The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Personally I hate the MFLB comparison to the FF2.

If you're going to make that comparison I'd say that the MFLB and the FF2 are both air planes. Both airplanes can get in the sky, and both airplanes can fly sure that's true; but here's the difference between the two:

MFLB:

The great thing about the state of ports is that they are always moving forward. In 2010 the LB was state of the art. If you wanted a non-butane vape the LB was your best choice.

Six years is a long time in this market. The FF2 isn't for everybody and it isn't always perfect. But it's light years ahead of the LB (as are many other current ports) and prices reflect that.

And we had such a positive vibe going here after the new app release...:lol:

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
Have you used either vape? I got the impression you haven't tried either. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If I'm right, your comparisons are based on hearsay. You should try them before reaching such categorical conclusions.

Go back and read this thread. The failure/return rate of the FF2 is less than 1 percent. Let's not spread misinformation, especially when it appears you haven't used either vape.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Sh4dy15

Again, its very suspect to me when users with 1-10 posts come on bashing the FF in any way. Comparing it to the MFLB doesnt make sense and seems like its justifying them not buying it but they are doing it in the wrong place.

Sh4dy15,

HerbieVonVapster

Just downloaded new app. Really nice improvement. Really a better comparison would be FF2 to elevape than the MFLB.

I still consider this more my flavor testing vaporizer. With improved app at least I can now hand to off to a friend and have them get a good hit without 5 mins of explaining how too.

Hey y'all Fireflyer's!

QQ: After you clean your mouthpiece and screen in isosoak or whatever method you use to get it squeaky clean, is the screen a loose fit in the mouthpiece for you? Or does it wedge itself in there and stay put even if you turn it upside down (before installing it back into the FF2)?

My experience has been that after a really good cleaning the screen fits loosely into the mouthpiece and comes out easily, but when I install it back into the FF2 it's all good because that holds it firmly in place anyways.

What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance!

doomsdalicious,

shiner25

Unapproved commercial account.
Personally I hate the MFLB comparison to the FF2.

If you're going to make that comparison I'd say that the MFLB and the FF2 are both air planes. Both airplanes can get in the sky, and both airplanes can fly sure that's true; but here's the difference between the two:

MFLB:
bmHQTDz.jpg

Firefly 2:
A4fzQn0.jpg

I think these comparisons are getting a little tiresome.

It's almost like the childish PC vs MAC commercials ( fanboys of the mac generally make comparisons like that ) and believe me i own a mac and prefer it over a PC but it's no PORSCHE compared to a PC. It has its flaws. And in many ways there are PC's that blow the mac out of the water. Even as an owner I still believe a mac is overpriced ( and again for those who didn't read, yes i own a MAC and would go out tomorrow and buy another if mine broke )

A side note: The developer used to work for APPLE so no wonder its priced the way it is. They knew what Apple was able to get away with and they are using the same marketing, product look and fanboy approach.

It's like someone who buys from Starbucks coffee vs an indie coffee shop. Just because Starbucks coffee has better marketing and is more expensive doesn't mean it is a better cup of coffee.

At the end of the day.....

it comes down to performance. Does it achieve the end goal? ( that being getting medicated, high whatever you want without using more weed than it would with another device? Everything else is meaningless.)

A FF2 is not a iPhone. It is a vape that heats some herb.

Sure its a convection vs conduction vape and that gives it some definite advantages over conduction and sure its nice looking, but again.... that doesn't mean it's better or worth the price.

There are a lot of BMW owners out there driving around with big egos only to see small cars fly past them.

It comes down to performance, and customer support.

Threads on reddit, posts on fireflys facebook page and comments on youtube, as well as other forums have made it clear that firefly's support is dismal. ( Some people have been waiting weeks for a reply to an email ).

The failure/return rate of the FF2 is less than 1 percent.

First off throwing out a stat of 1% without showing where you got it from is meaningless. Unless you are paid firefly rep which would make sense.

Second, the only reason they have a low refund rate is because they don't give refunds. Of course they are going to have a low refund rate if they don't give them. And begin as they don't appear to answer emails from those who need support they aren't going to keep track of failure rate either.

Sorry but it's a fact that the F1 had multiple issues that caused uproar online. F2 has only been out a short while and is it a good sign when already people are wanting to send the damn thing back?

I don't mind shelling out $500 even $1000 on a vape. But if you charge me that you better hope it has no issues or i will track you down and jam it where the sun don't shine along with all your fancy marketing.

And if it has issues that you want me to find because your team was too lazy to find them, then give me one free or put it at a price that justifies the shabby performance.

