Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Stacey @ FF waited until they recieved my returned unit before thinking about sending a replacement...if I would not have been a little grumpy my FF would still be in transit there. Buying two units from this company is what I desire but not what I will do. They need to get some problems worked out of the system before that extra investment. My unit failed, no heat and FF wanted me to pay shipping to them. This change in the warranty procedure has me frustrated with them. Return number 264, my first was nuber 26. This will be number four replacement, over 100 miles driving to FedX and I'm still without. Being grumpy saved me some time but still will end up taking 9 days. Grumpy without me FF.

Well the return policy has always required us to pay postage back to them...I had to do this when I sent in my old Silver unit. However, I am mystified by this 7-10 day period. Once they have the unit, why wait a week or more to assess it and fix/replace it? They used to look at it the day they got it. This is horrible customer service, especially in light of all the first gen issues they've been having. Come on FF...you've kept us as loyal customers largely through excellent service. Don't drop the ball now.

Good luck with your replacement...I hope you weather the "no FF" period ok my friend. I know how you feel!

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Well the return policy has always required us to pay postage back to them...I had to do this when I sent in my old Silver unit. However, I am mystified by this 7-10 day period. Once they have the unit, why wait a week or more to assess it and fix/replace it? They used to look at it the day they got it. This is horrible customer service, especially in light of all the first gen issues they've been having. Come on FF...you've kept us as loyal customers largely through excellent service. Don't drop the ball now.

Good luck with your replacement...I hope you weather the "no FF" period ok my friend. I know how you feel!

I think they were a little genereous with the past return policey. That I'm sure cost them a small fortune with the issues their Chinese manufacturers have been saddleing them with. If the design of these units were not so outrageously great, even with their issues, I problably would just move on to another manufacturer. After complaining to Stacey she did take my unit back and they paid the second day air, she even tried to have them pick up the unit saving me drive time. I wish them to get all the first gen issues out of the way so I can indeed buy a second unit. I'm hoping I too can get as many draws as you my friend. I was only getting maybe 5 or 6 good ones. I'll adjust my technique and see if I can extract more goodies as you report here. Thank you and have an awsome day.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I think they were a little genereous with the past return policey. That I'm sure cost them a small fortune with the issues

Even if they were generous, stupid or whatever with their past returns they should not take it out on us. 7-10 days from when they receive it just to process your return is horrible. They are either getting a tremendous amount of returns in or don't know how to handle customer service efficiently. This is disappointing to say the least Especially after spending so much money on this device, and all the discrepancies between units. And then god forbid they decide to repair it that's even more time waiting...this is just horrible especially for those of us who have been through multiple exchanges already.

Its just stupid. So basically their new warranty policy is "there is a 7-10 day processing period from when we receive your faulty unit. In that time we will let you know whether a repair or exchange will be made and then shipped out.........unless....you call and whine and complain...then we will speed things up a few days"

Mynameismud,
Reactions: mckeen

mitchgo61

Its just stupid. So basically their new warranty policy is "there is a 7-10 day processing period from when we receive your faulty unit. In that time we will let you know whether a repair or exchange will be made and then shipped out.........unless....you call and whine and complain...then we will speed things up a few days"

Yep. And since the obvious moral of this story is "make sure you call and whine and complain" (which any of us would do once we know that could speed up the return), maybe FF will learn a lesson from this...don't delay your return process unnecessarily, else you'll burn a lot of person-hour cycles taking calls and emails from upset customers.

mitchgo61,

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
I would think there new policy is to help avoid hasty exchanges for proper working units with operator error. I would suspect they replaced a number of working units to help keep the launch smooth, and customers happy. Then when they went back and retested the replaced units they found "x" amount were functioning correctly, and "y" amount were justifiable in needing replaced. While I do agree 7-10 days is a extended amount of time, it may be needed now that they have many units out in the field. I hope they can shave that down to 3-5 days for inspection. I am loving my FF and hope I never have to send it in, as this would make me sad. :tup:

A side note on warranties, I had to pay for return shipping and a $25 warranty processing fee when I used the arizer warranty and the process took 21 days. Davinci has also changed there warranty process, requiring a copy of reciept and you pay return shipping. Last time it took 10 days just to get the rma e mail and I misplaced the reciept even though I recieved it directly from DV, now they won't honor the warranty ? Puffit (Lilly Rucky) had me pay return shipping to china, then refunded me for shipping. This was also a extended process. Ok, I don't want this to get to far off topic, I thought this would/ might be helpful to share some of my return experiances. :tup:

mitchgo61

I would think there new policy is to help avoid hasty exchanges for proper working units with operator error. I would suspect they replaced a number of working units to help keep the launch smooth, and customers happy. Then when they went back and retested the replaced units they found "x" amount were functioning correctly, and "y" amount were justifiable in needing replaced. While I do agree 7-10 days is a extended amount of time, it may be needed now that they have many units out in the field. I hope they can shave that down to 3-5 days for inspection. I am loving my FF and hope I never have to send it in, as this would make me sad. :tup:

Hmmm....I don't know. This implies they're so backlogged that they cannot inspect/test units within one biz day of receiving them. I don't think they've had that many returns. Additionally, in mid-March when they received my Silver FF, they had tested it within hours of receiving it. (I know because I know when it was signed for, and later that same afternoon Shelby emailed me to tell me one of techs opened it up and tested it and determined the coil was misaligned.) Maybe they really are that backlogged...maybe they are short-staffed. Maybe most of the problems are taking longer than an hour or two to diagnose. In any event, it's a little non-credible that they are so backed up they need more than a business week, and up to two biz weeks, to open, test, and even determine whether the unit is reparable (we're not talking about 7-10 days to send it back out, just to even respond to the user about next steps.)

This just seems way too long, and unnecessary, and fairly antithetical to the extremely high standard of service they've set up to now.

A side note on warranties, I had to pay for return shipping and a $25 warranty processing fee when I used the arizer warranty and the process took 21 days. Davinci has also changed there warranty process, requiring a copy of reciept and you pay return shipping. Last time it took 10 days just to get the rma e mail and I misplaced the reciept even though I recieved it directly from DV, now they won't honor the warranty ? Puffit (Lilly Rucky) had me pay return shipping to china, then refunded me for shipping. This was also a extended process. Ok, I don't want this to get to far off topic, I thought this would/ might be helpful to share some of my return experiances. :tup:

Yeah that is a pretty frightening couple of stories there. FF service does look good compared to that, even with a 7 day delay.

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
I believe the whole business is turning out to be more than they expected. They have been ultra successful. They are a new business and it seems they have been caught of guard here. Still, they have been honorable.

I have to agree, they have been honorable. I can complain further but I'm not going to. I'm attracted to this little invention. If it were not for FC I would have purchased an Ascent. So, just trying to let everyone here know what's going on. After all is said and done, I will have another brand new Firefly to put through it's paces. The problems I experienecd were mostly related to fit and finish or my error wipping the seal with the alcohol swabs causing the seals delamination. My fault and the company provided a replacement. They could have sent me a $35 dollar lid but they sent me a brand new unit overnite air. All units functioned perfectly, as designed. The last return was my first true malfunction, no heat.

"I would think there new policy is to help avoid hasty exchanges for proper working units with operator error. I would suspect they replaced a number of working units to help keep the launch smooth, and customers happy. Then when they went back and retested the replaced units they found "x" amount were functioning correctly, and "y" amount were justifiable in needing replaced."

Exactly as described above so well. Thank you underdog.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
just to let you know....my ff in silver is on its way to me! thanks for this forum and especially for one member (don´t know if he wants to be known)!
Hope I am able to find some sleep till my baby is here....
You are welcome! And thanks for your concern. Hope it makes the journey safely and you enjoy it of course!

I have to agree, they have been honorable. I can complain further but I'm not going to. I'm attracted to this little invention. If it were not for FC I would have purchased an Ascent. So, just trying to let everyone here know what's going on. After all is said and done, I will have another brand new Firefly to put through it's paces. The problems I experienecd were mostly related to fit and finish or my error wipping the seal with the alcohol swabs causing the seals delamination. My fault and the company provided a replacement. They could have sent me a $35 dollar lid but they sent me a brand new unit overnite air. All units functioned perfectly, as designed. The last return was my first true malfunction, no heat.

"I would think there new policy is to help avoid hasty exchanges for proper working units with operator error. I would suspect they replaced a number of working units to help keep the launch smooth, and customers happy. Then when they went back and retested the replaced units they found "x" amount were functioning correctly, and "y" amount were justifiable in needing replaced."

Exactly as described above so well. Thank you underdog.

What seal are you talking about with the alcohol swabs? The rubber gasket that around the port that is a known problem? Or we're you the one with the whole thing peeling up on the underside?

mitchgo61

What seal are you talking about with the alcohol swabs? The rubber gasket that around the port that is a known problem? Or we're you the one with the whole thing peeling up on the underside?

A couple different users reported this problem...the gray silicone seal on the magnetic lid peeling right off of the metal. I don't know that iso is really the cause of it...I've always cleaned this seal with a paper towel slightly damp with iso wiped very gently on the seal and so far it hasn't caused any problems. I'm sure if you flooded the thing it might cause an issue, as it does for the port gasket (but that can also be dislodged by rubbing too hard on the window even without iso).

Someone posted pictures of this seal-peeling issue some pages back. Kind of alarming, actually!

Last edited:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
A couple different users reported this problem...the gray silicone seal on the magnetic lid peeling right off of the metal. I don't know that iso is really the cause of it...I've always cleaned this seal with a paper towel slightly damp with iso wiped very gently on the seal and so far it hasn't caused any problems. I'm sure if you flooded the thing it might cause an issue, as it does for the port gasket (but that can also be dislodged by rubbing too hard on the window even without iso).

Someone posted pictures of this seal peeling issue some pages back. Kind of alarming, actually!
yeah that's the picture I saw and was referring to. I usually use a qtip and ISO, I just got a firefly cleaning kit though for the wiped but now maybe I won't use them or only in emergency

Mynameismud,

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
yeah that's the picture I saw and was referring to. I usually use a qtip and ISO, I just got a firefly cleaning kit though for the wiped but now maybe I won't use them or only in emergency

You can use them without issue. Those pics were mine and the seal glue did not stick to the seal. All the adhesive stuck to the lid. In my opinion the alcohol swab had nothing to do with the seal delaminating.

mckeen,

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Just a bad batch of lids maybe?

That's a good way to put it...new company, new product, new employee's, very small mistake. I know the first one I purchased was a booboo nothing more. They were very gracious, sent me a new unit pronto. In my opinion, Firefly has the best customer service since the milk man.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been addressed, but maybe someone wouldn't mind saving me the trouble of reading through multiple pages? How is the FF on conservation? Does it work well with a few pinches or does the bowl need to be full?

TheDudeNextDoor,

euph0ric1

Floating on.
I'm sure this has been addressed, but maybe someone wouldn't mind saving me the trouble of reading through multiple pages? How is the FF on conservation? Does it work well with a few pinches or does the bowl need to be full?

A few pinches will definitely work. The FF will vape even the tiniest amounts.. But it seems to really shine when the bowl is filled to the top. Not packed down, just filled up to the top with a medium grind (which still doesn't take much.) It's ridiculously efficient.

imasinner

Just Some Loser
So, my wallet is starting to hate this forum.

I read through every page of this thread (after JUST buying a PAX) and I kept trying to convince myself that I didn't need this vaporizer... The more I read, the harder that became. By the time I got to page 110, I bought one. For the first three days, I hated Ray (I named my FF Ray), but once I learned how to use him... oh my. Don't get me wrong, I still love my PAX (I call him the Green Lantern), but Ray is definitely the first vaporizer I reach for at home while waiting for my LSV to heat up.

Thanks to all of you (too many to go back and name) for the tips and hints that lead me to my new treasure. I took Ray out hiking the other day so I'll have to post some pictures when I'm not so... medicated.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So, my wallet is starting to hate this forum.

I read through every page of this thread (after JUST buying a PAX) and I kept trying to convince myself that I didn't need this vaporizer... The more I read, the harder that became. By the time I got to page 110, I bought one. For the first three days, I hated Ray (I named my FF Ray), but once I learned how to use him... oh my. Don't get me wrong, I still love my PAX (I call him the Green Lantern), but Ray is definitely the first vaporizer I reach for at home while waiting for my LSV to heat up.

Thanks to all of you (too many to go back and name) for the tips and hints that lead me to my new treasure. I took Ray out hiking the other day so I'll have to post some pictures when I'm not so... medicated.

Welcome to FC. I will call you... Nicknamer.

mitchgo61

A few pinches will definitely work. The FF will vape even the tiniest amounts.. But it seems to really shine when the bowl is filled to the top. Not packed down, just filled up to the top with a medium grind (which still doesn't take much.) It's ridiculously efficient.

I agree...for me a full, slightly packed bowl, works best....something around .15-.2 g's. I find the FF much more efficient when you fill the bowl completely...seems to work better with a critical mass of material. :2c:

ktom1991

For those of you whose fireflies have broken about how long have they lasted until they failed?

Mines in for warranty right now...it was going strong for about 3 1/2 months with heavy use in a variety of environments. Took my trusty dark grey firefly everywhere without worry of it failing. I'm standing in line for the Denver cannabis cup on 420. Boom. No heat no glow. Talk about bad luck!

(Edit: my firefly had been running warmer the week or two prior but didn't think anything of it till it broke...guessing the coil was touching one if the ceramic elements making it disapate more heat and cause the coil to fail?)

Talked to Shelby. Excellent customer service! My firefly arrived in Seattle yesterday and she said my replacement or fixed FF should be in the mail by the end of the day!

On another note...A topic for discussion... What instruction do you give people when you hand them a firefly for the first time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom