The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

malsanti

You guys are right. I just need to be patient. New product and all. Other than one time, they have always picked up the phone and been nice. Delay is not a biggie. I can wait for something cool. Was just a bit tired earlier on! Hopefully i get a unit that doesn't have any hitches.

JustsVapeityo

So my wife decided to use the firefly for the first time without me today. Now the light blinks blue a few times and goes solid red whenever i try to charge either battery. Besides this everything seems to be working for now. Sent an email to Firefly but from what i can tell everything works except charging and of course i don't have an external charger so i could still use it but it will be a brick real soon. Any suggestions?

JustsVapeityo,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
So my wife decided to use the firefly for the first time without me today. Now the light blinks blue a few times and goes solid red whenever i try to charge either battery. Besides this everything seems to be working for now. Sent an email to Firefly but from what i can tell everything works except charging and of course i don't have an external charger so i could still use it but it will be a brick real soon. Any suggestions?

A red light while charging usually means it's too hot....just make sure it's had a chance to cool down and that you aren't trying to charge it while it's too warm. Other than that you can try unpairing and re-pairing the app to the FF....and you can also try a different USB block.

Did something weird happen when she was using it?

JustsVapeityo

A red light while charging usually means it's too hot....just make sure it's had a chance to cool down and that you aren't trying to charge it while it's too warm. Other than that you can try unpairing and re-pairing the app to the FF....and you can also try a different USB block.

Did something weird happen when she was using it?

Yea she said it got hot and flashed red. This was hours before i got home. Its been cold as ice sitting on the charger with its solid red light and dead battery for a while. I did try messing with other power blocks, usb cables, swap battery, and still solid red light.

JustsVapeityo,
Question: The firefly2 is so stealthy in terms of odor i am wondering if i could use it along with smoke buddy to be undetectable in a closed environment.

I took it across border cause u can really clean it though u got to deal with the mouthpiece that gets pretty gummy

MonsterWithoutBorders,

Pears

Question: The firefly2 is so stealthy in terms of odor i am wondering if i could use it along with smoke buddy to be undetectable in a closed environment.

I took it across border cause u can really clean it though u got to deal with the mouthpiece that gets pretty gummy
It still smells a bit, mostly when opening to stir. My family was able to detect the smell even with a smoke buddy but it definitely is one of the least smelly.

huxley

I am really happy that your problem is solved but you have to see that you are an exception, your post got exposure, you got contacted by phone by top management. What about @toecutter who had the exact same issue yesterday and was refused to even return the device?

@Santiponce Yes, thank you, I just saw their post. I agree very much, it is unfair the special treatment I received if it is not available to everyone easily.

In the meantime, does anyone have contact info that goes above the tech support level? If I'm unable to get in touch with anyone, I guess social media/Twitter is my only recourse, though I'm not terribly keen on going nuclear-public.

@toecutter Check your PM. I am sorry yours has the bad taste as did both of my units thus far. I feel better in one sense that I am not alone tasting this-- also we may be among the very few who bothered to try it with no herbal materials loaded, and also whom both refused to put herb in it to see if it would get better. So I very much sympathize with your predicament.

This policy of 100% disallowing all open box returns even for 'unused with herb' units can only cause ill-will. One suggestion I can and will make to FF... is they should create an explicit written policy that allows returns on open box units if they have never had any herbs put through them.

FF sells additional mouthpieces so they can easily refurbish it with that and whatever else they need to do reclaim some money.

This would allow the very tiny minority of users who decide to try it without any herb-- and of those, those who detect some smell-- it will allow them some recourse of returning it without frustration, ill-will, or chargebacks. A win-win.

huxley,

murf2010

Sent mine in for warranty a month ago. No show, these guys were absolutely not prepared.

murf2010,

FreshAir

Murf what do you mean by no show? I still haven't managed to have them send me the prepaid label. Shame that the advertising is so good but the service is subpar.

FreshAir,

jdot23

Hey so I have been using my FF2 without any issues the past 3+ weeks, it has been fantastic. Easily my favorite vape (I have used cano, mighty, crafty, ssv, etc). However, tonight I tried to vape and the unit produced a weird smell I got my normal great clouds but the burnt material smelled different then usual. I thought it was the material, so I tried another strain but I still got the same result. Should I be concerned? Definitely an odd burnt smell, I cannot taste a difference but I cannot taste anything I have had a terrible cold the last couple days. Thanks for your help. Enjoy the holiday weekend.

jdot23,

HerbieVonVapster

Hey so I have been using my FF2 without any issues the past 3+ weeks, it has been fantastic. Easily my favorite vape (I have used cano, mighty, crafty, ssv, etc). However, tonight I tried to vape and the unit produced a weird smell I got my normal great clouds but the burnt material smelled different then usual. I thought it was the material, so I tried another strain but I still got the same result. Should I be concerned? Definitely an odd burnt smell, I cannot taste a difference but I cannot taste anything I have had a terrible cold the last couple days. Thanks for your help. Enjoy the holiday weekend.

Have you tried cleaning the unit then running a empty bowl on high to see if still getting the smell?

Only odd taste I ever found on unit was when I was messing around. If I sucked on mouthpiece with lid off and finger covering intake hole above there's a odd taste. Figure this is not the way intended to use and don't think it's a issue?

Last edited:
HerbieVonVapster,

jdot23

Have you tried cleaning the unit then running a empty bowl on high to see if still getting the smell?

Only odd taste I ever found on unit was when I was messing around. If I sucked on mouthpiece with lid off and finger covering intake hole above there's a odd taste. Figure this is not the way intended to use and don't think it's a issue?

Hey thanks for your suggestion. I cleaned it and tried an empty bowl still getting that smell, not so much a taste. It is just a smell when I put my nose up to the bowl. Is it possible that a small piece of material got under the bowl and is just burning off in the heating element? hope nothing is wrong with my unit. Thanks for your help.

jdot23,

greenextinguisher

I think this is its major stealth feature besides being pretty small. I alluded to the same process for going no smell with a smoke buddy in my write up. Of course, some strains are just fucking smelly, so no guarantees.

OK, I know I said I've never seen the end of a battery. Since going high temp, that has definitely changed:rockon:

I may fiddle with concentrate mode a little tonight or tomorrow night. I'm wondering if that can be leveraged as a milaana jr setting. :nod: The FF2 has me vaping too much. :rofl:

mitchgo61

Hey thanks for your suggestion. I cleaned it and tried an empty bowl still getting that smell, not so much a taste. It is just a smell when I put my nose up to the bowl. Is it possible that a small piece of material got under the bowl and is just burning off in the heating element? hope nothing is wrong with my unit. Thanks for your help.

Unlikely. Not easy for something to get past the restrictor plate, and even if something did it would burn off fairly quickly.

EDIT: Hey, can you snap a pic, maybe with a flash, of the inside of the bowl?

Last edited:

mitchgo61

https://goo.gl/photos/Pp3wqxWaLswTyab2A

above is a link to photos of the bowl, thanks. still not sure whats going on

Hmmm. Nothing looks obviously weird. You said you cleaned it so I assume you've brushed out the debris around the bottom edge of the bowl.....but if you haven't give that a good brushing and a wipe with some ISO (a slightly damp paper towel). I guess it's possible you have some buildup there that's causing this problem.....but it f you've done that already, I'm out of ideas at the moment. :hmm:

mitchgo61,

Atanyrhate

Hi guys. I wanted to jump in and share my thoughts about my FF2.

First off, I want to say this website was very much appreciated as I researched portable vaping options.

I've been using a SSV for several years now, and I like it very much. Like many others here, I can no longer stand the taste of smoking any longer, and wonder how I ever endured it in the first place. This device hooked me on vaping forever... or until the next evolution of extraction comes along-if ever. The only downsides to it is a) it's a bitch to clean...trying to keep the hose clean is a nightmare, and b) it's clearly not portable. While I have taken with me on trips, it's not something I am interested in carrying around to visit friends.

About a year ago I bought a Pax 1, and I never really cared for it. I wanted the portability, but the smell was too intense and I didn't care for the taste. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine who absolutely loves it. I'm glad it went to a good home.

After this experience, I didn't consider getting another portable. I just didn't see anything on the market at the time that grabbed me. Also, the SSV was taking care of business. Since I normally vape in the evening before bed, portability really wasn't critical. Mainly, I want to be able to travel more easily, as well as be able to conveniently vape in the living room while watching movies without having to drag the SSV all over the house.

I recently had a pretty major surgery, and was going to be laid up for awhile without access to my SSV. I decided to get something portable for this period of time. I found a lot of good information about conduction v. convection and decided, based off of my Pax experience (seriously, it's a good vape, just not for me), that I definitely needed a proper convection vape. This was about the time the FF2 was being released, so it seemed the best choice.

I began following this thread after watching the videos/reviews that I found online. I had already preordered, so I was interested in the experiences others were having. Honestly, had I not already preordered mine, I would have probably held off until after this first batch is done and the final production models were in stock. But since it was on the way, I just went with it. I'm glad I did. Overall, it's been a pretty good experience.

I ordered my black one on 5/13, and it shipped to me on the 25th, with me receiving it on 5/26. I also ordered the external charger, not realizing it did't come with the cord. Luckily my Braven BRV-X cord works perfectly. I use this charger exclusively.

So, shipping for me was fine. I ordered it directly from FF.

I noticed a slight "new" smell when I first used it, but that went away after 2 bowls and I didn't consider it an issue.

The unit wouldn't charge in the cradle. The light never turned solid blue, even after hours and hours. I started to use the external charger, and it's been working perfectly. I would have been pissed if I didn't have the external charger, and would consider this to be an issue. It's nothing that affects me though. I much prefer the usability of the external charger. I can properly charge/maintain my batteries better. I would be tempted to overcharge my batteries if I used the cradle.

I initially had issues with vape production, and felt very disappointed. I then remembered how I felt the same way with the SSV at first until I really dialed in my technique. It's second nature now. So I experimented with grinds and draws, and now the FF2 works perfectly. I bought a 3 piece Santa Cruz, and it does the trick. I have started just keeping it in the grinder, and scooping it into the FF2 with a tiny 1/8 tsp metal spoon straight from there. That and LSD ftw.

I use mine on High. My battery life is only about 2.5 bowls per battery. I find this to be on the low side, but with the external charger and extra battery, this is a non-issue for me.

The flavor is just goddamned incredible. Better than anything I have ever tried. Just amazing.

I do tend to stir more and more as the bowl goes on, but this doesn't bother me.

I always save the duff to re-vape in my SSV. I find that I can get 2 -3 more hits out of it once the FF2 is finished with it. No big deal. I guess that means that the FF2 isn't as efficient as the SSV? I don't know. All I know is that I really like having that little emergency stash!

I'm looking forward for the updated app with the fixed battery meter. And I can't wait to try wax. I have a feeling that I might switch and use my FF2 for wax exclusively. Maybe.

Overall, I am very happy. And I thank everyone here for your posts/opinions/informations, it's been very helpful.

Baron23

First off, I want to say this website was very much appreciated as I researched portable vaping options.

I've been using a SSV for several years now, and I like it very much. Like many others here, I can no longer stand the taste of smoking any longer, and wonder how I ever endured it in the first place. This device hooked me on vaping forever... or until the next evolution of extraction comes along-if ever. The only downsides to it is a) it's a bitch to clean...trying to keep the hose clean is a nightmare, and b) it's clearly not portable. While I have taken with me on trips, it's not something I am interested in carrying around to visit friends.

About a year ago I bought a Pax 1, and I never really cared for it. I wanted the portability, but the smell was too intense and I didn't care for the taste. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine who absolutely loves it. I'm glad it went to a good home.

After this experience, I didn't consider getting another portable. I just didn't see anything on the market at the time that grabbed me. Also, the SSV was taking care of business. Since I normally vape in the evening before bed, portability really wasn't critical. Mainly, I want to be able to travel more easily, as well as be able to conveniently vape in the living room while watching movies without having to drag the SSV all over the house.

I recently had a pretty major surgery, and was going to be laid up for awhile without access to my SSV. I decided to get something portable for this period of time. I found a lot of good information about conduction v. convection and decided, based off of my Pax experience (seriously, it's a good vape, just not for me), that I definitely needed a proper convection vape. This was about the time the FF2 was being released, so it seemed the best choice.

I began following this thread after watching the videos/reviews that I found online. I had already preordered, so I was interested in the experiences others were having. Honestly, had I not already preordered mine, I would have probably held off until after this first batch is done and the final production models were in stock. But since it was on the way, I just went with it. I'm glad I did. Overall, it's been a pretty good experience.

I ordered my black one on 5/13, and it shipped to me on the 25th, with me receiving it on 5/26. I also ordered the external charger, not realizing it did't come with the cord. Luckily my Braven BRV-X cord works perfectly. I use this charger exclusively.

I noticed a slight "new" smell when I first used it, but that went away after 2 bowls and I didn't consider it an issue.

The unit wouldn't charge in the cradle. The light never turned solid blue, even after hours and hours. I started to use the external charger, and it's been working perfectly. I would have been pissed if I didn't have the external charger, and would consider this to be an issue. It's nothing that affects me though. I much prefer the usability of the external charger. I can properly charge/maintain my batteries better. I would be tempted to overcharge my batteries if I used the cradle.

I initially had issues with vape production, and felt very disappointed. I then remembered how I felt the same way with the SSV at first until I really dialed in my technique. It's second nature now. So I experimented with grinds and draws, and now the FF2 works perfectly. I bought a 3 piece Santa Cruz, and it does the trick. I have started just keeping it in the grinder, and scooping it into the FF2 with a tiny 1/8 tsp metal spoon straight from there. That and LSD ftw.

I use mine on High. My battery life is only about 2.5 bowls per battery. I find this to be on the low side, but with the external charger and extra battery, this is a non-issue for me.

The flavor is just goddamned incredible. Better than anything I have ever tried. Just amazing.

I do tend to stir more and more as the bowl goes on, but this doesn't bother me.

I always save the duff to re-vape in my SSV. I find that I can get 2 -3 more hits out of it once the FF2 is finished with it. No big deal. I guess that means that the FF2 isn't as efficient as the SSV? I don't know. All I know is that I really like having that little emergency stash!

I'm looking forward for the updated app with the fixed battery meter. And I can't wait to try wax. I have a feeling that I might switch and use my FF2 for wax exclusively. Maybe.

Overall, I am very happy. And I thank everyone here for your posts/opinions/informations, it's been very helpful.

Thanks for the nice review write up. Good to have another solid data point, this one positive.

greenextinguisher

I similarly can get some more out of the ABV through my Volcano. I don't know anything about the SSV, but my best guess is that the Volcano is a very even extraction device and the FF2 is not. You'd have to spend a lot of time stirring and pull a ton of burnt popcorn flavor to make sure every piece of material visited 'the spot' in the FF2 bowl for full extraction.

Like you, it doesn't bother me. I really love the FF2 experience.

I think the unevenness has to do with the 90 degree turn in the airpath. It causes the part of the bowl closest to your face to extract quicker than the other parts. This 90 degree turn serves a purpose, though. I hypothesize that it cools and condenses the vapor for a smoother experience. This contrasts with devices like the GH and Milaana/Zion where the air path goes straight through the material and into your mouth. This causes more even extraction and bigger clouds.

mitchgo61

Welcome to FC. Great first post! Thanks for the detailed review. Glad you found your rhythm with the FF2...yep, it's all about the flavor. IME there isn't any other vape, desktop or port, that reveals true flower flavor like both FFs.

I think the unevenness has to do with the 90 degree turn in the airpath. It causes the part of the bowl closest to your face to extract quicker than the other parts. This 90 degree turn serves a purpose, though. I hypothesize that it cools and condenses the vapor for a smoother experience. This contrasts with devices like the GH and Milaana/Zion where the air path goes straight through the material and into your mouth. This causes more even extraction and bigger clouds.

Most of the cooling occurs in the vapor path as the vapor travels along the glass lid. It's one big wide path, exposing the vapor to a lot of glass and steel between the bowl and the mouthpiece. (And in general uneven cooking is an occupational hazard with true convection, though the 2 has less of this problem than the 1 had thanks to a lot more airflow in the restrictor plate.)

HerbieVonVapster

Welcome to FC. Great first post! Thanks for the detailed review. Glad you found your rhythm with the FF2...yep, it's all about the flavor. IME there isn't any other vape, desktop or port, that reveals true flower flavor like both FFs.

Totally agree it's all about the flavor, have to say of all the vaporizers I use this one wins in the taste department.

Welcome to FC Atanyrhate great first post. Glad to see your enjoying your FF2.

HerbieVonVapster,

MinnBobber

they need to create a cover over the oven, on my 5th-8th draws the herbs are flying around lol
OK, I'm considering a FF2 and want to expand on the oven cover idea.

Any FF2 owners who also own a miniVAP? Could you please experiment to see if a miniVAP wire basket + a miniVAP rimmed screen on top fits the FF2 oven? Does it allow the top to close fully?
Absent that working, would just a miniVAP rimmed screen work/ allow full function?

Thanks
Or an Arizer wire basket as they are a cheaper subsitute. Picture has regular screens, not the sweet rimmed screens where there is no edge to fray/scratch/poke you.
The Flexicone lids would not be used for this job

EQ%20MV%20screens.jpg

Reggie Watts

Got my new lids. These are definitely better than the one that came with my FF2. The magnet seems a little stronger, they make a "pop" sound when they snap into place, and most importantly, they create consistent airflow, and pressing on the bowl end doesn't alter the airflow.

I knew something was off with my original lid, but it was too subtle to really nail it down. Glad I got these new ones. Apparently there is some variation in lid quality, so people could have better or worse ones.

The blue looks great!

Mr. Me2

The flavor is just goddamned incredible. Better than anything

Enjoyed your review. Thanks, and welcome to fc!

Mr. Me2,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom