The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

malsanti

One can put the firefly 2 in their pocket right? I think I remember someone saying that it might be fragile?

I can carry it in my bag, but I would certainly like the option of putting it in my pocket.

malsanti,

jdent3

One can put the firefly 2 in their pocket right? I think I remember someone saying that it might be fragile?

I can carry it in my bag, but I would certainly like the option of putting it in my pocket.

Yes but I wouldn't put anything else in your pocker with it that could scratch it.

jdent3,

Baron23

I knew something was off with my original lid, but it was too subtle to really nail it down.

No, no, no...how many times do you need to be told it was all in your mind and if you just dang well learned to vape the FF2 way, all would be alright. sigh

I very glad new lid has fixed your whistling and having to press down on the lid issues and your FF2 is working as intended now.

Did you ever get an RMA on your original lid?

Reggie Watts

No, no, no...how many times do you need to be told it was all in your mind and if you just dang well learned to vape the FF2 way, all would be alright. sigh

I very glad new lid has fixed your whistling and having to press down on the lid issues and your FF2 is working as intended now.

Did you ever get an RMA on your original lid?
Nah, email support wasn't convinced there was an issue. Without being able to compare, I couldn't be sure either. So I did the 2-for-1 lid deal, giving me a sample of 3 to compare.

The tighter seal on my new lids results in more consistent cloud production and more even extraction. I used to get weird extraction patterns with bits of green always present. Now I just stir a few times, and the entire bowl is dark brown. Clearly, the lid quality makes all the difference in performance.

Baron23

Nah, email support wasn't convinced there was an issue. Without being able to compare, I couldn't be sure either. So I did the 2-for-1 lid deal, giving me a sample of 3 to compare.

The tighter seal on my new lids results in more consistent cloud production and more even extraction. I used to get weird extraction patterns with bits of green always present. Now I just stir a few times, and the entire bowl is dark brown. Clearly, the lid quality makes all the difference in performance.

Great news, Reggie...glad its finally straightened out for you. You considering RMA'ing the original lid now that you have a basis for comparison?

Baron23,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Pears

I actually had the same thing happen, my original lid worked great for a few weeks then seemed to act weird and have varying restriction, the new lids made it perform just as good as when I got it. Seems like there is some variance in the lids that affect airflow :hmm:

jay87

I think it's certainly possible there were some defective lids, remember there was a lid that had the entire seal come off, so a much more minor version of that could happen as well.

For the record though I got a black lid that came with my FF2 originally and 2 more new lids and they all work exactly the same for me, that is to say wonderfully.

jay87,

greenextinguisher

Great to hear Reggie! I haven't tried either of my new lids yet. More variables! My OG black lid has been a solid performer, though.

definitely. I do all the time. Its never comes loose at all. The magnet has a good grip.

The other day I had it on an armrest, fully loaded, and smacked it off onto the floor. It didn't even spill. I picked it up and finished the bowl. :D

edit:

Most of the cooling occurs in the vapor path as the vapor travels along the glass lid. It's one big wide path, exposing the vapor to a lot of glass and steel between the bowl and the mouthpiece. (And in general uneven cooking is an occupational hazard with true convection, though the 2 has less of this problem than the 1 had thanks to a lot more airflow in the restrictor plate.)

That makes sense, and I think the 90 degree has a big impact on both of those things. The most direct path for the vapor goes through the part of the bowl closest to the mouthpiece causing excessive unevenness. The 90 degree turn pushes the vapor right into the lid which spreads it out and means more vapor hits more glass and improves the cooling.

I wonder how much they tweaked the holes in R&D. If they laid them out as more of a gradient with more holes towards the front and fewer towards the back, they may have had less unevenness. Separately, you can look at various popcorn air popper designs. Some have holes on the bottom like the FF2. Others have slots on the side of the "bowl" which spins through the kernels causing a tornado effect. Both types of popcorn poppers are effective at popping popcorn because as it pops it is expelled through the top and unpopped kernels can fall to the bottom. However, only one design is ideal for roasting coffee evenly and that is the kind with the slots on the side. If you try to roast coffee in the other kind, you end up over roasting some parts and under roasting others unless you shake the shit out of it as you roast.

Last edited:

stinkytofus

Where is this teo for one deal

Its definitely a good vape, i use less than my haze v3, and hit almost just as much, the savings pile up long term

Last edited by a moderator:
stinkytofus,

greenextinguisher

I believe it has since ended. Was originally on the FF site.

yeah, I think it ended on the 1st. I just checked and they are no longer discounting when you add two to the cart.

edit: btw, odor report. yesterday I was using the FF2 in mixed company on and off. My wife asked if I was going to use it to which I replied "I have been!" The odor is so low that she couldn't notice 30 seconds after coming into a space I was just using it. White Widow.

Last edited:

Pears

yeah, I think it ended on the 1st. I just checked and they are no longer discounting when you add two to the cart.

edit: btw, odor report. yesterday I was using the FF2 in mixed company on and off. My wife asked if I was going to use it to which I replied "I have been!" The odor is so low that she couldn't notice 30 seconds after coming into a space I was just using it. White Widow.
Do you open it up to stir? I've found that to be the only time the device creates a smell when combined with a SmokeBuddy.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Do you open it up to stir? I've found that to be the only time the device creates a smell when combined with a SmokeBuddy.

Yeah I defy anyone with a working sense of smell not to notice the FF anywhere within 30 feet if you open the lid after a few hits. It goes from "no smell at all" to "what are you doing in there???" :lol:

mitchgo61,
Reactions: kcmochris

MinnBobber

Curious what the upside of this mod idea is? :)
Regarding miniVAP wire baskets and rimmed screens potential use in FF2:

- they allow one to pack ahead, bring preloaded baskets when out and about.
- with this basket, you can remove spent load and insert new fresh load in 3 seconds so very discreet
- screen on top prevents most of the herb dust from being sucked upstream into the FF vapor path/ mouthpiece
- basket allows FF2 ABV load to be easily finished off later at 445 F in miniVAP or Herbie
- basket allows you to easily save FF2 ABV as is, for edibles---put flexicone cover on and save
- baskets keep herb from contacting chamber walls so chamber stays spotless

That's IF the mV baskets/screens happen to be the proper size and fit ok ????

malsanti

Didn't that email say our FF2s were going to ship on this Tues and Weds? Anybody get an email saying it has shipped?

malsanti,

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Regarding miniVAP wire baskets and rimmed screens potential use in FF2:

- they allow one to pack ahead, bring preloaded baskets when out and about.
- with this basket, you can remove spent load and insert new fresh load in 3 seconds so very discreet
- screen on top prevents most of the herb dust from being sucked upstream into the FF vapor path/ mouthpiece
- basket allows FF2 ABV load to be easily finished off later at 445 F in miniVAP or Herbie
- basket allows you to easily save FF2 ABV as is, for edibles---put flexicone cover on and save
- baskets keep herb from contacting chamber walls so chamber stays spotless

That's IF the mV baskets/screens happen to be the proper size and fit ok ????
I'll check tonight for you. I have MV baskets and Arizer baskets here.

Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: MinnBobber

kcmochris

Same here, still no communication. If not mailed out by tomorrow I'll be seeking a refund.

Correct me if I'm wrong--the only email I've gotten and remember seeing publicly was on Jun 30th, stating:

"Thank you for your order of Firefly2! We truly appreciate it. We are so sorry we promised your Firefly would be delivered in June but there is a slight delay in our last June shipment. The product is already on its way to our warehouse and we are doing our best to get them out as soon as we can - it looks like your unit will ship sometime next week.
"

After reading through this entire forum, if there's one thing I've noticed--patience is a virtue. Whether it's mastering your draw on the FF2 or waiting for them to receive the stock, almost everyone one here posting had to wait just like us. It's still in pre-order phase. The bright side is:
-new lids = stronger magnets + better gaskets :tup:
-first, basic bugs addressed with the app
-will most likely "fall in love with the unit"

I'm willing to wait for a $330 vape that's just blossomed out of its early stage of production and is probably gearing up for mass production. What's got me most excited is its efficiency and the fact that time and again, it's users are saying they get medicated extremely well off this thing.

I can totally understand the anxiety and desire for a refund. Again, best results and answers have usually been achieved when calling them directly. I have faith and trust that they'll stick to what they've been telling us. 2nd or third week of July (which means this or next week). I'm guessing most likely by the end of this week. That's what I've been told since checking in early last week. Hope this comforts :)

Last edited:
kcmochris,

greenextinguisher

Yeah I defy anyone with a working sense of smell not to notice the FF anywhere within 30 feet if you open the lid after a few hits. It goes from "no smell at all" to "what are you doing in there???" :lol:

hmmm... can't say my experience matches yours. Even though I'm a super smeller/taster, its tough to judge when you are the one using the FF2. Due to a temporary medical condition, my wife is also currently experiencing super smelling powers. :D I don't recall specifically whether I stirred within a few minutes of this occurring, but I am definitely a stirrer.

I get a whiff of cooked herb when I open it, but it doesn't strike me as a room-filling, lingering odor. I think a couple of us FF2 users have to get together to resolve once and for all the question of: does it smell?

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
hmmm... can't say my experience matches yours. Even though I'm a super smeller/taster, its tough to judge when you are the one using the FF2. Due to a temporary medical condition, my wife is also currently experiencing super smelling powers. :D I don't recall specifically whether I stirred within a few minutes of this occurring, but I am definitely a stirrer.

I get a whiff of cooked herb when I open it, but it doesn't strike me as a room-filling, lingering odor. I think a couple of us FF2 users have to get together to resolve once and for all the question of: does it smell?

Interesting. I am also both a super smeller and taster, much to my chagrin. My wife can tell if I open the FF from an adjacent room.

When you open the lid, the entire vapor path is exposed. Unlike any other vape I can think of, the FF exposes every bit of the path, which is great for cleaning...but it allows every molecule of odor to escape instantaneously. To me, both the FF1 and 2 are binary in this regard: lid on, no smell at all. Lid off, lots of odor. I personally would not open the lid (if the FF has been hit recently) in any stealth situation. :2c:

Mango

Going to ring them up tommorow to see whats going on with shipping. This is stretching close to a month of waiting for some people...

vape4fun

Not saying this as a huge jerk or anything but it's in preorder stage. We ordered March 1st and it shipped out end of April so just be patient my friend. Canceling the order doesn't hurt them it will hurt you. Wait another week or two and it will be there and you'll be happy.

Order a grasshopper and wait a month two six ten etc, or go to the store and buy a crafty or Pax.

greenextinguisher

Interesting. I am also both a super smeller and taster, much to my chagrin. My wife can tell if I open the FF from an adjacent room.

When you open the lid, the entire vapor path is exposed. Unlike any other vape I can think of, the FF exposes every bit of the path, which is great for cleaning...but it allows every molecule of odor to escape instantaneously. To me, both the FF1 and 2 are binary in this regard: lid on, no smell at all. Lid off, lots of odor. I personally would not open the lid (if the FF has been hit recently) in any stealth situation. :2c:

I paid close attention to sessions last night. If you have a pretty fresh bowl, do a few hits and immediately open to stir while still very hot, you are right, it is a very strong odor. If you let it cool a bit, its much less smelly. I don't know about distance traveled and how much it lingers.

Tried a new red lid (edit: typo) last night. Performs very similarly, but I noticed the whistle happens with lower intensity draws, so I don't know if its a good universal measurement for drawing too fast or slow. It seems to vary unit-to-unit and you should calibrate as such. It did feel like it clamped a little harder than my stock black lid, but no noticeable difference in cloud production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom