The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you guys. After you initially heat your Firefly up how long does it take for the green light to start blinking again? It seems like mine stays solid way too long like it couldn't possibly still be up to temperature after I've let it sit for ten minutes, especially if I've just raised the temperature and it still lights up solid as if it's already at temp. Is this just the way they work or is there something wrong with this unit? I noticed sneaky pete actually mentions this in his review but never really gets to the bottom of what the issue is or how to fix it.

This problem was addressed with the newer firmware I believe.

herbivore21

Wow it definitely seems to me like the FF2 is actually better for concentrates than flower lol!

herbivore21,

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Firefly sells them, of course, ha.

@herbivore21
I'm a 99% flower guy and have had this since it came out. I have never had any issue ever with getting meds with this vape. The few times I've had concentrated went just as smoothly as flower, maybe even a tad easier. If you read through this thread everyone that has used it with concentrates has been blown away. I personally love it, and am a huge fan and have been. Now I am a particular person as I think you are as well. I clean it after every load, and am consistent with my grind and always careful to make sure the lid is seated properly(which I have never had an issue with that either). I clean the mouthpiece and have never messed with the screen other than to rub a little ISO on it to clean it. I love it for the efficientcy, lack of smell(vital for me) and I have never even once not achieved a med level I was looking for. Now I'm also a lite user and do pull 2 full 30 second pulls and set it down and come back later. That's a good 1-2hrs of perfection for me and always had been. I rotate strains every new load. The only thing I've noticed differently is with concentrates it just is a stronger med level, nothing else although I have never come across any concentrate anywhere close to the stuff I've seen you create, which look unbelievable...

Firefly completely out of stock for most FF2 accessories for about a month already

NYC_Frank,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
This problem was addressed with the newer firmware I believe.
What's the newest firmware? Mine says 1.9 and that it's already up to date when I try to update. Is that the latest?
That's the latest. You're up to date.

I think there are two separate issues....a sort of "sleep mode" bug that required a second touch to wake the FF after being idle for several hours (and which manifests itself in a solid green as soon as you pick up the FF, similar to what you experienced)....and the fact that you can get a solid green after ten or fifteen minutes of non-use. The latter is, from what I understand, expected behavior....while you're right that it hasn't retained full heat that long, it's usually still warm enough (if you are indoors, in a warm room, anyway) that you can start hitting it because it only takes a few seconds to heat fully from that state.

The sleep bug was fixed....you're on the right version. The other thing is something you will experience under certain conditions, depending on the ambient air temps.

Radiocitysuicide

That's the latest. You're up to date.

I think there are two separate issues....a sort of "sleep mode" bug that required a second touch to wake the FF after being idle for several hours....and the fact that you can get a solid green after ten or fifteen minutes of non-use. The latter is, from what I understand, expected behavior....while you're right that it hasn't retained full heat that long, it's usually still warm enough (if you are indoors, in a warm room, anyway) that you can start hitting it because it only takes a few seconds to heat fully from that state.

The sleep bug was fixed....you're on the right version. The other thing is something you will experience under certain conditions, depending on the ambient air temps.

Cool. Thanks!

Radiocitysuicide,
Reactions: mitchgo61

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
Wow it definitely seems to me like the FF2 is actually better for concentrates than flower lol!

I like it more for concentrates, but it does still do a grear job with herb. Just a little more attention needed for herbs in my experience. I think I like it for concentrate more has to do with a more flexible draw speed and no stirring needed.

herbivore21

I like it more for concentrates, but it does still do a grear job with herb. Just a little more attention needed for herbs in my experience. I think I like it for concentrate more has to do with a more flexible draw speed and no stirring needed.
This was the impression I got. Stirring is a deal breaker for me (especially in a portable, opening the bowl part way through vaping flowers is the least stealthy thing you could possibly do lol) but thankfully, I do not use flowers. It really sounds like this is going to be the best possible option for me as a portable concentrate driver.

Tell me, how long does the battery last with concentrate use only before running flat? Is there an external charger that I can use to charge the second battery outside of the unit?

Also is the zipper case (not the leather one) smell proof? I have gotten the impression that this is not a very smelly unit compared to most other vapes out there anyway so this may be not such a concern.

I really look forward to ditching pens for something that can be cleaned and give me tasty hits to the end of the bowl. IME, pens of all kinds (coil-based or coil-less) tend to taste like shit towards the end of the load. Like so bad tasting that I wouldn't even want to finish the load! Cleaning is also a major PITA even for coil-less carts. BTW, are the concentrate pads for this unit the same size as the S & B pads?

herbivore21,

Lookatmeglow

With concentrate use the battery lasts me two, 10-15 minutes sessions. Not very long unfortunately. That is when using it on the concentrate setting and 111% power tuning. There is no external charger available that I am aware of. The moment one is available I plan on buying it and maybe a third battery.

I do not own any case for the firefly 2 at the moment. I want to buy one, but haven't found a need quite yet. I have carried the firefly 2 in my pocket, light weight jacket not anything heavy, and have been in public without anyone coming up to me or noticing that I could tell. I'm not suggesting to use this in public, merely I have used it while I was with my SO and didn't want to leave it in the car. Before anyone asks or assumes, she was driving as I don't drive under the influence.

As for the concentrate pads, I have no idea. I have only used the firefly 2 concentrate pads with it.

Lookatmeglow,

herbivore21

With concentrate use the battery lasts me two, 10-15 minutes sessions. Not very long unfortunately. That is when using it on the concentrate setting and 111% power tuning. There is no external charger available that I am aware of. The moment one is available I plan on buying it and maybe a third battery.

I do not own any case for the firefly 2 at the moment. I want to buy one, but haven't found a need quite yet. I have carried the firefly 2 in my pocket, light weight jacket not anything heavy, and have been in public without anyone coming up to me or noticing that I could tell. I'm not suggesting to use this in public, merely I have used it while I was with my SO and didn't want to leave it in the car. Before anyone asks or assumes, she was driving as I don't drive under the influence.

As for the concentrate pads, I have no idea. I have only used the firefly 2 concentrate pads with it.
Don't worry about judgement from people about driving under the influence. Remember, cannabis is actually not necessarily unsafe for driving.

Even Sativex, a medication whose active portion is extracted from flowers using bubble hash technique (they call the resulting bubble an Enriched Trichome Preparation in the medical literature) and then distilled to create a homogenous mixture of THC, CBD and some terps etc (basically similar to the sorts of things we dab but with a consistent dose of 1:1 thc:cbd + terps) is very clear that people should wait to see how the medication effects them before driving or operating machinery - not that they should not do so at all!

Damn, that battery life seems pretty lackluster. I don't know if that is going to get the job done for my needs...

Lookatmeglow

I just try to limit my risk by driving sober. I have had friends hurt in car accidents because the other driver was not sober. Just my own personal choice, just like others are allowed to make theirs. But, enough off topic talk lol.

The battery isn't really anything to go home about. It does its job well enough, but definitely still needs more juice. Firefly really needs to release the external charger asap. That is what I think is holding it back.

herbivore21

I just try to limit my risk by driving sober. I have had friends hurt in car accidents because the other driver was not sober. Just my own personal choice, just like others are allowed to make theirs. But, enough off topic talk lol.

The battery isn't really anything to go home about. It does its job well enough, but definitely still needs more juice. Firefly really needs to release the external charger asap. That is what I think is holding it back.
Thanks man, your feedback has been very helpful. No problem at all on the driving and your personal decision to avoid it when using cannabis brother, you sound like you're trying to do your best not to negatively effect others with your usage and that is perfectly respectable :)

IIRC, they use the same batteries for the first Firefly as for the Firefly 2 (IIRC the only change was they increase the mah rating?)? The OG firefly had an external charger, I wonder if this would work? I do wonder whether since my portable needs are very occasional, if the FF2 would still do the job for me? Hmmmmm... lots to think about lol

Lookatmeglow

Thanks man, your feedback has been very helpful. No problem at all on the driving and your personal decision to avoid it when using cannabis brother, you sound like you're trying to do your best not to negatively effect others with your usage and that is perfectly respectable :)

IIRC, they use the same batteries for the first Firefly as for the Firefly 2 (IIRC the only change was they increase the mah rating?)? The OG firefly had an external charger, I wonder if this would work? I do wonder whether since my portable needs are very occasional, if the FF2 would still do the job for me? Hmmmmm... lots to think about lol

I believe you are correct about the battery and charger, but don't quote me on that. I have not seen a firefly 1 charger available for purchase either. You can still charge both batteries in about 2 hours and have both ready on the go. I have done that as well. It's a little more cumbersome to carry without a case, but tuberware containers served their purpose quite well.

sixstringsmash

If you have the OG firefly you can actually just use the FF1 unit as an external charger! Ever since I got my FF2 the FF1 has been permanently plugged into a wall jack with the back plate removed and I just use it like a charger for my batteries in the FF2. Works just as good as the external charger!

Morimoto

Hey all!!!

I haven't posted for a long time because I have been in college and very happy with my FireFly2!! No need to seek help when the FF2 works perfectly!!!! All herbs, except lid goo being collected then vaped on concentrate pads (best concentrate ever!!! I /drool onto my lap/desk/shirt/face almost every time I get so high)

I still take a tolerance break every 2 weeks (1 week off, 2 weeks on) and every time I break the tolerance with my FireFly2 It goes like this; I grab, I walk/bike into the woods, I pack the FF2, heat it up, take long double timeout draws per lung full, after the second lung full (4 full time outs no stir)... I'm so blasted I can't even walk or hardly stand, eventually I make my way to the grocery store and proceed to buy copious amounts of junk food^^

STILL a very happy customer, my only tiny gripe is battery life, but I use it at my desk mostly so she's always got 2 full batteries. I only ever get to 2 dead batteries when I'm in a fury of vaping... in which case I'm fully blasted to the moon for a few hours!

FuckCombustion has provided me with a life line on the bus back and forth to College over the last year, ghost reading FC totally helped keep me sane being stuck with all the normal non-stoned plebs on the bus!!!

Thanks! Love from Canada!!!!

dgmulf

I'm considering buying a Firefly 2. The only other vape I own is a glass Sherlock VaporGenie. Can anyone compare the vaping experience on these two devices, in terms of vapor quality, flavor, ease of use, etc.?

sixstringsmash

Hey all!!!
my only tiny gripe is battery life, but I use it at my desk mostly so she's always got 2 full batteries. I only ever get to 2 dead batteries when I'm in a fury of vaping... in which case I'm fully blasted to the moon for a few hours!

The FF2 batteries are very finicky I've found. If I take the battery off the charger and immediately start vaping from the FF2 right after charging I'll find the batteries will last a very long time but the battery just degrades so fast when not in use also. If I charge my FF2 battery to full, just put it away and don't use it for a day or two I find when I put it in the unit it will barely get a bowl(if that), but if its just taken freshly off the charger without giving the battery any time to deplete on it's own it will last an oddly long time.

sixstringsmash,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm considering buying a Firefly 2. The only other vape I own is a glass Sherlock VaporGenie. Can anyone compare the vaping experience on these two devices, in terms of vapor quality, flavor, ease of use, etc.?

If you like your VG then you'll like the draw on the FF2. Long and slow wins the race with this one!

stickstones,
Reactions: dgmulf

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
FF2 is like a sophisticated VG which learned to hold a lighter for you and cool down a vapor. Say Cumberbatch Sherlock.

Xelatsok,
Reactions: dgmulf

almost there

Do you guys know if this is true about apple banning vapor apps including firefly?
https://vaping.com/blog/comment/yes-apple-just-banned-vaping-but-no-apple-is-not-making-a-vape/

Will firefly offer additional functionality with the buttons before its too late?

I contacted FF via chat, and they claimed they don't know anything about it.
It would be a very big step backwards if such a thing is true. Though I don't find I use the app much with my vaporizer I don't like having my options taken away by someone else. I've been using iphones for years and never once considered replacing my iphone with anything but a newer iphone. I really hope this is just rumor because then I would have to boycott apple products.:2c:

fogbank

IIRC, they use the same batteries for the first Firefly as for the Firefly 2 (IIRC the only change was they increase the mah rating?)?

The FF1 batteries are not identical to the FF2 batteries, the latter having a small round "lip" on one end to facilitate removal from the device. You can use them interchangeably, but you may find it difficult to remove the FF1 batteries from the FF2 (no "lip" to grab). In fact I have often found it difficult to remove the FF1 batteries from the FF1 itself.

FancyMan5000

My Jet Black model just arrived today! I can see why those seem to love and hate this pipe. I've been using a Solo for 3 years. It produced great flavor, didn't require much material to load and it conserved my bud, and it was reliable. The downside is that it is bulky to carry around, it takes 10-15 min to reach a suitable high, and after continued daily use for 3 years the heat from the vapor began to mildly irritate my mouth.

At first introduction with my FF2, I notice that where the Solo lacked the FF2 excels. It is compact. Trying to carry around a Solo was like stuffing a dildo in your pocket. With all heat/power options maxed. The essence of the flower was extracted completely in 4 to 5 gracious puffs. The vapor is dense, importantly to me, the vapor is ultra cool. I was stoned in 5 minutes.

While becoming familiar with the FF2, I dislike the recommended volume of flower required to load the unit. It seems the FF2 is double the chamber volume of the Solo. My FF2 battery was drained after LESS THAN 2 bowls. The first bowl was superb I yearned for more. The second load didn't completely vaporize as great as the first one. I got only 2 to 3 dense vapes. Although, I may have been too excited to inhale and drew too quickly to allow the chamber to heat. Lastly, it irks me that I cannot get a satisfactory hit unless I am using the FF app.

I guess as long as this unit does the job and I'm not slow cooking my mouth, I am satisfied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom