The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Thanks for the updated data so the heater is pretty close in generating the asked for air temp at low fan volumes but drops rapidly with more air. Appreciate all the folks who take time to record and share their findings.

Couple Questions

How long did you wait in between runs? or let me ask this in laymans terms, How long do I need to wait between balloons to let everything get back to steady state? When the heater light goes out or maybe longer?

I have run a few bags at like F2 but none at F1. Gonna try that tommorow.... Didn't use Q tonight, had to try some cherry pie kush wax instead.

Frothy

ru_frothi,

mysticlaker

I hope that the admins can remove my posts in this thread. With the updated data, my posts may lead someone down the wrong path.

Thanks.

ML

mysticlaker,

Canarka

I've start to vape in the elbow at around 150-160C. I seem to get plenty of visible vapor and eventually worked my way to 175C then 190C before switching out the elbow. I find that all my stuff always comes out a nice dark brown.

Canarka,

MadScientist625

rufrothy said:
Thanks for the updated data so the heater is pretty close in generating the asked for air temp at low fan volumes but drops rapidly with more air. Appreciate all the folks who take time to record and share their findings.

Couple Questions

How long did you wait in between runs? or let me ask this in laymans terms, How long do I need to wait between balloons to let everything get back to steady state? When the heater light goes out or maybe longer?

I have run a few bags at like F2 but none at F1. Gonna try that tommorow.... Didn't use Q tonight, had to try some cherry pie kush wax instead.

Frothy

I would only use the fan at F1 if you want the most consistent air temperature. it's not that the heater can't keep up; You can increase the air temperature while the fan is on by increase the temperature setpoint. The problem is that the thermocouple is located inside the ceramic cartridge heater (I looked). When the fan is on, a temperature gradient forms across the ceramic which means the surface where air is contacting is cooler than what the thermocouple "feels" inside the ceramic cartridge heater.

The recovery time depends on how long the previous run was but in general, I was waiting about 5 min in between runs which gave me repeatable results. Basically, just enough time to inhale your bag and stir the herb around a little bit.

MadScientist625,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Canarka said:
I've always vaped in the elbow at around 150-160C. I seem to get plenty of visible vapor and eventually worked my way to 175C then 190C before switching out the elbow. I find that all my stuff always comes out a nice dark brown.

you can go back and edit your posts.

ru_frothi,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
MadScientist625 said:
rufrothy said:

Couple Questions

Frothy

I would only use the fan at F1 if you want the most consistent air temperature. it's not that the heater can't keep up; You can increase the air temperature while the fan is on by increase the temperature setpoint. The problem is that the thermocouple is located inside the ceramic cartridge heater (I looked). When the fan is on, a temperature gradient forms across the ceramic which means the surface where air is contacting is cooler than what the thermocouple "feels" inside the ceramic cartridge heater.

The recovery time depends on how long the previous run was but in general, I was waiting about 5 min in between runs which gave me repeatable results. Basically, just enough time to inhale your bag and stir the herb around a little bit.

Thanks Perfect. I will try lower temps and F1 and see what happens.... got a new hybrid to try today Ken's GDP x OG Kush.

Frothy

ru_frothi,

MadScientist625

Good morning FC,

In case anyone was curious, I went ahead and took some pictures last night of the guts of the EQV. It was pretty straight forward to disassemble. I probably should have used a better camera but these pics should give you an idea of what it looks like inside.

Here is the bottom of the unit with the cover off. You can see the electronics and the fan. The fan intake is up against the circuit board. I'm guessing that was done to help cool the power relay and conserve space. I'm not concerned about this as the board isn't going to heat up enough emit anything dangerous. The outlet points directly up into the shaft where the heater is. The fan is similar to this (like a water wheel): http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/...-cooling/227-review-nidec-gamma-28-blower-fan

aMdxj.jpg

Here is the unit completely out of the outer shell. The steel shroud (metal cylinder) keeps the heat away from the outer housing.
O4OkH.jpg

Shroud off. You can see the ground glass fitting now over the heating cartridge
Jg09q.jpg

The glass fitting is held in place by a plastic bracket. insulating tape is using to prevent the plastic from heating up too much.

Glass fitting off to expose the ceramic cartridge. Tere are four wires going into the ceramic heater (two power and two for temperature measurement) (You can barely see it in the photo).
KL9iv.jpg

MadScientist625,

MadScientist625

rufrothy said:
Thanks Perfect. I will try lower temps and F1 and see what happens.... got a new hybrid to try today Ken's GDP x OG Kush.

Frothy

If I was going to do a bag with just enough herb to fill 1-2 bags, I would pre-heat to 180C (160 if you are using the cyclone bowl) and then increase it to 230C (220 if using the cyclone) after about 0.5-1 min of filling the bag. That will release all the volatiles (THC) without cooking them in the beginning and then the increase in temperature during the fill will allow you to continue to release the higher boiling point compounds.

MadScientist625,

heyfromhell

When I got off of work today I came home to a nicely packed EXTEME Q VAPORIZER! This thing rocks! I love it, I just need to find some killer herb now :lol: Going to start "testing" this thing out.

heyfromhell,

Johnny21

Hi Im looking at buying the 2010 extreme Q vaporizer by arizer... and i live in washington state. Is there any headshops or a retail store where i can actually look at the model. Input would be appreciated.

Johnny21,

bigslikk

Will it work?if so how many watts would I need to power one up without frying the wires?I want to bring it on the road with me(for trips etc.) without buying the battery pack if possible.:D Thanks ahead for any response.

bigslikk,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Hey there...

There is a simple formula for this. Amps x Volts = Watts. If you look on the power supply unit of your EQ, you'll see it says 3500mah...or 3.5Amps. Obviously, the volts supplied from the wall is 120...which is what the PSU takes in.

3.5 x 120 = 420 watts.

You should always try and buy a product that is rated a little higher then what you think the max draw will be. I think if you went with a 500 watt inverter, it would probably work.

Please wait until someone can confirm my post. I don't want you to buy the wrong inverter because of my recommendation. However, google 500 watt power inverter and you can kinda see what you might have to spend.

finchrock24,

bigslikk

Great,thanks so much(almost bought a 400 Watt inverter glad I read your reply!!)it was a 400w max draw 800w for around $25.Hopefully won't be too much more for a 500W!

bigslikk,

gim

Man, I have a lot of vaporpedia updating to do. Thanks for the graphs and information MadScientist!

gim,

chucku

Charles Urbane
I don't normally do bags but last night I fired up my v3 E, warmed the cyclone to 185 c and loaded the cyclone with GDP kush. I started the bag at fan speed one and upped the temp to 225 c once 1/3 full. I found the vapor effective but on the light side. Once the bag was inflated I dropped the temp to 210 c and whipped several satisfying hits after finishing the bag. What was curious (since I normally vape bowls to completion) was after I shut off the power there was still an extra 5-7 satisifying hits of decreasing temp vapor just off of residual heat. The lesson is if goodies still remain at the end of a session, keep hitting it until you stop getting vapor.

chucku,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Remember that when using your inverter, for the first time you should run it with the car idling or driving. Make sure everything works okay then you can try turning off the car and seeing if it still works. Just start your car every 10-15 minutes to confirm that you battery isn't dead, and if you can carry jumper cables (you should anyway) or one of those handy portable battery jump starter things.

Also, remember that if there are two outlets on the inverter, and you plug two appliances in, they are both drawing watts from the same source, syou need to add the wattage together. IE one cell phone charging = 50 watts, and on laptop running = 150 watts = 200 watts being used.

finchrock24,

wildnacatl

You must also make sure the cigarette lighter circuit in your vehicle is capable of handling the load. If not it will have to be hard wired....

wildnacatl,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
wildnacatl said:
You must also make sure the cigarette lighter circuit in your vehicle is capable of handling the load. If not it will have to be hard wired....

Yes, this is important to note. If you have a newer car (or a truck) chances are it will handle it okay. If not, you will have to hook it directly to the battery via alligator clips (some inverters like the Black and Decker 400watt come with clips). If you were camping or parked, you could clip the leads to the battery and run a small extension cord and then either sit inside the car or run the chord to your tent, trailer, fire pit, etc.

finchrock24,

LedHendrix

Couple of quick questions. Where can I find suitable replacement bags for my Extreme Q, I read that hardware stores or some grocery stores carry bags that can be used.
Also, does anyone know how to get rid of bits of AVB that fall through the mesh of the cyclone bowl and into where the air comes out?

Thanks in advance.

LedHendrix,

hereatlast

You can use oven food-safe cooking bags for your Extreme, I hated putting those bags together though :o

A blast from a can of compressed air and/or a careful vacumming of that area should work for the ABV bits.

hereatlast,
I cut down the size the whip on my extreme Q to about 4 inches because I saw how much rezin i was losing due to it getting caught in the whip. However lately Ive come to the notion that this is really tar, Im really not sure what it is, so today I doing two things 1. im using about a long whip agian ( about 1 foot of whip doesn't look like the "tar" gets far past 3/4 of the whip). 2. Im posting here, anyone have feedback about what exactly this stuff that collects on the whip is?

I am 31 yo, I smoked ciggs n blunts (for ten years) untill this sept, ive quit the ciggs and bought the extreme Q in OCT, so far I love it! I want to hopefully aviod future cancer, copd etc.

thanks

Iluvthestickyicky,

max

Out to lunch
However lately Ive come to the notion that this is really tar
It's condensed vapor. Vapor condenses on anything cooler, including the air. The vapor you see when you exhale is also condensation.

max,

Pappy

shmaporist
^ The condensed vapor traps herbal particulates. A dirty or short whip is a conduit for this solidified mixture of vapor particles. Call it tar by any other name but it's certainly not good stuff to breath! Clean whips, screens, and glass result in healthier lungs. :2c:

Pappy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Iluvthestickyicky said:
I cut down the size the whip on my extreme Q to about 4 inches...

I'm trying to picture this in use. Seems awkward at best, unless I'm missing something?

pakalolo,

gim

pakalolo said:
Iluvthestickyicky said:
I cut down the size the whip on my extreme Q to about 4 inches...

I'm trying to picture this in use. Seems awkward at best, unless I'm missing something?

So many innuendos to make about sucking on a 4 inch whip.
I'm guessing he lifts the EQ up to hit it. Shorter whips do make for an easier hit, I learned that from trial and error.

gim,
Top Bottom