. It's getting fixed and we'll see where things go from there. Thanks for your input man. Time to vape and relax...

It's the second screen btw, I keep the thing nice and clean. You can see some debris under the screen...they start to degrade if you take them out too often. The debris gets under the screen via the sides, as the screen is slightly smaller than the metal piece under it and doesn't touch the o-ring around it.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

Sorry, had a long day, didn't mean to sound snappy. Sure, glad to hear you're into the device. Was just sharing my experience with it. It's getting fixed and we'll see where things go from there. Thanks for your input man. Time to vape and relax...

It's the second screen btw, I keep the thing nice and clean. You can see some debris under the screen...they start to degrade if you take them out too often. The debris gets under the screen via the sides, as the screen is slightly smaller than the metal piece under it and doesn't touch the o-ring around it.

No worries, I know how you feel...it can be super-frustrating when an expensive device doesn't work right. I know the frustration well, both with the FF and other portables. I cut FF slack because their service has been so great, and the device is so sublime when it operates correctly. I almost feel lucky that my FF issues have usually been catastrophic...it forces me to get a replacement and not live with minor feature annoyances.

I agree the screens get degraded when removed, and some stuff can get under mine, but I've never had the problem of stuff getting into the holes. I wonder if something isn't getting past your o-ring as opposed to falling into the holes via the plate.

In any event good luck with your resolution and maybe you'll end up with an FF that works better for you.

mitchgo61,

Bapao76

No worries, I know how you feel...it can be super-frustrating when an expensive device doesn't work right. I know the frustration well, both with the FF and other portables. I cut FF slack because their service has been so great, and the device is so sublime when it operates correctly. I almost feel lucky that my FF issues have usually been catastrophic...it forces me to get a replacement and not live with minor feature annoyances.

I agree the screens get degraded when removed, and some stuff can get under mine, but I've never had the problem of stuff getting into the holes. I wonder if something isn't getting past your o-ring as opposed to falling into the holes via the plate.

In any event good luck with your resolution and maybe you'll end up with an FF that works better for you.

Yeah, they say they'll try to repair it and if they can't, they'll send me a new one. I can appreciate a company that cares for its customers. If they had just cared enough to have some neutral people beta test these for 3 or so months before release. A lot of the issues could have been addressed before launch. I don't know if their budget was running low and they had to release, but yeah. A high price creates high hopes and it's just a shame is all.

Nah, I clean and service the o-rings every two weeks or so and everything lines up nice and tight in the bowl. The holes are what, .7mm in diameter or so? That's pretty large. They should have tried 7-8 smaller holes as opposed to 6 large ones, but the six big holes look nicer and are easier to manufacture I guess.

Last edited:
Bapao76,
Reactions: Jherst

UnshavenFish

At around 7 months now, still on firefly number one, and still going strong.

Just to touch on the whole bits under the screen thing, what I have been doing with good results is when putting the screen back in don't push it flat (normal position) instead insert it like a screen in a combustion bowl (sort of) basically push in the middle so the screen forms a natural curve/dome so that the middle is touching the bottom but the edge of the screen is against the glass of the bowl, I find doing this means nothing but the smallest of dust can get through and also the airflow seems a bit more even (less stirring/hot spots) it's also really easy to remove/replace/empty.

Bapao76

At around 7 months now, still on firefly number one, and still going strong.

Just to touch on the whole bits under the screen thing, what I have been doing with good results is when putting the screen back in don't push it flat (normal position) instead insert it like a screen in a combustion bowl (sort of) basically push in the middle so the screen forms a natural curve/dome so that the middle is touching the bottom but the edge of the screen is against the glass of the bowl, I find doing this means nothing but the smallest of dust can get through and also the airflow seems a bit more even (less stirring/hot spots) it's also really easy to remove/replace/empty.

Yeah, sounds legit bloke. Some people use Arizer screens which seems to help too. Just feel like I'm fixing something that should be better than it is though. Sorry for all the salt guys...

UnshavenFish

Sorry for all the salt guys...

No apology needed, you were just posting your experience/feelings not throwing around insults, the good thing about FC is we are all old enough and ugly enough not to take everything personal (well most of the time :D) I'm sure anyone with a defective unit would be a little pissed which could make all the little things/issues seem bigger, personally I think the firefly is as finished a vape as any other on the market, as most if not all have different methods with regards to screens and the like to personalise it to each owners wants/needs.

I've been lucky with all my vapes and none have gone wrong (yet :uhoh:) but that's probably more down to me not using my battery powered vapes as daily drivers, for me they are something to change things up a bit while my butane vapes get abused.

Anyway let us know how you get on with your new unit, all the best :tup:

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: mitchgo61

mitchgo61

No apology needed, you were just posting your experience/feelings not throwing around insults, the good thing about FC is we are all old enough and ugly enough not to take everything personal (well most of the time :D) I'm sure anyone with a defective unit would be a little pissed which could make all the little things/issues seem bigger, personally I think the firefly is as finished a vape as any other on the market, as most if not all have different methods with regards to screens and the like to personalise it to each owners wants/needs.

It is definitely a finished vape, and was thoroughly beta-tested prior to release, according to the FF folks (whom I tend to believe as they are pretty stand-up people). My issues with the FF are, in general, things that couldn't have easily been caught in a three or four month beta, ie. the longevity of the coil, and the subtle changes that occur in temp profile as the coil ages (subtle, but noticeable).

And yes, some of us are plenty old. :nod: Ugly? Matter of opinion....:lol:

Bapao76

Fish, think I'll sell it while it's hot. Might save up for the FF2 which will be way better methinks.

Mitch, I can appreciate how much you love this vape. Respect. I hope the FF people follow this thread because it's legit.

Jherst

I'm not overly impressed with my FF either but it could be partially to do with my old battery I guess. Seems like I can't finish a small amount yet if I pack a full bowl it starts to taste popcorny on like the third draw because the airflow is more restricted, and even then I don't feel like I'm getting even close to fully extracting my material. For what I paid I'm satisfied but had I paid retail I would be doing anything I could to get a refund. Not trying to bash it and for anyone who likes it that's awesome, just isn't for me and my massive tolerance I guess.

IMO a convection vaporizer needs much less air flow restriction to really shine.

Jherst,

I've been reading a thread that's talking about things like how whiskey ages in wooden barrels and stuff like that where some natural material imparts its flavors onto the product. They talk about how since vaporizers are made in the industrial era, they're made with materials that are refined so that they react predictably under stress, so they don't add any flavors. People always say the FF's flavor is amazing, and that it's the best flavor from any portable. There are portables with pure glass vapor paths, so I would think those would have better flavors if it was about being pure.

So here's what I'm thinking. Does the metal in the air path of the FF actually add to the flavor?

Quote,

Bapao76

I've been reading a thread that's talking about things like how whiskey ages in wooden barrels and stuff like that where some natural material imparts its flavors onto the product. They talk about how since vaporizers are made in the industrial era, they're made with materials that are refined so that they react predictably under stress, so they don't add any flavors. People always say the FF's flavor is amazing, and that it's the best flavor from any portable. There are portables with pure glass vapor paths, so I would think those would have better flavors if it was about being pure.

So here's what I'm thinking. Does the metal in the air path of the FF actually add to the flavor?

Stainless steel shouldn't degas at all. You would have more chance of the rubber of the o-rings, the foam lid insulation and the paint inside the chamber degassing if anything. The weld points that join the coil to the PCB could degas slightly I guess...

The air is pulled in through the back of the unit, over the paintwork of the main chamber (hot paintwork if the device is warmed up), through the coil holes in the ceramic heating chamber, over the coil and up through the heating chambers metal top-cap where it ends up in the glass bowl with the rubber o-ring and your herb. Only then does the air pick up vapor and actually make its way through the metal cooling channels. At the end of the cooling channels, the air + vapor pass the foam of the lid insulator and go through the chromed tip. So the air actually passes 8 different materials + the herb before you inhale it. If any of those materials degas, then you are most certainly inhaling whatever they let go and that can effect the taste of your draw.

Please ignore the following incorrect assumption, I was wrong.

Things with fewer components like the MFLB can still have the potential to degas something. The batteries of the MFLB for example...those are in the air flow path (as far as I can tell), what if those degas slightly through the positive pole?...you'd be inhaling that too...would that be worse than smoking your shiz with tobacco and paper? Probably not, but I'm no doctor so...who knows...

Last edited:
Bapao76,

The batteries of the MFLB for example...those are in the the air flow path (as far as I can tell), what if those degas slightly through the positive pole?...you'd be inhaling that too...
I am absolutely certain that the batteries are not in the air path. I'm not even gonna try to convince you.

Quote,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom