The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Tim

Karma, I hear a whistle/whine with mine, but it's very quiet. Definitely does not drown out TV or music.

Tim,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Karma said:
Have been using this for the last few months now and freaking love it.

Except for one thing...

The heating unit makes an extremely high-pitched whine that requires tapping or shutting off the unit to stop. I am now on my 3rd Extreme-Q that does this and it's really unfortunate because everything else about it is perfect. Once it starts, you HAVE to turn it off as it cuts through any TV, etc. on in the background.

I've searched online and skimmed through this thread and it really doesn't seem like a common thing. So not sure how I have had 3 units that do this :\

Ideas / experiences?

There have been reports of this before, but they aren't common.

One reason that a power supply whines is dirty electricity. If you plugged it in behind some line conditioning that would confirm it. I suspect this might be your problem because you said it's happened to three power supplies in a row.

pakalolo,

vape4life

Banned for life
I had that problem with 2 EQ's... i guess it's common.

Karma said:
Have been using this for the last few months now and freaking love it.

Except for one thing...

The heating unit makes an extremely high-pitched whine that requires tapping or shutting off the unit to stop. I am now on my 3rd Extreme-Q that does this and it's really unfortunate because everything else about it is perfect. Once it starts, you HAVE to turn it off as it cuts through any TV, etc. on in the background.

I've searched online and skimmed through this thread and it really doesn't seem like a common thing. So not sure how I have had 3 units that do this :\

Ideas / experiences?

vape4life,
Well I'm furious. I was biding on the extreme w battery and my sniping program just dropped a ball I really wanted to vape out of. I got it literally just for this auction, and it let's me be outbid by 2.50. I hope it went to a forum member at least.

charliedontsurf,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
sharkvszombie299 said:
Wanted to send my Q in for repairs but a friend tells me canadian post is on strike.....great

Over on the Solo thread I thought it saw it mentioned that UPS can be used, maybe that's an option.

oldiebutgoodie,

al bundy

Vaporist
Ok I've been looking at the v tower,I don't need the bag and I figure there less to go wrong with no fan
will the v tower preform like the eq as far as using the whip, elbow pack?
Can you adjust the temp on the tower like on the EQ?
I figure for $100 it's worth it as a home vape only.
I search for v tower and nothing came up so I asked here.

al bundy,

oldiebutgoodie

al bundy said:
Ok I've been looking at the v tower,I don't need the bag and I figure there less to go wrong with no fan

Dunno how you searched. No matter. AFAIK (I only have used the Q) the tower also works with the bag and has a fan; perhaps there was an even earlier version sans fan/bag (?). You'll notice the thread title is "Extreme Vaporizer aka V-Tower Extreme," from early '08. If memory serves, the refinements in the Q included being more quiet, better temp sensors, and the readout being changed (this one is important to understand). I think there were a few other improvements as well, but I don't remember what they are. Oh, and one detail you may want to check into since the tower is no longer manufactured, is the warranty coverage; that conceivably could depend upon who the seller is.

Anyway, here are the threads you're looking for:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=12
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=32

oldiebutgoodie,

chucku

Charles Urbane
oldiebutgoodie said:
al bundy said:

Dunno how you searched. No matter. AFAIK (I only have used the Q) the tower also works with the bag and has a fan; perhaps there was an even earlier version sans fan/bag (?). You'll notice the thread title is "Extreme Vaporizer aka V-Tower Extreme," from early '08. If memory serves, the refinements in the Q included being more quiet, better temp sensors, and the readout being changed (this one is important to understand). I think there were a few other improvements as well, but I don't remember what they are. Oh, and one detail you may want to check into since the tower is no longer manufactured, is the warranty coverage; that conceivably could depend upon who the seller is.

I have the E 3.0. I can confirm the meaningful difference between the E and the VT is the VT has no fan and is not bag or forced vapor capable. It also may or may not work with the remote. For unassisted whip use it is functionally identical to the E 3.0.

chucku,

oldiebutgoodie

chucku said:
I have the E 3.0. I can confirm the meaningful difference between the E and the VT is the VT has no fan and is not bag or forced vapor capable. It also may or may not work with the remote. For unassisted whip use it is functionally identical to the E 3.0.

Thx for the clarification. Do we have a thread for that unit for good ol' Al?

oldiebutgoodie,

al bundy

Vaporist
oldiebutgoodie said:
al bundy said:

thanks I searched using "v tower" never punched in extreme

Any way I've seen them advertised as newest model
and the tower does not have a fan or remote.
ThAnks for links. i also see that Arizer has the tower on there site for $ 199. so its the same as the Extreme except for the remote, fan/bag feature.

vapenow also has the newest Tower.

al bundy,

Vessel

Whats up with this high pitch whining sound people are reporting ??? If you by chance mean the faint electrical buzz when it's on and in idol, that's normal. I had emailed azier to ask; that would suck to get the EQ more than once only to have problems, in that case getting it from a legit retailer is a ++, or are their units doing this too ?

Personally I would just go for the EQ 4.0 over the tower. After "having" to use only the mflb for like 3 days, coming home to the EQ is a real nice, smooth, efficient, clean, tingly, awesome treat. I don't know much about the tower except the fan is louder, the parts in the EQ 4.0 are improved, and there's three sensor type things which I don't completely understand there function, the tower I believe doesn't have as many of these sensors . ?

Edit: but get what you want, I don't know anything really about the tower to judge.

Vessel,

oldiebutgoodie

Vessel said:
. . . and there's three sensor type things which I don't completely understand there function, the tower I believe doesn't have as many of these sensors . ?

The sensor was moved and the display changed. Here is Arizer's explanation::

"Regarding the different versions/temperature issue - 260 c vs 350 c: We made a slight change in the placement of the heater temperature sensor, we moved the sensor to reflect a more accurate bowl/vaporization temperature shown on the LCD display. As a result the remote control was changed as well to reflect the different temperature read out. All Extremes (new or old) reach the same accurate temperature - it is the way they read on the LCD screen that is different. The 350 C max temp models measured/displayed the heater core temperature and temperatures displayed where for the purpose of giving the consumer a temperature guide to go by and when we made the temperature sensor change the LCD displays an actual vaporization temperature, example: you would set your unit to 190-220C - vaping temperatures vs. setting your unit to 310-340C."

vaporman27 said:
How to clean ceramic heating element cover? With cotton pad and iso?

I find a can of compressed air works very well. Just a couple very short bursts. Or are you using different material than just herb?

oldiebutgoodie,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
My EQ does the high pitch sound too, doesn't look that rare. I'm not bothered by it.

Seek,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Seek said:
My EQ does the high pitch sound too, doesn't look that rare. I'm not bothered by it.

Mine as well, since day one. stops when tapped sometimes, or when it is not heating (ie having turned the temp down to let it cool.

It doesn't really bother me anymore, I almost always have music, or something on tv going on.

Though, once recently I was reading a book, and the noise was getting to me, so I finished the bowl in a quick fashion, and turned the Q off. :/

Oh well, its a great vape, and that whistle noise is no louder than any bag vape, although slightly more annoying when reading.

Purpl3_Haz3,

CoffiNail

First post here

So, me and my wife have used our EQ for just under a year now, nearly every day, multiple times a day. We rarely turn the EQ off, figuring it would be worse for the electronics than the stress of turning on and off... plus we have no heat up time. We love this thing, it is our ONLY way to enjoy cannabis, going back to a glass pipe even just tastes nasty.

When we first got it for a few months we tried various temps, packing styles and whip vs balloon.

After looking around the web i found various reports of the best temp being 230C, as it gets all the cannabanoids, as the highest temp one vapes at 220C,

"tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant"

The euphoriant properties is what my wife feels helps her depression when she if being hit by it strongly.

We use the elbow joint mainly and blow it down, instead of stirring it. I have yet to do much with the AVB, I tried making green dragon once with bacardi 151, but it did not seem to work very well. I am planning on finding vegetable glycerin to try a glycerin tincture, as i have a few sandwich bags full of it.

I am wondering if anyone else sets their EQ at 230 as well? Should we consider turning it down?

CoffiNail,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Blowing into your EQ will coat the inside with fine partly vaped dust.

230C does get most of the active components, but many of us (including me) never go that high (excuse bad pun). I start at 160C and get a thin but really tasty vapor, which is also cooler and easier on the throat. During a session I'll usually step up 10 degrees at a time until I reach 190C. At that point the taste starts to go off and I dump the ABV for later use.

The stone you get this way is not as heavy. Couch-lock comes from those high temperature components you get starting at 200C. If that's what you want, stick to the high temperatures.

pakalolo,

oldiebutgoodie

CoffiNail said:
. . . I am wondering if anyone else sets their EQ at 230 as well? Should we consider turning it down?

This is not a precise science; there are inevitable variables. For example, set the Q on 200 and take casual tokes thru the whip. Then turn on Fan 3 and blow a bag, you'll notice the bowl gets hotter as it runs which affects the vaporization temp as the bag fills. Or, some strains of herb have higher concentrations of THC relative to other canniboids, and consequently will interact with the temperature and method somewhat differently. It's just not that exact.

Generally speaking, up to approx 180c you're vaporizing primarily the THC. As you go above that, CBD starts to vaporize. Arizer's guideline is vaping between 190-200c, which makes sense in terms of balance. If you want a more clear-headed high, temps below 190c or lower typically are better. To get a bit more of a body high and get past the anxiety threshold some experience, that 190-200c range works well. As pakolo indicated, when you go above 200c you begin to get into CBN with its sedative effect. IME it's above ~210c that I start to enter couch-lock territory, with 230c+ definitely being knock-down.

You just have to experiment with your own preferred method and your particular herb, to find what's best for your particular tastes or needs.

oldiebutgoodie,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have a friend that won't vape above 185c, and another who has his Q set permanently on 230. I think half the fun is figuring out how the different temps affect you and choosing which temps you use. Personally, I'm a 220 guy. I'll play around a little with temps (up and down), but I pretty much know how I like my vapor by now. It's all about personal taste, really.

:peace:

Stu,

deke

Vapeosaurus
Stu: I agree! With my EQ, and now with my MFLB, a big part of the fun is learning how to use them and experimenting. I like how the EQ has so many variables to tinker with.

Personally, I preheat at 200 for 5 minutes or so, then hit it until it no longer tastes 'green', then turn it up 10 degrees at a time until I don't feel like vaping anymore. I've never gone above 230.

deke,
@oldiebutgoodie
I use just weed and sometimes hash oil on cotton ball. What if i clean ceramic heating element cover with very little iso on cotton pad? Can i damage something if i use alcohol ? Sorry for my bad english:)

vaporman27,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
If it's turned off, you will let it evaporate before use and you will evaporate the leftovers by some heat (not drawing), it should be safe. I use ISO to clean my elbow, it's screen and tube (and only finger for cyclone bowl). Everything other is clean so far. I'm trying my best to keep the heater clean.

Seek,

JeffK1893

Hey guys,

I have a buddy who had an old essential oils screen for the volcano that was kind of falling apart, so i took it and created my own essential oil screen for the extreme Q :D

2011-06-3003-26-47327.jpg

It works wonderfully.

2011-06-3003-55-31294.jpg

JeffK1893,
Top Bottom