Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jherst

Just put a little dab on top of my bowl and wow. Nice huge clouds and the taste was great. Might just have to get some oil pads and a few batteries then use this thing for a concentrate portable :brow:

Jherst,
Reactions: Bapao76

Bapao76

I am absolutely certain that the batteries are not in the air path. I'm not even gonna try to convince you.

No need to try to convince me, if hey aren't, then they aren't. As said, just as far as I can tell. Anybody know what the air-hole in the back of the MFLB goes past? Is it sealed all the way to the chamber? Or is the hole for battery venting only? *Never mind, just read that the air intake is the indent under the lid*

@Jherst, that was my plan too if I'm unable to sell it after repair :-D

Last edited:
Bapao76,
Reactions: Jherst

studmuffin

Howdy, I read this post every day. I have been using my Firefly several times a day since April of 2014, and I have NEVER removed my bowl screen. I do clean the bowl with iso alcohol (70%) on a cotton-tipped swab every 5 bowls. I saturate the swab, and, holding the Firefly upside down, gripping the swab very near the tip, I gently but firmly swirl it around the inside of the bowl for about 5 seconds. Before the bowl dries, I pack a square of toilet paper into the bowl and rotate it around for about 3 seconds. Presto ! The bowl is clean enough, and the screen never had to vacate it's position of function. NO anxiety with screen removal/installation. NO mangled screens. The entire Firefly cleaning process takes me about 2 minutes, if I take my time. Peace-n-Love :love:

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Howdy, I read this post every day. I have been using my Firefly several times a day since April of 2014, and I have NEVER removed my bowl screen. I do clean the bowl with iso alcohol (70%) on a cotton-tipped swab every 5 bowls. I saturate the swab, and, holding the Firefly upside down, gripping the swab very near the tip, I gently but firmly swirl it around the inside of the bowl for about 5 seconds. Before the bowl dries, I pack a square of toilet paper into the bowl and rotate it around for about 3 seconds. Presto ! The bowl is clean enough, and the screen never had to vacate it's position of function. NO anxiety with screen removal/installation. NO mangled screens. The entire Firefly cleaning process takes me about 2 minutes, if I take my time. Peace-n-Love :love:
Same here. I use mine more like a few times a week, but have had it a few months longer :tup:

It's unquestionably one of those things where, if you can get away with never removing it, you will be glad you did. It is never the same once it's been removed, and a brand new one can never be seated perfectly flat, as in factory-new flat, without disassembly and possible warranty-voiding. It's worth remembering that the guy who designed it didn't really intend for the screen to be removable...he envisioned it as a more-or-less permanent fixture (and said something to the effect of "people seem to want to buy screens and replace them, so we made it removable..."). One of my wish-list items for FF2 is a more robust, permanent-ish screen that allows for more thorough cleaning without removal issues. (Fingers crossed! ;))

mitchgo61,
Reactions: hoptimum

Jherst

Vaped a little Holy Grail shatter on top of some Darkstar flower earlier and the taste was out of this world. I still wish there was a more open air path but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

https://vid.me/5Oro

Jherst,
Reactions: grokit

Tickdickler

Damn...that's a pain :-( What were the defects?

The heating element stopped working on the first one. It still lit up, but the orange light around the bowl was dimmer and no vapor was produced anymore. The one that just broke after 2 months made a pop noise while I was using it, then I got a horrible taste of burnt electronics. I obviously am not happy about this but I still believe the firefly is one of the best portables right now. Hopefully my 3rd one lasts awhile.

Tickdickler,

Bapao76

The heating element stopped working on the first one. It still lit up, but the orange light around the bowl was dimmer and no vapor was produced anymore. The one that just broke after 2 months made a pop noise while I was using it, then I got a horrible taste of burnt electronics. I obviously am not happy about this but I still believe the firefly is one of the best portables right now. Hopefully my 3rd one lasts awhile.

My coil snapped :-( Sending it in this weekend. Just glad I have reliable backup devices. They don't produce the nice flavor I get from the FF, but at least they work. I waited for 1.5 years for the FF to appear in Europe and was SUPER hyped to get an email from my re-seller when they finally got some in for sale. It was like Xmas in summer even though I forked over 250 Euros for it...sad that they are so fragile. I hope the FF2 has user replaceable coils without having to replace the whole PCB. Or DIY coils like I have been making for years for my eliquid vapes...that would be awesome as an option :-D

CurryLeafTreehugger

Have you checked the battery? There was a bad batch of 750mah batteries, they will replace it with the new 770mah battery if you just purchased your firefly new and got one of the old batteries.

I got 2 770mAH batteries so I don't think that's it. I did finally get someone to answer the phone but he sounded REALLY cranky and clearly did not want to talk to me. He asked me if the FF had a lot of resistance (on the draw) but then wouldn't explain why he asked that. Did not want to talk to me AT ALL, but at least somebody answered the phone. Said he would send an e-mail about how to return it but I've not seen it and I think its been a couple of weeks now at least since I got hold of them over there. Its probably lost in my e-mail somewhere. I was sick as a dog right after, still recovering so it probably got buried. I guess I'll have to call again and hope he's in a better mood or that I get to talk to someone else.

It literally took me WEEKS to get through last time. I am not looking forward to it. I vape for medical reasons - even if they replace it, the hassle is more than its worth to me at this point, on top of all that goes along with being disabled to start with. Not sleeping well without my meds, and have had to stop burning it as my roomie is concerned about the "no smoking" policy in the lease. Even though he couldn't smell a thing. He's fine with vaping, but I REALLy need a functional vape.

Such a disappointment.

*sigh*

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Bapao76

I got 2 770mAH batteries so I don't think that's it. I did finally get someone to answer the phone but he sounded REALLY cranky and clearly did not want to talk to me. He asked me if the FF had a lot of resistance (on the draw) but then wouldn't explain why he asked that. Did not want to talk to me AT ALL, but at least somebody answered the phone. Said he would send an e-mail about how to return it but I've not seen it and I think its been a couple of weeks now at least since I got hold of them over there. Its probably lost in my e-mail somewhere. I was sick as a dog right after, still recovering so it probably got buried. I guess I'll have to call again and hope he's in a better mood or that I get to talk to someone else.

It literally took me WEEKS to get through last time. I am not looking forward to it. I vape for medical reasons - even if they replace it, the hassle is more than its worth to me at this point, on top of all that goes along with being disabled to start with. Not sleeping well without my meds, and have had to stop burning it as my roomie is concerned about the "no smoking" policy in the lease. Even though he couldn't smell a thing. He's fine with vaping, but I REALLy need a functional vape.

Such a disappointment.

*sigh*

I recon they're just getting more and more people contacting them with issues and it's starting to grind on them...you shouldn't have been treated that way :-( To me, 250 bucks is definitely worth the hassle. If they push me back concerning my own repair request, then I will scorch them into submission via social media that's for sure. I have worked in customer care for 11 years and I know how this should work and what you describe does not sound promising at all...giving them the benefit of the doubt for now though.

Bapao76,

CurryLeafTreehugger

I call and instantly they pick up

I called at least 3 times a week or more for three weeks running and no one ever picked up the phone in any department. That's why I asked for an extension. There's an option to enter a specific extension # so I had hopes that if I could get a direct connection, I'd be able to talk to a human.

I did finally get through but the guy was short with me right off the bat. I can't find the e-mail he said he was going to send - its probably buried somewhere in my e-mail, I got deathly ill right after I talked to whoever it was and I'm just now recovering - so I'm going to have to call them again. Oh goody.

At this point I would rather sell the thing than try to deal with this any more, I'm just not up to the hassle. But I wouldn't feel good about selling an apparently malfunctioning device, so I am stuck at this point.

They moved half of my conversation about these issues into another thread (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/please-help-me-transition-to-vaping.19203/#post-841808) and then they LOCKED THAT! And I have no idea why they (1) moved my pleas for help and (2) then turned around and locked the very thread they themselves created supposedly so I could get better help than from this thread. So I can't even respond to people on that thread who wanted to be helpful.

I really really REALLY do not understand what goes on around here. Between my apparently non-functional FF, and strangeness about trying to get some help with it, I am at a total loss. I just feel like crying. I was so excited to get my FF, and I gave it a good long try. This has all been such a let-down.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Bapao76

I called at least 3 times a week or more for three weeks running and no one ever picked up the phone in any department. That's why I asked for an extension. There's an option to enter a specific extension # so I had hopes that if I could get a direct connection, I'd be able to talk to a human.

I did finally get through but the guy was short with me right off the bat. I can't find the e-mail he said he was going to send - its probably buried somewhere in my e-mail, I got deathly ill right after I talked to whoever it was and I'm just now recovering - so I'm going to have to call them again. Oh goody.

