The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

AcADIeN

Sylvain
heyfromhell said:
I have a few questions about smoking hash with the Extreme Q. I read in this thread that you can smoke hash mixed with weed in the elbow pack method with the hash being in middle like a sandwich. Is this the only way to smoke hash with the Extreme Q? Can you smoke hash by itself? Does it clog up the screens?

it depends of the hash you have, if it melt, then it will clog your screen. I smoked hash in mine couple time, but I do have 2 screen in my cyclone bowl, I took the spare screen that came with my other cyclone bowl, it was curved a little so when I put the other one, something like this

|)(#

I'm sure there is nothing that pass through (or very little)

haha if you figure that those )( are my screen, the | is the bottom edge of my cyclone bowl, and the # is my stuff, you will figure out what I mean.

AcADIeN,

Pappy

shmaporist
Canarka said:
Pappy said:
Vapor bonging elbows I rarely go above 200 these days.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (And please do correct me if I am) but I have a lot of trouble producing nice clouds of vapor using a bong (Packing elbows at 190-210C) compared to the wand method where I to get huge rips.

It seems to me like I have to do a whole lot more pulling to get about 50% less vapor then just using the wand directly. I've tried pulling quickly, pulling slowly. Pulling slowly worked far better for me but it seems like I had to do one giant slow lung-full of "Brewing" to fill the bong, then exhale air, then inhale the vapor. Feels like a lot more work then the direct wand to mouth injection.

The bong I use is about 36" tall, dual tree perculated. I know I don't have an air leak anywhere either.

Am I missing something?
Having owed 2 Qs I can attest that each vape's sweet spot varies. A variance of 5 degrees can equal a 10 degree difference on two Q performing relatively equally. I also must say your bong sounds like it would test the healthiest lungs. The way you pack the elbow is another consideration. Obviously, the tighter the pack the harder the draw. Here's an elbow @ 200 on my SG bent neck Stemline which is a very vape friendly tube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ClubMJW?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/kl75uJEBiJo

Pappy,

Theo

Just got a new Alex K. showerhead diffy for my RooR bub. I used to never use it since the downstem/bowl was connected so 1, couldn't clear it, and 2, couldn't use my EQ on it. Now I can just hook up the other elbow and connect the EQ and bub directly :D

101209-140801.jpg

Theo,

ver151set

I recently tried to use my extreme q for the first time in a few months. Its displays ER1 and beeps constantly. Any ideas?

ver151set,

Pappy

shmaporist
ver151set said:
I recently tried to use my extreme q for the first time in a few months. Its displays ER1 and beeps constantly. Any ideas?
Contact Arizer.

Pappy,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
Pappy/Pappa Ganjz you are one crazy old man lol just watched all your vids again. I like to see your are enjoying the lower temp vapour. Whos the ganjz babe btw :cool: hey now.

Heres a scenario - U finish a sesh, or more commonly with me, u finish vaping what u busted up of a particular strain, and want to bust up another variety, but u still have like 1/4 elbow left in your grinder/dish. Do you just bust up the new variety and make a salad with the remaining herb in the grinder? Or do u need to vape the other variety first, packing a less full elbow? Well im crazy in that I rarely mix varieties, and even rarely mix diff plants/phenos of the same strain (some times its great though)

What I really want to get out of this is What is the smallest amount of herb you have ever packed the elbow with? I get the vibe that alot of people think the elbow must be nearly full in order for it to work properly and/or to stay in the elbow. Well it is very possible to pack 1/5 of an elbow and it work very well. Surprisingly the first hit or 2 are enourmous as always, but then quickly dies off so you only get 3 maybe 4 hits total. Matter of fact, and no exageration here, I have literally packed only 4 calaxes into the elbow and got one large hit off it, then it was pooched. With this small amount it doesnt actually stay in the elbow but I placed them in, started my inhale, then flipped it over and put in on the Q and continued hitting. Anyways im starting to rant, but those who feel like experimenting give this a try and i think you will be pleasantly surprised. Best part of this is that the first big hit is really tasty and just as ruthless as with a full elbow, and then there are fewer popcorn tasting hits, so for me it is almost more enjoyable. Actually now that i think of it I should try a whole sesh of "micro elbows". Fuck it, im gunna do that right now. Gunna divide one elbows worth into 3 or 4 elbows and see how high i get. Ill be back!!

Edited for terrible spelling and typos, even though im sure there are still some

Mr. Smoke No More,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Keep us posted SNM. It sounds like you have some important research to do! :brow:

Stu,

Pappy

shmaporist
Mr. Smoke No More said:
Pappy/Pappa Ganjz you are one crazy old man lol just watched all your vids again. I like to see your are enjoying the lower temp vapour. Whos the ganjz babe btw hey now.
Heres a scenario - U finish a sesh, or more commonly with me, u finish vaping what u busted up of a particular strain, and want to bust up another variety, but u still have like 1/4 elbow left in your grinder/dish. Do you just bust up the new variety and make a salad with the remaining herb in the grinder? Or do u need to vape the other variety first, packing a less full elbow? Well im crazy in that I rarely mix varieties, and even rarely mix diff plants/phenos of the same strain (some times its great though)
What I really want to get out of this is What is the smallest amount of herb you have ever packed the elbow with?
Ganja Babe is my sidekick. ;) I'm not averse to salads or mixing but understand all my shit is OG variants so cure has a lot more to do with the resulting load than strain. As far as the pack nothing can ruin herb more than too tight an elbow pack but regarding this conservation kick I just ain't on it . If I could inhale vapor in my ear and chug it out my rear I'd do it from morning till midnight! :lol:

Pappy,

MadScientist625

Hi FC,
[Edit: For more accurate numbers at relevant conditions; please see my other posts further down in this thread]

Just got my first Vap, an EQV. Works great.

Being a Madscientist :brow: , I've done a little characterization work with my thermocouple (bare) + reader. Below are some data after warming up the unit to 200C for 20 min. The thermocouple (TC) was placed in the center where the screen is on the elbow and on the cyclone bowl. House (ambient) temperature is 64F.

Note that the manual specifically states that the setpoint temperature is the heater core temperature. I'm trying to determine actual herb temps and how well the unit maintains air temps as the fan speed increases.

If anyone is curious about other setpoints, let me know.

"Percolate" Data using cold elbow (warming up an elbow pack) (no fan, T,setpoint = 200C):
Warmup time (min) - Temp@elbow, F
2 - 95 F
5 - 110 F
8 - 125 F
10 - 134 F

Temperature (C) after 2min at T,setpoint = 200C (F1 = fan speed 1, etc.)

elbow (2 C)
F1 - 130C
f2 - 124C
F3 - 122C

cyclone (2 C)
F1 - 160 C
F2 - 155 C
F3 --150 C

MadScientist625,
Reactions: wisherly

Pappy

shmaporist
MadScientist625 said:
eing a Madscientist , I've done a little characterization work with my thermocouple
Fascinating, great work! It bares out what I speculated, that 200c is the readout at the sensor, not in the bowl. Considering I heat my empty Cyclone to 230 for a couple of minutes, put an elbow load on and drop the temp to 200. Would think the fan would increase the temp, that fooled me. Good work!

Pappy,

MadScientist625

Pappy said:
Would think the fan would increase the temp, that fooled me. Good work!

The temp controller is either Proportional control only or the temperature set point is just being converted to a heater duty cycle (i.e. constant heat output / watts)...or a poorly tuned PI controller). I'm only trying to understand its nature so I can use it more effectively....

MadScientist625,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
MadScientist625 said:
Hi FC,

Just got my first Vap, an EQV. Works great.

Being a Madscientist :brow: , I've done a little characterization work with my thermocouple (bare) + reader. Below are some data after warming up the unit to 200C for 20 min. The thermocouple (TC) was placed in the center where the screen is on the elbow and on the cyclone bowl. House (ambient) temperature is 64F.

Note that the manual specifically states that the setpoint temperature is the heater core temperature. I'm trying to determine actual herb temps and how well the unit maintains air temps as the fan speed increases.

If anyone is curious about other setpoints, let me know.

"Percolate" Data using cold elbow (warming up an elbow pack) (no fan, T,setpoint = 200C):
Warmup time (min) - Temp@elbow, F
2 - 95 F
5 - 110 F
8 - 125 F
10 - 134 F

Temperature (C) after 2min at T,setpoint = 200C (F1 = fan speed 1, etc.)

elbow (2 C)
F1 - 130C
f2 - 124C
F3 - 122C

cyclone (2 C)
F1 - 160 C
F2 - 155 C
F3 --150 C

I'd love to know some higher temp setpoints and the relative temps in the cyclone and the elbow. Could you maybe test them at 230 C?

Nice work, by the way. Enjoy your Q!

Stu,

inkoso

Not trying to advertise for this, but i just copped it for 165 shipped on Ebay. I dont think that this could get any cheaper. My friend bought one from this company and it is completely legit.

Just trying to share a good deal with fellow vapers!
<link removed>

Modnote: Myrubberneck is not an authorized Extreme reseller and Arizer will not honor warranties on units purchased there.

inkoso,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
inkoso said:
Not trying to advertise for this, but i just copped it for 165 shipped on Ebay. I dont think that this could get any cheaper. My friend bought one from this company and it is completely legit.

Just trying to share a good deal with fellow vapers!
<link removed>

I bought one "buy it now" from that same seller on ebay for $175 delivered and it showed up in about 5 days and was completely original and sealed Extreme Q with all the advertised accessories. The seller lived up to my expectations and delivered what they advertised in a timely fashion.

Still lovin my Q. 1 bag of Lavender Skunk tonight and getting ready to become one with the couch. New Strain to me and its one of the tastiest I have come across in a while. Strong lemon scent and flavor.

Question for you longer term owners. Are you guys really vaping up less than .1g in a session? I realize people tolerances and goals are different but what I am grinding to fill a cyclone is 0.4-0.5g.

I have been doing 1 bag at 190 on F3, 1 bag at 210 at F3, and a bag at F2 at 230 and its done.

It looks to me like an elbow is still .2-.3g?

Frothy

ru_frothi,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
i'd say an elbow is more like .1/.2 if you dont actually pack it, which u shouldn't. Someone weighed it out once, cant remember, not baked enough to look. Generally vape 2 or 3 elbows per sesh.

Mr. Smoke No More,

Thunderstorm

Female Vaporist
Just wanted to chime in and say I also bought my EQ from the same ebay seller (myrubberneck) about a month ago and have been absolutely delighted with my purchase.

She has since dropped the price a bit, I think I paid $179.

Shipped quickly, every accessory included, works perfectly. I'll never go back to combusting again! In fact, our friend brought a blunt over last night and it was the first time I've smoked in a month - it was the most awful taste...like bitter ash.

I love being able to have 3 different delivery methods. I researched so many vapes and that's what ultimately sold me on the EQ. That and it seemed to have really good reviews everywhere.

My hubs picked up a decent glass bong at a local head shop. We run the whip through it with hot water and I've never experienced anything so smooth in my life. However, for some reason using the bong literally makes my lungs ache. I've tried doing smaller hits and not holding them in as long to no avail. It's a 10 inch bong and I usually keep my temps from 190-210. I'm hoping my lungs are just adjusting to vaping and it passes. I've only been using it about a month.

I also tend to vape 2-4 times per day so maybe the frequency is causing the lung issues; perhaps I need to stop a few days and use my spent herb to make some rich brownies!

Looking forward to hanging out in FC. I've learned so much here.

Mod note: Again, myrubberneck is not an authorized dealer for Arizer or Zephyr and those companies do not honor warranties when purchased from this seller.

Thunderstorm,

Shiz

Nice job MadScientist625 but those numbers are shocking! Yea, do it at the higher temps if you can.

I only use the cyclone bowl for multiple reasons but those elbow temps seem super low. Are those supposed to be C and not F? If after 10 mins the elbow only heats up to 134F/56C...that's insane. Set at 200C it only reads 55-60C? Even at 134C that would be super low. Much lower than the minimum temps needed for certain actives.

Using the cyclone, I start the EQ at 220c and finish off the loads at 230-250C. According to your results, the cyclone is still at least 20% lower than my displayed temps so at 250c the cyclone is about 200C. That's still not high enough for certain actives. Very interesting.

Shiz,

MadScientist625

Thanks all. I'll do some more testing tonight after work :brow:

One thing you have to keep in mind with the fan data I presented so far is the fact that they are steady-state values as I was mainly interested to see how well the unit maintained temperature with varying fan speeds. The initial gas temperature is going to be higher than the steady-state value because the controller doesn't increase the power going to the heater enough to keep up with demand.

My plan for tonight is to collect more transient data, similar to the percolate data, because that is the most useful data for people who use the whip (How does the temperature vary over the course of the first 30 seconds?). The steady-state data is more applicable for bag users since most people like to run the fan at F1 and allow the bag to fill slowly over the course of a few minutes.

I'll also do another setpoint temperature (230C).

MadScientist625,

MadScientist625

Hi again FC,

[Edit note: The original data in this point has been replaced with corrected data. I was using the wrong thermocouple calibration setting Jvs K]

I completed some more testing with the EQV. This data set is more applicable to all of us because these transient experiments replicate how the device is actually used as opposed to the steady-state data which is VERY misleading. Note that these experiments were completed for my own entertainment purposes but I thought I would share in case this helps/entertains anyone else.

The pic below shows the setup for this set of experiments. The thermocouple was placed just above where the screen sits in the cyclone bowl and was axially centered. The TC location actually makes a great deal of difference so care was taken to make sure the location was the same every time. The TC data was taken digitally at a frequency of 1 s-1.

I3wvS.jpg

The following measurements were made after a full warm up and at least 5-10 min was given in between runs to let the unit come back to its initial state. There did seem to be some hysteresis behavior in that the unit does not cool down as fast as the temperature indicator would have you believe. If you are going from high to low temp, it's best to run the fan for a few minutes after you decrease the temperature to help it cool and then allow it to rest for a few more minutes before using it (due to heat soak). Since most people start low and increase temps as they vap, this shouldn't be much of an issue but it is something to be aware of.

The following chart contains the time series cyclone bowl temperature data for different setpoint temperatures. The elbow was inserted and allowed to soak for 2min before the fan was turned on to F1. In general, 90% of the maximum temperature was reached in 10 seconds after starting the fan and were nearly identical to the temperature setpoint/readout, ~0-10C difference (see below in the comparison versus the elbow)..

YSZQ1.jpg

This chart shows the difference between letting the unit heat up for 5 min and then running at 200C versus a full warm up of 20-30 minutes.

1mrvG.jpg

I'll do the elbow temps next...

EDIT: below are data posted in later posts. I pasted it here as well so it is in one location. These data are also corrected for the TC fuck up.

Elbow versus cyclone data. Elbow is about 10-20C cooler over the temperature range 175-230C.

90Soq.jpg

Here I was concerned with how the fan speed affects air temperature. The conditions were T,setpoint = 200C, full-warm up, and measuring the temperature in the center of the elbow where the would normally sit. The data was collected starting with a room temperture elblow. The elbow was allowed to sit on top of the unit for 2 min before turning the fan on.

Time-series temperature versus Fan speed
QvadN.jpg

Max temperature versus fan speed
wKUMs.jpg

The main conclusion here is that there is a significant decrease in air temperature with fan speed. Basically the heater quickly cools off and is either incapable of keeping up at high fan speeds or the temperature controller is poorly tuned. This explains why bag hits are best at F1. At F2 and F3, the air temperature cools off quickly and you're not really vaping much anymore.

The fact that the heater temperature readout on the display never moves during these run is concerning. I am inclined to believe that the controller is programmed to lie to us or the temperature readout has nothing to do with temperature (maybe just correlated to heat duty or something; i.e. 200C = 70% heat duty).

If it weren't for the warranty, I'd be inclined to dig into the unit to see what's going on in there....[Edit: I did....post to follow]

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Thank you Thank you.

From this info...it looks like the EQ is ready to hit after only 3.3 minutes of warm up time. Thats faster then I originally thought.

I don't understand the second graph though? The setpoint temp is lower then the actual temp if I read that correctly?

finchrock24,

MadScientist625

finchrock24 said:
Thank you Thank you.

I don't understand the second graph though? The setpoint temp is lower then the actual temp if I read that correctly?

That's right. The actual cyclone bowl temperature was much higher than what it said on the EQV readout. The the offset is very linear over an 80C range which makes it easy to convert.

MadScientist625,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Can you put the TC on the heating element itself? I am curious as to what readings you would get there with your thermocouple since it's my understanding that the temperature shown on the Q's display were being read from the heating elelment itself. I could be wrong, though.

Stu,
Top Bottom