The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Hey I have an arizer extreme q and I think that the balloon gets you higher and is more efficient. I was wondering if anyone knew differently

As far as efficiency, depends on how you mean that. If you mean amount of extraction, then running the fan (and stirring) until the herb is dark brown and there is just no more vapor, is arguably most efficient. If you mean it in the sense of getting you higher, then like Max said it's because you're getting more vapor; you can get more dense vapor with the whip, and consequently it can get you to your destination faster.

oldiebutgoodie,

Liberty

I over indulged when I first got my Extreme and shot through sooo much herb! Arizer killed my tolerance!! Lol

Tell me about it. I bought mine last year from Amazon and when it arrived I vaped a bowl of mids. I didn't know what to expect effects wise. I could not believe how potent it was. I was still going through less material than traditional methods, but I would vape 2 cyclone bowls over a couple hours. My tolerance was much higher than normal for me (and mine is probably much lower than others). I solved this problem by no longer vaping before evening.

Liberty,

game301

Long time lurker and lover of vaporization, first time poster.

I had the Extreme Q for a while, and it was the best piece I've ever hit, combustion or otherwise, but after a couple small bumps and simply wear and rear (I assume) it stopped functioning. Now I've been without a vaporizer for a few months and combustion has gotten to me, I'm sick of it! I'd like to order another Extreme Q but the lowest price I can find them at is $170.00, while the Q's older sister the V Tower, is only about $115.00.

I don't see much difference between the two besides the fact that the Q has a fan and is capable of filling up bags, comes with a couple extra pieces, and a remote. These features are nice, but when I owned the Q I really only used the whip, the fan only ever came on when friends were over.

So my question to FC is: Is the V Tower just as effective as the extreme Q? For someone that mainly uses the whip with strictly elbow packs (never saw a point to the cyclone bowl cause the elbow kicks so much more ass) is it better for me to save my $70 and get the V Tower or is it somehow worth it to spend the extra money and get another Extreme Q?

Edit: Or perhaps is there another vaporizer that you recommend over the other two in the same price range?

game301,
I'd certainly be more receptive to the V-tower now, having owned an EQ for a little while. 90 per cent of my useage is through a water pipe now. I very rarely blow bags these days, though I still appreciate the ability to do so and occasionally do when friends are over.

Gotvape does price match as low as $150 on the EQ. For me the extra $35 is worth it.
I find the fan invaluable for warming the unit up. Takes the 15-20 minute heat up time to about 5 minutes with the fan. Plus you get the remote, which is always nice (if you don't lose it).

kingofnull,

Kommyknocker

Yep just back from a buddies and all the strangers little faces lit up as usual when you blow a bag(not to mention how fu#ked up it got em all :) I like to make folks happy and would gladly pay the extra for the bag smile ability.
+1 for the remote.

Oh and never enjoyed the whip until I upgraded my tubing.
+1 for good quality tubing.. game changer IME

oldiebutgoodie

. . .
So my question to FC is: Is the V Tower just as effective as the extreme Q? For someone that mainly uses the whip with strictly elbow packs (never saw a point to the cyclone bowl cause the elbow kicks so much more ass) is it better for me to save my $70 and get the V Tower or is it somehow worth it to spend the extra money and get another Extreme Q?

Edit: Or perhaps is there another vaporizer that you recommend over the other two in the same price range?

There have been a lot of internal improvements since the Tower, e.g., nbr of sensors, sensor placement, accuracy in heat setting, better fan, various reliability changes. And then of course new features such as the remote. IIRC the warranty coverage is better now, too. Personally, if talkin' about ~$50 diff, I'd spring for the newest Q.

Re competition at this price point, and given that you're not into bags (then I'd suggest a look at the Herbalaire), then that may be the DaBuddha or its more expensive cousin the SSV (I've seen the DB on Amazon for ~$140, the SSV for ~$210). You appear to like power hitting (elbow-pack) with the whip. The 7th Floor vapes hit very strong. Judging from posts here, it seems fairly evenly divided between those who think that the elbow-pack just gets the Q to the DB/SSV level, and others who think the DB/SSV is better. There are a couple of threads here which compare them; try a boolean search.

oldiebutgoodie,
Yep just back from a buddies and all the strangers little faces lit up as usual when you blow a bag(not to mention how fu#ked up it got em all :) I like to make folks happy and would gladly pay the extra for the bag smile ability.
+1 for the remote.

Oh and never enjoyed the whip until I upgraded my tubing.
+1 for good quality tubing.. game changer IME

Yeah it's just so much easier passing the bag than getting everyone to huddle around the table/desk and pass a 3' whip around.

And yeah, the upgraded tubing makes all the difference. The amount of times I nearly toppled the EQ as a result of the stiff PVC they included...

kingofnull,

Kommyknocker

I think I must possess the most careful manhands as even when I had the stock stuff I never had one scare, be it elbow, cyclone or unit related. About 3 Oz through it too so Pah Lenty! Of opportunity.

..and yeah the team table huddle seems odd to me too.
Here's a thought I had(I have lots of these, anyone else get that?) Lol
There is a GonG Y adaptor on PV and I wondered abput the viablity of attaching two whips.
If you could utilize a method to keep the cyclone doing its job lower down then passing would be 'less' frequent(if more than two participants)
Unsure how double hitting would work.. or not.
Would sticking you finger over one whip allow little enough drag for decent vapor hit for the other guy/gal?
Switch hitting?
Tell you what a 420 version of musical chairs where the rush is to hit a multi whip packed to the f#kin hilt Extreme! There'd be some stupidly elevated vaporists! :)

Kommyknocker,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Unsure how double hitting would work.. or not.
Would sticking you finger over one whip allow little enough drag for decent vapor hit for the other guy/gal?
Switch hitting?

DualHoseWands_1.jpg

As you said, the Y adapter from PV with two EQ elbows and use your thumb. Or this hose + Y adapter.

Liberty

Long time lurker and lover of vaporization, first time poster.

I had the Extreme Q for a while, and it was the best piece I've ever hit, combustion or otherwise, but after a couple small bumps and simply wear and rear (I assume) it stopped functioning. Now I've been without a vaporizer for a few months and combustion has gotten to me, I'm sick of it! I'd like to order another Extreme Q but the lowest price I can find them at is $170.00, while the Q's older sister the V Tower, is only about $115.00.

I don't see much difference between the two besides the fact that the Q has a fan and is capable of filling up bags, comes with a couple extra pieces, and a remote. These features are nice, but when I owned the Q I really only used the whip, the fan only ever came on when friends were over.

I have a V-tower. I've had it for about a year. I think it's a fantastic vaporizer. If you have the money to spend, I would consider trying something like the DaBuddha or the Silver Surfer. But, if you like the Q and mainly use the whip, then the V-Tower is a great choice.

Liberty,

L7WEENIE

Ordered mine today from PIU. So stoked, I'm hoping I'll like my EQ just as much as my Solo. Was going to order from gotvape, price matched to $155, then threw in the replacement screen kit for $9, and with tax it came out to ~$179 with the free 1-5 day shipping. So I knew that if I ordered from PIU there wouldn't be tax and I'd get 3 day shipping for free anyways. Being impatient, and a return customer for PIU, I chose PIU over gotvape. I'll gladly pay the extra $3 for quicker shipping, now the worst part begins, refreshing the tracking page until it says out for delivery!

Thanks to this forum, I feel I made the best purchase for myself. Got this mainly for the versatility as well as efficiency. Looking forward to finally having a legit desktop vape.

L7WEENIE,

Kommyknocker

Ordered mine today from PIU. So stoked, I'm hoping I'll like my EQ just as much as my Solo. Was going to order from gotvape, price matched to $155, then threw in the replacement screen kit for $9, and with tax it came out to ~$179 with the free 1-5 day shipping. So I knew that if I ordered from PIU there wouldn't be tax and I'd get 3 day shipping for free anyways. Being impatient, and a return customer for PIU, I chose PIU over gotvape. I'll gladly pay the extra $3 for quicker shipping, now the worst part begins, refreshing the tracking page until it says out for delivery!

Thanks to this forum, I feel I made the best purchase for myself. Got this mainly for the versatility as well as efficiency. Looking forward to finally having a legit desktop vape.

Welcome aboard! I did it the other way.. EQ then Solo and love them both. Must say though even though the solo heats and is ready to use nearly instantly I still use my EQ 9 times out of ten.
If you haven't already work your way through this thread. It'll take you a while but you'll thank yourself in the end.
Enjoy.

Kommyknocker,
Reactions: harmudge

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Why smoke and die, when you can vape and fly?
OK whippersnappers :whip: . . . my :2c:

As usual, sticks gives good advice. The Q's flexibility is its greatest strength. There are indeed many variables at work, from the vaporizer to the setup to the material to the user style. The good news is that you can find a method that works just right for you, the bad news is that with all the nuances it usually takes some experimentation to find it (but it's fun trying) . . .

IME there's no gain to using the elbow pack with the bag, if anything it works against you. The cyclone is designed in particular for the bag. The tight mesh elbow screen creates back pressure into the bowl; this is what creates the "cyclone" effect of swirling herb, the more thorough air/material contact provides better extraction. Which fan level works best is a function of the herb characteristics (e.g., density, dryness) and the size of load. Fan 3 will blow thru a smaller load of dry herb; you won't get good circulation and will need to stir several times. But fan 1 can't handle a fully loaded bowl. I usually load .2-.3 and use fan 2, with a couple stirs. At 190C the vapor will be thick, the second bag just moderate, the third bag whispy thin but even so there are still some goodies in there. I might increase the temp on the 2nd & 3rd bags, but I never go above 210C and my abv is always dark brown.

With the whip and the cyclone, allow the bowl to get hot and the herb to thoroughly warm up; I stir at least once before hitting. Some turn the Q on at a high temp just at first to accelerate heating the glass. If the herb is dry (not powdery) and not ground too fine, and the bowl not overloaded, you should get the cyclone effect with the whip, too. (For me, that's .15-2g) Pulling hard or sharp, again depending on the herb and grind, can result in the elbow screen getting clogged. Taking a long slow even pull will give a nice cloud. It's useful to see how variations in technique work. From there one can graduate to the elbow-pack.

About the thickness of the cloud . . . first, of course comparing vapor to smoke is apples-oranges. Smoke will always be more dense, it contains gases and residuals like tars & ash that don't exist in vapor. Water can filter the thicker particles, but a lot if not most still gets into your body and those nasty additives actually affect the high. With combustion you not only get an "all at once" effect, the "all" includes compounds (benzenes) which while adding a slight glue-sniffing lift, are also a detriment to your health. Vaporizing in contrast is only "all at once" if you are a real power hitter using a high temp, and it still won't include the benzene effect. It's more gradual - and it can be controlled for different effect one session to the next. Another consideration is absorption. IIRC even with smoke the absorption of canniboids is <50%. A huge thick cloud that the user cannot pull down deep and hold results in a lot of actives being lost with exhale. There is no "thickest = best" automatic rule for everyone. We're all different. For those having a hard time coming from combustion, I suggest starting at a high temp to approximate the smoking experience and then work down from there. But I think the consensus is that it is much better to start vaporizing as an entirely new experience with a blank slate, avoiding comparisons to combustion, which means starting at lower temps experimenting with technique, learning the vape, then increasing the temp, until you find your own personal sweet spot.

Enjoy the journey of discovery. :myday:

My first vaporiser was an Inavap. I should have known better, but at that time (about 3 years ago), I was unaware of what else was out there (other than the primitive Ubie). Until I discovered the existence of other vapes, especially portables. I soon bought an iolite, followed by an MFLB, Arizer Solo and, recently, an Inhalater INH004. They each have their pros and cons, and I love 'em all.

Since then, I've been led to believe that a good plug-in is far more effective than any portable. So I started reading/researching, and found more positive reviews/comments about the Extreme Q, than anything else in the same price range.

(If I decide to buy one, it will be from a local, Australian online retailer, Australian Vaporizers, whose past service has always been beyond excellent.) :tup:

Hai_Rypo_T'head,

AcADIeN

Sylvain
My first vaporiser was an Inavap. I should have known better, but at that time (about 3 years ago), I was unaware of what else was out there (other than the primitive Ubie). Until I discovered the existence of other vapes, especially portables. I soon bought an iolite, followed by an MFLB, Arizer Solo and, recently, an Inhalater INH004. They each have their pros and cons, and I love 'em all.

Since then, I've been led to believe that a good plug-in is far more effective than any portable. So I started reading/researching, and found more positive reviews/comments about the Extreme Q, than anything else in the same price range.

(If I decide to buy one, it will be from a local, Australian online retailer, Australian Vaporizers, whose past service has always been beyond excellent.) :tup:

have my vap for 1 year and a half now (2 years in December), heavy user, it still work perfectly, I broke the glasses couple time, but ebay always have those part for 10 $ or less. I really can't live without this now. It's the best investment that I did, better and any glass pipe/bong that I bought.

Barry O

Hey guys I've read through the majority of pages here about the Q but I've never posted. I just got mine in the mail yesterday! I got the chance to use it twice and I loved it, I just have one question: If you use the elbow pack method for the whip, how dense exactly should the vapor be? I had mine set at 210 for the first few draws, then gradually increased it up to 230 until I thought it was done. But my herb is not as brown as I had expected it to be, it still has a hint of green and is mostly a really light brown color. Am I doing something wrong?

Barry O,

oldiebutgoodie

Hey guys I've read through the majority of pages here about the Q but I've never posted. I just got mine in the mail yesterday! I got the chance to use it twice and I loved it, I just have one question: If you use the elbow pack method for the whip, how dense exactly should the vapor be? I had mine set at 210 for the first few draws, then gradually increased it up to 230 until I thought it was done. But my herb is not as brown as I had expected it to be, it still has a hint of green and is mostly a really light brown color. Am I doing something wrong?

Don't pack too tight, just enough so the herb doesn't fall out. Gently stir at least once. And you need a strong pull; you'll know if you're getting a fairly dense cloud.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: kingofnull

Kommyknocker

For elbows I fine grind as I find a more even vape that way. Light brown is kinda what I take my herb to as once I dont get clouds (pretty much two rips max, unless using oil or kief) that stuff goes into the holding tub before getting abv jarred for later use. This way I don't end up pulling airy rips, and ensure my abv keeps more of the lower temp released actives for later use in cooking or concentrates. My elbows are never taken above 215C which relatively speaking is about 195 - 205C.
Yeah and one stir for me too.

Edit: Should mention that to achieve my desired elbow pack grind a take a bud and sit it on top of my xbox kinect as this gives off a constant gentle heat drying out the bud so its fairly crispy. Just my two cents. Works great for me though.

Kommyknocker,

Barry O

If you pack it loosely won't it just fall into the cyclone bowl when you attach the elbow to the unit? I took probably 8 to 10 pulls from the elbow pack because I felt that each one wasn't doing the trick. Should I be packing it differently? I just used my pinky to lightly press into the elbow screen so that the herb stays in place; is this wrong?

Barry O,

Kommyknocker

Sorry I misread your post thinking you were running it through a water piece. You pinky press should be enough. Remember with the whip its either a series of short and sharp intakes or long slow draws. The act of sucking on the whip should hold the herb in the elbow.

Kommyknocker,

Barry O

So basically you're saying it comes down to how you draw from the whip? When you finish an elbow pack should the abv still look slightly green/yellow or a deep brown? I feel like it worked great but I would like to make sure I do it right so I can get the most from my vaporizer and my herb

Barry O,

Kommyknocker

Yeah just bear in mind to the air taking the path of least resistance a 'hotspot' exists where your herb will get hit by a more direct current of hot air therefor vaping that part more than at the edges. This can be reduced by allowing your unpacked elbow piece to heat up(the fan is great for this) and then letting your herb stew a little before hitting it.. turn the fan off for this though and let the glass and natural upward movement of hot air to achieve this. Abv can be taken to whatever color you prefer. As long as vapor is coming you are getting actives of some level.
Oh and dont worry about the stewing baking off many actives as only when drawing through the whip does any substantial amount of vapor stripping occur.

Kommyknocker,

Barry O

It seemed like the bud vaped very evenly, so I dont think I have to worry about that. When using the whip I keep my thumb over the nozzle of it just for good measure, but should I have the fan on while using it? I had the fan off then switched it to 1 just as i pulled through the whip because I figured this would help the hit be deeper and thicker. I guess Im just wondering how people could clear an elbow pack in less than ten hits, because it seems like mine were a lot of air with the vapor.

Barry O,

oldiebutgoodie

It seemed like the bud vaped very evenly, so I dont think I have to worry about that. When using the whip I keep my thumb over the nozzle of it just for good measure, but should I have the fan on while using it? I had the fan off then switched it to 1 just as i pulled through the whip because I figured this would help the hit be deeper and thicker. I guess Im just wondering how people could clear an elbow pack in less than ten hits, because it seems like mine were a lot of air with the vapor.

Sounds like you may need to experiment with grind, pack, and technique. I'm not being facetious, it's just that this is much more art than science. For example, note Kommy's comment re drying the herb; if your herb is not sufficiently dry (or wasn't cured well) the vapor will be much thinner because it will contain evaporated water. Personally, I always go for thoroughly brown ABV which IME requires a little stir/repack. Kommy's note about how you pull is also important; it takes some force. IIRC most here only take ~3 hits off an elbow-pack. Shortening the whip >12" will help some, too.

But let me reiterate a suggestion made by the venerable stickstones a few pages back. Put the elbow-pack aside for the time being. Use the whip with the cyclone instead. That's the best way to really get to know your machine and to get your whip technique down. Then graduate to the elbow-pack. Learning the in's/out's of vaping, and any new vape, takes some time and patience. You'll get there.

oldiebutgoodie,

harmudge

Good advice there from obg and kommy, for you Barry.

I was in the same situation as you just the other week...I knew there had to be better results than what I was getting, and was frustrated...I listened to what the guys above and others, were saying to me and gave it a little thought...and I'm pleased to say I have just had my first few days of really satisfying vaping...:tup:

harmudge,
Top Bottom