1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. FractaLSD

FractaLSD PsychMyc

I have a black cover and a gold cover.

Have you guys tried the new app version with the full temperature dial? It also charges up for 3 seconds before each hit. I think it works better. When it gets warm, i just hit it without waiting the 3 seconds, works well.

I love that they keep it evolving rather than make a FF3 with the new firmware. Pax comes out with a new one pretty often. I lost my respect for Pax when they wouldnt honor the 10 year warranty after even 1-2 months. So i decided, forget Pax products. Its still tasty but i can find cheaper conduction ovens

So you can change the temp on the FF2 unit as well? Did not know that! With the new version i keep it at like 405 F. Used to always use the 420 F high setting

Seems really hot but its only exposed to that temp for a few seconds. Would be different if it was a Crafty set to 420 or an Air.

2. Goita

Goita New Member

I was also enjoying the new app and great that they keep looking to improve the performance. Unfortunately I have now stopped using the firefly as I assumed the airpath was isolated from the electronics and only found out the other day that this wasn't the case. Bit gutted as had started to really enjoy it.

3. HallieDee

HallieDee Member

Hello, my first post here and I'm so unhappy to start with the downside, but...

My dear Firefly 2 is on its way back to Firefly World Headquarters in Seattle, Washington, for repair under warranty.

I had the oddest problem, shortly after I did the new software/firmware upgrade thing.

After I had one sweet puff from a newly loaded oven, I took my fingers off the buttons, as I always do, and the light went out, as it always does. But about a second or two later, a strong flash of light came up from the center of the oven and then the smell of burnt herb breached my nose.

I was startled. When I popped the Firefly's cover, yes, the herb was black and burnt. And when I checked the Firefly's temperature on the iPhone, it was set at 380° which shouldn't burn, should it?

So, I'm here to say hello, and ask if anyone else here has had a problem like this with their Firefly 2?

Hallie Dee
    +++++
    TK for now

4. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

I have had multiple combustion events with my FF2 units, as I'm sure others have (and will probably chime in here). I've had better luck since I lowered the temps on both units. I use one on "Medium" and one on "Medium High". When the new app came out I looked up the original temp settings and set both units to their corresponding temperatures.

I still don't feel like combustion is impossible, but I do feel like the probability is lower than when I was running them on "High" with temp adjustment set to 105%.

Unfortunately many of the vapes I've used have combusted at one time or another, regardless of how the temperature was set.

For the FF2 I would just clean it thoroughly with ISO and leave it outside to air out after a combustion event.

5. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

6. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Willy likes this.
  7. mitchgo61

Thanks. Unaware of that thread...as usual you are way ahead of me.

8. Charredphilly

Charredphilly New Member

Hello, new member here but long time vaporizer. Historically been using crafty, plenty, da vinci (didnt like) but they would consume a lot of material. I have recently purchased the firefly and despite all the bad reviews I love it! Very economical and the same quality clouds as the crafty. However, it is actually combusting my material, regardless of what setting I put on, the only thing that changes when i do that is how difficult it is to get a big cloud. I called firefly and the vaposhop and both say it is a faulty unit but I am not convinced and believe it is because i know how to ‘abuse’ the unit to get a big cloud.. anybody else have the same experience? Thanks!

9. mitchgo61

Unless you’re using the Concentrate settings, the FF really shouldn’t combust. I agree with the FF folks that these sound like faulty units. You should be able to pack the bowl tight and hit it hard even up the High setting without achieving combustion. There are some units floating around that have some bugs within the temperature algorithm and I suspect that’s what you guys are experiencing. No downside in letting FF have a look and see if they can’t fix or replace the units. :2c:

Jill NYC likes this.
  10. Fumegante

Fumegante New Member

My firefly had been charring for the longest time. I tried many different techniques but still would end up with very uneven abv regardless of the temperature and calibration.
    It wasnt untill recently that i found out the culprit: drawing speed. Im not sure if everyone has the same experience but if i draw slowly it's a highway to charrtown, if i draw harder it never chars and my material lasts a lot longer and i get consistent hits all the way through, considering i stir between every hit.
    Another thing i found was the curing point of the bud. If its too humid it tends to char and potentially combust a lot more.
    Even with these recent findings im still on the fence about sending mine in. I have the impression my unit has an issue and puts out too much heat, theres a major hotspot issue if im not careful with the drawing.
    I also noticed that if i put my finger on the bowl and turn it on the screen gets very hot imediately which could be leading to conduction imo. Im wondering if this is normal? Does anyone have a similar experience?

Ps: my unit is very clean and i use corse hand grinding. (I actually tried every kind of grinding possible too in the process)

11. Charredphilly

Charredphilly New Member

Thank you. Only downside is not having a vape ;-) anything you recommend as backup?

mitchgo61 likes this.
  12. mitchgo61

Boy there’s a large subject. :lol:

I’m a big of The Mighty, but it’s a very different kind of vape from the FF. For pure flavor the only thing I like as much as the FF2 is the FF1. :p

13. Xelatsok

Xelatsok vapes tobacco modding the vapes

Lotus. It could become your primary though.

14. Charredphilly

Charredphilly New Member

The mighty never dissapoints I agree but .. it uses a lot of material compatee to FF2..

15. Charredphilly

Charredphilly New Member

Have not seen this one in Europe.. will check it out

16. Brewervapesalot

Brewervapesalot Member

If you're getting charring, make sure it's clean and the holes aren't clogged.

I have two and neither will char at high settings when clean.

But get some holes clogged and over pack and don't stir and u can char and/or combust.

I widdened the holes in one unit just slightly and there is dramatic difference in draw restriction. Much easier to pull.

Now that I think about it, that unit is better at keeping holes clean and thus better at more even vaping/less charring. I will widen holes on second unit when I find a little time to do so...

Totally recommend doing it, but probably voids warranty, and looks like from other posts if you widen them too much -- vapor production suffers....

17. BobEnray

BobEnray New Member

What's the story with the airpath? Does that mean the vapor literally draws over the circuit board? I've got a FF2 coming in the mail Thursday and am excited about it, but this could dampen that a bit. I'd decided that convection is the healthiest approach and was looking forward to trying it.

18. mitchgo61

The air doesn’t travel over the PCB. It enters on the front and sides of the bowl, through the horizontal slots. It does travel over, or very near, the two farthest solder points.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-148#post-1009122
    http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-148#post-1009230

Here’s a post with a quote from the FF design guy on this issue:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-149#post-1009824

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Goita, BobEnray, JCat and 1 other person like this.
  19. Goita

Goita New Member

Thanks for posting the links, very useful although ( and I know I am being a bit OCD about this) I still feel their is potential for the air to be contaminated and before anyone says it I am sure their is more crap in the air we breathe!

mitchgo61 likes this.
  20. mitchgo61

Well that’s why I asked FF directly about it....as you can tell there was a lot of stressing here on FC regarding this issue. I am personally satisfied with their answer...that none of the PCB is in the path, and that the solder is safe. But obviously everyone has to decide for themselves. :2c:

Goita likes this.
  21. Goita

Goita New Member

The key is keeping it all in perspective which I lost a bit and your post has put me back on track!

mitchgo61 likes this.
  22. Drug

Drug High Functioning

Turned my unit on after a couple of months, and I'm really digging this new firmware. I use my my FF2 for sort of microdosing, taking two or three puffs every few hours. The results I'm getting on the new firmware are way more present than it used to be, forcing me to go back to one puff just to keep things neutral enough for my office job. Great work, they really tuned it the way it's supposed to be tuned.

23. amethystwolf

amethystwolf Well-Known Member

I just got my firefly 2. Late to the party, but I really like it so far.

I am puzzled by the extra battery, which didn't come with any way to charge it. I'd like to be able to keep that charged as a backup, but I'd rather not pay $40 for the charger from Firefly.

Does anyone know of a charger that will work for this type of battery?

I guess I could put it in the firefly, charge it and take it out again when it's charged.

What do you guys do with the extra battery? It seems silly that they sent it with no way to recharge.

steama likes this.
  24. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Why don't you just remove a charged battery from the FF2 and then charge the other battery and then just rotate them between uses and charging?

You only need the FF2 -- no additional charger is needed.

25. kilrtjat

kilrtjat Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

do you have any official Firefly case? and also vaporizer vapir prima? fit into this case? can anyone try it out?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors