VisiblyVaped

@thesoloman , odd, I find the airflow on the Air much better than the Solo, and find it perfectly easy to draw.
I saw your pic, and I think perhaps you're packing your material into the tube too tightly, which will affect airflow. Best to put the material in kinda loose. The looser the material, the better the draw.

I get a good draw and better clouds with a decently firm pack actually....

g1zm0

Yes but thinner vapor also means cooler vapor, and that is plus to me with these small stems. I prefer a less restricted draw in general and i want to experiment to what extent I can improve the airflow without thinning it out too much. I also have old solo stems to experiment on too
so how many hits would u say bro?

g1zm0,

OF

Excuse my ignorance as I don't have a solo or an AA, but from what I've read I thought that increasing airflow comes with the tradeoff of wispier/thinner vapor density. Is this the case with this stem mod?

Not if you don't take advantage of the reduced restriction to take a bigger hit. What do you think the chances of that are? I think most find the factory restriction appropriate but one of the strengths of this vape (and Solo) is the easy ability to experiment like this.

Another approach is to use the custom stems for the Solo (many of us have them kicking around after trying them in Solo).

The Air seems to up the ante on the Solo 's reliability, and function, with its svelte airstream silhouette. The user friendly swappable battery is spot on.

Air uses a 5V charger, with a 1.2 Amp output. I wonder if their R&D had considered a USB charging port? Is it because most USB source 100 mA, while a few max @ 500 mA?:hmm:

I'm not sure I follow. I think Solo already has an extremely good reliability record, Air hasn't had even a fraction of the needed time in the market to be close to that. No reason to think that won't happen, but not only is the jury not still out, it hasn't left. Nor has there even been a trial? In terms of function, I think Solo has it beat handily. More steps, longer battery charge, useful battery charge meter.

That last point, lack of charge meter, is IMO a big deal. Air only gets 4 sessions or so per charge, most of us can easily loose track and get caught out.

Yes, we've discussed USB charging in detail. It's basically a rate issue. Normal charge currents are under 1.2 Amps, more like .8. Way past USB abilities. Using a USB port simply results in very slow charging. This was tested, here's my test cable:
LqGplI9.jpg

[/Quote]

@thesoloman, the notches on the stem are an inspiration! Which Dremel tool did you use to cut into the glass, please.

Look about 9 posts up from yours......2084.....picture and everything......

OF

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Thank you, kind Sir. I was seeing square cuts on round ones.

Prolly a LSD induced hallucination.

To address the "short" time per charge on the svelte Air, I don't find it a problem.
Packing a second battery, swapping it out, you double the run time. (The 2nd side pocket of the belt case is a great spot for a spare.)

Since I am not a heavy hitter, I don't find it necessary to lock and load the 2nd CHARGED battery. So far.

My readin ability is challenged, what is "8024"? --NM, got it. #2084

Last edited:

scottg402

Ok well I kept up with thread for a while but recently managed to lapse about 20 pages. I will get back at it soon enough.

From what I've read it seems everyone is pretty happy with their Air's which is great to hear. I also know there are a lot of Solo owners/lovers and I'm right there with ya!

So tonight I received my brand new Air in Black. First impressions are extremely favorable on appearance. I love that Arizer didn't cheap out and put this in a metal body as opposed to plastic. I know some appreciate the weight of plastic but I'm not one of them. I would take the durability advantage of metal over the weight advantage of plastic.

The biggest surprise to me was how small this thing is. I know it's been said a million times here. I have seen tons of photos and plenty next to a Solo but for whatever reason I thought it would be larger. What a pleasant surprise!

Also pleased that my @Ed's TnT shorty WonG fits in the air. It was tight but I made it. I'll throw some pics up on the Ed's thread soon enough. Black unit and Blackwood WonG looks sweet!

It's on the charger now and as soon as the battery is full I'm going for it.

I'll check back later with some thoughts.

VisiblyVaped

That usb adaptation..... can anyone elaborate. I believe in one of the threads OF linked me to an external power source I could plug into my car charger and use the stock air/pinnacle chargers in my vehicle. Any other options that would help I'm definitely open to.
These are my two favorite and they both run off that Dc power cord

OF

I believe in one of the threads OF linked me to an external power source I could plug into my car charger and use the stock air/pinnacle chargers in my vehicle.

I think I'm innocent this time.....at last.

If you want to charge in your car all you need to do is use a auto USB charge adapter. Make an Amp or more of five Volts out of the 12 Volts available in the cigarette lighter. Lots out there, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Mini-Power-Outlet-Charger/dp/B00BMGTASO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1421896144&sr=8-8&keywords=auto usb charger

You're on your own to cobble up the cable......you can't have mine.

OF

olivianewtonjohn

olivianewtonjohn

But how do I find a plug with enough juice to go straight from usb to the Air?
I've been searching and asking

I don't know if this would be compatible, and I'd like it to work with the pinnacle pro too
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003M...&dpID=41sIpBv4TXL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Probably a task best for people with tinkering and soldering skills (since from what I can tell this would be very rare to find prefabbed)

On another note, does the air medicate you guys as well as the solo? More experiments to be done but its looking to be alittle slower at medicating.

OF

I don't know if this would be compatible, and I'd like it to work with the pinnacle pro too
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003M...&dpID=41sIpBv4TXL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

That will get you most of the way there, but the connector is the wrong size for either Pinnacle or Air. You'll need adapters. Pipes can fix you up with the one I used in mine above. I had to make a different adapter cable for Pinnacle since it uses an even smaller connector, the same one used by Ascent (at a different voltage) in fact.

I wonder, if we asked Pipes really nice if he couldn't come up with a kit of all the pieces needed? Pipes, you got your ears on? PM me if you want to chat a bit about the idea?

Probably a task best for people with tinkering and soldering skills (since from what I can tell this would be very rare to find prefabbed)

Good point, the cable suggested above and the adapter from Pipes does exactly that. Plugs together and runs. If we can get Pipes on board he can do the soldering for everyone......he's good at it you know.

OF

VisiblyVaped

On another note, does the air medicate you guys as well as the solo? More experiments to be done but its looking to be alittle slower at medicating.

Judging from the voltage output, I believe its suitable for the air. I need someone tech savvy to help me. There's an option for 3 at 19 bucks and I THINK one would work for my air and the other looks compatible with my pinnacle.
Somebody help lol!

Medication wise I feel I like it better than the solo. My pinnacle probably gets me most medicated when im packing very little though

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Nope not here, ha! I spent five minutes watching the top button blink a few minutes ago, thinking it was charging up. Eventually I realized I'm already baked and this thing is saying, hey buddy press a button.

Also earlier I had the condom on her and thought it was turned off bc I saw the window with no lights. A few minutes later I picked it up and turned her around and there were two blue lights, lol! I got another minute worth before it shutoff. Moral of the story this vape gets me well medicated!

VisiblyVaped

This vape gets me as medicated as my DB and my ppro.

If anyone's interested, I certainly found an adapter that works with the ppro to usb but I'm only 80% sure of the air one
(5v 1.2a) pro is 5v 2a

OF

If anyone's interested, I certainly found an adapter that works with the ppro to usb but I'm only 80% sure of the air one (5v 1.2a) pro is 5v 2a
That will work fine. IIRC Pinnacle draws about one Amp maximum, any more simply can't be used. OTOH, it also charges from a USB (I've done mine) at much lower currents, it just takes that much longer to charge.

OF

fabronaut

Has anyone had any luck putting domed screens in their Air stem?

I took the time to get a screen wedged into the smallest stem I had. I haven't bothered pulling it out when cleaning it (drop the whole thing in an ISO bath), since it was a pain in the ass to get in there firmly. (I'm not the most tactile or experienced person though, so YMMV.)

For a brief while, I flipped over to the longer stem since I liked the cooler draw. It got dirty pretty quickly, as I used it without a screen, so I ended up switching back to the small bowl plastic tip stem.

I personally prefer the screen being wedged in between the glass draw holes. Tried the screen sandwich today, and daaaaamn. If you want smooth without trying the hamster invert trick, that's the ticket!

I took a reg screen and cut it to size than I molded it to the air stem sticking it in and using a pencil eraser to shape it. I didn't find better results so it's out now .

dunno what y'all use for cutting screens, but the wire snips I took to a screen just made the edges where I cut really sharp... so I don't bother cutting. I shape it and stuff it in there. Only done this a couple times... didn't buy many screens since they were pretty overpriced at the place I got my Air from, but y'know -- convenience!

In the time that i have had my air i have came to hate the restriction it has, solo-esk milkshake draws have became the norm for me, so in the pursuit of airflow, i got out the good old Dremel tool and went to work. I present to you what i believe is the first Air-Turbo Stem?]

mostly seems to me to be affected by how I pack it... If you pack it firmly, the draw resistance is greater?

that's why I tried the screen sandwich today, actually! One screen helped with consistency in packing for air flow (not stuffing up the draw holes), the second screen prevents the herb from falling into the heating chamber and directly touching the element. That's when things get toasty, and I don't like the taste / harshness when things are crispy, as I don't use the Air with water tools. That will change when my shipment eventually arrives :D

fabronaut,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

VisiblyVaped

@OF - So it would fit both or just the pro? I'm going to order one tonight, speed isn't much of a concern

Last edited:
VisiblyVaped,

OF

So it would fit both or just the pro? I'm going to order one tonight, speed isn't much of a concern

What is the subject? Please be clear about that. That cable from Amazon? No, it won't fit either Pinnacle or Air on the non USB end...... You need to adapt to different connectors for each.

The adapter you published no link to? Probably OK, but you still need cables/connectors?

OF

OF,

VisiblyVaped

I took the time to get a screen wedged into the smallest stem I had. I haven't bothered pulling it out when cleaning it (drop the whole thing in an ISO bath), since it was a pain in the ass to get in there firmly. (I'm not the most tactile or experienced person though, so YMMV.)

For a brief while, I flipped over to the longer stem since I liked the cooler draw. It got dirty pretty quickly, as I used it without a screen, so I ended up switching back to the small bowl plastic tip stem.

I personally prefer the screen being wedged in between the glass draw holes. Tried the screen sandwich today, and daaaaamn. If you want smooth without trying the hamster invert trick, that's the ticket!

dunno what y'all use for cutting screens, but the wire snips I took to a screen just made the edges where I cut really sharp... so I don't bother cutting. I shape it and stuff it in there. Only done this a couple times... didn't buy many screens since they were pretty overpriced at the place I got my Air from, but y'know -- convenience!

mostly seems to me to be affected by how I pack it... If you pack it firmly, the draw resistance is greater?

that's why I tried the screen sandwich today, actually! One screen helped with consistency in packing for air flow (not stuffing up the draw holes), the second screen prevents the herb from falling into the heating chamber and directly touching the element. That's when things get toasty, and I don't like the taste / harshness when things are crispy, as I don't use the Air with water tools. That will change when my shipment eventually arrives :D

Sorry mods, couldn't figure how to put a quote in my edit
So you guys are putting one under the packing chamber, over the holes, then doming one over the pack as well?

I guess I can't see the benefit of both besides keeping the mouthpiece cleaner and preventing anything from falling in the heating chamber

@OF - So it would fit both or just the pro? I'm going to order one tonight, speed isn't much of a concern

Something like this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181553998102?nav=SEARCH

Last edited by a moderator:
VisiblyVaped,
Reactions: OF

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Hey guys....
...been reading the last dozen or so posts, and what I have to offer is this:

(1) The Air, in my opinion, medicates even better than the Solo does for me.

But, mainly :

(2) ! Here's a simple solution to your 12 volt charging problems. Do what I do. Use a D4 nitecore charger which also runs off 12v with a lighter plug, and charge your spare or spent battery in that. Charges at 750 mAh, takes about 2 hours to charge a red-light'd (about 3.7 volts) battery. Any other setup will take even longer. The D4 nitecore is an intelligent charger that I bet my money on is a better way to charge these batteries than using the Air's internal charger. Not a dis on Arizer, just is kind of common sense. I'm sure the internal charger is fine....haven't timed how long the air takes to charge, and, of course, if you're charging while using, it'll never charge up. In fact it'll eventually fail I believe.

Since most Airs come with an extra battery, I suggest investing in a D4 nitecore or similar intelligent charger and charge them at home or in car, and switch them out when one goes 'red-light' in your Air.

I too kinda miss the battery level indicator of the Solo, but, with an extra charged battery in tow, I have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps, just sharing how I do things.

Oh, and I've tried my long Solo stems in the Air, and I must say , it cools the vapor more and I enjoy my hits even more. Wondering if they'll ever make long tubes with that threaded mouthpiece for air. More and more new items for air and solo are coming out, so , there's much hope.
By the way, has anyone posted the size of the adapter that fits into the Air ?

Happy Vaping .... i luv breahing AIR

OF

Thanks for the link, please don't leave me guessing. Is the question 'will this work with either Air or Pinnacle?'? No, I don't think it'll work with either. Wrong size connector. 2.5 mm is not the 3.9 (sometimes listed 4.0) used on Air and Solo (longer length on Air for protection). The connector I'm using for Pinnacle is 3.4 mm, much larger than the one above, but smaller enough than the Arizer connector to not fit.

OF

fabronaut

So you guys are putting one under the packing chamber, over the holes, then doming one over the pack as well?

I guess I can't see the benefit of both besides keeping the mouthpiece cleaner and preventing anything from falling in the heating chamber

hopefully I'll actually add some pictures eventually, will prolly help me be a bit clearer. tomorrow perhaps :)

I was only using the one screen stuffed between the draw holes and the herb packed in the stem. this afternoon I popped a second screen in there to try it out, and I liked that even better!

for me, it prevents the herb from falling down into the heating chamber, which gives me the taste / consistency I want. The cleanliness part of dropping less material into the heating chamber is a bonus for me... It's mostly that I don't like crisped herb. I actually would rather just roll an occasional j if I want to taste anything resembling the smokier / higher temp side of things... but that's just me ;)

I too kinda miss the battery level indicator of the Solo, but, with an extra charged battery in tow, I have nothing to worry about.

By the way, has anyone posted the size of the adapter that fits into the Air ?]

second battery in rotation makes me not care as much about lack of battery indicator. Would be nice, but since I can swap, i just try to keep one battery with a decent charge if needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by size... Do you mean the glass bowl bit? (diameter of stems themselves)

if you're asking about the top part of the stem where you draw from, it'll wedge with an acceptable fit into 14mm female glass joints. (i don't think that's what you're asking though?) :shrug:

edit: clarity fail

fabronaut,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH
Top Bottom