The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroZure

@CroZure - you've just inspired me to do the same with my FF2. Thanks!

edit: HOLY SHIT THANK YOU. I think i'd overpacked concentrate a few too many times, it hits insane now! Like I'm getting hits on med high that i'd typically only expect on high.

No problem. Glad to share what worked for me. I also clean mine every time. I can only imagine how much gunk builds up if you go a long time without cleaning the bowl.

Last edited:
CroZure,

Icon13

Serial Vapist
I just got here, so I don't know your history with the unit, but the only slightly dissatisfying bowls I have had are with my worst herbs. And even those were good... just really exposed my herbs.

I gotta think your unit is bad, as I have had nothing but tasty bowl after tasty bowl all weekend.

Not an issue. Various very high quality material from my club. Not a single impressive puff.

...anybody who is in s.f. and seriously wants to meet or talk...pm me...I'm retired ...I'm sure we can work something out...I do not perceive this as a "challenge"..for me this stuff is fun...the moment it stops being fun...I'm somewhere else...

Ha. I don't see this as a competition or challenge either. I just had a very bad experience with the FF2, sent it in and all they did was send it back. I am very curious if it was just that particular device or if it is just a mediocre device to begin with. I live in the East Bay but I'm very busy this week, I will message you next week and perhaps we can arrange something...

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I am very curious if it was just that particular device or if it is just a mediocre device to begin with.

Definitely not that! It's a fine device right out of the box for me.

just to be clear...I wan't calling your herbs into question, just mentioning that my lower quality stuff gets exposed in this device!

stickstones,

Musicslv

First impression, first session. After owning and mostly loving my FF1, the FF2 came out of the box feeling like cheap plastic. That will take some time to getting used to... But it charged up quickly, I was even able to use the external battery charger from my FF1 to charge my extra battery (I called them and asked if it would work) Then I got the App and paired up the FF, it's straight forward and simple to use so I played around with the settings till I knew what I was doing. Then it was time for the real test, I set the temp on Med and it works perfect, I may crank it up a notch just to see what happens but really? using the FF1 sometimes I would get some over toasted loads, I don't think that will happen with the FF2 and the temp set on Med. And the taste is so sweet! The touch sensor buttons and lighter weight are a huge improvement, the device still feels kind of awkward to use. I'm lovin it.

Vapinmofo

So I have been using my FireFly 2 for a few months now.
There is no doubt that the FireFly2 needs a BreakIn period.
Both for the device and the user.

On the user end
I guess I am a pussy because I like Lower Temps when I vaporize.
My lungs can not handle harsh or HOT.
So on medium LOW I load a medium grind so that it would overflow the bowl.
I pile the herbs up so its a little pile all within the bowl area.
then I carefully put the top half on letting the glass slightly compress the herbs.
The airflow (such as it is) is perfect and herbs don't escape and flow into the mouth peice herb filter.

OK airflow. My lungs are not the best so working the Firerfly 2 can take a bit of work.
Anyway once I load I engage the heater... wait for a solid green then I suck as SLOOOOOWLY as I can. Often it takes so long that the green light will go out... so I will release the sensor for a 1/10 of a second
and then I re engage the heater which is instant. amounting to longer heating for my long slow draw.

So the way I look at it..
the crafty is like smoking (Vaping) a Joint.
the Firefly 2 is more like hitting a one hitter.
Why?
Well One of the most UNFORTUNATE features of the FireFly 2 is the Herb Materials require stirring.

Thats a bummer.

The first long hit is absolutly the best for flavor and effect. For me I know if It tastes great then I will get good effect.

Clouds? I would not call what I get out of the thing "clouds" yes I get vapor on the exhale.

Firefly 2 is great for the Patient user. if you rush you will fail.
Firefly2 has the potential to deliver great flavor and effect depending on the quality of your herbs.

The battery cover is way more flimsy than it should be for a $300 device.

On my unit (which lives on the charger) If I don't use it for more than a few days... when I go to use it it becomes unresponsive. I am forced to reset the device by removing and then replacing the battery.
then it works perfectly.

If you like Concentrates then get a firefly2. the high setting and a concentrate pad gives pure flavor and great effect,,,, again depending on the quality of your herbs.

Its easy to clean. I bought an expresso cleaning brush and use it to clean the Bowl to perfection every time.

so the bottom line here is get a firefly2 if you want to.
Be patient with it and yourself.
have fun.
Use the best herbs you can find.

Vapinmofo

BabaRobDass

Bottom line is if you are not getting nice, thick, dense vapor clouds the machine is not doing a good job. Even for a convection vape.

Always with the cloud talkers. Dem's the real kool-aid drinkers, my man. Yeh, it's cool feedback when you're medicating, and the Fly can produce clouds, but it's not the end all be all to determine quality of a unit.

To be fair though, is this Dawsonator a table top and what temp do you tend to set it on?

Lemme guess " all the way up to 11..." :science::leaf:

blue80217

blue80217
Definitely not that! It's a fine device right out of the box for me.

just to be clear...I wan't calling your herbs into question, just mentioning that my lower quality stuff gets exposed in this device!

I have a firefly 2 and there is definitely something wrong with the mouthpiece I' get one good hit and then nothing comes out it's too hard to breathe and then I get too much air and no smoke I can't even get any smoke out and I've tried taking the mouthpiece out several times and the same thing happens so after 3 weeks of trying I'm now sending it back so we'll see what happens I really like it I just hope that it can work I think I have a lemon

Did you receive a 3rd unit? I am very interested in your update as chemical smell or taste is a major concern. Really hopping that they fixed their materials and process.

Can anyone from a recent order batch comment on their experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
blue80217,

greenextinguisher

I know some some people have stressed concerns about the recommended hole-cleaning procedure of using compressed air due to additives. I just want to toss out another recommendation since photographers have concerns with getting the additives on their camera sensors. The Giotto Rocket:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details

It works really well for this purposes and even if you don't have health concerns, its not much more expensive than a can of air while being much quieter and usable for multiple years. I replaced canned air with a rocket + a battery powered "blower" years ago.

SORRY MODS. I messed up and accidentally hit reply rather than edit on my previous post. This was supposed to be the edit:

I have a firefly 2 and there is definitely something wrong with the mouthpiece I' get one good hit and then nothing comes out it's too hard to breathe and then I get too much air and no smoke I can't even get any smoke out and I've tried taking the mouthpiece out several times and the same thing happens so after 3 weeks of trying I'm now sending it back so we'll see what happens I really like it I just hope that it can work I think I have a lemon

The mouthpiece is a removable and simple component. Have you taken it out and seen if something is stuck or malformed? Is the screen seated properly? Have you tried removing the screen for a session?

kcmochris

I know some some people have stressed concerns about the recommended hole-cleaning procedure of using compressed air due to additives. I just want to toss out another recommendation since photographers have concerns with getting the additives on their camera sensors. The Giotto Rocket:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=259157&gclid=CND0kfX2ts4CFVBbhgod9AgMLA&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details

It works really well for this purposes and even if you don't have health concerns, its not much more expensive than a can of air while being much quieter and usable for multiple years. I replaced canned air with a rocket + a battery powered "blower" years ago.

And on the protective layer of coating on the front of the lens. I work in film production and this is exactly what I use as well! Endless supply of pure, fast air at user's discretion.

blue80217

blue80217
SORRY MODS. I messed up and accidentally hit reply rather than edit on my previous post. This was supposed to be the edit:

The mouthpiece is a removable and simple component. Have you taken it out and seen if something is stuck or malformed? Is the screen seated properly? Have you tried removing the screen for a session?

Yes I have tryed everything,I have a pax2,I have the accent,V2,I no how to vap but I no without a doubt that something is wrong with the Firefly I will return it and let's see what happens I love it though if I could get it to work no matter how I push the mouthpiece and I can't breathe out of it I can't push the air through it and then sometimes I get too much air and nothing comes out no smoke,Thank you so much for all your help,I will let you no as soon as I get it back,Mary

That is the same thing that happens to me,I get a kamik some kind of a chemical taste and then no vapor there is some of them I think they're defective maybe they push too hard to get them out some people love it I've heard numerous complaints about the same problem

blue80217,

greenextinguisher

That is the same thing that happens to me,I get a kamik some kind of a chemical taste and then no vapor there is some of them I think they're defective maybe they push too hard to get them out some people love it I've heard numerous complaints about the same problem

Bad chemical taste would freak me out. I'd definitely send it back. You should get nothing but some of the cleanest tasting vapor available. We shouldn't expect that they are producing 100% flawless units. There are bound to be some duds.

greenextinguisher,
Reactions: blue80217

Amplifix

Just got my FF2 preorder from @VapoShop. Downloaded the app and connected it to my phone, now it's in the charger. Gonna take it for a spin later this evening =)

Amplifix,
Reactions: Kermitt

blue80217

blue80217
That sounds like a warranty claim to me. I'd contact ff before messing around with repairs.
Samething happen to me,I am not going to put alcohol Army on the glass part from now on,Thank for your post

I love it. I have three new types of vape this year (FF2, GH and Crafty) and have been a long time volcano user. I need some more time with each to see how things shake out but the FF2 may be my favorite overall. The FF2 + Crafty, in particular, really compliment each other. It would be an epic battle between them, if I had to choose only one vape. The only downside I see after months of use is the unevenness to the extraction which requires annoying stirring. Otherwise, the FF2 provides the most enjoyable vaping experience I've had to date--even with no further firmware updates and even if I couldn't access the mobile app and had to use it stock, med-high.

I'm getting the impression from a few cases here that they are either overloaded or generally lacking in the customer support department. That sucks and I won't make any excuses for them. They need to resolve it and hopefully they will when they catch up on orders. Compared to the crafty and GH, the rate of complaints and failure seems incredibly low for the FF2. (For comparisons sake only. I realize that's neither saying much nor justification for anything.)

edit: great to hear @b0
I love it. I have three new types of vape this year (FF2, GH and Crafty) and have been a long time volcano user. I need some more time with each to see how things shake out but the FF2 may be my favorite overall. The FF2 + Crafty, in particular, really compliment each other. It would be an epic battle between them, if I had to choose only one vape. The only downside I see after months of use is the unevenness to the extraction which requires annoying stirring. Otherwise, the FF2 provides the most enjoyable vaping experience I've had to date--even with no further firmware updates and even if I couldn't access the mobile app and had to use it stock, med-high.

I'm getting the impression from a few cases here that they are either overloaded or generally lacking in the customer support department. That sucks and I won't make any excuses for them. They need to resolve it and hopefully they will when they catch up on orders. Compared to the crafty and GH, the rate of complaints and failure seems incredibly low for the FF2. (For comparisons sake only. I realize that's neither saying much nor justification for anything.)

Samething happen to me,I am not going to put alcohol Army on the glass part from now on,Thank for your post

blue80217,

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
If your a person who is extremely sensitive to chemical tastes and smells I can see that person tasting the components of the Firefly2. There is no complete isolation fom the circuitry. Also air is pulled right over the (not containing any lead I hope) solder that attaches the coil to it's contacts. Which is, to those interested, 1.7 ohms by the way. And as an electronics enthusiast I can definitely pickup the taste and smell of the components every so often. Mostly when the unit is hot and i'm taking an LSD.
IMO it's kind of a disappointment when you consider the hype of 'clean pure vapor' surrounding this product.

Elac,
Reactions: Vigor

greenextinguisher

If your a person who is extremely sensitive to chemical tastes and smells I can see that person tasting the components of the Firefly2. There is no complete isolation fom the circuitry. Also air is pulled right over the (not containing any lead I hope) solder that attaches the coil to it's contacts. Which is, to those interested, 1.7 ohms by the way. And as an electronics enthusiast I can definitely pickup the taste and smell of the components every so often. Mostly when the unit is hot and i'm taking an LSD.
IMO it's kind of a disappointment when you consider the hype of 'clean pure vapor' surrounding this product.

You've described me exactly. I'm an electronics enthusiast that builds computer and stereo equipment, I have a crazy sense of taste and smell and am a little hypersensitive. I had a very slight new vape smell/taste early on when I hit before putting any material in. It was nothing compared to say a crafty, but it was there. Its gone now.

Doesn't really matter if its isolated or not. If you get a vape with electrical components hot enough, you will smell that stuff. If this is a concern for you at all, its probably best to get a more simple vape.

Did you take apart your FF2? Would you care to supply photos of solder in the vapor path?

edit: is that a T-6? mysteriously missing from my desk kit. I'll have to check storage.

Last edited:
greenextinguisher,

flyfishwino

So I've been following all the most recent posts and pagesee.
I'm on the fence between the Crafty and the FF2.
Here's what I need:
A vape for flowers, specifically, that I can take anywhere and share with my friends at festivals, concerts, etc. And also works great at home to share with the Mrs. I use pens for concentrates and perfectly happy with using/ carrying both.
Both of these appear to be it. But like the idea of an extra battery with the FF2, something the crafty doesn't offer.
Thoughts?

Amplifix

Back with some first test results. Straight out the box it smelled a bit chemical or "new". It reminds me of a new pc smell.

So to get rid of the smell I switched it to concentrate and turned it on. Meanwhile I was reading the online manual and watching the vapecritic firefly 2 instructions.

Filled it with rosemary to test it, first few pulls I didn't get any vapor. Adjusted my pulling speed and by the 5th draw I had nice clouds. I'd say the technique is really easy to get down with some patience.

First impressions: Really superb taste, definitely better than my pax2.

Gonna try some mary jane roses later.

Mr. Me2

So I've been following all the most recent posts and pagesee.
I'm on the fence between the Crafty and the FF2.
Here's what I need:
A vape for flowers, specifically, that I can take anywhere and share with my friends at festivals, concerts, etc. And also works great at home to share with the Mrs. I use pens for concentrates and perfectly happy with using/ carrying both.
Both of these appear to be it. But like the idea of an extra battery with the FF2, something the crafty doesn't offer.
Thoughts?
Crafty (and likely even better, the Mighty) seems better suited for you. It is much more a session vape, and I believe better for sharing than the ff2.

If you prefer pure convection, you may want to think about getting 2 grasshoppers instead. That way you and your wife can each have one and enjoy pure convection that doesn't require the pace of a session vape.

MinnBobber

A vape for flowers, specifically, that I can take anywhere and share with my friends at festivals, concerts, etc. And also works great at home to share with the Mrs
To share with friends swings it over to FF2. The Crafty battery life is not the greatest and the FF2 with removable/ extras will be better. IF you are ok with stirring the FF2 after every couple hits.

If you can handle the size, the Mighty might be a better option as it has much better battery life and is better for groups. It will not fit in snug jeans pocket but in a jacket pocket or backpack. It's not huge, just not stealth sized.

Kermitt

Just got my FF2 preorder from @VapoShop. Downloaded the app and connected it to my phone, now it's in the charger. Gonna take it for a spin later this evening =)
I'm still waiting. I hope my FF2 comes tomorrow. The tracking number from Vaposhop don't give my any information. I think they sent me a wrong trackingnumber :-(

My order was sent this morning. May I ask when did Vaposhop sent your Order and where do you live?

Last edited:
Kermitt,

Amplifix

I'm still waiting. I hope my FF2 comes tomorrow. The tracking number from Vaposhop don't give my any information. I think they sent me a wrong trackingnumber :-(

My order was sent this morning. May I ask when did Vaposhop sent your Order and where do you live?

I live in the Netherlands, so orders usually come in within a day. Got a mail at 06:27 saying that my order was shipped, got it the same day at around 17:30.

Last edited:
Amplifix,
Reactions: Kermitt

greenextinguisher

To share with friends swings it over to FF2. The Crafty battery life is not the greatest and the FF2 with removable/ extras will be better. IF you are ok with stirring the FF2 after every couple hits.

If you can handle the size, the Mighty might be a better option as it has much better battery life and is better for groups. It will not fit in snug jeans pocket but in a jacket pocket or backpack. It's not huge, just not stealth sized.

I'm probably a one-percenter in the list of FF2 users sorted by fanboyism.

The swappable batteries is a good point. I only disagree with you because of what has been demonstrated in this thread. Some people don't get or connect with the FF2. In a group of friends, he may have a few of those. "This thing doesn't get me high" said no one ever about the crafty. Separately, I find that the FF2 takes a little more thought to operate than a crafty. (but, I like thinking, sometimes) I said in the crafty thread that the crafty is my "doing things" vape. (yes, a little OV marketing there) Don't stop what you are doing, just press button, wait, hit. No explanation necessary.

If you and your friends are going to regularly 3-bowl the Crafty in one session, then you should absolutely get the mighty.

....ghost train haze...firefly2...tasty shit...for a tough day..

holy fuck, you are on some next-level shit.

greenextinguisher,
Reactions: turk

Kermitt

I live in the Netherlands, so orders usually come in within a day. Got a mail at 06:27 saying that my order was shipped, got it the same day at around 17:30.
This sounds good. Then i have a chance to get the FF2 tomorrow. Germany isn't far away :-)

This weekend I'm in Groningen with friends. It would be nice to travel with the FF2.

Kermitt,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom