Taking a break from trying to fix this thing, I came back with a fresh take and realized that the slightest bit of pressure connects the battery, so I folded a sliver of foil and it held for a bit until I moved it about.....so I placed the foil directly ontop the battery and the power button is working when it's closed so this might be a temp fix until I order a new unit and send this and my first unit for repairs. Will report back on how well it holds. And yeah, it's quite daunting looking to scour this hundred plus page topic to see all the do's and don'ts but I think that's part of the learning experience... tinkering until you find a fix. The folks on here give good advice though and aren't fussy about repeat questions since we all have the same issues pretty much and we know the data is scattered throughout with no marker. Going to test this thing and see how it holds to see if I can hold off on ordering a new unit at the moment. Cheers for the help/offer.