At this point I would rather sell the thing than try to deal with this any more, I'm just not up to the hassle. But I wouldn't feel good about selling an apparently malfunctioning device, so I am stuck at this point.

They moved half of my conversation about these issues into another thread (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/please-help-me-transition-to-vaping.19203/#post-841808) and then they LOCKED THAT! And I have no idea why they (1) moved my pleas for help and (2) then turned around and locked the very thread they themselves created supposedly so I could get better help than from this thread. So I can't even respond to people on that thread who wanted to be helpful.

I really really REALLY do not understand what goes on around here. Between my apparently non-functional FF, and strangeness about trying to get some help with it, I am at a total loss. I just feel like crying. I was so excited to get my FF, and I gave it a good long try. This has all been such a let-down.

It's quite acceptable to go ape-shiz on social media nowadays if you don't get help. It's the new way of doing things. First ask nicely on Twitter and Facebook. If that doesn't help after a couple of attempts, you start to blast them. In moderation of course, you want other people to sympathize with you as opposed to thinking you're an azzhole...talk about being ill and at a loss, that will help.

Bapao76,

CurryLeafTreehugger

It's quite acceptable to go ape-shiz on social media nowadays if you don't get help. It's the new way of doing things. First ask nicely on Twitter and Facebook. If that doesn't help after a couple of attempts, you start to blast them. In moderation of course, you want other people to sympathize with you as opposed to thinking you're an azzhole...talk about being ill and at a loss, that will help.

Aw man ... I just can't do that. Even venting on this thread which is fairly non-confrontational as things go on the Intertubes sort of bothers me, LOL!

I'll try to remember to call them tomorrow - which is already today I guess, I'm not sleeping well again sans meds - and hope for the best. Maybe I just happened to catch them during a rough patch.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Bapao76

Aw man ... I just can't do that. Even venting on this thread which is fairly non-confrontational as things go on the Intertubes sort of bothers me, LOL!

I'll try to remember to call them tomorrow - which is already today I guess, I'm not sleeping well again sans meds - and hope for the best. Maybe I just happened to catch them during a rough patch.

If calling doesn't help then SM might be your last resort...I can understand that you don't like confrontation, I used to be like that too when I was younger. Now that I'm a grumpy old fart, I just let rip when I get treated unfairly/ badly and tend to get my way as a result. Is that my preferred way of dealing with things? Of course not, it's stressful. But it has worked out for me thus far. Sometimes you gotta be a dick to get your way. Good luck either way m8.

Bapao76,
Reactions: Jherst

CurryLeafTreehugger

Doesn't your email have a search function?

Essentially, no. It's hotmail, which is now outlook-online. The search function is sucky and has been for years. I have literally had the e-mail I want on-screen, entered the from address in the search box, and it STILL doesn't find it.

If calling doesn't help then SM might be your last resort...I can understand that you don't like confrontation, I used to be like that too when I was younger. Now that I'm a grumpy old fart, I just let rip when I get treated unfairly/ badly and tend to get my way as a result. Is that my preferred way of dealing with things? Of course not, it's stressful. But it has worked out for me thus far. Sometimes you gotta be a dick to get your way. Good luck either way m8.

LOL, I am the exact opposite! In my youth, I had no problem wading right in and making it come out "right" - eg my way.

However I am now old, decrepit, and worn out. I just don't have the intestinal wherewithal for this kind of stuff left over after dealing with pain, fatigue, and general non-well-being.

Now that I've revisited herbal nirvana (as it were) I realize just how badly I sleep these days. You get used to a certain level of being and take that as your norm. I thought I'd been sleeping fairly well - until I got my first decent night's sleep in over a decade after a visit from our herbal friend. While I was still burning things, I did noticeably better all day on all fronts - pain, fatigue, memory, concentration, ability to think and reason more clearly.

Pain pills, sleeping pills, and all their ilk are all tolerated very poorly by my system. Pain pills in particular are right out, as they knock me flat (as in unconscious) and then I wake up not only still tired, still in pain, but now with nausea and a splitting headache.

But my herbal friend left me feeling refreshed, relaxed, and well-rested. I'll be glad when I can get it going again. Now that I have seen the promised land, I'm not tolerating the same levels of pain and fatigue to which I had become accustomed over the years all that well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bapao76

LOL, I am the exact opposite! In my youth, I had no problem wading right in and making it come out "right" - eg my way.

However I am now old, decrepit, and worn out. I just don't have the intestinal wherewithal for this kind of stuff left over after dealing with pain, fatigue, and general non-well-being.

Now that I've revisited herbal nirvana (as it were) I realize just how badly I sleep these days. You get used to a certain level of being and take that as your norm. I thought I'd been sleeping fairly well - until I got my first decent night's sleep in over a decade after a visit from our herbal friend. While I was still burning things, I did noticeably better all day on all fronts - pain, fatigue, memory, concentration, ability to think and reason more clearly.

Pain pills, sleeping pills, and all their ilk are all tolerated very poorly by my system. Pain pills in particular are right out, as they knock me flat (as in unconscious) and then I wake up not only still tired, still in pain, but now with nausea and a splitting headache.

But my herbal friend left me feeling refreshed, relaxed, and well-rested. I'll be glad when I can get it going again. Now that I have seen the promised land, I'm not tolerating the same levels of pain and fatigue to which I had become accustomed over the years all that well.

Sound. Look...need me to take care of it for you bloke? Because I am not a fan of how you were treated. Are you still looking for the email btw?

CurryLeafTreehugger

Sound. Look...need me to take care of it for you bloke? Because I am not a fan of how you were treated. Are you still looking for the email btw?

Honestly, not that bad. Keep in mind I am not the firebrand I was in my youth. When I say "cranky" I mean just that - not mean, or cruel, the guy was just a little cranky. Which makes me feel guilty because it was like I was adding to his bad day, LOL!

No worries, I'll get it sorted. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the offer of your assistance. There have been days when I might have needed that. It's nice to know there are people out there who are willing to put themselves out for others. Folks like you seem to be in short supply sometimes. You have brightened my day considerably. Thank you!

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Edric al-Fali

First off

What do people use for a case? Anyone know of one that's smell proof and small enough to be pocketable? Maybe all you'd need is something to cover the mouthpiece?

There's not much that would be pocketable especially with the size already. You can use a waterproof bag/case for a cell phone that would work. This would be the easiest to find a matching size for and your best smell proof bet.
If you can get ahold of a small zip up hard glasses case that was an ideal size, it would work nicely. You could get away with the soft leather sleeve glasses case, but I suspect the battery cover would come off putting it in or taking it out depending on the direction. I use a nice safety glass case but it's big enough to also carry a plastic gum case for leftovers and my AllIn1E. So yeah, zip up cases can work well for covering the smell.
While I trust the seal around the cover, "that" smell can get through everything. I never fully trust any case and usually carry a case in a backpack.

Second off, Hi!

So, I'm new here and after reading the thread, I have to add my two cents in on the Firefly because I notice a few other complaints about the taste and smell and the questioning of the quality of the cover.
First off, after using an early generation iolite, I felt astonished with the quality of the Firefly. I actually took one too many hits one time.

I loved the heater as I felt like it was topping off at 400 and wasn't getting too hot. I was learning how to get massive hits on the second day. Something didn't taste right though; with every great hit with optimum vapor, I got a strong taste of chemical or maybe metal.

The inside vapor path of the cover wasn't the same stainless steel as the main unit and made me wonder what the inside of the lid was actually made of. Is it a plating or a coating?
I wrote and made phone calls and will be getting a replacement soon; hopefully by saturday. They also said they haven't encountered this problem before either. I also read what I think was on this thread about the cover being made from a material that needs to be fully cured. So maybe...? I want to now what I was breathing in.

I probably didn't need to send it in, but that taste was so unsettling and strong. It even stained the inside of the box. When I was packing it back up, I opened the box to put the firefly away and the smell hit me full force.

The closest thing it reminded me of was when I used Bacardi 151 to clean my iolite and didn't "rinse" it out. I'm not willing to try again to find out just yet tho.

Anyway, after reading this thread, while I agree with other people's overall satisfaction, I am horrified at the return rate. I am wondering if I have the patience and stamina for the amount of returns I might be facing.

Last edited:
Edric al-Fali,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Interesting little teaser post from FF on Facebook.

"Sasha has been hard at work today! Here is a behind the scenes look at his kitchen table."

9zlxsi.jpg

I asked if any of these parts relate to the FF2, but unlike some companies, FF won't let on till they have something concrete to say. :p

Jherst

If any of you guys have a Firefly and like concentrates but haven't tried the pads yet...DO IT! Just got mine in and after giving them an ISO soak they taste absolutely incredible and you can get lung busting clouds with a little dab. Before I soaked them I was getting a really weird bad taste so I'd highly recommend cleaning before use.

Last edited:
Jherst,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom