The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

NewSchoolExplorer

WOw, thank you guys for the tremendous help and input. I have had the DBV in the past but was not as knowledgeable about vaporizing and sadly I can not remember how well the hit was. I might be waiting for the VXC as I like the no drag thick vapor and ease. I like simplicity on the daily and really like the design idea of the cloud. Thank you for the un-baised and honest imputs.

BTW that tubes full of thick clouds :D haha

NewSchoolExplorer,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Oh, as soon as I've started to like my EQ again I've broke my modded cyclone bowl. Fell off table when hot. It is still somewhat usable, only some of the female GonG is shattered (still can get airtight fit), but I'm getting the tuff bowl. I'll mod it again and it will be perfect. This one was bit wrong as I drilled it too much. Will be more careful with the new one.

Seek,

Calikush 9

I have had the Vtower for about 3 months now and its so silent. I vape daily and Keep it running for at least 8 hours off and on. It does take some getting used to, but if you let it heat up for 10 mins you will get good solid hits.

Calikush 9,

Ganjafly

hello with your modification can you obtain more vapor or only for a fast heating ?Don,t you risk to burning spots in your bowl . I tested my alternative no-elbow packing methods give a good hit also at 180 c see my pics.

Ganjafly,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Talking about the domed screen mod in the cyclone bowl? It enables fast pull without dislocating herbs, also more uniform cooking than classic cyclone/elbow pack. Rotating the GonG joint while hitting uniforms it even more. But still needs stirring, cooks fast. Also provides fat hits like elbow pack, mayber even bigger and more of them, because elbow pack stops producing good vapor half-way the session and tends to fall down then. No worries about this with mod. I can have thick "uniform" (for an EQ) hits to the very end of the session until it get nicely chocolate brown.
My ABV from this modded SSV style technique is looking the best I've ever seen. By eye exactly like these VXC ABV's. But VXC does it without stirring in less hits.

Seek,

Ganjafly

ok this is my project that I have yet posted before . it's analog to the function apart rotating effect of yours but it's different glass and we need a glass blower, mine has disappeared at now.in theory this works well and you can connect any tube or glass bubbler|bong directly whit a cork.
Sketch28313504.jpg

trichomefox

I see some people are talking about using silicone to replace the Extreme Q lines - should I do that?

Also - I'm looking for a way to chill the vapor but instead of connecting to the vape, I will just connect the bag (it's easier for me to medicate timing the bag and I use concentrates usually). I saw some plastic looking containers with black tops in this thread and for sale, though in Europe. I was wondering if there is a seller of these water chillers in the US or should I just make one? Or should I go with glass? I am looking around but really knew to all this stuff.

Also wondering what the best way is to use a glass and concentrates with the Extreme Q. So far I'm just using melts and clogging the filters lol. Which is going to be a lot of cleaning. ><

trichomefox,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
I see some people are talking about using silicone to replace the Extreme Q lines - should I do that?

Also - I'm looking for a way to chill the vapor but instead of connecting to the vape, I will just connect the bag (it's easier for me to medicate timing the bag and I use concentrates usually). I saw some plastic looking containers with black tops in this thread and for sale, though in Europe. I was wondering if there is a seller of these water chillers in the US or should I just make one? Or should I go with glass? I am looking around but really knew to all this stuff.

Also wondering what the best way is to use a glass and concentrates with the Extreme Q. So far I'm just using melts and clogging the filters lol. Which is going to be a lot of cleaning. ><

Many users use silicone tubing instead of the stock PVC because it is much easier to work with. The stock ID is 5/16" but given silicone's elasticity, tubing that is +/- 1/16" ID is OK, too. I bought 25' from Amazon, much cheaper that way, enough to last for a long time. IMO should be medical grade.

For chilling the vapor: I use a Headford inline bubbler with both the whip and the bag. Great for both moisturizing and chilling. The Headford has a standard 18mm GonG female joint. With the bag, after it is filled I just pull the glass elbow off the cyclone, remove the screen, and slip the elbow into the Headford. I have a small tupperware bowl that the Headford fits into nicely; I put ice in it to keep the Headford icy cold through a longer bag sipping session.

I don't use concentrates, so can't speak to that but others here do.

oldiebutgoodie,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I use the MFLB silicone whip with the EQ. Totally better than that PVC. Flexible, nice to touch, tasty.

EDIT: So I've got my new TUFF BOWL. Quite impressed that I've successfuly managed to get it the same day I broke my cyclone. Look great. The silicone tube fits tight leaving some air bubble between the silicone and the glass. That will hardly break. I'm on college now, so don't have tool to mod it. But It will work unmodded too.

EDIT2: Wow, I think I will not mod it. And give it more tries this way. Seems like inverse cyclone bowl works amazingly. Not like classic way where it is super airy and moves herbs out of the heat. This way, if they move, they move into hot air stream,, it hits them first and the the screen, two sides of the cycole switched. Everything is inversed. But to the better :)

Seek,

TheOtherSideVapes

Vaporizer Enthusiast & Retailer
Retailer
a20791b136d811127047a6_l.jpg
a20791b136d81189001d46_l.jpg

Here are some pics of the New Midnight Chrome Arizer Extreme Q. Please ignore the Vape Case that's in the pic. I snagged this pic off my website, and didn't really have time to photoshop a new one for this post.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I didn't see anything about this on the website. There is a new version of the Extreme Q out on the market, and it's got a a new color now. The new color is called Midnight Chrome, and it's a sort of blackish color. There were a number of upgrades to the unit: the temperature is now adjustable in 1 degree increments (instead of 5 degrees), a warranty card is now included with your purchase, a number of sensors have been added or upgraded, and a number of internal components have been changed out for higher quality parts. The unit is not called 5.0 or anything, there is no number that designates the newer model. I spoke directly with Arizer regarding these changes, so I can assure you that the information is accurate.

Taylor

TheOtherSideVapes,

vape4life

Banned for life
I bought one of these new 2012 midnight chrome models (have since sold it to Calvin), and i've discussed it already before. In short, they must have been experimenting with colours because I used to have this colour back in the day, but also have had their "lighter" colour as well.

Yes, 1 degree increments which I found useless and actually quite annoying. I did not receive any sort of warranty card (I bought from KJ Rockwise). As for the sensors or component upgrades, well that just depends on how much you believe it I guess.

Nothing else was different. The ONLY thing I WANTED to be different was a power supply that didn't whine and hiss (like my Solo AC power supply).

Still, for the price a kick ass vape especially for your first one. It worked VERY well, but I just couldn't handle whips and bags anymore.

vape4life,

TheOtherSideVapes

Retailer
I'll talk to Arizer and see if I can get more details on the internal changes on the new Extreme Q. If I hear anything more detailed, I'll let you guys know! Also, I haven't heard or seen anything new on the V-Tower, so for now at least, I believe that unit will remain unchanged.

*UPDATE*: I sent another e-mail asking for more information, but it seems they weren't really willing to divulge much of anything... I was told that some internal components were switched out to components of higher quality, and that sensors were both added/changed to improve their function and quality. I also asked if there were any changes planned on the V-Tower, and was told this will be staying the same for the time being.

So who wants to sacrifice their Extreme Q so we can do a tear-down and investigate any possible component changes?? Lol...

Taylor

TheOtherSideVapes,
Reactions: vape4life

oldiebutgoodie

I'll talk to Arizer and see if I can get more details on the internal changes on the new Extreme Q. If I hear anything more detailed, I'll let you guys know! Also, I haven't heard or seen anything new on the V-Tower, so for now at least, I believe that unit will remain unchanged.

*UPDATE*: I sent another e-mail asking for more information, but it seems they weren't really willing to divulge much of anything... I was told that some internal components were switched out to components of higher quality, and that sensors were both added/changed to improve their function and quality.

IMO a fair speculation would be that if the Q's design had changed substantially, Arizer would treat it as a product version update (i.e., "5"). It would only make sense to get marketing leverage from that, if possible, to stimulate new demand and to recover the cost of the improvements. That Arizer is being so low-key about it would seem to indicate that this is a quality tweak with a new feature thrown in, more like a modest "refresh". Switching out components to higher quality doesn't change functionality, mostly it reduces Arizer warranty cost. The additional sensor/change in placement with the associated switch to the heat setting in 1 degree increments is the only feature (I'm not counting the cosmetic change) that affects the user experience. Ostensibly this results in greater accuracy, although in this thread at least I don't recall a lot of complaints about a lack of that. I think it's generally understood that vape temps are not exactly precise as far as actual vaporization in the bowl. So I don't get the 1 degree increments; what's the value? IMO it's rather meaningless, and maybe even an annoyance. Is is just a marketing gimmick?

That said, I remain a big fan of the Q. While this product refresh isn't enough to really affect market dynamics much, it is nice to see that Arizer is still investing in the product, albeit modestly. At it's price point it's still a great dual-purpose machine - and no doubt a nice cash-cow for Arizer.

oldiebutgoodie,

TheOtherSideVapes

Retailer
IMO a fair speculation would be that if the Q's design had changed substantially, Arizer would treat it as a product version update (i.e., "5"). It would only make sense to get marketing leverage from that, if possible, to stimulate new demand and to recover the cost of the improvements. That Arizer is being so low-key about it would seem to indicate that this is a quality tweak with a new feature thrown in, more like a modest "refresh". Switching out components to higher quality doesn't change functionality, mostly it reduces Arizer warranty cost. The additional sensor/change in placement with the associated switch to the heat setting in 1 degree increments is the only feature (I'm not counting the cosmetic change) that affects the user experience. Ostensibly this results in greater accuracy, although in this thread at least I don't recall a lot of complaints about a lack of that. I think it's generally understood that vape temps are not exactly precise as far as actual vaporization in the bowl. So I don't get the 1 degree increments; what's the value? IMO it's rather meaningless, and maybe even an annoyance. Is is just a marketing gimmick?

That said, I remain a big fan of the Q. While this product refresh isn't enough to really affect market dynamics much, it is nice to see that Arizer is still investing in the product, albeit modestly. At it's price point it's still a great dual-purpose machine - and no doubt a nice cash-cow for Arizer.

Well first of all, in all reality, there is no such thing as the Q3.0, 4.0, 5.0, etc. According to the response I received from Arizer, these version designations are simply what people on the internet refer to them as. To be honest, I had no clue about this, until they told me this in an email recently. So no matter how major any redesign is, they are not going to start calling this the Q5.0.

As far as your speculation that the "refresh" is simply to reduce Arizer warranty cost, I would have to disagree with that a bit as well (at least until we actually know what the specific changes to the device are). I've sold literally hundreds and hundreds of Extreme Qs and I've only had like two or three returned to me for warranty issues. The device is extremely reliable, so I'm not sure it would even be worth Arizer's time or money to bother with trying to change individual components out merely for the purpose of trying to reduce their costs of warranty service/replacement. Typically the only failures you will see from an Arizer product, are related to the power cord/adapter. Keep in mind that the warranty is three years, so any improvement in reliability beyond that point would be much appreciated by customers in my opinion.

I personally don't see any potential benefit out of having the 1 degree increments, instead of the 5 degree increments. However if sensors were changed inside the unit (for the better), I do see this being a benefit to customers. Perhaps more accurate temperature read-outs and regulation could be expected form the newer units... If so, I do consider this to be a worthwhile improvement to the device.

If you have an Extreme Q already, would I think it's worth upgrading to this unit? Absolutely not... However I do appreciate that they are still trying to make the product better, despite how long it's been on the market. I don't expect this to boost sales for Arizer, but innovation over time will be required for them to maintain their market share. I just really wish they would try to make some sort of improvement on their design of the balloon system. However I know for a fact that they make great money selling replacement glass parts, so I'm afraid their motivation to do so is minimal. Even if they introduced some kind of valve system as an upgrade accessory, I think it would be a great addition to the Extreme Q, and make it more competitive to the almighty Volcano.

Taylor

TheOtherSideVapes,

oldiebutgoodie

TheOtherSideVapes -

Your comments are all well taken, and I defer to you given your considerably greater experience with the product. And thanks for the reminder re the version numbers; you're of course right, I had forgotten that.

My remark about warranty cost was admittedly overly abbreviated and didn't covey what I meant it to; my bad. Essentially what I was getting at was that a reason might be to reduce Arizer's cost in the product. That could be due to lower components costs being available, greater longevity in a new component alternative, a new component facilitating lower cost in manufacturing, and similar reasons. My main point was that manufacturers make these changes for legitimate internal reasons, often related to cost, and the customer doesn't necessary see a direct benefit, but still that's perfectly fine. After all, Arizer should be able to earn maximum margin the market will bare. Sorry for the flubbed wording.

Fully agree re adding a value mechanism for the bag. Surprising they don't do that.

As far as the sensors are concerned, on that one I'm not so sure. I suppose based on customer feedback Arizer might have felt that more accurate settings were necessary. Or maybe in the broader marketplace with today's competition, and to attract new buyers many of whom will probably be new to vaping, it was felt this was a valuable addition. Or both, and more. But as a practical matter sensor readings are always approximations of the actual vaping temperature, and for that matter, the temp changes substantially as it moves through the bowl and material such that it exits much lower. So I don't see this as a significant functional improvement unless previously it was really off (I'm aware this was an issue with previous generations, but I know of no reason to think that with the current Q), but I do see its marketing value. Whatever, like you I'm also glad Arizer did it.

Thanks for your comments and clarification.

oldiebutgoodie,

TheOtherSideVapes

Retailer
Not that nice IMO. Try to click on a Solo and see what you get. :doh:

I'm pretty sure I just went on their site the other day, and that definitely wasn't updated to that new website. Definitely a lot nicer than the old one. I'm sure they just need a little bit of time before they get the Solo page up. It's tough to make major changes like that in one day without messing up the traffic in the store and website for a bit. So they're probably going to get the rest of the site up and running (including a solo page), in a short period of time.

TheOtherSideVapes,

JustOnCloud9

Ate the Kumo Kumo no mi
I used to have an EQ. A friend of mine recently bought one recently. I thought I should share what we did. We put my other friend's fatty vapor tamer with the elbow screen in the male end and stuck it ontop of the cyclone bowl. Basically hitting it like a Vapexhale cloud

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Needless to say hitting it with the fan setting on 1 gives you pulverizing hits. This set up gives MUCH bigger hits than inhaling through the whip, which is pretty good method itself when elbow packing for big hits. IMO it also delivers bigger and more satisfying hits than the silver surfer with the glycerin tube connected to the whip. Peace.

EDIT: I can only imagine how colossal the hits would have been if we had packed the cyclone bowl in addition to the elbow screen. My guess is that it would have been something along this scale....

JustOnCloud9,

oldiebutgoodie

Not that nice IMO. Try to click on a Solo and see what you get. :doh:

The site isn't finished; the online store isn't up for any of the products. But sure is a helluva lot better than what's been out there. That said, I find it a bit frustrating that the "27 upgrades" to the Q aren't indicated at all other than what is implied on the Features page (the precision temp control). Given that TheOtherSideVapes wasn't given specifics upon request, that info might not be forthcoming. I guess the "upgrades" is just meant to reinforce a "new, improved" marketing message for prospective new buyers; Arizer isn't marketing this as an upgrade for current owners.

oldiebutgoodie,

dannkk

I've had my Extreme(older than Q, but the same), for a couple years now. Thing is awesome, but recently I got myself a nice little perc bong, and wasn't to impressed with the hits I was getting. Started looking into what other vapes whips were like, and looking through here at what some people have done.

I figured out issue. It's the size of the hole in the cyclone bowl. It's so small that it only lets a small stream of hot air go through the herb. I saw someone here shove a screen through the hole so the herb is in the full stream of air, and this works ok, but I tore up a screen right away doing it, and you can't really fit much herb in there.

I just ordered parts from Arizer, cuz I needed a new heater cover. Had the old heater cover that was fused to a cyclone bowl, so I decided to try taking out the dremel and modding the cyclone. It took a while, but I was able to widen the hole quite a bit. The pieces even came apart after a bit of grinding. So, now, the hole in the center of the cyclone bowl, is the same size as the hole in the heater cover and elbow pieces.

It works so much better. I see people talking about milky bong hits and everything, but you really don't need anything special for that. For those youtube videos and stuff, people have got their units turned all the way up to 230+ C. At that temp, any vape will give you good hits. With the modded cyclone, my bong will make me choke at 185c. It even vapes a lot more even. The screen full of herb used to look like someone was trying to burn it with a magnifying glass, now it all keeps the same color and is just a little bit darker in the center.

I'm not telling you all to start grinding away on your cyclones. Suppose it could be dangerous, and you don't want to mess up parts that you need. I only did this because I had two others that I could use if I destroyed this one. Just wanted to let anyone that's unhappy with how their Arizer vape works, to look into other whips that may be designed better. I'm thinking of just trying a female/female connector and get rid of the cyclone altogether.

Might post some pics tomorrow if people are interested.

dannkk,

u bwade wunner

The EQ is a smashing home vape.Here is what I did to improve things a little:lol:

The issue for me was the heat source is too far away from the material and I figured out pretty soon.The heater on the EQ is steady and very powerful.Theres not much heatloss during use.So to improve the EQ experience I modded mine just like Seek way back.Then I went a little further.The idea was to combine the EQ with a LSV wand for an all glass airpath.In the end I moved onto a smaller indoor vape for stealth reasons.The EQ surfaces now and again.It works really well.

ok a few photos

i raised the heater cover to allow the elbow screen to sit inside the gong.material is trapped between the two screens and sits very close to the ceramic element.you adjust youre temps a little to compensate
20120427134233.jpg

below Here is the double screen setup:tup: material is held inside just like that twobit vape the cloud:)

20120427134245.jpg

below this is a view of the the screens down through the fully opened cyclone bowl.I ve used a tuffbowl and curled over the silicone sleeve on the tuff bowl so it sits in the chamber around the heater cover.It supports the heater cover when in use.The heater cover is still surprisingly firm even though i ve lifted it.the silicone just helps to hold it really firm.It adds stability.

20120427134304.jpg

below here is how it looks when armed.The rolled up silicone on the tuffbowl holds the raised heater cover steady in the EQ

20120427134313.jpg

below here are the the two pieces that get hit by the steady heat from the EQ.sorry about the dirty bowl:D

20120427140110.jpg

This was me playing about and I m posting a few pics..If you want to do this pls get someone qualified to do it.I dont wanna be responsible for youre mishaps during youre modding adventures.Cheers and as always take Care!and play safe.

Top Bottom