As for reviews online: Most received them for FREE. Of course they aren't going to complain. If they sent me one for free i doubt i would complain as i could always switch to one of my others.

So making comparisons that FF2 is like a jet plane or a BMW is kind of lame. Something i would expect from iPhone fanboys.

But anyway... jog on.

Last edited:

ElPic

Take my money
Finally receive my tracking number, firefly ship it today, supposed to receive it tuesday.
The "ship within 24hrs" on their website is not true, but thats a pretty fast free shipping!
After reading that threat for weeks, Can't wait to try that Blue FF!

I think these comparisons are getting a little tiresome.

It's almost like the childish PC vs MAC commercials ( fanboys of the mac generally make comparisons like that ) and believe me i own a mac and prefer it over a PC but it's no PORSCHE compared to a PC. It has its flaws. And in many ways there are PC's that blow the mac out of the water. Even as an owner I still believe a mac is overpriced ( and again for those who didn't read, yes i own a MAC and would go out tomorrow and buy another if mine broke )

A side note: The developer used to work for APPLE so no wonder its priced the way it is. They knew what Apple was able to get away with and they are using the same marketing, product look and fanboy approach.

It's like someone who buys from Starbucks coffee vs an indie coffee shop. Just because Starbucks coffee has better marketing and is more expensive doesn't mean it is a better cup of coffee.

At the end of the day.....

it comes down to performance. Does it achieve the end goal? ( that being getting medicated, high whatever you want without using more weed than it would with another device? Everything else is meaningless.)

A FF2 is not a iPhone. It is a vape that heats some herb.

Sure its a convection vs conduction vape and that gives it some definite advantages over conduction and sure its nice looking, but again.... that doesn't mean it's better or worth the price.

There are a lot of BMW owners out there driving around with big egos only to see small cars fly past them.

It comes down to performance, and customer support.

Threads on reddit, posts on fireflys facebook page and comments on youtube, as well as other forums have made it clear that firefly's support is dismal. ( Some people have been waiting weeks for a reply to an email ).

First off throwing out a stat of 1% without showing where you got it from is meaningless. Unless you are paid firefly rep which would make sense.

Second, the only reason they have a low refund rate is because they don't give refunds. Of course they are going to have a low refund rate if they don't give them. And begin as they don't appear to answer emails from those who need support they aren't going to keep track of failure rate either.

Sorry but it's a fact that the F1 had multiple issues that caused uproar online. F2 has only been out a short while and is it a good sign when already people are wanting to send the damn thing back?

I don't mind shelling out $500 even $1000 on a vape. But if you charge me that you better hope it has no issues or i will track you down and jam it where the sun don't shine along with all your fancy marketing.

And if it has issues that you want me to find because your team was too lazy to find them, then give me one free or put it at a price that justifies the shabby performance.

As for reviews online: Most received them for FREE. Of course they aren't going to complain. If they sent me one for free i doubt i would complain as i could always switch to one of my others.

So making comparisons that FF2 is like a jet plane or a BMW is kind of lame. Something i would expect from iPhone fanboys.

But anyway... jog on.
PC vs Mac is a better example of difference of price on FF2 vs MFLB
A big part of the higher price of the Mac is a design and quality of material use vs some PC!

Paper cup coffee vs paper cup coffee is a real bad example for FF2 vs MFLB

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

shiner25

PC vs Mac is a better example of difference of price on FF2 vs MFLB
A big part of the higher price of the Mac is a design and quality of material use vs some PC!

Paper cup coffee vs paper cup coffee is a real bad example for FF2 vs MFLB

I'm not sure I agree completely. I have owned Macs and PCs and never had issues with PC power adapters but have had 4 issues with Mac power adapters crapping out and internal failure.

I prefer Macs over PCs only because i don't run into as many software issues. But when it comes down to actual build. No, for me PC beats the Mac and their parts are 1/3 of the price.

Anyway, will be interested to hear how you get on with your FF2.

shiner25,
Reactions: ElPic

mitchgo61

Hey y'all Fireflyer's!

QQ: After you clean your mouthpiece and screen in isosoak or whatever method you use to get it squeaky clean, is the screen a loose fit in the mouthpiece for you? Or does it wedge itself in there and stay put even if you turn it upside down (before installing it back into the FF2)?

My experience has been that after a really good cleaning the screen fits loosely into the mouthpiece and comes out easily, but when I install it back into the FF2 it's all good because that holds it firmly in place anyways.

What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance!

The screen's width is slightly wider than the opening of the slot into which it seats. So...you should be able to straighten it out, width-wise, to create a slightly wider screen that seats more snugly. (Basically you gotta bend it slightly to get it to fit, so it has a slight curvature...so unbending it a bit will make it more snug, yours is just bent a little too much, probably...).

Does that make sense?

The screen's width is slightly wider than the opening of the slot into which it seats. So...you should be able to straighten it out, width-wise, to create a slightly wider screen that seats more snugly. (Basically you gotta bend it slightly to get it to fit, so it has a slight curvature...so unbending it a bit will make it more snug, yours is just bent a little too much, probably...).

Does that make sense?

Totally! Like I mentioned, once it's installed in the FF2 it's secure anyways, but it's cool to know that I could give it a little bend! I've just noticed that I need to be careful when I pop the mouthpiece out as to not lose the screen.

Thanks for the reply!

doomsdalicious,
Reactions: mitchgo61

VapeKat

:wave:Greetings fellow firefly family and especially mitchgo61!

:rockon:@mitchgo61 I see you are still fighting the good fight sir, and it's still going on, it's like nothing has changed or ever will.:doh:

Anyways, I wanted to drop in and report on the new app and firmware, I switched to concentrates only now that my tolerance has quadrupled with these "teslas of portable vaporizers" (LB, PAX, PAX2, pre-order FF1&2 guy here). I was getting a tad frustrated with how many more hits I have to take to get into my zone now that my FF2 batts are aging, then again, I do use my old FF1 external charger, maybe it has an effect on battery life compared to charging with the FF2 itself. I am a retired Air Force Technician in the field of electronics, communication equipment and mainframe computers, so I master battery charging techniques with all my devices:science:, but I digress.

I must say, this new update is wonderful. :love:

I have not had enough time to test battery life with these new settings, but I don't really care too much. :freak: I've set it to 111% and plan on leaving it there. It's like ludicrous mode on a Tesla Model S P90D! :evil:

Sure I may run out of charge sooner, but it's the experience of dumping so much power and getting such great emotional and physical effects.

But, the technician inside me knows, I am probably gonna have to buy another set of batts soon with all this extra charging. And I will smile happily as I order them. :freak:

flyfishwino

3 questions
1. Are most people using the FF2 for concentrates only, especially now with the update?
2. Has the update improved the use with flowers at all?
3. I've seen mention of the different effects of vaping convection vs, conduction, please explain.
Thx

flyfishwino,

shiner25

3 questions
1. Are most people using the FF2 for concentrates only, especially now with the update?
3. I've seen mention of the different effects of vaping convection vs, conduction, please explain.
Thx

1. People use the FF2 for both. Not sure if the update on the software has helped though some have said it has.
2. Again maybe someone else can chime in on that
3. Conduction heats from the bottom like a burner on a stove. Convection is like an oven where air is passed through the small holes at the bottom, through and around and the material.

:wave:Greetings fellow firefly family and especially mitchgo61!

:rockon:@mitchgo61 I see you are still fighting the good fight sir, and it's still going on, it's like nothing has changed or ever will.:doh:

Anyways, I wanted to drop in and report on the new app and firmware, I switched to concentrates only now that my tolerance has quadrupled with these "teslas of portable vaporizers" (LB, PAX, PAX2, pre-order FF1&2 guy here). I was getting a tad frustrated with how many more hits I have to take to get into my zone now that my FF2 batts are aging, then again, I do use my old FF1 external charger, maybe it has an effect on battery life compared to charging with the FF2 itself. I am a retired Air Force Technician in the field of electronics, communication equipment and mainframe computers, so I master battery charging techniques with all my devices:science:, but I digress.

I have not had enough time to test battery life with these new settings, but I don't really care too much. :freak: I've set it to 111% and plan on leaving it there. It's like ludicrous mode on a Tesla Model S P90D! :evil:

Sure I may run out of charge sooner, but it's the experience of dumping so much power and getting such great emotional and physical effects.

But, the technician inside me knows, I am probably gonna have to buy another set of batts soon with all this extra charging. And I will smile happily as I order them. :freak:

Let me know how much they paid you to post this ROFL ( just kidding )

A side note. If you tolerance has changed. Instead of going up in THC you can always take a break for 3 to 5 days and many times that all that is needed. Sometimes longer for other people. I think back to my days with kratom. You get used to it. it's like anything you have on a regular basis. Taking time away from it allows your body to do a hard reset. The longer the better.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
shiner25,

kcmochris

The only correlation between the MFLB being a Corolla and the FF2 being a BMW is price and look. As it appears when it comes to performance ( which is what matters most ). FF2 is on shaky ground right now with a number of people asking for refunds and filling up reddit threads with issues in the product and with support.

After catching up with the forum having not checked/read it for literally 1 day, here is when I began to wonder why you keep continually bringing reddit into the convo...

Considering the content of those reddit bashings I can see why you might be feeling so negative.

For me, brand new, the silver screen would consistently fall out because of the bending notes @mitchgo61 has pointed out. I noticed that, after awhile, the minimal build-up of resin plus the bend have it pretty set in there.

....again with the reddit...

YouTube and FB (and Reddit) are notorious for trolling and poor taste comments.

Like, what's going on here? And are you gonna buy the unit?

Right now i plan to look at it again in 2017. 2016 is the year for them to work out the kinks.

...Next year...Answered my own question.

However, I really love the reviews that the Firefly 2 is getting
I really love the fact you can do both dry herb and concentrates on this one while the Arizer Air you can't.
I love that this completely contains the smell ( i need to be discrete even though i will have my med license )
I love that this heats up faster
I love that it uses glass and metal and works with a ipod touch ( almost seems as if it was made for the new generation of apple users )
I love that there aren't buttons but touch pads
I love that you can get 15 to 20 second draws ( not sure what Arizer can get )
I don't like the price ( these dudes need to drop it at least to $299 ( above that is just a money grab )
I love the look of it.
I dont like the battery price

When it comes to being portable both seem fine as they both fit in a pocket. But i won't be really going out but i love the option of being able to go out if need be. ( I would love a volcano but way too expensive and not discrete)

What happened to the love...Honestly, those were all great points and hopefully you can see, the good outweighs the bad with this thing.

Very much so.

This thread is bumpin'!

Let's get back to this vibe! :uhoh: :cool: :tup: :nod: :peace:

mitchgo61

In a shocking twist, some things really do last forever. :lol: Exception that proves the rule, I guess. :hmm:

I have not had enough time to test battery life with these new settings, but I don't really care too much. :freak: I've set it to 111% and plan on leaving it there.
Unfortunately the new app doesn't seem to have fixed whatever weirdness occurs with both my batteries, intermittently. Still get long stretches of great battery life, then a few days of barely two sessions before the battery goes red. As others have mentioned it seems to be triggered by the battery sitting idle in the FF for a day or so. It's totally baffling. I don't even bother with the meter anymore...just keep one battery charged in case the one in the FF gives up the ghost.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: ataxian

VapeKat

@shiner25 thank you for being a good sport with my post, yes I do take a week off from time to time to do just that

@mitchgo61 these types of batteries are designed to drain down to 1/4 cap at most and the firefly2 is probably programmed to know this and cries red to keep their condition health and not discharge too much once it realizes you want full throttle. These batteries can't communicate to the firefly2 with such complexities to avoid this, or these would be very expensive batteries.

for whom it may concern, my other battery tips for this style of battery:

Never charge a hot battery, wears down its relevancy sooner.

Don't leave a charged battery in the external charger for too long, same reasons.

These types of batts last many months longer if they hover around 50% charge while not being used, over time they will discharge, so you have to fill them up from time to time, but not to full charge if you are storing them.

Even though the firefly will stop you from discharging too far, it's still never a good idea to keep trying once it cries red, you start to approaching a full discharge, and you can damage the capacity.

Last edited:
VapeKat,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Neuro

I posted last in this forum a long time ago, but I am happy to come back, say hello, and confirm the same discovery: with the firmware update, my FF2 is much more impressive. I only vape flowers and was using med-high setting since I received my Firefly last week. I was happy, but regretted that I had to "pre heat" the FF2 by drawing for at least 5-8s before each "real" (flavourful, vaporful) hit.

I was ok with this pre-heating though, since I knew it was the price to pay for pure convection, but it was my most disliked feature of the device (draw restriction being the second, I was used to Volcano bags, with obviously zero restriction). The Volcano, also pure convection, similarly needs a few seconds or preheating before you lock the bag. I am surprised to read so many posts online of people complaining that their FF2 is actually ... working as intended. Convection is not magic, herbs need a few seconds of preheating (less on the Volcano since it is forced air with a powerful pump).

A possible pure convection unit that could alleviate the issue would be a vape with an over-sized heater capable of pushing air far higher than 420F at first, but only during a few seconds of "turbo pre heating" and then switching to the sustained vaporization temperature during the draw, with then heating modulated by draw speed to maintain herb temperature. Would need a beefy software side for the controller. possibly auto-adaptive to the user. Probably difficult to build, and in danger of combusting the herb if proper temperature regulation is not maintained.

To come back to the FF2, with the update, pre-heating became negligible: 5 seconds in total is now enough to draw dense visible vapor. I set mine to 107 %, not the full 111%. I didnt like the taste at high before the update (burnt/smoky after several consecutive hits at high), so I prefer to stay in between med-high and high (since med high + 111% is practically high).

Last edited:
Anyone else get the app update email this morning (depending on your timezone)?

My brain melted when I read this sentence:

"Your Firefly2 is smarter and more advanced than you might imagine. The heating algorithm responds directly to the speed and power of your breath, regulating the power output for each and every draw to maintain the appropriate temperature. The power tuning feature universally increases (or decreases) the power and temperature level of the device, bringing the heating profiles up and down with it."

Are they saying that you don't just take the temperature and multiple by the percentage increases/decreases (as some have pointed out by listing out all of the calculated temps), but instead it somehow counterbalances if you are a hard puller or a slow puller? For example, if I pull hard, then I can power tune so that when I pull hard it will kick the heater up way hotter vs. the standard 100% to counterbalance the loss of heat from the hard pull (which plagues a lot of vapes)? If it were the former, why wouldn't they just make it like the Mighty/Crafty and let you set the temps instead of power tuning? For this reason alone, and based on the way they word the paragraph, I think it's more than just the former. I hope I am making sense here... Can anyone smarter than me make sense of it?

Here is the full email in case you all didn't see it. For me it showed up in my junk mail:

hJ1mjAzlHryiSSi7jVbYbCjMPuVtm-90JiwHFpVTWY1CzyNruYtof-31bHQeSvT19_dghcSqZlGYP2ZECgRinTG-FamP1A_uIhly9dLfEKcbXz4=s0-d-e1-ft

steve514

Good morning
Please could someone tell me how to register the new firefly 2 as I can't see how or where it can be done
Kind regards

steve514,

YungLeaner

If
Anyone else get the app update email this morning (depending on your timezone)?

My brain melted when I read this sentence:

"Your Firefly2 is smarter and more advanced than you might imagine. The heating algorithm responds directly to the speed and power of your breath, regulating the power output for each and every draw to maintain the appropriate temperature. The power tuning feature universally increases (or decreases) the power and temperature level of the device, bringing the heating profiles up and down with it."

Are they saying that you don't just take the temperature and multiple by the percentage increases/decreases (as some have pointed out by listing out all of the calculated temps), but instead it somehow counterbalances if you are a hard puller or a slow puller? For example, if I pull hard, then I can power tune so that when I pull hard it will kick the heater up way hotter vs. the standard 100% to counterbalance the loss of heat from the hard pull (which plagues a lot of vapes)? If it were the former, why wouldn't they just make it like the Mighty/Crafty and let you set the temps instead of power tuning? For this reason alone, and based on the way they word the paragraph, I think it's more than just the former. I hope I am making sense here... Can anyone smarter than me make sense of it?

Here is the full email in case you all didn't see it. For me it showed up in my junk mail:

hJ1mjAzlHryiSSi7jVbYbCjMPuVtm-90JiwHFpVTWY1CzyNruYtof-31bHQeSvT19_dghcSqZlGYP2ZECgRinTG-FamP1A_uIhly9dLfEKcbXz4=s0-d-e1-ft
it makes a lot of sense that the FF2 is kicking ass now if it responds to pull speed. That's what makes the Herbalizer awesome.

mitchgo61

it makes a lot of sense that the FF2 is kicking ass now if it responds to pull speed. That's what makes the Herbalizer awesome.
That seems to imply directly that the FF has always responded to draw speed with heat variances, and that the PT feature just raises or lowers the existing heat profile for more fine-tuning. I don't think the basic functionality of the heat cycle has been altered for this new PT feature...we just have a lot more heat profiles to choose from now.

I'll see if I can get some confirmation on this...be nice to know for sure.

malsanti

For me, as long as it is not too coarse, it responds to draws very well to draws, without any power tuning. Even on low.

The thing is, you don't have to make it coarse if you pack it the right amount. The main thing about the FF2 is you need that resistance. That's how you know it's working, and well packed.

If you immediately get not much resistance, thats how you know you messed up, either not enough, or not coarse enough. But the point of the stirring is to move some of the unvapped greens around and also to crush the bud further, because the FF2 won't completely vape it all if you its very coarse, and needs to be further broken down.

So as long as you achieve the same resistance, you can do a slightly finner grind. You get much bigger clouds, and without having to power tune. Power tuning does really help though. I don't know why. I assume its mostly just it makes it much more convenient, and greater finess to adjust the temp settings. But a well packed FF2 is a boss.

But Fine tuning does make it more into beast when you need it to too, and that is awesome. It might just be a fancy marketing term, but I think it improves the FF2 and the experience, you can essentially make hit more like one of the cloudier vapes now if you want.

malsanti,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom