The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mango

Just called firefly and they said their next shipment should be coming next week on Monday or Tuesday. They dont know how many orders they can cover before they run out again.

Mango,

Santiponce

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but your expectations are calibrated differently based on your life experiences. You must have been lucky with other products in the past. I'm an apple fanboy, have had a stack of their laptops a foot high, 11 iphones, and three desktops in my lifetime and they weren't all rock-solid. iMac screen, first-gen MBP w/Retina, I'm looking at you.

I don't think looking at the warranty is good at sizing up the rock-solidness of a device. MFLB and GH both have lifetimes and I don't know I'd that I'd consider them rock-solid as far as reliability goes. Obviously, everyone has different experiences and luck.

Again, not disagreeing with you. You are obviously making the right choice for yourself.

Hello! I am well aware that my opinion is not universal and at no point do I imply that the Firefly is a bad product per se. I wasn't particularly lucky in the past with my products and i consider reliability just like you, but I also like to consider the follow-up process, after my purchase.

Not just the product itself and if it's gonna fail or not, it is very important for me to know that support is going to take responsibility for issues that may arise such as; chemical/plastic taste, no vapor production general malfunction of features (battery indicator)

It is very important in the sense that I want this process to be smooth and easy on me, I don't want to be stressing over if the customer service is going to BELIEVE me or not. If they are going to TRICK me into believing that it is because of my grinder or because of my draw when they haven't seen either of both.

I must say it's easier to say that it's because of the climate, of the technique or of the quality of the dry herbs, it is certainly easier than taking the unit back, examining it and - if there is a problem - fix or replace it.

Hey, we are not talking about people who have been using their units for 1 year and a half here, who are in the last 6 months of their warranty (and even if they were, so what, right?); It is shocking to me because the issues affect people who JUST BOUGHT the device, most often than not, they just received it and opened the box.

I am sorry but it has nothing to do with my past expectations but telling you that you can not return the product if the box is opened is not standard practice. It is effectively preventing sales (I am an example, and I don't think I'm unique in the universe, if you catch my drift) from potential customers getting scared away, it is harming the company's reputation, I remind you that there is a guy this very afternoon that was threatening to go on social media Twitter/Facebook to talk about his issue because Firefly is not taking responsibility for it. (even though there is an antecedent with the exact same problem solved just a few weeks ago)

Is this what you want to be pushed to when you buy a premium product?

You want to fight with customer service, hoping they believe you, while they put your skills as a human in cause. Oh yes the lid is very hard to close, it's very tricky, it has a clear "technique" to closing it;

P-lea-se: Have you seen the videos on youtube and how they close their lids? They're not even looking, the magnet is doing all the job, it is not a delicate process of carefully aligning one side to the other and going in veeeeery slowly with care, it's like a SNAP instant-click through the magnet, happens in less than a second.

Effectively, if the warranty of the MFLB/Grasshopper is that they will fix/repair your device for FREE and hassle free, for me I consider it to be a *reliable* tool, even if it were to fail, I wouldn't mind that much knowing that the company will not blame me for it and will not deny an issue with the device.

Do I care? No. I don't care either about MFLB nor Grasshopper, not a tiny bit, I don't own neither of these products, I don't work for neither of these companies nor do I KNOW if their warranty is good, I was just giving it as an example.

You see there are positive reviews of the device just above this post, and one page before you see a horror story, so I think that: "You have a good shot of getting a solid device" is accurate.

And "but your expectations are calibrated differently based on your life experiences."

Perhaps Firefly's expectations of what they can charge me for this product are calibrated differently based on their packaging. I'd like to say that I'd take a shot at 250USD or at 150USD but I'm too poor to buy inconsistent quality product, with my limited budget I have to restrict myself to only the best.

Again, this opinion is not universal, it is just the opinion of one person at a given time, I don't care either you buy Firefly 2, 5 of them or another brand, it's all cool for me, as long as you have a pleasant experience.

Mr Mellish

Just called firefly and they said their next shipment should be coming next week on Monday or Tuesday. They dont know how many orders they can cover before they run out again.

Monday is July 4, so my money would be on Tuesday.

Mr Mellish,

greenextinguisher

Hello! I am well aware that my opinion is not universal and at no point do I imply that the Firefly is a bad product per se. I wasn't particularly lucky in the past with my products and i consider reliability just like you, but I also like to consider the follow-up process, after my purchase.

Not just the product itself and if it's gonna fail or not, it is very important for me to know that support is going to take responsibility for issues that may arise such as; chemical/plastic taste, no vapor production general malfunction of features (battery indicator)

It is very important in the sense that I want this process to be smooth and easy on me, I don't want to be stressing over if the customer service is going to BELIEVE me or not. If they are going to TRICK me into believing that it is because of my grinder or because of my draw when they haven't seen either of both.

I must say it's easier to say that it's because of the climate, of the technique or of the quality of the dry herbs, it is certainly easier than taking the unit back, examining it and - if there is a problem - fix or replace it.

Hey, we are not talking about people who have been using their units for 1 year and a half here, who are in the last 6 months of their warranty (and even if they were, so what, right?); It is shocking to me because the issues affect people who JUST BOUGHT the device, most often than not, they just received it and opened the box.

I am sorry but it has nothing to do with my past expectations but telling you that you can not return the product if the box is opened is not standard practice. It is effectively preventing sales (I am an example, and I don't think I'm unique in the universe, if you catch my drift) from potential customers getting scared away, it is harming the company's reputation, I remind you that there is a guy this very afternoon that was threatening to go on social media Twitter/Facebook to talk about his issue because Firefly is not taking responsibility for it. (even though there is an antecedent with the exact same problem solved just a few weeks ago)

Is this what you want to be pushed to when you buy a premium product?

You want to fight with customer service, hoping they believe you, while they put your skills as a human in cause. Oh yes the lid is very hard to close, it's very tricky, it has a clear "technique" to closing it;

P-lea-se: Have you seen the videos on youtube and how they close their lids? They're not even looking, the magnet is doing all the job, it is not a delicate process of carefully aligning one side to the other and going in veeeeery slowly with care, it's like a SNAP instant-click through the magnet, happens in less than a second.

Effectively, if the warranty of the MFLB/Grasshopper is that they will fix/repair your device for FREE and hassle free, for me I consider it to be a *reliable* tool, even if it were to fail, I wouldn't mind that much knowing that the company will not blame me for it and will not deny an issue with the device.

Do I care? No. I don't care either about MFLB nor Grasshopper, not a tiny bit, I don't own neither of these products, I don't work for neither of these companies nor do I KNOW if their warranty is good, I was just giving it as an example.

You see there are positive reviews of the device just above this post, and one page before you see a horror story, so I think that: "You have a good shot of getting a solid device" is accurate.

And "but your expectations are calibrated differently based on your life experiences."

Perhaps Firefly's expectations of what they can charge me for this product are calibrated differently based on their packaging. I'd like to say that I'd take a shot at 250USD or at 150USD but I'm too poor to buy inconsistent quality product, with my limited budget I have to restrict myself to only the best.

Again, this opinion is not universal, it is just the opinion of one person at a given time, I don't care either you buy Firefly 2, 5 of them or another brand, it's all cool for me, as long as you have a pleasant experience.

I agree 100% with your points about how they handled things with a smelly device and busted gasket based on what we know from this thread. (I've had no interaction with FireFly other than automated e-mails they've sent me.)

There is no question in my mind that they should have flat-out replaced the smelly one and been done with it. If the user had the same problem with a follow up, then the FF2 isn't for them: offer a refund.

With the busted gasket, they should have just replaced the lid without question. Stumbling over two lame excuses before doing so is just a waste of time and hurts PR.

From a business perspective, you just have to do these things. If a customer ends up taking advantage or being a PIA, well, that's just the cost of doing business. I don't get why they did what they did in those two cases. I put George from DynaVap up as a shining example of how to conduct a vape manufacturing biz.

Pears

Anyone know when they plan on getting the new external chargers in?

Love this device so much, it'll be complete once I'm able to charge and use simultaneously.

Pears,

spaceshipvan

@mitchgo61 Thanks! I've been an on/off FC lurker for years now (since I purchased my DaBuddha), so I'm glad I could finally contribute. I'm waiting patiently for the external charger to go back on sale so I can grab one.

@steama I haven't tried that, but I've seen the users in this thread post that they use rubber bands. Just means that my charging dock stays slightly out of reach of where I typically use my FF2.

spaceshipvan,

Baron23

Are you implying that one cannot get good clouds with the Firefly 2 and that Firefly had to lie and create a doctored video in order to mislead the masses into buying their product? I assume you're not but what is the implication when someone says: "That vapor in that vaporizer tutorial video doesn't look legitimate"?

Reading comments about Firefly's tutorial video reminds me of when the FF2 first came out. People on reddit and youtube were claiming up and down that all of the vaporizer critics were paid off by Firefly because some random people had no idea how to use their FF2's and allegedly didn't get the same stellar results that the critics did.

I think that in that video Firefly were required to show everyone the most possible vapor using lighting or preheating or whatever is necessary because if they didn't show the most possible vapor people would be upset at seeing a natural video.

Anecdotally the situation sounds like this to me:
People said "Hey Firefly I heard some people don't get clouds with the FF2, prove to me that the FF2 produces clouds"

Firefly said "Ok, here's a video showing you how to get clouds and the proof is in the video."

People said "It looks like you got too much vapor too easily, I don't believe this video is real, show me more proof that the FF2 is good or I won't believe you."

That kind of exchange turns into a never ending cycle that can only be dispelled by giving everyone firsthand experience with the device.
No, that's not what I'm implying or stated at all. As a matter of fact, I believe I have now, for the third time stated that I "didn't want to impugn the guy's character."

And I don't know who you are quoting as having said ""That vapor in that vaporizer tutorial video doesn't look legitimate" but it sure as hell wasn't me.

But since YOU bring up the subject of "I think that in that video Firefly were required to show everyone the most possible vapor using lighting or preheating or whatever is necessary because if they didn't show the most possible vapor people would be upset at seeing a natural video".

Are you serious? I have NOT once said that this video was doctored or a set up. I said exactly what I wanted to say, no more. However, the situation you postulated, where a they would do something like that because "people would be upset at seeing a natural video" is astounding...truly leaves me speechless.

Good night

jay87

No, that's not what I'm implying or stated at all. As a matter of fact, I believe I have now, for the third time stated that I "didn't want to impugn the guy's character."

And I don't know who you are quoting as having said ""That vapor in that vaporizer tutorial video doesn't look legitimate" but it sure as hell wasn't me.

But since YOU bring up the subject of "I think that in that video Firefly were required to show everyone the most possible vapor using lighting or preheating or whatever is necessary because if they didn't show the most possible vapor people would be upset at seeing a natural video".

Are you serious? I have NOT once said that this video was doctored or a set up. I said exactly what I wanted to say, no more. However, the situation you postulated, where a they would do something like that because "people would be upset at seeing a natural video" is astounding...truly leaves me speechless.

Good night

@Baron23 no no I'm only using what you said about the video implying that the vapor he got came naturally from his very first hit, which I personally think DOES look questionable compared to my experience. I think some lighting or camera tricks to let's say "accentuate" the vapor were definitely used, but this is as expected in any vapor video showcase.

The other stuff I heard from other sources like reddit or other forums or youtube comments, no direction towards you whatsoever, didn't mean to make it sound that way and apologize if it did.

I definitely think people would've been upset if Firefly made a tutorial video for how to get vapor and his first hit was lighter, as it should be naturally.

Those people who want to have a negative opinion of the FF2 would respond by saying either going "the vapor was weak" or "the vapor was fake" depending on if Firefly's video had smalls amounts of vapor or large amounts of vapor. We see it ended up being the latter.

huxley

Hello folks,

This is a followup to the ongoing saga of my FF2 that had a chemical taste when tried with no herb, see my previous threads if interested:

First post regarding bad taste/smell
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-95#post-976319

Initial Conversation with FF Customer Support
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-102#post-978402

Second Unexpected Conversation with FF
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-106#post-980037

So true to FF's word, they mailed me a replacement unit.

They did not require me to return mine first, I still had the older unit in my possession. It took perhaps 1 week to 2 weeks for them to get it out to me.

Unfortunately, the replacement unit had pretty much the same chemical taste, such that I would not use it for any type of herbs. Again, I tried it only with an empty bowl, on multiple heat settings. But it was not a clean and odor-free smell/taste to me.

Well, theres always the chance I received 2 bum units. Although at this point, I would ordinarily think that FF2 is just not for me-- that my tolerance for off-tastes (with an empty bowl/ no herbs) is just lower than most peoples and that I would never be satisfied with the FF2.

However, if you read my conversations above, you'll see that FF says that there is a new batch coming that has a new and improved manufacturing process that produces less chemical/off-taste.

They told me it would not be a problem to give it another shot with a 3rd unit and new manufacturering process.

They sent me a prepaid mailer to mail back the original 2 units, so now I am in waiting mode.

Well, I am hoping the 3rd time is the charm.

Will post my updates when I have them.

thecurmudgeon

@Baron23 no no I'm only using what you said about the video implying that the vapor he got came naturally from his very first hit, which I personally think DOES look questionable compared to my experience. I think some lighting or camera tricks to let's say "accentuate" the vapor were definitely used, but this is as expected in any vapor video showcase.

The other stuff I heard from other sources like reddit or other forums or youtube comments, no direction towards you whatsoever, didn't mean to make it sound that way and apologize if it did.

I definitely think people would've been upset if Firefly made a tutorial video for how to get vapor and his first hit was lighter, as it should be naturally.

Those people who want to have a negative opinion of the FF2 would respond by saying either going "the vapor was weak" or "the vapor was fake" depending on if Firefly's video had smalls amounts of vapor or large amounts of vapor. We see it ended up being the latter.

My experience has been that the first hit is the strongest.

Santiponce

Hello folks,

This is a followup to the ongoing saga of my FF2 that had a chemical taste when tried with no herb, see my previous threads if interested:

First post regarding bad taste/smell
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-95#post-976319

Initial Conversation with FF Customer Support
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-102#post-978402

Second Unexpected Conversation with FF
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-106#post-980037

So true to FF's word, they mailed me a replacement unit.

They did not require me to return mine first, I still had the older unit in my possession. It took perhaps 1 week to 2 weeks for them to get it out to me.

Unfortunately, the replacement unit had pretty much the same chemical taste, such that I would not use it for any type of herbs. Again, I tried it only with an empty bowl, on multiple heat settings. But it was not a clean and odor-free smell/taste to me.

Well, theres always the chance I received 2 bum units. Although at this point, I would ordinarily think that FF2 is just not for me-- that my tolerance for off-tastes (with an empty bowl/ no herbs) is just lower than most peoples and that I would never be satisfied with the FF2.

However, if you read my conversations above, you'll see that FF says that there is a new batch coming that has a new and improved manufacturing process that produces less chemical/off-taste.

They told me it would not be a problem to give it another shot with a 3rd unit and new manufacturering process.

They sent me a prepaid mailer to mail back the original 2 units, so now I am in waiting mode.

Well, I am hoping the 3rd time is the charm.

Will post my updates when I have them.

I am really happy that your problem is solved but you have to see that you are an exception, your post got exposure, you got contacted by phone by top management. What about @toecutter who had the exact same issue yesterday and was refused to even return the device?

Damage control is supposed to be a last line of defence, not standard procedure. The guy is so flabbergasted that he was willing to go on social medias, I mean he must be pretty pissed and I understand him.

Is this what it takes to get good customer support? Couldn't it come a bit sooner?

Anyhow, people, I wish you the best, I'll probably be active on the forum but on other sections, as I do not own a Firefly 2 nor do I have the intention of acquiring one plus having already expressed my opinion, I believe it is illegitimate for me to advocate it any longer. Happy vaping and see you on FC :-)

Santiponce,

Reggie Watts

Just want to say, I haven't had any issues with the charge cradle. It actually works fine for me all the time.

I'll be getting my new lids soon (red and blue), so it will be interesting to compare them with my current one. And a case, which I think is mostly unnecessary, except I do want a place to keep the stir stick along with the vape.

jdent3

Does anyone else have little bits of material getting between the steel screen and the borosilicate glass? Little pieces of bud have been getting under mine. I can get some with a qtip but some are in there too deep. When I shine a flashlight on the bowl I can see little pieces under the glass but out of my reach.

jdent3,

Baron23

No problem, mate. Misunderstandings on internet BBS are the norm rather than the exception.

However, wrt to the subject you brought up...no, I don't think that the video shot of the scene where on his first draw he blows clouds like he's smoking a Cuban cigar is realistic. I believe that this was either; 1) a jacked up FF2 unit; 2) not his first draw on that bowl; 3) or was some high volume vapor herb but not cannabis. Maybe a mix of any/all of these.

I hear what you are saying but cannot agree that anticipation of possible negative responses is sufficient to doctor or otherwise fake vapor. I would have no problem whatsoever if he was blowing against a black background with perpendicular lighting in order to highlight the vapor. We have all seen this and we mostly all know how to discount the lighting in order to set realistic expectations. And, its the true vapor production just shown in the best way possible. No problem. But that wasn't the case here. He was front lit with complete fill lighting...but still blew clouds like a steam locomotive in a scene that strongly implies this as the first draw off of a bowl. It was just too slick and too much of a sell job to me. I'm not buying it.

I'm stopping here...while I will not withhold valid criticism, I also don't want to go on and on about stuff...my intent is not to be a constant basher. I do hope that the FF2 and the company evolve into a world class vape and operation.

Cheers

kcmochris

@jdent3 This is a concern I was anticipating. Other vape reviewers have mentioned using compressed air so it's worth a shot--might just be the right tool for the job. If you don't mind, please share your results.

EDIT: See below. @steama just cautioned--wisely--about using compressed air as most if not all do come with a bittering agent in them.

Last edited:
kcmochris,
Reactions: jdent3

greenextinguisher

My experience has been that the first hit is the strongest.

I agree but I think we are in the minority. We must have some serious lung capacity. The only way my experience really differs from the instructional video is that I'm pulling for a lot longer than 10 seconds on my first draw to get there.

Armed with this experience, I sometimes switch up my tech a little bit by doing a short prep draw or cigar puffing before going into my first LSD. Nice clouds.

I cycle through a lot of strains. Some appreciate high heat. I'm recently into Boveda packs + wine fridge set in the 60s F as well. It makes a difference with the flavor and even cloud production through the fly. I was storing in a cupboard and I got the sense that its temperature fluctuated a lot, sometimes getting warm, which is not great for relative humidity.

greenextinguisher,

malsanti

Is this the same batch that we've been waiting two weeks now for? I spoke to them last Friday and they said they would be shipping it out this week.

Hmmm, it's taking very long. They said 1 - 2 weeks to me, when I called before ordering. Now it's looking like it'll be closer to a month.

malsanti,

kcmochris

Just received an email from Firefly titled "Order Status." Here's a shipping update:

"Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your order of Firefly2! We truly appreciate it. We are so sorry we promised your Firefly would be delivered in June but there is a slight delay in our last June shipment. The product is already on its way to our warehouse and we are doing our best to get them out as soon as we can - it looks like your unit will ship sometime next week.

Thank you for your patience. We truly appreciate your support and believe that your Firefly will be worth the wait!

All the best,
The Firefly Team"

:)

kcmochris,
This is very disappointing, I will probably be seeking a refund. Broken shipping promises, and just reading a lot of these comments is leaving a bad taste in my mouth about this company. It feels sketchy and this pretty much seals the deal.

They literally took money out of my bank account with the promise of shipment in June, and went back on their word. They still have my 350 dollars and all I have is an insincere apology addressing me as "valued customer."

This company doesn't know what they're doing, but they hired a marketing consultant this time around so they're still going to make a huge profit on a product that I'm starting to get the impression is massively overpriced and was most likely hurriedly developed.

Last edited:
Littleseedling,
Reactions: smutman

b0

Cloudy...
So, is it normal that I full charge my battery on Tuesday and leave the FF2 in my house and when I arrive today is out of battery?

b0,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
So, is it normal that I full charge my battery on Tuesday and leave the FF2 in my house and when I arrive today is out of battery?

I have experienced this, intermittently. Fully charged battery, use maybe half....leave it in an idol FF for a day or two....and it appears to be drained when I pick up the FF after an idol day. I have no idea what causes this. I've had it happen with four different batteries in two different FF2s. But, it is far from consistent....I've replicated this behavior and had a battery last me five days. So whatever causes this, it doesn't happen every time. (I've also noticed removing the battery prevents this apparent drainage....weird. :hmm:)

I've discussed this with FF and they are aware of it, but as far as I can tell it's not widespread behavior....only one person other than you has mentioned it, that I've seen so far.

My workaround is to keep one battery fully charged and ready to swap in if the current one throws a red. Hopefully FF will figure this one out, if they are ever able to replicate it.

mitchgo61,
I have experienced this, intermittently. Fully charged battery, use maybe half....leave it in an idol FF for a day or two....and it appears to be drained when I pick up the FF after an idol day. I have no idea what causes this. I've had it happen with four different batteries in two different FF2s. But, it is far from consistent....I've replicated this behavior and had a battery last me five days. So whatever causes this, it doesn't happen every time. (I've also noticed removing the battery prevents this apparent drainage....weird. :hmm:)

I've discussed this with FF and they are aware of it, but as far as I can tell it's not widespread behavior....only one person other than you has mentioned it, that I've seen so far.

My workaround is to keep one battery fully charged and ready to swap in if the current one throws a red. Hopefully FF will figure this one out, if they are ever able to replicate it.
Sounds like the Bluetooth they have on the device is constantly running in the background.

Littleseedling,
Reactions: AJS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom