The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sag

...well since I just bought two new ones, (red, gold)...I'm expecting them to announce it any day....

I was planning on ordering another lid on their sale but it occurred to me that with my luck they are getting rid of stock so they can come out with a new and improved lid...; )

sag,
Reactions: turk

turk

turk
...it doesn't matter...this device will successfully vape anything concentrate wise you can get on pad...and with great taste too!...cheers:ko:

turk,

twigs

Pay no mind to those voices in my head
...it doesn't matter...this device will successfully vape anything concentrate wise you can get on pad...and with great taste too!...cheers:ko:
I was concerned that maybe oil would pass through the concentrate pad and drip onto the plate below

twigs,
Reactions: turk

Vaporweight

Mr and Mrs McFireFly's out there....

FF2 noob, dived in over the holidays due to the 'special' holiday offer that now looks like a total waste of money...why sell me an ac adapter that does nothing unless I also buy the charging dock?

Anyhoo....4 days in and so far the flavour production has been a massive let down. I started vaping with an MFLB, recently took on a flowermate 5.0s, and both of them shame the ff2 for taste.

For $330, all the marketing, plus the ton of raving reviews and forum devotees I really was expecting something out of the ordinary. And so far it has been underwhelming at best, and at worst a massive con. My $70 flowermate produces that chewy, tangy joy for the first few hits every time, and with the same material the FF2 offers nothing more than a subtle, plastic hint of nothing.

I've followed all the instructions and tips and am at a loss. Will swap out the mouthpiece that came with it for one of the two that came in my 'bargain' holiday package, just to see.

Has anyone else had the same issue, and any experience of how to achieve the taste epiphany their marketing promotes?

Thanks guys, happy vaping x

Luv2Vape

After staying away from FC for awhile, and hitting my EVO as my daily driver, I've been in vaporizer bliss. Recently, I've been wanting to switch things up & have been craving pure flavor, experimenting with my Enano glass flavor tube again, and reading about portables. I decided to take the plunge & order an FF2 directly from Firefly. It got here today. I charged the unit, slightly overfilled the bowl after shredding in my 3 piece Space Case (which I usually don't consider a fine enough grinder for vapes, although I read [mostly] about how the FF2 works better without a fine grind). I just finished my first bowl & here are my observations:

1. Temp - I had to up the temp profile to high & power tuned to 111 to suit my high temp vaping preference. I did a bit of experimenting on the way though, and will change profile down towards medium if I want pure flavor.

2. Flavor - I have enough experience with vaping that I really appreciate the flavor coming from this device. This is going to be a great tool to 'experience' the flavor of new strains.

3. Vapor - Clouds were decent sized, no complaints here, but I feel that this device is not really made for that reason. I can see how cloud chasers could have a problem with this type of device. I find that most non-vapers expect something close to smoke or the giant clouds produced from my evo. It was exactly what I was expecting, amazing flavor & good solid vapor on high temp. I'll need to try a few more bowls now that I've gotten my settings dialed in (I think) before I can really comment on this.

4. Lid - I noticed that the lid, after snapping on magnetically, is not always properly aligned to the unit. It's not a big deal but something to be aware of to get the proper seal.

5. Technique - I varied my technique a bit here, keeping in mind the recommendations I've seen for slow, long draws. I would say I took about 6 or 7 slow, long draws, with some degree of experimental variation.

I'll need to play with lots of things like grind/coarseness, water content of material, draw speed, etc. before I feel like I've gotten a technique & ritual down that works. Looking forward to the next bowl, which will be very soon!! I'm very happy with this little device so far. Did I mention that the flavor is amazing?

Last edited:

Vambo1980

I've had the FF2 for a few months and I'm another one of the ones that can't get on with it.

It is fine for concentrates in fact it's the best flavour I've tried through any vape with a properly produced shatter. With herb it is dire, I've tried everything to get it working sweet every time (which is a must for me) but all I get is partial load charring and after the first toke then a popcorn taste from partially over cooked herb. Dropping the temp doesn't improve because I then don't get any sort of satisfaction. Hate having to stir the oven and the abv that's get stuck in the seal and resin on the glass. I've broke one lid already and until I get some decent concentrate again the thing will be gathering dust.

Concentrates-yes
Herbs-no

Vambo1980,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Has anyone else had the same issue, and any experience of how to achieve the taste epiphany their marketing promotes?

Speaking only for myself, my FF experiences have been diametrically opposed to yours. Both FF models have the best, most natural flavor of any of the vapes I've used, desktop or portable. I have not used the Flowermate, but I have two MFLB's and can't say they compare favorably, flavor-wise, to the FFs. I actually like conduction vapes under certain circumstances but they don't provide the kind of flavor a convection device like the FF can.

You said you've tried everything tip-wise, so I'm not sure what else could be added here...though keeping your temp profile on the lower side, like Medium, will help with flavor profiles. You didn't really describe the vapor quality you are getting beyond flavor issues, so it isn't clear to me if you are getting good vapor and you just don't love the flavor, or you aren't getting decent vapor at all. If you gave us more detail on the exact experience it might help narrow down some issues.

There really is no way to account for personal taste, so maybe it's just one of those things that you will never really love. For me great flavor is the defining feature of both FF models. When I wanna really taste one of my strains, nothing beats the FF.

Vaporweight

You said you've tried everything tip-wise, so I'm not sure what else could be added here...though keeping your temp profile on the lower side, like Medium, will help with flavor profiles. You didn't really describe the vapor quality you are getting beyond flavor issues, so it isn't clear to me if you are getting good vapor and you just don't love the flavor, or you aren't getting decent vapor at all. If you gave us more detail on the exact experience it might help narrow down some issues.

There really is no way to account for personal taste, so maybe it's just one of those things that you will never really love. For me great flavor is the defining feature of both FF models. When I wanna really taste one of my strains, nothing beats the FF.

The vapor is there as I'm pleasantly medicated after a session on the FF2, so there seems to be no problem with extraction. I'm not a cloud chaser either - my MFLB did me just fine for nearly 2 years. But I've tried every heating profile, (although not played with the power tuning as that seems to be akin to fine tuning) and there has been no noticeable change in the lack of taste at any level. If I wrap my lips round the mouthpiece like it's an oxygen lifeline I can get more vapor per hit, but no improvement in the absence of flavour.

And this can't be a matter of personal preference. I'm 25 years deep with this and like most everyone else on this forum could detect the faintest whiff of herb among a bag full of farts! Flavour is flavour - and my device is not providing it.

I find this polarised experience baffling. The problems are not related to design choices or user preference, which are subjective, it's down to the taste, which in my experience is pretty objective. Some users report amazing tasting vapor, then there are those like me who couldn't be more underwhelmed. The only thing I can think of that could explain such bizarrely opposing experiences would be varying quality of construction, but as I'm getting decent extraction and my abv is uniformly brown it appears to be working as it should.

So I'm stumped!

Modnote: Fixed broken quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaporweight,

Vaporcussion

I actually like conduction vapes under certain circumstances but they don't provide the kind of flavor a convection device like the FF can.

Check out the Davinci IQ if you haven't; many people have said it reminds them of the FF taste. First half of the bowl anyway ;)

Vaporcussion,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@Vaporweight - Are you getting weird taste like there is something else in your air path? Are you comparing the flavor you are getting now with those other vapes side by side, or recalling how they tasted with different herbs back in the day? I'm just wondering if you're able to do an apples to apples comparison now, as that helps me when comparing vapes. Also, I think you and @Luv2Vape should give whole nuggets a try. No better way to taste your herbs!

Luv2Vape

I just put a nug in the bowl. I got lots of great flavor, flipped it over and more flavor. The nug was on the moist side, so I just continued to heat it & taste the flavor. After those 3 or 4 loooong draws, I just broke it up a bit and am now getting good thick vapor. I realized, at least with the nug, that I don't need to draw quite as slow as I have been (which is a relief). Flavor is now a bit popcorny, so I may turn the temp down a bit & try it, but I'm satisfied.

Edit: I just did another session to see what's left in the herb. I tuned my FF2 from 'high' to 'medium high' heat, but still felt my heat profile settings might be running hot overall, then adjusted the power tuning from 111% to 100% and I'm getting more satisfying vapor with a long draw. I got 3 huge draws :tup:

Last edited:

Drug

Wow. First hit of this bad boy had me sold. Picked one up today, the jet black one. I'm coming from Mighty vaporizer, It's amazing in vapor quality, but maintenance I found too much of a hassle (admittedly I'm lazy af), also Mighty's form factor is not really for me.

What sparked my interest in FF2 is its ultra fast convection heating, allowing for some laid back toking. This afaik is something no high quality vaporizer has been capable of. I was put off though by the mixed reviews. But since it being treat yo'self friday and all, I took the plunge and it delivers in every aspect. I'm blowing same quality clouds as Mighty since the first toke, the vapor is the softest most tasteful I've ever inhaled.

There's two things though. When the unit is heating, there's a hissing noise. Is it supposed to behave like that? And after fully loading it and using it for one bowl, the light indicator on my FF2 doesn't blink when I put it on the charging unit. Is this a known issue?

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
There's two things though. When the unit is heating, there's a hissing noise. Is it supposed to behave like that?

Some people claim they hear a high-pitched electronic hum when they hold it very close to their ear. (How someone discovered this in the first place boggles my tiny imagination, but....:p) Supposedly it's normal....some of these devices emit RF frequencies. (When I play guitar via wireless headphones, I can turn on my Mighty and hold it near one of the guitar pickups, and it makes this bizarre knocking sound. :hmm:) So I'm not sure if that's what you're hearing. I haven't experienced either hissing or humming myself.

And after fully loading it and using it for one bowl, the light indicator on my FF2 doesn't blink when I put it on the charging unit. Is this a known issue?

It's a known issue that the docks are inconsistent in their behavior. As long as it's actually charging you're obviously fine. (Try swapping batteries and see if that behavior reverts to normal.)

61reissue

Mine makes the electric hiss noise..not an issue. Mine blinks so I am not sure about your second question regarding the light.

61reissue,
Reactions: Drug

Drug

Thanks. I tried to turn my FF2 on but the battery was still empty. I switched batteries and the new one does charge. I'll see how it turns out, the retailer is a reasonable store so I'm not too concerned.

Frosty Trees

I've owned my FF2 for about three months now, and just the other day I started to hear this hissing sound, for the first time! How freaky is that?? :p The sound is noticeable to few inches from the ear.

I even contacted the company in fear that something had gone wrong with the unit, but they reassured me the sound is perfectly normal. After that I also read about it on this the most awesome board, so no worries.. but really freaky still, the sound appearing just like that! :rofl:

Frosty Trees,

toked23

Make sure you all are cleaning your mouthpiece, will definitely hold onto some of the honey and have a negative relationship with your flavor...

toked23,
Reactions: yogoshio

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Definitely need to remember to clean the mouthpiece. I was shocked at how quickly it can collect resin.

It took a few days but man, once the trick is learned, I am getting as big of clouds as my Pax but with clean, delicious vapor, and I can come back to it whenever I want.

Also, this thing with concentrates is amazing. Hands down do not regret my decision in the least bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom