The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Lahey

had a buddy stop by today and he had some concentrates in his truck by chance. holy hell the flavour was soooo good. Wanted to just keep going just because it was so much fun and flavourful but it was kicking our butts lol!

Randy Lahey

hey guys, how long does a concentrate pad last for?
Where do you get your new ones from? do you go to FF or is it easy to get these cheaper/offbrand? Thanks

Randy Lahey,

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
f26EXWa.jpg
SAJXwbj.jpg
HXSM0TJ.jpg
This is my experience so far.
I've been using my FF2 the last couple days. It works good... I just have to make sure all my ducks are in a row before drawing. I have to take my finger on and off the touch sensor, to keep it glowing for a good hit. If I draw for too long, it can mildly scorch a small section. I gotta triple check the rubber gasket for any obstructions in the seal, it makes a huge difference if there is a small bit of herb on it. Little fuzzys stick to the lid too. Every once in a while I have everything perfect and get a great hit. If I do get one good hit, and don't stir it after the one hit, it starts to taste a little toasty. It definitely has a learning curve, that I am slowly learning. My hands have been so damn dry lately though, I can barely get the touch sensors to register!

I have an 18650 battery that is within spec but does not fit in my device without really pushing hard. Included battery shorter and works no problem. I would like to give this battery to a frequent poster especially if they have bought a battery not from davinci and it works.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

herbivore21

So would folks recommend one of these for portable concentrate only use? Obviously most of the drawbacks ie: stirring etc folks suggest above should not be relevant here?

herbivore21,

Randy Lahey

it works awesome for concentrates. I find they are much easier to use with this unit because you dont have to worry about it compromising the seal when you put it all together. Sometimes with herb the crumbs can stop it from sealing 100% and it affects the pull

jay87

So would folks recommend one of these for portable concentrate only use? Obviously most of the drawbacks ie: stirring etc folks suggest above should not be relevant here?

Imo the FF2 performs best with concentrates. For me it is my favorite device for concentrates and I use it for that exclusively.

No stirring, huge clouds, great flavor, and the best part is that it's a dream to clean and the purest, easiest to collect reclaim you've ever seen.

I'd definitely recommend it for portable concentrate usage, As far as I know it's the only portable convection concentrate device that exists right now :science:

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
If anyone knows, could you message me a US based vendor with the zipper case for the FF2? The only two I found online with it in stock don't have the best reputation.
Edited to add..
Well my oven load just combusted on the med-high setting, with 108% boost. I don't know if it could have anything to do with it, but my phone died a few seconds before I heated the vape up, while it was paired to the FF.. I don't know if that could cause the temp to go wacky or something..
I just finished cleaning the crap out of it, (super stinky) lowered the boost to 105%, and the temp to medium.. it seems to be working okay like this. I'm going to leave it at this setting the rest of the night and keep a close eye on it. Tomorrow after work I'll put it back to the original setting I had it on, and see if it was just a freak accident, or if it will combust again.
Edit again to say..
After taking some advice, and loading a really small load, enough to just shake the FF and mix it, I have been getting GREAT hits with extra small loads.

Last edited:
Splorgle,
After a struggle with CS they confirm the following:

Thank you for your response. Yes, that is the same interpretation that I got from listening to that interview.

Warmly,
Firefly Support

My previous email:

Hello support:
Thank you for the explanation of this.

If i understand you.

1. Using app set the power tuning at 98% for the lowest setting (340°). It takes 12 seconds to come to temp.

2. Using app set the power tuning to 102% for the lowest setting (340°). Now it will take 5 seconds to get to temperature.

Are these correct statements? (Response above)

MonsterWithoutBorders,
Reactions: mitchgo61

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Man ....I am so so jealous.

f26EXWa.jpg
SAJXwbj.jpg
HXSM0TJ.jpg
This is my experience so far.
I've been using my FF2 the last couple days. It works good... I just have to make sure all my ducks are in a row before drawing. I have to take my finger on and off the touch sensor, to keep it glowing for a good hit. If I draw for too long, it can mildly scorch a small section. I gotta triple check the rubber gasket for any obstructions in the seal, it makes a huge difference if there is a small bit of herb on it. Little fuzzys stick to the lid too. Every once in a while I have everything perfect and get a great hit. If I do get one good hit, and don't stir it after the one hit, it starts to taste a little toasty. It definitely has a learning curve, that I am slowly learning. My hands have been so damn dry lately though, I can barely get the touch sensors to register!

NYC_Frank,

h0p3r

Hey,

My brick and mortar vape shop carries the FireFly 2 and before I jump the gun, I'd like to know this. Back in Fall, I was interested in the FireFly 2 and was dismayed to find out that there were some issues with them. TheVapeCritic had to remove the FireFly 2 from his recommended list. Now I see that it's back on that list, and read through a good amount of excellent reviews (apart from the learning curve the FF2 has).

Did anything change in the production units? Knowing the price of one of those bad boys, my brick and mortar shop probably had the FF2 for a long time now. If changes were made, where could I find the newer models in Canada? Any indicator that they are the newer ones? For my Crafty, for example, I had to go to several shops and check the serial number to know which ones had the newer o-rings and cooling unit.

Thanks in advance FC!

h0p3r,

herbivore21

Imo the FF2 performs best with concentrates. For me it is my favorite device for concentrates and I use it for that exclusively.

No stirring, huge clouds, great flavor, and the best part is that it's a dream to clean and the purest, easiest to collect reclaim you've ever seen.

I'd definitely recommend it for portable concentrate usage, As far as I know it's the only portable convection concentrate device that exists right now :science:
Thanks for that feedback brother. Tell me, does the learning curve people talk about here apply to concentrate use? I really need something that will keep giving me big and tasty (NOT ONE OR THE OTHER!) rips until the bowl is finished and that will play nice with 4 star hash too. :)

Is it excessive with reclaim or does it fully vape the concentrate loads?

To be very clear to all who might be able to help, I have no desire to use this vape with flower, only concentrates.

herbivore21,

toked23

Anyone know anyplace that sells FF2 lids .... thanks

Firefly sells them, of course, ha.

@herbivore21
I'm a 99% flower guy and have had this since it came out. I have never had any issue ever with getting meds with this vape. The few times I've had concentrated went just as smoothly as flower, maybe even a tad easier. If you read through this thread everyone that has used it with concentrates has been blown away. I personally love it, and am a huge fan and have been. Now I am a particular person as I think you are as well. I clean it after every load, and am consistent with my grind and always careful to make sure the lid is seated properly(which I have never had an issue with that either). I clean the mouthpiece and have never messed with the screen other than to rub a little ISO on it to clean it. I love it for the efficientcy, lack of smell(vital for me) and I have never even once not achieved a med level I was looking for. Now I'm also a lite user and do pull 2 full 30 second pulls and set it down and come back later. That's a good 1-2hrs of perfection for me and always had been. I rotate strains every new load. The only thing I've noticed differently is with concentrates it just is a stronger med level, nothing else although I have never come across any concentrate anywhere close to the stuff I've seen you create, which look unbelievable...

Randy Lahey

Guys how long do you use the same concentrate pad for? Where do you get replacements? Is there an aftermarket source that is cheaper than FF ? Thanks
c45sv3n.jpg

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
Guys how long do you use the same concentrate pad for? Where do you get replacements? Is there an aftermarket source that is cheaper than FF ? Thanks
c45sv3n.jpg

I'm still using my first concentrate pad, not sure how long I have had the firefly 2 now. I might open the second one once February ends and use the old one in my junior. I haven't seen any 3rd party ones, but I did buy spares when I purchased my firefly from the beginning.

Lookatmeglow,

jay87

Thanks for that feedback brother. Tell me, does the learning curve people talk about here apply to concentrate use? I really need something that will keep giving me big and tasty (NOT ONE OR THE OTHER!) rips until the bowl is finished and that will play nice with 4 star hash too. :)

Is it excessive with reclaim or does it fully vape the concentrate loads?

To be very clear to all who might be able to help, I have no desire to use this vape with flower, only concentrates.

You won't be disappointed. It fully vaporizes the load, there may be small amounts of melted reclaim still within the pad and the reclaim that is on the glass lid is condensed vapor. So really once you put it in the FF2 nothing will really be lost.

The efficiency is definitely there. If you don't fully vaporize a dab of concentrate it will stay melted in the pad and will be vaporized properly during your next session.

The FF2 still does best as a solo vaporizer though. If you are doing back to back draws and holding the heater on constantly it may overheat and force you to wait ~30 seconds for another draw by the end of a concentrate session if you're pushing it hard. Generally I don't have this issue anymore but that comes from practice.

As far as performance, this will literally produce cold concentrate vapor. That's unheard of and the FF2 is the only concentrate device that I feel completely comfortable using without water. The vapor quality using concentrates is top notch in terms of flavor, smoothness, clouds, and potency.

I use the pads until I start to notice a decrease in flavor and then I clean them. You can order replacement pads from Firefly.

I basically have a rotation of clean pads and when they all are dirty I soak and clean them all.

You can clean the concentrate pads like so:

1. Soak concentrate pads in iso
2. Dab off pads with paper towel and re-soak in clean iso
3. Repeat until the pads have no residue within them

I've been cleaning the pads for awhile and I'd say you could make a pad last ~3-6 months by cleaning them before you may need to purchase new ones.

Eventually the pads start to break down and the wire unwinds and you will want to purchase new pads.

Kirudub

Grr, I have gasket failure on the lid in a few spots on both ends. Complete loss of adhesion, so the gasket is able to be lifted off the glass.

Got in touch with Fire Fly cust support; I guess it's out of warranty after 60 days: "They do degrade over time" was the line I got.

Kills me that an integral part of a $330 vape has such a short warranty period.

Be forewarned: it looks like there was some planned obsolescence built into this product.

Wow. I'm shocked at all the love as I just hate this thing.

1. Flavor way inferior to Crafty.

2. Tends to scorch in the middle. Need to constantly mix your bowl.

3. Restrictive draw. Ok but not a plus.

4. Flimsy. Doesn't seem like something that should cost near 400. These parts are cheapie.

Only advantage is on demand vapor. Overall I give it a 3/5 and that is generous.
I hear you, (especially on the need to stir, I get the same thing, scorching in the center... I've even had COMBUSTION start up due to [I think] too fine a grind) but it should be noted that I had THREE Crafty units fail on me due to bad batteries. That last failed unit prompted S&B to give me the option to upgrade, so I went with a Volcano, since at least I know it'll last forever.

Last edited:

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
I feel bad for all of the negative experiences with the FF2. I was cursing up and down for a little bit too, when u couldn't for the life of me get a good hit.
I feel like I'm part of a small group who can get get great hits off it now. Just keep messing around with different things. It's frustrating when nothing seems to work, but slowly but surely I made small changes, making it better and better each time.
I understand the frustration, and the want to be able to just pick it up and get good hits right away.. but I kind of like that I had a little bit of work to learn it, and you can't just pick it up with no experience with this vape and go. It makes you get to know it a little bit...
I just tried the concentrate pad for the first time... probably why I am rambling... LOL.. but DAMN! I'm blown away!

Randy Lahey

the concentrates I find are much easier to use. With flower, if you have anything spill over the bowl or if you overpack, you cant get a good seal and therefore a good draw from the unit. I still struggle with getting it on right from time to time.

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
It was so smooth and cool, I didn't even think I was getting a hit off the concentrate pad.. until I was coughing the huge cloud out.

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
My technique for a good hit with herb is to pack the bowl with around 0.15g so that it is just starting to mound up over the bowl. I then gently place the lid on top to compress it just a bit. I'm always on power tuning 111% and haven't changed that since I first started playing around with it.

I use temperature settings medium-low and high, and that's it. Medium-low is used during the day and high at night, I do want to note I use the firefly 2 90% of the time with concentrates. It is my SO's on demand unit of choice and she brings it with her most days.

I will start my draw after holding the heater on for about 3-5 seconds to let it warm up. After I take a few 2-3 second primer puffs at a medium draw speed. After those couple draws, I draw as slowly as I can for at least 10 seconds. Stirring every hit or every other hit. This is what works for me to get consistent hits with dry herb.

With concentrates, I set it to the concentrate temperature and just take slow consistent draws for 30 seconds. The first hit will be all flavor as it melts in, but the second will make me cough everytime. I do the same 3-5 second heat up before I start my draw.

Figuring this out for me, took about a week. My SO on the other hand was able to get great results on day one and has not had a problem once. She also has a completely different draw technique than I do. This unit really is all about how much time an individual works with it. The more you use it, the easier it becomes.

I just want them to release an externalcharger...

Radiocitysuicide

Question for you guys. After you initially heat your Firefly up how long does it take for the green light to start blinking again? It seems like mine stays solid way too long like it couldn't possibly still be up to temperature after I've let it sit for ten minutes, especially if I've just raised the temperature and it still lights up solid as if it's already at temp. Is this just the way they work or is there something wrong with this unit? I noticed sneaky pete actually mentions this in his review but never really gets to the bottom of what the issue is or how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom