The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiponce

Hello everyone, new here, first post, I just wanted to say that I was debating if I was going to get a firefly 2 for a few days, did my research, I have read all pages on this thread and I can say that I am not convinced.

Thank god there are people like @Baron23 who see things as they are. @mitchgo61 I really like your profile picture, Pink Floyd ftw, man it is pretty clear for whoever reads all pages of this thread that you have insider information since the beginning. Why not be an official PR/community manager for the company, you are doing an amazing job at giving previews, infos, sneak peaks?

Now OK guys, this unit does *not* seem reliable and scared me away towards a safer option Arizer. I think that the reliability of the unit is a major factor in deciding to buy high-end instruments in general, be it lighters, knives or computers.

When people say that they are not getting vapor, it is not helping anyone to post a video of yourself getting vapor. If I tell you that my car's AC is not working when I push the button, it is of no help at all to show 10 videos of people pushing a button and the button lighting.

Also, about the return policy, perhaps it is because I'm living in Europe and i'm just spoiled, but I don't think opening the package should qualify as a non-return reason? What is this? Here you can just buy a product, if you don't use it you can go back a week later or up to two weeks later and many places will just accept a "I am not satisfied" with no more hassle/explanation.

How do you think a potential buyer (such as I) feels about losing his right not to be satisfied as soon as he opens the superficial plastic wrapper of the box? Well, enough not to want to take the risk, unfortunately.

I am not here to badmouth, I hope that I am giving constructive feedback, in the end im not getting anything out of this and I made this forum account on purpose to give this unbiased opinion.

The packaging looks like that of an Apple product, which is neat, the pricing is also up there towards high-end with accessories and stuff definitely towards premium pricing. I'm all good with this, but the product has to be on the same level; some factors such as:
- Electronic/battery parts not totally sealed from air path
- Battery indicator not working
- Inconsistent quality -> Some people get buzzing noises, then they don't, some people get them, some don't, some people get smelly lids, some don't, some people get amazing vapor, some don't

I mean who wants to take a gamble on a 330USD device?

Oh yeah, did I mention you can no longer return it as soon as you open the box?

I gladly buy iPhones and iPads for years, damn if I ever paid 700 or 800USD on these devices if i had to be making sealing tests with tape like a few posts above this or pressing the lid to get the battery work longer.

This is not a premium experience, and I think this will be my final word about it.

I think it all comes to that in the end, yes it looks like an iPhone in every aspect but once i bought a Macbook Pro at an Apple Store, the plastic part between the body and the screen was moving around, i took it back to the store, the employee recognised the problem RIGHT AWAY and offered to replace it, he brought a replacement and filled in all the docs.

I opened it in front of him, the second unit was also defective. He said no problem, he called the shop's local manager who told me that this batch was probably defective, at no point did he deny my issue which made me feel good about it. He then offered me (as i was traveling soon) to get a new unit at my destination whenever i felt like it or to try a third and last unit there at the shop.

Now THAT is why you can pay 2700USD for a laptop also because it works almost flawlessly.

It's not the packaging or marketing campaign that are, nonetheless, very successful and very well designed.

If people don't get a premium *experience* they will not be attracted by the product.

So I get the Arizer Air, even if i preferred on demand vaporising, even if you were to tell me that the vape was only half as good as the Firefly 2, for the sole factor that I can buy and feel safe/secure about my purchase and future experience with it, I will take a reliable unit over the *new* *flash* factor.

So cheers all, I have read you all, all participants of this thread so I know you all a bit but you don't know me at all, I guess. Nice to meet y'all, peace.

Santiponce,

jezmund

I do get medicated, but not as medicated as well as I do with the enano. I have enano dialed in to a science. With enano it takes me .020g. With FF2 it takes more. I can't judge exactly how much as I can't put .020 in the FF2 and expect it to work similarly. Even if it takes twice as much in FF2 I'm ok with that as we're talking very small amounts here. But if I pack .12 in the FF2 I seem to get 3 sessions on it with the third maybe not being as strong.

The mouthpiece seems to be clicked in and seated. And it's possible when all the vents are opened (no tape), then not much air comes in that way. I'll do some more experiments with not using the mouthpiece at all and report back.

jezmund,

BabaRobDass

I do get medicated, but not as medicated as well as I do with the enano. I have enano dialed in to a science. With enano it takes me .020g. With FF2 it takes more. I can't judge exactly how much as I can't put .020 in the FF2 and expect it to work similarly. Even if it takes twice as much in FF2 I'm ok with that as we're talking very small amounts here. But if I pack .12 in the FF2 I seem to get 3 sessions on it with the third maybe not being as strong.

The mouthpiece seems to be clicked in and seated. And it's possible when all the vents are opened (no tape), then not much air comes in that way. I'll do some more experiments with not using the mouthpiece at all and report back.

The great thing about the Fly is that, once you've packed it up properly, you can leave some of it for later if you're used to only using 0.02g as in the enano you have. I'd be willing to bet you're getting at least as many rips if not more from the FF2. It's so efficient

jezmund

I find the Firefly to be a VERY unique vape when compared to other vapes and I agree the high is different. I find the effects can be quite different going from vape to vape. So, if the vape functions well and has a strong personality I usually have a place for it in my collection. From my perspective the FF2 is a connoisseurial vape from one end to the other. I love the damn thing.

That said, could I get by with the Firefly 2 being my only vape? Hell no. The FF2 is good for what it is but no vape can scratch all my itches. That is asking way too much of any vape imo.

I appreciate that perspective.

jezmund,
Reactions: steama

Mango

Did anyone call recently to check the time til they ship? We are getting real close to the end of June.

Mango,

greenextinguisher

Yep, I had thought of that but didn't want to impugn the guy's character. With some videos from some folks I dang well know what they show is cannabis vapor...others, I sometimes wonder.

Someone mentioned lighting, but this guy was lit face on without a dark background so I really don't think this was a lighting trick.

Anyway, I don't have an FF2 but have been watching this thread for a while and, as I have often said, I really want the FF2 to be a great, dependable, success as I would like to have one.

I don't think it impugns his character to state that is very likely tobacco he used for that pull. That's primarily what they've used in past videos and I wouldn't blame a person operating a business in this country to avoid filming himself doing something illegal in the eyes of the federal government.

It doesn't look like flower vapor that I've ever seen. While I don't struggle with clouds at all on the FF2, it isn't THAT easy. I'd get something close to that on a 30-second first hit.

@Santiponce - I get your concerns. I do think that people with issues are heavily represented here and you have a good shot at getting a solid product, if you order. That being said, the improvised "its cosmetic" and then "its an accessory" BS qualifications from a page or two ago are totally unacceptable and would have had me rethinking my purchase, if I had not already made one. The FF2 is a very cool vape that performs and I don't know of any portables that are totally rock solid on reliability. Please let me know if you find one! (vapcap?) I'm pretty sure my grandchildren will be getting my volcano.

greenextinguisher,

Baron23

I don't think it impugns his character to state that is very likely tobacco he used for that pull. That's primarily what they've used in past videos and I wouldn't blame a person operating a business in this country to avoid filming himself doing something illegal in the eyes of the federal government.

Sorry, but I think that's nonsense. EVERYBODY knows what this vape is intended for. Any vape video that shows outstanding vapor from their product, as in this one, intends to convey that this is cannabis. Further, this video clearly gives the impression that the cloud he got was from his first hit.

I said I didn't want to impugn the man's character and that's where I'm leaving it.

This really is a rather prickly thread, ain't it.

By the by, I don't know Santiponce and had nothing to do with his post. :-)

toecutter

Man, I might start a thread (if there isn't one already) on just the chemical taste issue.

Mine had a strong chemical flavor from the get-go. This is despite doing a few 'burn ins' on concentrate level, cleaning with alcohol, using with different strains, and w/o anything loaded at all. I would say it is akin to uncured acrylic resin, or perhaps a urethane (I'm an artist and have worked with both). One could also say it's rather like taking a hit through a brand new laptop. Against my better judgement, I continued to use the FF2. Eventually, I only tasted it at the end of the herb's viability, on the high setting. I have used it over a dozen times and still taste the chemical. The final straw was last Friday, when friends used it and said, they too tasted it. I had not mentioned the taste to them prior and they were not otherwise versed on the FF2.

I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the gasket on the inside of the lid. I assume it is glued in. I would think it would have behooved them to somehow mechanically retain the gasket and avoid adhesives all together. Perhaps the adhesive or the rubber it's self never fully cured, or just by it's nature out-gasses.

So, yesterday I called Firefly and spoke to a technical support rep (name redacted). Initially his response was that the FF2 was made with food safe, non-toxic materials that are devoid of BPA, etc. He repeated this throughout the call. He also repeatedly stated that this is the first he has heard of a chemical taste issue. I suggested this was a warranty situation, to which he replied that it was not. He stated that due to sanitary reasons their techs would not be able to test the unit to detect the taste. He told me to continue to use the FF2 and the taste should go away. At this point I got pissed. Restrained, but clearly pissed. I asked him if he was suggesting that I continue to use a device that is clearly conveying some chemical into my body, until it is no longer? I told him that I spent $230 on a product that claims to be safe and free of chemicals. I asked what he thought my endgame was; that I was trying to scam Firefly?? I cannot imagine a better reason to return the product, than it tasting like plastic!! At this point he put me on hold to talk to his 'supervisor'. In the end he said that he would send me an email instructing me on how to return for warranty inspection. However, he said that it was unlikely to fall under the warranty as again, due to sanitary reasons, the techs would not be able to personally test the unit. Shipping both ways will be my responsibility. I thanked him and ended the call, unsatisfied. Unsatisfied by the answer as well as the repetitive and robotic nature of the rep.

I am annoyed. I'm annoyed as hell. At this point, I don't know whether to ship the FF2 back or not. The rep claimed my issue was unheard of. I told him otherwise, that I have heard a number of mentions here on FC. It sounds to me like they are well aware of the issue and have a blanket policy of denial.

I can say this; I will NEVER recommend a Firefly product. Never. I might as well go back to combustion. At least then I know what shit is going into my body.

Again, I'm inclined to think the issue is stemming from the rubber gasket in the lid. Unless I'm mistaken it is glued in and I am not aware (again perhaps mistaken) of any modern/strong/long-lasting adhesive that doesn't contain chemistry that I don't want conveyed into my lungs/bloodstream/kidneys. Frankly, I wonder what the gasket itself is made of. I would hope silicon, as it is the least reactive of synthetic rubber. Either way, to not have mechanically secured the gasket was, IMO a mistake and creates a fatal flaw within their "no harmful materials used" tag-line.

Grumble, grumble...

So for those who have been following my story of my FF2.

The story so far is that I can taste / smell a chemical on a brand new unit when toked without any herbs in it. I called FF about it.

I told them the story, that I have not yet used it with any type of herbs, but there was a strong chemical taste coming out of when when used with no herbs.

The representative said that was "definitely normal".

He went on to say there were "manufacturing oils" that had to be burned off.

He said that after I use it a bit with an herbal product, then the smell taste will go away.

I said, why doesn't it go away with me just taking empty tokes?

He repeated that it goes away only after you use it with the herbal product.

I said I would like to swap it for another unit. I don't feel safe breathing in the chemical smell, as this is not living up to its claims of "delicious".

He said they do not warranty for smells, and repeated number of times that a smell does not constitute a valid reason for a warranty claim. He said that if I mailed it back to them, they would therefore just send me the same unit back to me stating it is working as expected. I was not authorized to mail it back them.

He repeated the phrase "manufacturing oils" many times throughout the conversation. He basically kept repeating that I needed to use it many times and then all would be good. I would no longer smell anything.

I don't him I didn't want to risk my lungs breathing this chemical that might merely be masked hoping it is gone and repeated to him that I wanted a replacement unit.

He repeated that it is normal for their to be the manufacturing oils and they do not allow a return for smell.

I said that the unit is brand new, unused with any herbs, all other parts are still sealed in the box, please take my return.

He said that cannot take any returns once the box is opened. I said that I thought that was silly since I could always do a chargeback on the credit card, wouldn't it be easier to just allow me to return it?

He said he couldn't because their policy is that smells/taste is not deemed a manufacturing defect and that there is nothing at all wrong with my unit based on my description.

I asked him what if the smell did not go away after I used it? He said that it would go away.

I asked if he or anyone at FF that he knew of, has ever taken a FF2 whose smell has since disappeared, and then cleaned it with ISO so it is like brand new, and then took a toke from it on Med-High or Concentrate mode with the bowl empty, to see if the smell is truly gone.

He said no, neither he nor no one he knows has done that. I asked if it would still be possible for their to be a smell after I used it and cleaned it and used it without any herb again. He said yes, that I may still smell the "manufacturing oils" if smoked without and herbs.

So basically it sounds like once you buy a FF2 and break the seal on the box, it is ineligible for returns. And since they don't warranty for smell, even if I were to use it as they instructed and still smelled something after it's been used. , I didn't get any good feeling that it would be considered broken and eligible for a warranty return.

Basically, the rep was trying very hard to get me to use it stating that all would be OK thereafter.

And therein lies the rub. I have no doubt I will like the instant on/off conduction, the extremely good vapor taste I keep hearing about. And indeed I may not even notice the smell when filled with herb. But I don't want to take the chance I, which I think is the most likely, that I am merely masking it.

I am not sure what my next step will be.

These are selling briskly right now, so I might even make a little on the resale.

@mitchgo61 I think I have decided not to mail it out to anyone to further test but thanks for the offer. That does not really help me as much as I was thinking. If someone was willing to send me theirs to test I would pay for both shippings. That would be my next choice for testing. I was quite disappointed in how FF handled my call.

Mod note: post edited to remove portion breaking forum rules.

toecutter,
Reactions: djchexxx

Santiponce

@greenextinguisher In my humble opinion, this is presented as a premium product, the analogy with the iPhone never gets old, I don't care that it costs 329USD or even 429USD, premium is premium, I would even be willing to pay 529USD for this vaporizer, I don't care, when you go for the Mighty/Firefly2/PAX2 you are going for the BEST (portable) experience possible which means that your number one criteria for selection is certainly not price.

All of this to say that when you say; "and you have a good shot at getting a solid product, if you order."

A good shot? I don't want any shots, this is 329USD, and I wouldn't mind paying even 429USD but not for a "good shot" at getting something flawless. I wanted to have a 100% chance of getting something flawless and, if it is not possible realistically from the get-go, I want to be certain that the follow-up process is going to be on par with a premium experience, read smooth, painless.

Want an idea? Why not offer a 99USD "Firefly Care Plan" for 3 years, but then it's;
"Hello my unit is not working."
-"Yes, sir, please send it right away, we will repair it or replace it free of charge, we are sorry for the inconvenience."

No weird talk of;
-You have to grind like this or like that
-You have to close the lid so that it is sealed
-You have to take X seconds puffs until you turn blue out of air

If someone tells you that his unit is malfunctioning in the first place, you have to assume that this person knows how to close a rectangular piece of glass over another similarly-shaped and sized rectangular piece of glass.

They are not selling to monkeys, most of the people buying from them are using a computer and the internet at the very least, and most likely have already analyzed their product against all of their competitors on the market. Please don't say that the person is unable to close the lid, this is almost insulting, INSTEAD, admit that the design of the lid COULD be improved. Nuff said.

Lastly, to reply to this; "I don't know of any portables that are totally rock solid on reliability."

It's no rocket science, you just check the warranties they give you. I know of some that give you 2 year warranty, others that give you a 10 years warranty (Haze V3) , there are some that give you a LIFETIME warranty (MFLB).

This would be the quantitative part of reliability. You can then also check the forums, user experiences etc to check how good customer support is/was in past cases on a more qualitative basis.

That's exactly what I was doing by reading this thread, and If you read the whole of it, I think you might find that except one little damage control situation where the problem was solved right away by management and a phone call, the vast majority of problems were attributed to the user, almost being skeptical of people reporting (inquisitive: Are you sure the buttons are not working? Cause earlier you said you made vapor) issues with their units, as if they had nothing better to do than to come fake an issue with their units...

It's not too late, I will conclude by these words so that I do not come out as a troublemaker, I think the firefly 2 looks like a good product, it is very attractive especially for people owning the kind of apple products (you can even match the lid colour to your phone!) and it looks like an overall good product, at least from the images and videos i've seen.

Firefly is at a crossroad.

It's up to the company to decide now whether this is an "ongoing process of improvement" with improved bilateral communication with their customer base, or if it's just a "let's sell as much as we can, as fast as we can, and refuse returns when the box is opened" kind of strategy (we call it "skimming strategy" in the jargon).

Cheers!

Last edited:

C4PO

Man, I might start a thread (if there isn't one already) on just the chemical taste issue.

Mine had a strong chemical flavor from the get-go. This is despite doing a few 'burn ins' on concentrate level, cleaning with alcohol, using with different strains, and w/o anything loaded at all. I would say it is akin to uncured acrylic resin, or perhaps a urethane (I'm an artist and have worked with both). One could also say it's rather like taking a hit through a brand new laptop. Against my better judgement, I continued to use the FF2. Eventually, I only tasted it at the end of the herb's viability, on the high setting. I have used it over a dozen times and still taste the chemical. The final straw was last Friday, when friends used it and said, they too tasted it. I had not mentioned the taste to them prior and they were not otherwise versed on the FF2.

I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the gasket on the inside of the lid. I assume it is glued in. I would think it would have behooved them to somehow mechanically retain the gasket and avoid adhesives all together. Perhaps the adhesive or the rubber it's self never fully cured, or just by it's nature out-gasses.

So, yesterday I called Firefly and spoke to a technical support rep (name redacted). Initially his response was that the FF2 was made with food safe, non-toxic materials that are devoid of BPA, etc. He repeated this throughout the call. He also repeatedly stated that this is the first he has heard of a chemical taste issue. I suggested this was a warranty situation, to which he replied that it was not. He stated that due to sanitary reasons their techs would not be able to test the unit to detect the taste. He told me to continue to use the FF2 and the taste should go away. At this point I got pissed. Restrained, but clearly pissed. I asked him if he was suggesting that I continue to use a device that is clearly conveying some chemical into my body, until it is no longer? I told him that I spent $230 on a product that claims to be safe and free of chemicals. I asked what he thought my endgame was; that I was trying to scam Firefly?? I cannot imagine a better reason to return the product, than it tasting like plastic!! At this point he put me on hold to talk to his 'supervisor'. In the end he said that he would send me an email instructing me on how to return for warranty inspection. However, he said that it was unlikely to fall under the warranty as again, due to sanitary reasons, the techs would not be able to personally test the unit. Shipping both ways will be my responsibility. I thanked him and ended the call, unsatisfied. Unsatisfied by the answer as well as the repetitive and robotic nature of the rep.

I am annoyed. I'm annoyed as hell. At this point, I don't know whether to ship the FF2 back or not. The rep claimed my issue was unheard of. I told him otherwise, that I have heard a number of mentions here on FC. It sounds to me like they are well aware of the issue and have a blanket policy of denial.

I can say this; I will NEVER recommend a Firefly product. Never. I might as well go back to combustion. At least then I know what shit is going into my body.

Again, I'm inclined to think the issue is stemming from the rubber gasket in the lid. Unless I'm mistaken it is glued in and I am not aware (again perhaps mistaken) of any modern/strong/long-lasting adhesive that doesn't contain chemistry that I don't want conveyed into my lungs/bloodstream/kidneys. Frankly, I wonder what the gasket itself is made of. I would hope silicon, as it is the least reactive of synthetic rubber. Either way, to not have mechanically secured the gasket was, IMO a mistake and creates a fatal flaw within their "no harmful materials used" tag-line.

Grumble, grumble...

I had a similar experience with the smell and it seems to be from the foam packaging in the box rather than anything on the actual FF2. The smell went away for me after 3 or 4 bowls.

Santiponce

@toecutter I thought I would bring to your attention that the very same problem happened about two months ago to @huxley, it was solved on the 5th of June and this is what Huxley posted as a resolution;

Hello folks,
I have unexpectedly been pulled back into this forum.

To recap, I was someone who tried to use the vape without any herbs on Med-High until the chemical taste goes away, which it doesn't.

I was just about to do a chargeback, when much to my surprise, their COO and Marketing VP had contacted me on the phone (!?)

He said @mitchgo61 (who they were quite appreciative of) had alerted them to the discussion that I've been having here regarding the chemical taste.

For them to be calling me, I got the sense this was an emergency triage call to get in front of any possible PR problem that I may have generated on this board, and told him as much.

I expressed how appreciative I was of his call, even if it turns out that they could not provide me with a unit that was as low-chemical tasting as I required.

Main points I was told:
- They have a very small staff of 6. (If I recall correctly, I think that does not include their customer support staff however)
- That their customer support staff who I originally spoke to needs training.
- They said it was incorrect for them to tell me it was normal to smell some "manufacturing oils" and they should not have said to just start using it anyway despite the chemical taste.
- They said that only approximately 3% (I forget the exact % it might have been as high as 4%) of the units are suffering from the chemical taste problem that I experienced.
- They know the cause of the smell
- They have "changed the cleaning fluid"
- They have some new tests that "tests the air draw being consistent"
- That they are "now able to get rid of any residual smells"
- "No units should smell"
- New units that use this process are not yet available (I think he said in July?)
- They were very very appreciative of the FC community, and thanked me and the rest of FC for being early adopters and taking the chance with them
- He was clearly excited about the vape discussing things to the effect of how it can vape at such precise temperatures in a novel way

The post goes on and if you want you can find it around page 105-106 of this very thread.

I want to point out to you specifically this part:
"- They said it was incorrect for them to tell me it was normal to smell some "manufacturing oils" and they should not have said to just start using it anyway despite the chemical taste.
- They said that only approximately 3% (I forget the exact % it might have been as high as 4%) of the units are suffering from the chemical taste problem that I experienced.
- They know the cause of the smell"

It's sad to see that for some damage control situation the right steps were taken but for an invisible lambda customer, even after this precedent, you are still being told, i quote:

He also repeatedly stated that this is the first he has heard of a chemical taste issue. I suggested this was a warranty situation, to which he replied that it was not. He stated that due to sanitary reasons their techs would not be able to test the unit to detect the taste. He told me to continue to use the FF2 and the taste should go away.

Now perhaps they will call you and apologize to you but it won't make me feel better because i know that if i buy a unit and it has the *exact* same problem, i will be told to pay for shipping, that i can not return it, that they can not test it, that i opened the package. I don't feel like fighting for my rights as a customer when I pay so much, it is part of a luxurious experience.

Santiponce,
Reactions: toecutter

Deadwood

First time here. Lots of great info on this site. Don't mean for my first post to be negative in anyway but...

Just spoke to FF customer service hoping my order would ship in June as the web site says. Unfortunately, FF said not until the second or third week in July.
I placed my order June 11. Pretty bummed and a little upset that FF advertised a definite ship date but can't keep their end of the deal.

What's the next best thing? Will have to buy local. Leaving for vacation July 5 and must be discrete around the family.

Deadwood,

Mr. Me2

First time here. Lots of great info on this site. Don't mean for my first post to be negative in anyway but...

Just spoke to FF customer service hoping my order would ship in June as the web site says. Unfortunately, FF said not until the second or third week in July.
I placed my order June 11. Pretty bummed and a little upset that FF advertised a definite ship date but can't keep their end of the deal.

What's the next best thing? Will have to buy local. Leaving for vacation July 5 and must be discrete around the family.
Look at Boundless vapes to tide you over. I haven't tried it, but fc people seem to love it and it's not a big investment

Okay, I'll add some other suggestions: pax2 (very discreet, but can smell), g pen elite (also discreet - you should watch Buzz Danklin's review)

And welcome to fc!

toecutter

Awesome, I will read the rest and see if I can get in touch with someone other than the rep I spoke to. Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I had missed that post.

Boy I was (and frankly still am) steamed...

*UPDATE*

Read the post. Yep, sounds familiar. I've gotten in touch with some parties and hope to hear back.

In the meantime, does anyone have contact info that goes above the tech support level? If I'm unable to get in touch with anyone, I guess social media/Twitter is my only recourse, though I'm not terribly keen on going nuclear-public.

@toecutter I thought I would bring to your attention that the very same problem happened about two months ago to @huxley, it was solved on the 5th of June and this is what Huxley posted as a resolution;

The post goes on and if you want you can find it around page 105-106 of this very thread.

I want to point out to you specifically this part:
"- They said it was incorrect for them to tell me it was normal to smell some "manufacturing oils" and they should not have said to just start using it anyway despite the chemical taste.
- They know the cause of the smell"

It's sad to see that for some damage control situation the right steps were taken but for an invisible lambda customer, even after this precedent, you are still being told, i quote:

Now perhaps they will call you and apologize to you but it won't make me feel better because i know that if i buy a unit and it has the *exact* same problem, i will be told to pay for shipping, that i can not return it, that they can not test it, that i opened the package. I don't feel like fighting for my rights as a customer when I pay so much, it is part of a luxurious experience.

Last edited:

Mango

They told me 1-2 weeks when I called and its 1 and a half weeks already since then.

There goes my hope when you have order before me.

Mango,

spaceshipvan

Hey everyone, I've been following this thread for a few weeks now. I ordered my FF2 at the very beginning of June and had it in hand in about a week. I haven't had any major issues with the device.

There are two problems that could be fixed with this device and it's accessories. First - The battery meter needs to be fixed. Second - The charging cradle should be designed to grip the FF2. The former requires a desperately needed software update. For the latter, I'm thinking of 3d printing a clip for the cradle so I can mount the charger to a wall and slide my FF2 in.

I had a very minor smell when I opened my package, but it was gone in less than an hour. I've owned 2 other vapes in the past, including a Pandora, so I'm familiar with slow draws for convection. The learning curve with getting nice clouds lasted about 20 minutes for me.

In reference to Jezmund, I unknowingly went all of last week with my mouthpiece only partially in place and still had decent sessions. I had to apply a nice bit of force to fully pop the mouthpiece back in place. The fit is very tight, so you might try popping it back in until you feel it clip in.

Toecutter, I feel for you, man! As a CS rep, I know some reps know their stuff better than others. I really hope they get this all sorted out. I gotta say I'm with user greenextinguisher in that I probably would not have ordered this vape if I had seen the posts from the past few pages in this thread. I'll also say this thread isn't representative of the majority of users. I suggest anyone reading to consider that this has essentially become a support hub for the FF2. I know I appreciate everyone's input and feedback. I truly hope the powers over at FF are following along.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
There are two problems that could be fixed with this device and it's accessories. First - The battery meter needs to be fixed. Second - The charging cradle should be designed to grip the FF2. The former requires a desperately needed software update. For the latter, I'm thinking of 3d printing a clip for the cradle so I can mount the charger to a wall and slide my FF2 in..

Nicely recapped. I agree these are the two most obvious issues with the FF2....most of us haven't had any real operational problems, but I think everyone has experienced weirdness with both the battery meter and the cradle. (I stopped using the cradle on day two and only use the external charger now.)

In reference to Jezmund, I unknowingly went all of last week with my mouthpiece only partially in place and still had decent sessions. I had to apply a nice bit of force to fully pop the mouthpiece back in place. The fit is very tight, so you might try popping it back in until you feel it clip in..

I agree with this as well. His issue with air leakage is almost certainly the mouthpiece not being fully in place, though it sounds like he's tried to seat it as snugly as possible. There really is a thing with it where it feels like it's in, but it isn't, really. I find it helpful to push against it with my thumb after it snaps in place to really make sure it's seated properly.

Nice first post, btw. Welcome to FC!

Mustang_52

Has anybody that had their firefly deemed defective like mine get a replacement yet? I got an email from the 9 days ago saying that they would be shipping a replacement out but still have not get ten anything. They had my firefly since 5/23.

vape4fun

It's tricky because are people going to come to this thread over and over again to type I love my firefly or to try get help or complain about certain things? I ordered and cancelled a Nano bc fly just does it for me. I will most certainly sell my hopper too when it arrives. I love this thing love love love so buy it you will love it too....

No smell after use
Easy to clean
Sleek yet powerful
Huge clouds once you figure it out
No sore throat after use
Taste is beyond explanation
One pinch gives me two nice sessions
Now I have three lids thanks to sale and it's almost like having three vapes.

Lastly if you read GH thread every second post is someone complaining it broke!!

vape4fun,
Reactions: mitchgo61

jay87

My experience with the Firefly 2 has been exceptionally positive. I ordered it in late april, received it in mid may.

I got great results from my first draw and this vaporizer has been getting better and better. The vapor is 100% convection, extremely clean, extremely smooth, extremely good tasting, and most importantly extremely potent. This device is extremely easy to use, some people say different but in my experience I literally pack the bowl, hold the buttons, and take a draw. That's all I have to do and it produces amazing clouds.

I've had no issues with reliability and on the contrary the FF2 seems like it will continue to be incredibly reliable for years to come. It's got essentially no moving parts and the only maintenance is cleaning it which takes literally 30 seconds to go from dirty to brand new clean.

Pros: Great vapor, Easy to use, Very easy to clean, Extremely versatile, Extremely efficient
Cons: Battery meter broken, External battery charger not included, Average battery life

The advantages of the FF2 are the incredible performance in terms of vapor quality and ease of use. The disadvantages of the FF2 are cosmetic or accessory issues. For me there are no negatives that are related to the performance of the vaporizer.

With this device you really have to nitpick in order to find flaws. The flaws definitely exist but they are few and far between, possibly being corrected by updates and/or new accessories, and most of the flaws have nothing to do with the performance of the device.

This is not a cloud evo and it's definitely not a pax 2 so if you're looking for combustion-like clouds or conduction heating that doesn't require a draw to heat the material then go elsewhere. This device is a Firefly 2 and it performs incredibly well as a portable convection herb and concentrate vaporizer.

I'm personally very satisfied with this device and from my point of view the vast majority of FF2 owners are happy with their devices as well. :2c:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
It's tricky because are people going to come to this thread over and over again to type I love my firefly or to try get help or complain about certain things?...Lastly if you read GH thread every second post is someone complaining it broke!!

FC and sites like it have always struck me as a sort of "inverse bell curve". We hear all the complaints (of course...I'm the first one to post complaints myself!), and usually all the "holy shit this device is GOD!!" comments. But the vast "messy middle" of users who are totally satisfied, we hear a lot less from them proportionally. So it's often nearly impossible to determine the quality of a vape without some ability to filter out the noise (the "best of" threads are actually a good idea because they require human intervention to select the most helpful posts....might be time to get a "best of FF2" thread going). It's really easy to get a skewed picture of a vape from the extremes. (You know how on Amazon an item can have 1500 reviews and a 4 1/2 star rating, but you read the 1 star reviews and think "man, this thing has some problems...." :p Sometimes you just gotta play the percentages.)

Given the total number of returns it sounds like most people are doing fine with their FF2s, so far.

I ordered and cancelled a Nano bc fly just does it for me.

I'm biased, but the Nano is an awesome little vape, versatile as hell, really powerful, and every home should have a desktop. Given its value (considering the FC discount) I think it makes an excellent complement to the FF. :2c:

greenextinguisher

@greenextinguisher In my humble opinion, this is presented as a premium product, the analogy with the iPhone never gets old, I don't care that it costs 329USD or even 429USD, premium is premium, I would even be willing to pay 529USD for this vaporizer, I don't care, when you go for the Mighty/Firefly2/PAX2 you are going for the BEST (portable) experience possible which means that your number one criteria for selection is certainly not price.

All of this to say that when you say; "and you have a good shot at getting a solid product, if you order."

A good shot? I don't want any shots, this is 329USD, and I wouldn't mind paying even 429USD but not for a "good shot" at getting something flawless. I wanted to have a 100% chance of getting something flawless and, if it is not possible realistically from the get-go, I want to be certain that the follow-up process is going to be on par with a premium experience, read smooth, painless.

Want an idea? Why not offer a 99USD "Firefly Care Plan" for 3 years, but then it's;
"Hello my unit is not working."
-"Yes, sir, please send it right away, we will repair it or replace it free of charge, we are sorry for the inconvenience."

No weird talk of;
-You have to grind like this or like that
-You have to close the lid so that it is sealed
-You have to take X seconds puffs until you turn blue out of air

If someone tells you that his unit is malfunctioning in the first place, you have to assume that this person knows how to close a rectangular piece of glass over another similarly-shaped and sized rectangular piece of glass.

They are not selling to monkeys, most of the people buying from them are using a computer and the internet at the very least, and most likely have already analyzed their product against all of their competitors on the market. Please don't say that the person is unable to close the lid, this is almost insulting, INSTEAD, admit that the design of the lid COULD be improved. Nuff said.

Lastly, to reply to this; "I don't know of any portables that are totally rock solid on reliability."

It's no rocket science, you just check the warranties they give you. I know of some that give you 2 year warranty, others that give you a 10 years warranty (Haze V3) , there are some that give you a LIFETIME warranty (MFLB).

This would be the quantitative part of reliability. You can then also check the forums, user experiences etc to check how good customer support is/was in past cases on a more qualitative basis.

That's exactly what I was doing by reading this thread, and If you read the whole of it, I think you might find that except one little damage control situation where the problem was solved right away by management and a phone call, the vast majority of problems were attributed to the user, almost being skeptical of people reporting (inquisitive: Are you sure the buttons are not working? Cause earlier you said you made vapor) issues with their units, as if they had nothing better to do than to come fake an issue with their units...

It's not too late, I will conclude by these words so that I do not come out as a troublemaker, I think the firefly 2 looks like a good product, it is very attractive especially for people owning the kind of apple products (you can even match the lid colour to your phone!) and it looks like an overall good product, at least from the images and videos i've seen.

Firefly is at a crossroad.

It's up to the company to decide now whether this is an "ongoing process of improvement" with improved bilateral communication with their customer base, or if it's just a "let's sell as much as we can, as fast as we can, and refuse returns when the box is opened" kind of strategy (we call it "skimming strategy" in the jargon).

Cheers!

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but your expectations are calibrated differently based on your life experiences. You must have been lucky with other products in the past. I'm an apple fanboy, have had a stack of their laptops a foot high, 11 iphones, and three desktops in my lifetime and they weren't all rock-solid. iMac screen, first-gen MBP w/Retina, I'm looking at you.

I don't think looking at the warranty is good at sizing up the rock-solidness of a device. MFLB and GH both have lifetimes and I don't know I'd that I'd consider them rock-solid as far as reliability goes. Obviously, everyone has different experiences and luck.

Again, not disagreeing with you. You are obviously making the right choice for yourself.

Sorry, but I think that's nonsense. EVERYBODY knows what this vape is intended for. Any vape video that shows outstanding vapor from their product, as in this one, intends to convey that this is cannabis. Further, this video clearly gives the impression that the cloud he got was from his first hit.

I said I didn't want to impugn the man's character and that's where I'm leaving it.

Definitely a prickly thread. I'm about done with it as I'm happy with my FF and am on to other VAS. :)

To my point... everyone knowing what your device is for and having plausible deniability when they are playing this video openly in a courtroom at your trial are two very different things.

greenextinguisher,

jay87

Are you implying that one cannot get good clouds with the Firefly 2 and that Firefly had to lie and create a doctored video in order to mislead the masses into buying their product? I assume you're not but what is the implication when someone says: "That vapor in that vaporizer tutorial video doesn't look legitimate"?

Reading comments about Firefly's tutorial video reminds me of when the FF2 first came out. People on reddit and youtube were claiming up and down that all of the vaporizer critics were paid off by Firefly because some random people had no idea how to use their FF2's and allegedly didn't get the same stellar results that the critics did.

I think that in that video Firefly were required to show everyone the most possible vapor using lighting or preheating or whatever is necessary because if they didn't show the most possible vapor people would be upset at seeing a natural video.

Anecdotally the situation sounds like this to me:
People said "Hey Firefly I heard some people don't get clouds with the FF2, prove to me that the FF2 produces clouds"

Firefly said "Ok, here's a video showing you how to get clouds and the proof is in the video."

People said "It looks like you got too much vapor too easily, I don't believe this video is real, show me more proof that the FF2 is good or I won't believe you."

That kind of exchange turns into a never ending cycle that can only be dispelled by giving everyone firsthand experience with the device.

greenextinguisher

Are you implying that one cannot get good clouds with the Firefly 2 and that Firefly had to lie and create a doctored video in order to mislead the masses into buying their product? I assume you're not but what is the implication when someone says: "That vapor in that vaporizer tutorial video doesn't look legitimate"?

Reading comments about Firefly's tutorial video reminds me of when the FF2 first came out. People on reddit and youtube were claiming up and down that all of the vaporizer critics were paid off by Firefly because some random people had no idea how to use their FF2's and allegedly didn't get the same stellar results that the critics did.

I think that in that video Firefly were required to show everyone the most possible vapor using lighting or preheating or whatever is necessary because if they didn't show the most possible vapor people would be upset at seeing a natural video.

Anecdotally the situation sounds like this to me:
People said "Hey Firefly I heard some people don't get clouds with the FF2, prove to me that the FF2 produces clouds"

Firefly said "Ok, here's a video showing you how to get clouds and the proof is in the video."

People said "It looks like you got too much vapor too easily, I don't believe this video is real, show me more proof that the FF2 is good or I won't believe you."

That kind of exchange turns into a never ending cycle that can only be dispelled by giving everyone firsthand experience with the device.

You kind of nail my sentiment on the video topic here. I don't care to dissect the _instructional_ video because I know from experience that the FF2 is a rockstar. There are a dozen youtube videos of real users blowing dense clouds.

greenextinguisher,
Reactions: mitchgo61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom