The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf2010

Just having it one day this is my favorite convection portable.

At first I was skeptical after reading through worrisome posts. But I scanned the tips and tricks from you all and everything works fine so far. I have to spend more time for more of an in depth review since I only just received it.

Mine will b shipping soon I'm just a little paranoid due to all the strange reviews

murf2010,

peterloveslubey

Mine will b shipping soon I'm just a little paranoid due to all the strange reviews

Honestly I get the feeling people have strange reviews simply on wrong expectations / never having vaped before. If you're looking for a high tech, efficient, tasty vapor it's your device. It seems most of the people who have used vapes before love it and the people who have spent more than a week with it love it. The other 'negative' reviews seem to be outliers, imo. I think using something like this trying to get to the same level as ripping 2-3 bowls out of a 2 foot ROOR just isn't possible. Putting this in your golf bag and playing 9 holes, however, is a perfect experience.

Last edited:

murf2010

Honestly I get the feeling people have strange reviews simply on wrong expectations / never having vaped before. If you're looking for a high tech device, efficient, tasty vapor it's your device. It seems most of the people who have used vapes before love it and the people who have spent more than a week with it love it. The other 'negative' reviews seem to be outliers, imo. I think using something like this trying to get to the same level as ripping 2-3 bowls out of a 2 foot ROOR just isn't possible. Putting this in your golf bag and playing 9 holes, however, is a perfect experience.

Well said! I appreciate that review. Does it really effectively medicate you? Like do you get the body stone pain relief anxiety relief etc that you can from a mighty?

murf2010,

Dudeman

Hunter green would be great,how about a white Mother of Pearl or an exotic wood finish?
Those would be fantastic for sure! I really appreciate the thought process in the design. Having the ability to change the look of your device without purchasing a whole new unit is an incredibly well thought-out design choice.

Dudeman,
Reactions: Vapenado

jay87

This thing is so great. Seriously it's so good. The taste, the effect, the efficiency, and ease of cleaning are second to none in my opinion. For concentrates the FF2 is all I feel like using now.

I've found that you only need to draw as fast as it allows you to, drawing faster and causing resistance only leads to worse performance. That said the natural draw on this thing isn't bad at all, much better than any pen's I've used and better than the pax as well.

I have to recommend to anyone to take at least 2 draws as warmup draws to heat the chamber to vaporization temperatures before the real fun begins.

Once the chamber has been heated from my 3rd draw onward I always get huge clouds on every draw until it's cashed out and I need to reload.

I got good results my first time using the FF2, but every time I use it I get better and better results. If I want to rip it i can get some real heavy hits and it doesn't matter how much material I put in.

For me the learning curve has only been positive. :tup:

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
So I was watching VapeCritics video on how to use the ff2 properly and he brought up the subject of using an air duster to unclog any clogged ff2 holes (the holes in the bottom of the bowl). I noticed that my ff2 has about 10 clogged holes because my friend accidentally added too much oil for one bowl. These are the steps I used to try to unclog those oily ff2 holes.
1. Cleaned ff2 bowl very well with a generous amt of iso (do this holding the ff2 upside down so no liquid ends up in the holes).
2. Line up air duster tube with ff2 holes as close as possible (no, the tube did not fit perfectly into the ff2 holes) and let out a couple bursts of the air duster.
3. Examine ff2 holes and become depressed when all 10ish holes are still clogged.
Am I doing something wrong, any tips on how to keep my ff2 in pristine condition?
I had the exact same issue with oil! I turned it upside down, put it on concentrate setting and took a few hits on an empty bowl, it cleared everything up. Good luck!

Stoney Baloney,

Sh4dy15

I am more impressed with this thing as time goes by. Loaded it up with some Girl Scout Cookies last night, packed it pretty full. Got 3 huge clouds on MEDIUM then bumped it and stirred and got 4 more huge hits on Medium High stirred again, bumped to High and got another 4 nice size clouds plus was HAF.

Getting better over time.

HvOg

If you read my post a couple pages back you'll see that I mentioned the app and device will both read the same level, always....the app reads the device's battery meter and just reflects that. What you are seeing is behavior I also noted in that post....the meters can read erroneously full if the battery only gets a partial charge. Which is what is happening to your battery on the dock.

So, what's causing your cradle issues?

1. Weird battery, maybe. You replicate this with both batteries or just one?
2. Weird positioning with the cradle, though you seem to have controlled for that.
3. Bad USB transformer block. Happens more often than you think. Try a different one. If you have an ipad block, use that. Charges 2x faster than an iPhone block due to higher transformer power.
4. The FF itself....very unlikely. These battery issues seem to occur independitly from the device functionality itself.

Try both batts with a different USB block and let us know what happens.

EDIT: Reading this again makes me think you have a bad USB block....I experienced the same thing myself. Try a different one.

Don't forget you also need the FF1 AC adaptor in order to use the external charger.

Hey man - thanks for following up again. Very cool of you.

So, yes the issue happens with both batterys. Swapped out with my wife's iPhone block and the issue still occurs. One interesting thing I just found out: once the device stops flashing blue (about 45 minutes) if I unplug the block, then plug it back in, it starts charging again. However, I have to do this 3 times (for a total of about 2 hours and change) for the device to go solid blue indicating full charge. Weird is all can say.

Yup, I've got the FF1, so I'll be using the AC adapter once the external charging unit comes. Thanks for the heads up though, that would have been pretty disappointing if I didnt have it!

I'm still thinking you're right and it's the usb block (even after swapping) those things are pieces of cheap crap and it's kind of a shame that firefly doesn't have a dedicated wall adapter for such a high end unit.

I'll check back in once the external charger shows up. But I have both batteries at full charge now, I hope that deals with some of the issues I've been having with performance. I'm loving this thing one night then being disappointed the next. But the FF1 was the same, and once I figured out how to rock it I loved it. I just really thought they were making this one a bit more "fool proof".

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I am more impressed with this thing as time goes by. Loaded it up with some Girl Scout Cookies last night, packed it pretty full. Got 3 huge clouds on MEDIUM then bumped it and stirred and got 4 more huge hits on Medium High stirred again, bumped to High and got another 4 nice size clouds plus was HAF. .

GSC. :love: Got some on deck myself...gotta go through some of The Big first. (My weed soul-mate. :lol:)

I'll check back in once the external charger shows up. But I have both batteries at full charge now, I hope that deals with some of the issues I've been having with performance. I'm loving this thing one night then being disappointed the next. But the FF1 was the same, and once I figured out how to rock it I loved it. I just really thought they were making this one a bit more "fool proof".

FWIW I've run across a couple battery/charging quirks myself, and they are pretty easy to deal with IME. Here's my FF2 protocol:

1. Keep both batts charged fully. When one's in use, the other is in the external charger (which, seriously, charges those babies in like 30 minutes tops....seems like I pop one in and the next time I glance at it the blue light is solid).
2. Don't start a session with a partially-used battery that's been sitting in the FF. I seem to have the "partially charged" indicator thing happening at this point, so if on say Sunday I've used like 1/3 of the battery, I'll still put in the freshly-charged one on Monday to start.

It's a huge plus that the FF comes with two batteries, but yeah, you need an external charger to really get the most out of this configuration. If you already own an FF1 and have the AC adaptor, the charger is a no-brainer purchase if you don't have it. Saves tons of time and obviates whatever this cradle/USB block issue is. :2c:

Last edited:

HvOg

Question for you guys RE: performance. Are you holding the activation buttons once you start to inhale? Or do you heat up, start inhaling, and let go of the buttons? I've been doing what worked best on the ff1, which was letting it heat up, inhaling long and slow, and then intermittently letting go of the heating buttons while I puff...but it's not giving the same results. Any advice would be awesome.

PS @mitchgo61 love that avatar. Coheed and Floyd?!

HvOg,

mitchgo61

Question for you guys RE: performance. Are you holding the activation buttons once you start to inhale? Or do you heat up, start inhaling, and let go of the buttons? I've been doing what worked best on the ff1, which was letting it heat up, inhaling long and slow, and then intermittently letting go of the heating buttons while I puff...but it's not giving the same results. Any advice would be awesome.

Hold on to the buttons while you draw. The thing has a programmed heat cycle, so unless you're ready to stop getting vapor you should let it do its job and give you the full heating arc. It's hottest early in the 30-second cycle so the only advantage of letting go is you can re-start the cycle and raise the heat a little. But otherwise, hold on for the whole ride. (If you wanna "carb out" any remaining vapor you can let go like 2 seconds before you stop inhaling.)

Sh4dy15

GSC. :love: Got some on deck myself...gotta go through some of The Big first. (My weed soul-mate. :lol:)

Never had it but have heard good things. In NYC there's some great stuff available but it's tough to know what you're actually getting. I've only had medicinal quality so I am super lucky with that but not always sure what I have. I know so far I've had GSC, Sour Diesel, and Lemon Haze. Those are the only ones I'm sure of haha

BabaRobDass

Hopefully we will see some more color options in the future. These colors are really nice, but a few more wouldn't hurt. I could go for a nice dark Forest or Hunter green, something similar to this with a gold ff symbol.

It's called BRG, "British racing green", very similar or identical to hunter/forest green, and I have been dreaming of them making that color since the OG firefly came out! Google that color, its fascinating.:sherlock:

BabaRobDass,

Imanebiie

Ok, here's my story, 40's family man with teen kids, total closet smoker, really have toilet in closet on master bath with fan. Previously had to preheat with old vape, I was yelling "I'll be down in a minute" when I wanted to get a toke. Half the time could never get a real good hit.
Now with FF2 I am in heaven, this vape has changed my vape LIFE! I can now get a hit in 20 seconds that would of took at least 2-3 minutes just for 1 hit then I would of been forced to suck down the entire bowl.
Now I can leasurly go upstairs grab my beautiful blue firefly2 and get the BEST tasting vapor ever!
I was a little worried about some feedback. So I got my ff2 and rapidly charged both batteries and packed a nice bowl with my old medium ground from previous vape. Held both sensors flashed green then solid green, ready! I slowly drawled from my vape for at least 15-20 seconds, Oh so cool, did I get anything I thought, then it happened I exhaled a HUGE CLOUD!!! Like nothing I have EVER vaped! It was cool, flavorful! And I could taste every terpene! So draw 2 repeat. for 3 and 4 Stirred and even 5 then 6! No smell, nothing detectable that the kids would suspect just Big Clouds too!

So if your like me and just wanted to toke solo you will not be disappointed, this is vape what almost every review says it is a Game Changer! FireFly has hit it out of the Park!! Thank You for this Vape!,

Dudeman

It's called BRG, "British racing green", very similar or identical to hunter/forest green, and I have been dreaming of them making that color since the OG firefly came out! Google that color, its fascinating.:sherlock:
Yes! Now that would make a gorgeous FF2 right there. I was also thinking a dark plum color would be a nice option as well.
Don't know if our friends over at FF visit FC, but perhaps we'll get lucky and they agree with us. :)

Ratklaw

Don't start a session with a partially-used battery that's been sitting in the FF. I seem to have the "partially charged" indicator thing happening at this point, so if on say Sunday I've used like 1/3 of the battery, I'll still put in the freshly-charged one on Monday to start.

I thought it was better for the battery to run them down 100% before charging. Is this done for convenience over getting max battery life? Or is it fine for the battery to recharge after partial use?

Ratklaw,
I thought it was better for the battery to run them down 100% before charging. Is this done for convenience over getting max battery life? Or is it fine for the battery to recharge after partial use?

This is a lithium-ion battery and it is possible that the technology has changed (improved) as batteries are in constant development (they need more power for bigger and bigger applications) still I would think that the battery university is still up to date.

You can look at
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Table 2: Cycle life as a function of
depth of discharge.

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
Reactions: Ratklaw

PeteSeattle

Please scroll on if you don't want to read this entire user experience. Bottom line, get one if you're on the fence. Please continue reading if you care.

Appologies for a long first impression. I fricken love this vape.

When the first Firefly came about I was impressed with the convection vape but not the physical design. I tried several portable several vapes though mostly conduction. Some I still love but the Firefly 2 is winning so far. My first and favorite convection vape was and still is my Evo but not at all concealable/portable. When the newest Firefly was announced it caught my attention.

I'm grateful for all reports of success and some still figuring it out. With the few weeks of waiting I watched all videos online about the new model and from your experiences I was able to use this vape correctly and had terrific results out of the box.

(Out of 5 star rating)
Taste: Superior to portable baking vapes I have tried or owned. Holds flavor longer compared to others.
5 stars because of not tasting baked flower.

Performance: I have the ESV which have similar functions but FF wins out there's not many parts to maintain. The ESV is a fantastic convection vape yet fussy and has a larger learning curve then the FF 2.
4 stars because of the slight learning curve.

Vapor quality/density: From the thread I thought I wouldn't get any visible vapor but was pleasantly surprised after finding the sweet spot. Now I get clouds every time even on medium low but the quality of the vape And the taste lasts longer.

The density doesn't come close to a desktop (talking the Evo here) but deserves to be one of the better performers for now. Yes, not dense clouds at first but when one figures out their technique it's quite impressive.
4 stars for visible vapor from the start.

Throat hit: Barely any. I get a faint tickle on high and not the harsh hot vapor.
5 stars because I don't have a dry scratchy throat after use especially after waking up.

Medicinal delivery: I hit my Evo twice daily. It maxed out my tolerance to the effect that I really didn't feel anything (euphoric) but calm. I was concerned that my judgement would be unfair because I didn't take a tolerance break. I was wrecked after my first bowl ... on flower!
5 stars because I've been taking dabs/using errl to feel anything recently and yet the FF2 still affected me. I caught myself just staring at the app screen forgetting what I was going to adjust.

Maintenance: Brush, brush, wipe, wipe, iso ... easy. No major disassembling. A 5.

Looks: A great improvement. Very appealing. I chose blue which is stunning. Nice lines and curves.
5 stars because the first one didn't agree with me but this version is much better.

Build quality: While it looks terrific and has a significant weight change it does feel like a toy. The battery lid could be improved so it doesn't seat wonky some of the time. Not much to off gas but some newer users taste may be sensitive to the medical grade silicon gasket (Tastes the same as the silicon whip from my Evo to my glass when I first break in a new one). The mouth piece is functional with maintenance.
3 stars because I feel as if I can accidentally bend the back cover.

Size/portability: Very easy to pocket or throw in a bag and just about as heavy as an iPhone 6 maybe 6s and just a bit longer than the pax2. As thick as a Snikers candy bar and as big as the new AppleTV remote. I give it 4.

Odor: Difficult to detect from unit but evident on breath. A 4.

** Edit: OMG! How can I leave out concentrates? I'm done with coiled wax pen, double quartz, etc. No more coil cleaning!

My wish for the next iteration: not smartphone dependent if you don't have access to one, for the price point why not include an external battery charger in addition to the docking cradle, maybe haptic feed back since on a bright day it is challenging to see the LED and the glow, an easy and intuitive way to charge while traveling, there are maybe other areas that can be improved (most of you have already mentioned) but for now it's just terrific IMO.

I was hesitant at first but now I am not disappointed with my purchase. This Firefly broke my tolerance which blew me away ... for a portable. I know I didn't touch on everything about this vape but I feel confident that other members have helped those on the fence.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps those still deciding.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I've heard the thing you wanna avoid is leaving it charging for a long period of time after it's fully charged. I haven't seen any definitive data on charging a partially-charged battery.

Regardless, I'm not really worried about battery life, given I'm charging each battery only once every three or four days. The reason I'm re-charging before each day's session is to avoid the battery indicator bug that is making the battery appear full when it isn't. I'd rather not be four hits into a bowl and have the battery die unexpectedly on me...it's easier to just start with a fully-charged battery for any given session.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: Ratklaw

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
In the UK and preordered with namaste vapes. Asked for and update on shipping today, was told October! Last time it was early June.

The guy at namaste did not know why FF changed there schedule for international shipping; but speculated it was due to warranty issues.

oddjobold,

hi_there

The guy at namaste did not know why FF changed there schedule for international shipping; but speculated it was due to warranty issues.

Odd, I ordered direct from the company from Canada on Thurs. and got a call two days later from fedex saying it was on the way from Las Vegas

hi_there,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom