The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh4dy15

I am seeking a real review on the firefly 2. I pre ordered one, but it's not too late to cancel. I've seen a lot of good video reviews but they seem pretty bias to only the good. Is this thing really worth the $358 after tax, I spent?

I'm sure a lots been mentioned in all the pages of this forum thread, but I don't have time to read all of them. If a couple people could give me your thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's my review from reddit and I posted it here in pieces as well....

I am coming from the Solo, just so people know for comparison purposes.

First hit I took I got a HUGE cloud followed by a coughing fit because due to some reviews to this point I was expecting some wispy vapor. Not the case at all. It blew me away. Used my chromium crusher to grind the material, packed to top of bowl loosely and tamped down slightly.

Got about 10 hits on Medium High, vapor slowly tapered off with each hit. The vapor is literally COLD. You can feel it when you inhale, its incredible. Every 3 hits I tapped it on my hand to stir it. Seemed to work fine but after first 6 or so I did open it up to stir it. Don't even know if that was necessary but wasn't a big deal anyway, it comes with 2 little plastic stir sticks in the cleaning pack.

After the 10 or so hits on Medium High I jumped it up to high to finish it off. No Bluetooth connection issues.

Battery indicator is a little wonky but I'm sure that is a firmware issue. That is the only negative I can think of honestly.

I suspect that those having issues fall into 1 of 3 categories:

1 - User error. Not using long slow draws, pieces getting under seal of lid, packing too loosely, wrong heat level, etc.

2 - Defective device. It's not impossible that some of these may be defective. Doesn't seem to be at same rate of the GH but I'm sure some are out there.

3 - Expecting a smoking experience, which this is not. It's a vape and it's a high quality vape.

Anyone on the fence....take the plunge. It's worth it.

Also, just to be clear when I say the vapor is cold I am not exaggerating. It's actually cold.

EDIT: If I shouldn't have reposted this, feel free to delete.

Last edited:

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I am seeking a real review on the firefly 2. I pre ordered one, but it's not too late to cancel. I've seen a lot of good video reviews but they seem pretty bias to only the good. Is this thing really worth the $358 after tax, I spent?
There are several thoughtful reviews on the last 3 pages of this thread. Perhaps you could start there... :cool:

There are a few thoughtful reviews on the last 3 pages. Perhaps you could start there rather than having our members repeat what they've already posted? :cool:

Last edited:

toked23

Lmao, that summed that up. Glad to hear as well. I assumed it, but curious what you all may have to say.

toked23,

vape4fun

I finally pulled the mouth piece hard enough to take it off the firefly. In the last couple days I've been scared to pull hard. Anyway I was surprised to find a decent amount of product stuck in the small holes on screen and little pieces I thought I had blown out stuck between the screen and end of mouthpiece.

The mouth piece is worth a look after your first 20-30 bowls and id love to hear what people are finding when they take a look. Personally I see screen as bit unnecessary for me but to each their own.

In conclusion if you feel like opening up the vapor path it's worth a look and at least a cleaning and at most a complete removal.

Yes you can obviously eat some Herb which was probably a complain from first edition, but
A. It can't hurt
B. It's not like you're eating ash like in old school bowl.
C. If you're slowly inhaling you should be able to avoid eating herbs...

Enjoy yours how you will and I'm loving mine as will all you people patiently waiting!

vape4fun,

colomarijuana

I would love to hear some feedback from @colomarijuana. I think I'm going to continue to play with it for at least 24 hours before calling Firefly, though (I don't want them to send a new top if I don't need it)

Yo! When I first got my device the only thing I noticed over the first 5-10 bowls was that the airflow was inconsistent. Sometimes I would have no air resistance and other times I would have some air resistance. I was pissed trying to figure out if I was hitting/drawing wrong or if something was wrong with the lid.

Then my next bowl, I decided to pinch down on the front of my device with two fingers between the bottom battery plate and the top lid then bam! I was getting a medium amount of air resistance and I was able to get decent clouds throughout my bowl. Even though it looks really dumb to use with two hands, I was able to keep using the device.

When I look at the rubber gasket, I noticed a gap between the inner-edge of the lid and where the rubber gasket ends. It was not perfectly flush at the end of the lid and I believe this caused airflow issues. The gasket was also starting to come up on the inside already which I'm sure wasn't helping.

On my new lid, the rubber gasket is completely flush with the inner lid all the way around. Now I get a medium amount of resistance and consistent vapor throughout my bowl. The lid overall is still somewhat sensitive, but at least now I know there is debris when I don't get the right level of air resistance.

fwiw, when I spoke with Firefly last week, they said the device was made to work both with users who like to draw slowly or those who hit the device harder. He said "everyone breathes differently, and we've designed the Firefly to work however the user wants to inhale". I've found this to be true as long as the hit is at least 5 seconds long to build up heat and start producing vapor.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I finally pulled the mouth piece hard enough to take it off the firefly. In the last couple days I've been scared to pull hard. Anyway I was surprised to find a decent amount of product stuck in the small holes on screen and little pieces I thought I had blown out stuck between the screen and end of mouthpiece.

In conclusion if you feel like opening up the vapor path it's worth a look and at least a cleaning and at most a complete removal.

I mentioned a couple pages back that I think it's a good idea to remove the mouthpiece every few bowls to clean it out....most users will be surprised to see how much crap can get caught in there, impeding the draw even more.

I have tried it sans screen. (Accidentally....knocked it out while cleaning unknowingly. It was fun trying to find it when I realized it was missing!) I didn't care for it....I got a lot of debris in my mouth. That little sucker really stops a lot.

Another noticeable improvement over FF1. :nod:

vape4fun

It's funny because I've had bad luck using grinder with this guy but doing it by hand has been awesome for me so no little small pieces on the first bowl but yeah That could change on next one but having never owned the OG I am not sure how pervasive a problem it is

vape4fun,

purplenurple24

Yo! When I first got my device the only thing I noticed over the first 5-10 bowls was that the airflow was inconsistent. Sometimes I would have no air resistance and other times I would have some air resistance. I was pissed trying to figure out if I was hitting/drawing wrong or if something was wrong with the lid.

Then my next bowl, I decided to pinch down on the front of my device with two fingers between the bottom battery plate and the top lid then bam! I was getting a medium amount of air resistance and I was able to get decent clouds throughout my bowl. Even though it looks really dumb to use with two hands, I was able to keep using the device.

When I look at the rubber gasket, I noticed a gap between the inner-edge of the lid and where the rubber gasket ends. It was not perfectly flush at the end of the lid and I believe this caused airflow issues. The gasket was also starting to come up on the inside already which I'm sure wasn't helping.

On my new lid, the rubber gasket is completely flush with the inner lid all the way around. Now I get a medium amount of resistance and consistent vapor throughout my bowl. The lid overall is still somewhat sensitive, but at least now I know there is debris when I don't get the right level of air resistance.

fwiw, when I spoke with Firefly last week, they said the device was made to work both with users who like to draw slowly or those who hit the device harder. He said "everyone breathes differently, and we've designed the Firefly to work however the user wants to inhale". I've found this to be true as long as the hit is at least 5 seconds long to build up heat and start producing vapor.
After reading your post, I think my lid/gasket is screwed up. I've had almost the exact same experience as you. I also noticed earlier today that my gasket is not completely flush with the metal lip. It's offset a little bit on the mouthpiece end so I wasn't sure if it would cause an issue or not. I'm gonna play with it a little later, but I think that I'll be making a phone call to Firefly tomorrow. Thanks a lot for sharing @colomarijuana. I REALLY appreciate it.

purplenurple24,

mitchgo61

After reading your post, I think my lid/gasket is screwed up. I've had almost the exact same experience as you. I also noticed earlier today that my gasket is not completely flush with the metal lip. It's offset a little bit on the mouthpiece end so I wasn't sure if it would cause an issue or not. I'm gonna play with it a little later, but I think that I'll be making a phone call to Firefly tomorrow. Thanks a lot for sharing @colomarijuana. I REALLY appreciate it.

Does the draw/hit qualityimprove noticeably if you squeeze gently on the lid? If so it might be the gasket.

colomarijuana

No problem. By the way, and not sure if this has been mentioned, but here is another troubleshooting step to verify there are no leaks in the air path.

Take your lid off and put your finger over the small air hole above the mouthpiece. Now inhale. There should be an airtight seal that does not let any air through. If air is coming through you should check to make sure the mouthpiece is in all the way. If you are still having air leaks, you could have a mouthpiece issue.

Good luck!

purplenurple24

Does the draw/hit qualityimprove noticeably if you squeeze gently on the lid? If so it might be the gasket.
I'm about to go experiment some more, but that seems to be the results I'm getting. Earlier, I was getting about twice the vapor production just by gently applying pressure to the lid. I'd rather not have to pull out the warranty already, but it's looking like that might be the route I have to take.

No problem. By the way, and not sure if this has been mentioned, but here is another troubleshooting step to verify there are no leaks in the air path.

Take your lid off and put your finger over the small air hole above the mouthpiece. Now inhale. There should be an airtight seal that does not let any air through. If air is coming through you should check to make sure the mouthpiece is in all the way. If you are still having air leaks, you could have a mouthpiece issue.

Good luck!
I will definitely be trying that before I try anything else. Thanks for the tip(s), buddy. If I end up having to go through customer service, you've made the process easier.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting. I can't seem to find a delete button.

Modnote: Back to back posts merged. There is no delete button, but edits are available for six hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
purplenurple24,

mitchgo61

I'm about to go experiment some more, but that seems to be the results I'm getting. Earlier, I was getting about twice the vapor production just by gently applying pressure to the lid. I'd rather not have to pull out the warranty already, but it's looking like that might be the route I have to take.

That's what it's for. If it isn't working properly, pull out the warranty. I'm sure FF will make you happy again!

oddjobold

Vape swap shop

The mouth piece is worth a look after your first 20-30 bowls and id love to hear what people are finding when they take a look. Personally I see screen as bit unnecessary for me but to each their own.

Yes you can obviously eat some Herb which was probably a complain from first edition, but
A. It can't hurt
B. It's not like you're eating ash like in old school bowl.
C. If you're slowly inhaling you should be able to avoid eating herbs...

Enjoy yours how you will and I'm loving mine as will all you people patiently waiting!

I mentioned a couple pages back that I think it's a good idea to remove the mouthpiece every few bowls to clean it out....most users will be surprised to see how much crap can get caught in there, impeding the draw even more.

I have tried it sans screen. (Accidentally....knocked it out while cleaning unknowingly. It was fun trying to find it when I realized it was missing!) I didn't care for it....I got a lot of debris in my mouth. That little sucker really stops a lot.

Another noticeable improvement over FF1. :nod:

I reluctantly ended up selling the original because I was hacking up green stuff from my lungs. Convinced i was inhaling herb particles and getting them in my lungs. Sold and switched to an air and the problem went away.

When I saw that problem solved with the FF2 that was enough for me to jump on the pre-order bandwagon. Being in the UK got a while to wait!

shamanstar

I reluctantly ended up selling the original because I was hacking up green stuff from my lungs. Convinced i was inhaling herb particles and getting them in my lungs. Sold and switched to an air and the problem went away.

When I saw that problem solved with the FF2 that was enough for me to jump on the pre-order bandwagon. Being in the UK got a while to wait!
I think that you will be so happy! That is a major improvement imo. I hated that about the OGFF. It is absolutely solved with the FF2!

shamanstar,

Reggie Watts

Damn, my gasket isn't flush with the lid on the bowl end. Maybe that explains my inconsistent results. Thanks for posting that, I never would have thought of it.

Update: Just tested it. Sure enough, applying gentle pressure to the lid changes the airflow, makes it tighter, and gives much better draws with better vapor production. You know, I bet a lot of the criticism of this vape is due to this issue.

Last edited:

Morimoto

Hey everyone!

So my Sexy Blue FF2 has the gasket issue as well (mine is only off by a few thousandths of an inch, not bad at all), but I found out that was the issue on day 2 and solved the issue by just re-seating the lid, always in firm control, not letting it "fly" via magnets. then just drawing the 1st hit and i'll know instantly if it's not sealed because i'm used to the draw now, and it's rarely happening now :) 95% of the time I seat it correctly and get excellent seal/vapor. the 5% no seal made me notice the gap in the gasket upon investigation.

After I started adjusting how I put the lid on, my results were excellent and consistent, absolutely no holding the lid while hitting the device. I contacted FireFly just to open a case file # but because I'm in Canada I will just monitor it for now, if the seal "fails" then I'll let them know and go from there, I don't wan't to get into an international shipping situation right now lol and my FF2 is performing excellent so I'm happy!

FF knows about the gasket issue and I'm fully confident they are correcting the issue now at the factory, I suspect some heads will roll in china over the gaskets!

@Reggie Watts Yes I too think the bad reviews were a result of non seating/sealing lids/gaskets, I'm sure of it.

Edit: Photo added with the micro gap in my gasket, if it fails or gives me issues i'll RMA it for sure, so far like I said, it only improperly seals 5-10% of the time and i'm getting excellent seal with proper seating technique, however I think that micro gap is causing the 5-10% by allowing the lip of the lid to sit incorrectly.

TL;DR ... I think most of the gasket issues are caused by improper seating of the lid, the tolerances are very tight and if any part of the lid lip is riding high, then no proper seal.

ViLSOG6.png

This morning I woke up very sick to my stomach and had the spins, plus my ankylosing spondilitis was flared up, this is a worse case scenario... SO I barfed quickly, gargled baking soda, then I HAD to get high at that point, I loaded the FF2 and looked at the Lotus in a freshly cleaned vaporbong and loaded a kief and flower bowl in the Lotus WPA and got 6 or 7 thickk milky hits..... but was not high enough to take the spins away, and my tummy still hurt and my back/hips were on fire.... SOOO I grab the FF2 and start er up, and BOOM instant relief from the 1st hit, it was perfect, my technique was perfect and I got a massive hit right off the bat, and 5 more right after that. Spins gone, stomach settled, and Stoned to the gills.

I now it's anecdotal but the FF2 with an experienced user, even with a gasket that's off by a few thousands of an inch, is better at medicating than the Lotus.... I DO believe there might be a slight learning curve with the device in general, but the extraction, flavor and high is so amazing, second to none!!

Rambling, heavily added to post, super stoned :)

Last edited:
Morimoto,
Reactions: KeroZen

FLMan420

Damn, my gasket isn't flush with the lid on the bowl end. Maybe that explains my inconsistent results. Thanks for posting that, I never would have thought of it.

Update: Just tested it. Sure enough, applying gentle pressure to the lid changes the airflow, makes it tighter, and gives much better draws with better vapor production. You know, I bet a lot of the criticism of this vape is due to this issue.

Could you take a picture of the lid so we can see how it is not flush? I think I might have the same issue.

FLMan420,
Reactions: KeroZen

Sh4dy15

Thanks for posting this! Ordered one myself!
No problem! Its actually a really awesome case. And from what I can tell it IS actually smell proof.

Only recommendation I have is maybe putting the FireFly in upside down in that bottom part as bottom is more padded...it should be fine either way but I wanted to protect the top of it more so I keep it upside down.

Sh4dy15,
Reactions: Rantor49

Mr. Me2

No problem! Its actually a really awesome case. And from what I can tell it IS actually smell proof.

Only recommendation I have is maybe putting the FireFly in upside down in that bottom part as bottom is more padded...it should be fine either way but I wanted to protect the top of it more so I keep it upside down.
I have several Vatra cases and love them all. I never tried one of their smell proof ones, though. If you call them they're very helpful too.

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: Rantor49

pedrodepacas

... The user manual actually recommends keeping the FF2 on the charging dock while not in use.

From the firefly FAQ page:

By nature, lithium-ion batteries degrade with time and use, so the more you use your battery, the less charge it will hold over time. Firefly is designed with a swappable battery so your device will last far longer than the battery. Treat your battery similar as you would your phone: remove from the charger after it is fully charged, let battery lose charge completely before recharging, and store them at temperatures around 70°F.

pedrodepacas,
Reactions: Sh4dy15

Sh4dy15

By nature, lithium-ion batteries degrade with time and use, so the more you use your battery, the less charge it will hold over time. Firefly is designed with a swappable battery so your device will last far longer than the battery. Treat your battery similar as you would your phone: remove from the charger after it is fully charged, let battery lose charge completely before recharging, and store them at temperatures around 70°F.

Wow I didnt see this...I dont store it on the dock anyway but good to know.

I have no idea what wattage plug I am using but it charges super fast for me. usually full charge in 25 mins or so? Is this most people experience?

Sh4dy15,

purplenurple24

The user manual clearly states to leave the Firefly2 on the charging dock. They are contradicting themselves, I guess. I was under the impression that your quote was correct, but I was quoting Firefly as well...

purplenurple24,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom