The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

vaypr8938

Hey all I'm new to the vape club and this site. I've read the entire thread and have had my eq for about 3 weeks. I love the machine and like most, have enjoyed experimenting.

But, one thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of people have a problem with the design of the cyclone bowl. Some suggest elbow packing or buying a new female piece that is shorter closer to the heater. Here are my thoughts.

I'm guessing the idea of the "cyclone" bowl is to have the contents swirling around like a cyclone? but what I've found, either using the whip or the fan to blow bags, is that the contents of your bowl tend to fly up and get stuck up in the elbow piece's screen. this clogs it up and doesn't allow the clean flow of vapor. Even if you pack your contents down in the cyclone you will notice right where the heat source blows the contents will jump up and fly up.

This also breaks the seal of the contents you are vaping which leads to lackluster pulls and bags. This is where most people like the elbow pack. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the elbow but you have to turn the heat up so high it is often a harsh hit. Also the contents are a long ways away from the heat source and still clogging up the screen that you are trying to pull through since that is where you load an elbow pack.

My solution is this. Take an extra screen and bend it up on the sides so it will fit into the cyclone bowl. Then load the cyclone bowl as normal and at least 1/5 of the way up to the black rubber with contents. Take your extra screen and put it down on top of the contents. So you have your initial screen, your contents, then the bent screen on top. push it down pretty solidly onto the contents basically keeping them in place. You might have to adjust your bend on the screen to keep it from flying up when whipping or using fan 3 for a bag, you want it to be snug. Then just start up and go as usual.

What this does is keep that seal that is lost when you just lay the contents on top of the screen (flying up and blocking the elbow's screen.)

Anyway sorry to go on and on but i'm excited. It makes a huge difference in the vaping quality and no new equipment to buy. You should have extra screens that cam with your vape. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks and I've really enjoyed this thread and it's tips.

vaypr8938,

zoo

I've been using the EQ for several months now and I'm quite delighted with it.

zoo,

Pappy

shmaporist
vaypr8938 said:
Hey all I'm new to the vape club and this site. I've read the entire thread and have had my eq for about 3 weeks. I love the machine and like most, have enjoyed experimenting.

But, one thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of people have a problem with the design of the cyclone bowl. Some suggest elbow packing or buying a new female piece that is shorter closer to the heater. Here are my thoughts.

I'm guessing the idea of the "cyclone" bowl is to have the contents swirling around like a cyclone? but what I've found, either using the whip or the fan to blow bags, is that the contents of your bowl tend to fly up and get stuck up in the elbow piece's screen. this clogs it up and doesn't allow the clean flow of vapor. Even if you pack your contents down in the cyclone you will notice right where the heat source blows the contents will jump up and fly up.

This also breaks the seal of the contents you are vaping which leads to lackluster pulls and bags. This is where most people like the elbow pack. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the elbow but you have to turn the heat up so high it is often a harsh hit. Also the contents are a long ways away from the heat source and still clogging up the screen that you are trying to pull through since that is where you load an elbow pack.

My solution is this. Take an extra screen and bend it up on the sides so it will fit into the cyclone bowl. Then load the cyclone bowl as normal and at least 1/5 of the way up to the black rubber with contents. Take your extra screen and put it down on top of the contents. So you have your initial screen, your contents, then the bent screen on top. push it down pretty solidly onto the contents basically keeping them in place. You might have to adjust your bend on the screen to keep it from flying up when whipping or using fan 3 for a bag, you want it to be snug. Then just start up and go as usual.

What this does is keep that seal that is lost when you just lay the contents on top of the screen (flying up and blocking the elbow's screen.)

Anyway sorry to go on and on but i'm excited. It makes a huge difference in the vaping quality and no new equipment to buy. You should have extra screens that cam with your vape. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks and I've really enjoyed this thread and it's tips.
Must say I have no problem with the Cyclone bowl and use it daily as opposed to the Elbow method. I'm also in a minority. I deal with the clogged Elbow issue by taping the elbow gently between rip and with my breathing technique. However I like you idea and will give it a try.

Pappy,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
Your solution seems pointless to me. First of all, saying that the elbow pack it too far away from the heater is bs. I vape same temp in the elbow (or cooler) that i do packing the cyclone. Also, i find packing the elbow screen actually greatly reduces the amount of weed that gets stuck in the screen. Once an elbow is vaped it taps out with no problems. Your solution of using another elbow screen, just not in the elbow, to prevent the elbow screen from clogging doesnt sound to me like it would help. My logic would lead me to believe that this screen would get clogged just as the elbow screen does, and how do u get that hot little metal screen out of there? U also say pack the cyclone "at least 1/5 full" If you are putting this small of an amount in the bowl, it makes more sense to put in the elbow. This is why: With just a tiny bit of weed in the bowl, a large percent of what is in there, is on top of the glass ring in the bowl which hold the screen in place and so is not in contact with the air path. If this same small portion of weed is actually cycloning around the bowl, there is alot of space for the hot air to flow through the bowl without actually "being forced" around the surface area of the weed. When tiny quantities are put in the elbow screen, a better vapour to air ratio is achieved because all the air must go through that screen with the weed and so 100% of the herb is in the air path. Personally, i find i get the best results with packing the cyclone if i pack it almost to the black rubber. Since this is so much less efficient than the elbow pack, i find i rarely do it unless im blowing bags. Also you are very worried abouut the herb flying around...why not just give the weed a little pat down. I actually blow bags with no elbow screen in at all because i find it gets clogged and hinders performance. What i do is fill 3/4 or so full, give it just a gentle tap down, and start on fan 1, then slowly work up to fan 2 and then 3. If u see a piece of weed start moving around, dont increase the fan speed any higher and it shouldnt fly up into the bag. I do get a tiny piece of weed in the bag from time to time, but it cant come out anyways so its not too big of a deal.

Mr. Smoke No More,

Pappy

shmaporist
^ Mr. Smoke > Agree with you but I'll still try his method since the clogged Elbow is a reality with the Cyclone bowl. FWIW/I fill the Cyclone about 40% which come out to about .35g. I get approximately 20 rips on that, just about right for a half day. :p

Pappy,

vaypr8938

hey to each his own mrsmokenomore but to clarify i was talking about using 2 flat screens not the elbow screens :peace:

imo the elbow pack method is clogging up the screen that you are vaping through....since you are loading your contents in elbow which is a crucial part of the path of the vapor. u don't want to clog up the path leading to the elbow in any way or the elbow itself. u want a clear path for the vapor to flow from the heat source to the whip or bag and i personally feel that when u put contents in the elbow screen it can't possibly pull through vapor as easily as if it were completely clear which is what u get when u use my newly dubbed "cage" method.

the cage method is this:
1.) put the flat screen in the bottom of the cyclone bowl as normal
2.) load "contents" on the screen as normal
3.) take a second flat screen and curve it up on the sides.
4.) take the second flat screen and insert it into the top of the cyclone bowl upside down making the "cage"
5.) this is what you want. imagine the "( )" as the bottom and top screens, and the "!!!" as the contents
6.) you want this (!!!!)
7.) vape as usual and enjoy
8.) when you want to stir contents simply use the glass tool to flip the top screen up sideways and reach in with your pinky to pull it out. doesn't burn you i've done it with the glass on the cyclone's outside scorching hot. the inside is surprisingly cool

the cage method not only keeps the contents down near the heat source and not flying up in the cyclone, but it keeps a kind of seal which i find creates a thick, tasty vapor. without the cage, contents inside the cyclone will fly up into the top elbow screen partially blocking but more importantly breaking the seal you had on the bottom where the heat source is. even if you only see a very small amount of contents fly up when you are hitting the whip or using the fan, you know the heat has pushed its way up through that hole without hitting a lot of the contents that surround. the cage however makes the contents stay put, keeping that seal tight.

again this is just something that's worked well for me so i thought i'd share.

vaypr8938,

Pappy

shmaporist
20100915-fk1seqbsecnepq61tk8869kked.jpg

Pappy,

Salty

So, I've finally figured out how to hit the whip properly. Man, does it conserve bud instead of filling bags each time. I use the elbow pack, and bud that doesn't even register .1 g on my scale gets me 10 quality hits at 383F. Then I stir it up, turn the temp up to 401F, and get another decent 5 hits or so. Finally, I've figured out how to draw on the whip, and I dont even use the fan anymore. This thing keeps getting better and better.

Salty,

wolf torn

I have still never blew up a balloon

maybe I'll try it tonight finally

cheers on figuring your ness out

everyone has there own preference...just need to find it

wolf torn,

Salty

Yep, there is definitely a learning curve to it. But once you figure it out, its freakin sweet!

Salty,

Pappy

shmaporist
lowfront said:
I have still never blew up a balloon

maybe I'll try it tonight finally

cheers on figuring your ness out

everyone has there own preference...just need to find it
I blew up one once. That was all I needed! Not that it didn't work. I just felt the vapor was stale, even seconds after it was created. Plus it's much goofier looking than whipping.

Pappy,

ShadowLink12

Activist
My first real vape was the original Extreme, and even though I had trouble believing the EQ would be better, I decided to purchase one. Mainly for the quieter fan and the more attractive appearance (so that I can use the potpourri warmer and have my girlfriend ok with leaving it out all the time) This vape is amazing. Somehow, the hits are much more consistent and flavorful.

I am still trying to figure out the best heat settings. This thread had me believing that I would have to set it higher than my Original Extremes optimal point (190C), but I decided to start at 190C and work up. First I loaded a bag with a few close friends excited to try it out, and at 190C and fan speed 3 it was the thickest bag I have ever seen, the 4 of us were destroyed from 1 bag with the cyclone bowl only about a 1/5 full. Dang was I surprised when I let the unit heat up, set it to 190C, loaded an elbow pack, took a nice long draw....AND PRACTICALLY COUGHED UP A LUNG. It was probably one of the biggest vape rips I have ever taken. Now I have been starting at 180C, and think I could even go lower. I am intrigued to try whip hits with the cyclone bowl loaded instead of elbow packs, since the unit seems to hit so much bigger and harder than my old extreme (I could never get good whip hits without an elbow packs on my v.3)

Anyway, I love it, it and the MFLB are going to be the only tools I need until the VXH Cloud comes along. :peace:

ShadowLink12,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
SL12, its interesting you are getting such thick hits at 180, i find 185 is more or less my cut off temp. Shows the variation in some units.

Vaypr, i def think the flat screen is a better idea, i still just think it is not worth the effort. However i will try it out when i got some time.

Pappy im not sure what your showing in that pic, but i like how clean your elbow is :cool:

Mr. Smoke No More,

Pappy

shmaporist
^ It was shot with the iPhone 4 HDR process and I like the way the photo turned out. Yeah, I like clean glass! :D

Pappy,

tobbert

Hello people

After 15 years of combusting weed i decided to switch to vape. Couse my health condition is dropping. Anyway i want to thank all the people sharing there expierence and knowledge. I really learned alot and all the info saved me some money. Ive ordered the EQ and the LB and i cant wait to stop combusting and improve my life :) Peace!

tobbert,

ShadowLink12

Activist
tobbert said:
Hello people

After 15 years of combusting weed i decided to switch to vape. Couse my health condition is dropping. Anyway i want to thank all the people sharing there expierence and knowledge. I really learned alot and all the info saved me some money. Ive ordered the EQ and the LB and i cant wait to stop combusting and improve my life :) Peace!

That is the winning combo right there, you will have all your vaping needs covered. Enjoy :brow:

ShadowLink12,

The_Reckoning

Just wanted to pay my respects to the Extreme Q. Such a wonderful piece of art.

I just recently discovered the magic of vaporization. I have purchased both a MFLB and an Extreme Q in the past two weeks or so. I feel tons better..

The Theory of Evolution

5c73b2a4.jpg

The_Reckoning,

gim

I like the Vader on the external casing. Going to have to put something there on mine now..

I've been rocking this smaller cyclone bowl for a while now and I really love it. Here in a week the blower will be back and hopefully we can get a second revision of it made with a little bit more tweaking.

gim,

Pappy

shmaporist
#10 @ 210 > That's where I generally am.
On the Cyclone... Just works out that way. :peace:

Pappy,

Shiz

Ordered my EQ yesterday and I'm getting so pumped. It's my first vape. I've never even vaped before, ever. Figured I'd get one of the best units off the bat. I looked at the Buddha and SSV but this seems like a step above those for about the same price. I can get a SSV down the line as a gift if need be. After reading the majority of this thread I'm way more informed.

I'm very interested in buying some custom glass to go with this but I have no clue what fits/works best nor do I have any bubbler experience. I've been a bowl/joint smoker mainly. I've looked at a lot of the pieces on Etny but I need some suggestions on what to buy with a budget of around $100 that would work perfectly with the EQ. I know some of you guys have bongs and bubblers hooked up to yours. What should I get?.

Shiz,

sinkcolinsink

I just ordered my EQ. I've had a MFLB for a few months now, and decided it was time to upgrade to something better! I plan on running the EQ through my Everest Glass 6 arm tree perc bubbler. What kind of adapter do I need to make this happen? Also, any overall tips on using the vape? I've read a few things about 'elbow packing' but I have no idea what that is and I can't seem to find it in the thread.

sinkcolinsink,

Shiz

Wow that's exactly what I've been looking at but it's a Black Leaf ELITE 6 arm tree perc. Thing looks sick but out of stock on grasscity. I'll have to find one but we need the adapter and possibly wider tubing? I might get the tubing from the ssv site as it was recommended in this thread.

Shiz,

hereatlast

Welcome aboard.

Shiz, that question has come up a few times in a couple different threads. My personal recc. is an Ehle, I think its hard to beat the price. On the other hand Esty has some great artists with cheap quality glass: check out the Etsy glass thread in the General Vape section, I think most of the artists you're after are listed there.

Sink, all you need is an H20 adaptor in whatever size GonG joint your piece has. I know some Etsy artists sell these but you can also get them at online vapor-stores. BTW, the elbow piece of the Extreme can be used as a H20 adaptor if you need an 18mm fitting.

hereatlast,
Top Bottom