1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. amethystwolf

amethystwolf Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I figured I would do. It seems weird to use the device itself as a charger, but so be it. :-)

steama likes this.
  2. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

mixchu69 likes this.
  3. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Have a Firefly 2 coming next week :) Excited to try it out! (Especially for concentrates which is what I've really been hunting for ... a good on-demand concentrate vape :))

mucsusn, PPN and mitchgo61 like this.
  4. Pimpslapper

Pimpslapper Active Member

I got one coming next week too.
    I love my crafty but sometimes I need a very quick hit.
    Are there any third party chargers for the battery?
    Cheers

PPN likes this.
  5. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Really interested to hear your thoughts about the FF2... if it was cheaper and with a smaller design I had already got one!

Although maybe I have better to look at the FF1 since I haven't any fancy smartphone and don't plan to get one since it might be difficult to use it where I live. And since it might be possible to find one for cheap, isn't it?
    Is the FF1 able to vaporize concentrates with a mesh pad?

JCat likes this.
  6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I've heard the FF2 and FF1 are not really in the same league ...

PPN likes this.
  7. amethystwolf

For those of you who have solved the red light issue by using an external charger - did you get the wall unit or the battery charger? I have a quick charge wall unit and a cable so I'll probably try that.

I'm having the issue where the unit works for one or two hits then starts flashing red when I try again - even though the app says the battery is 75% full. I want to love this vape... but having issues so soon is concerning.

flipjoe likes this.
  8. mitchgo61

There’s a weird, known bug. If you leave a battery in an idle FF for several hours it can throw a flashing red despite the actual charge level.

I work around it by keeping one battery charged, and always starting a session with the freshly charged battery. No matter what the charge level of the battery currently sitting in the FF. :2c:

mixchu69 likes this.
  9. amethystwolf

So you probably have the external battery charger? Does keeping it on the doc between hits help? I think I’ll call them tomorrow to see if they will send me the external charger.

10. mitchgo61

Yes I have the old one they made for the FF1....works for FF2 batteries also. Yes, if you docked the batteries anytime you set the FF down for more than a couple hours, that would solve this problem, albeit in a very work-around fashion.

amethystwolf likes this.
  11. Pimpslapper

Does one or two draws decarboxylate the weed even if not evenly toasted?
    I like really strong avb so wouldn't mind tossing the bowl into my avb stash after a couple tokes
    I just got mine today and will test tomorrow morning I cannot wait

12. Pipiemcpipe

Pipiemcpipe New Member

Buy the external charger. Its soo worth it. Didn't really want to spend the extra cash seeing we spent so much on unit . But trust me it was worth it

kcmochris and mitchgo61 like this.
  13. petey

petey Active Member

Quick question: if you hold the mouthpiece close to your ear while the coil is heating up, should you hear an electrical buzzing noise? It's not usually loud enough to hear during normal use, but it's very clear when holding close to my ear. Sounds like a high-pitched transistor or something.

I came back to Firefly during their big Thanksgiving sale, and have found my unit to be extremely finicky. It was giving me very little vapor or medical effects -- but then it would very suddenly combust with a poof of smoke -- as if a piece of dry paper had suddenly ignited. I've stabilized usage a bit by setting it to a Med-high setting, while calibrated to 106% (and not grinding my herb at all). But it's still not great. One or two medium-ok hits, and then it tastes like shit. Will still combust, but only if I surf the buttons. (At higher temps it would combust during its normal 30-second run, even though I've never ventured into the concentrate settings.)

I was going to stay patient and keep working on my technique, but when I noticed the buzzing sound last night I wondered if it's time to return it. But maybe they all sound like that?

Thanks, Pete

14. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

Buzz is normal. Its the heater coil doing its thing. I have not combusted with the old or the new software. I can see it happening if you're riding on high or medium high with a tight pack or if you do not use the tapping method to mix up the goods.

kcmochris likes this.
  15. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

I also hear the buzz. It is normal.

I've combusted a few times with both of my FF2 units. @petey - the trick to avoiding combustion is to keep the temps medium to medium-high, don't "surf" the buttons, and stir frequently (I stir after every two hits).

16. petey

petey Active Member

Ok, good to know the buzzing is normal. I'll keep working on my technique. Yeah, I do think I was loading it too full at first. Coming from larger-capacity vapes I also have to remember I won't get as many good hits with the Firefly before it goes sour. Thanks!

17. Silveradio

Silveradio Member

I’ve had my FF2 since they were originally released back in early to mid 2016. Heard the buzz peeps were talking about but was too faint for me to worry about. Probably cause al the music I’ve played over the past 30 years or so. I have never combusted with my unit yet and I usually ride at high with a 106 tuning. I’ve used different techniques to load with. My favorite is “stickstones” method by putting a bud the size of the bowl in there and packing it a bit. Then take about three hits, flip the bud take three more and finally crumble and get approx. three to four more hits before it’s spent. Works real good imo and still no combustion.

Jill NYC, mitchgo61 and vapen00b like this.
  18. petey

petey Active Member

Last night I finally had a really satisfying session with my new FF. Partly because of a tip here up-thread about drawing more vigorously. But I think my main stumble was packing too tightly. In my defense, I thought I was following FF instructions -- filling slightly above the bowl's brim. But that's pretty subjective, since it depends on how firmly one presses it all in.

Ironically, less material, barely ground, often stirred, leads to a longer, smoother, better tasting, harder hitting session. I think I'm now getting the hang of it, and appreciating its potential.

ShayWhiteGrow likes this.
  19. vapen00b

vapen00b various on-demand full convection units

Hey peeps,

I was wondering, if you have the new app and firmware installed, can you change temps on the device itself, without the app? Not only the temp steps but the actual temperate in certain increments, is that possible?

Thanks for your knowledge... Sticks' method sure works like a treat - in every good vape ;) :)

20. mitchgo61

You can choose from one of seven presets. That’s as granular as you can get.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-220#post-1161955

vapen00b likes this.
  21. Pimpslapper

I have had three sessions now on the same bowl and each time I got flashing red lights at least five times before it worked.
    I tried switching out the battery to no avail.
    When I finally got it to work I got very satisfying clouds. Much bigger than expected and almost as big as on my crafty. I use both at 175c.
    I hope the flashing red goes away because if not it is going back
    I spent almost two minutes getting it to work the last time which eliminates the only advantage over the crafty it has.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors