CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Blackwood WonG has less of a restriction than my stock stem. If you don't like wood I suggest getting the PVHES stems from planetvape they have much better airflow. I don't even use the stock stems. I use the PVHES stems that were designed for the Solo. There are several styles to chose from. I prefer a longer stem anyway unless I need stealth. To me the AA is more harsh than the Solo. A longer air path helps with that.

@Ed's TnT is starting to sell glass now. I haven't bought any of his stems yet. It looks like there are some that open up air flow. I would check that out too. if something works for the Solo it should work with the Air too. I interchange all my Solo stems with my AA.

I also had a whip set up made for my Solo that I use with my AA. It has a small WonG and a wooden mouthpiece. The Herbalizer tubing was used. I use it with both units. I really like it. I've posted pics before. I had Ed use the Bloodwood - its beautiful. The Bloodwood makes a beautiful WonG.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/eds-tnt-glass-section-say-what.22689/

The unit that I have the stock stems are just too restricted for me.
Sometimes you need to tailor your vaporizer to fit your needs.

Last edited:

abby

You just got a useful answer a couple posts up from a guy in the know. IMO you should take it seriously. The PVHES is going to give you what you think you want (less resistance) with it's vertical grooves and notches in the mouth. Just what it's designed to do for those who demanded less restriction with Solo years ago. Most of us quickly learned it's not a big advantage I think?

Alright, ordered a pvhes gong, but I'm not exactly sold on whether it'll help me. I already hold the glass stem a couple of milometers from the wall of the oven, I don't see the notches helping. At any rate, I don't think there's any chance a pvhes gong + j-hook will be worse than a stock stem, and I need a gong anyways. I guess if I like it I'll buy a pvhes straight stem too.

With Air/Solo the heat doesn't go up with more airflow, in fact since the new air is cold and must be heated it ROBS heat that otherwise would make vapor. You get more volume of less dense vapor, the total THC being less for that reason.

That's what not happening with my arizer air. I'd want myself to be able to pull hard and introduce a bit of cool air, but the rubber rings that hug the arizer stem make it so that I can only introduce so much cool air. Solo allowed me to introduce more cool air. I'd like to be able to do that with the air. I don't mind getting more volume of less dense vapor at all. In fact, with the arizer air being the way it is, I have to take in a sip of oxygen after my hits to reduce the density of thc in my lungs. If lower density is the tradeoff for higher airflow, I'd definitely take it. Without hesitation. Not phenomenally more airflow or anything, I just want this to feel like my solo.

Your call, but I think it's reasonable to assume Arizer tested Air before releasing it? They seem to have their act together in (all?) other areas.........

Arizer may test their vaporizers sure, but they can't optimize it for every single one of their users. I'm mostly a low temp vaper, I absolutely wouldn't mind if I had to turn the heat up more than usual to compensate for the cool air. I mostly vape at blue or white, I find green almost too hot.

Last edited:
abby,
Reactions: OF

OF

Alright, ordered a pvhes gong, but I'm not exactly sold on whether it'll help me. I already hold the glass stem a couple of milometers from the wall of the oven, I don't see the notches helping.

Arizer may test their vaporizers sure, but they can't optimize it for every single one of their users. I'm mostly a low temp vaper, I absolutely wouldn't mind if I had to turn the heat up more than usual to compensate for the cool air. I mostly vape at blue or white, I find green almost too hot.

Give it a try, I think you'll find the notches in the lip offer little, but the GROVES UP THE SIDES do? They break tight seal to the outside of the stem you're cursing right now? Whether, in the end, that's a good thing for you only you can say, and only after actually trying it. Good luck with that.

You actually don't want to simply crank up the heat to compensate, that's not how vapes work. While that will compensate while the increased airflow is happening, it's going to naturally run overtemp when the flow stops, right? Temperature control only really works when the vape is used as designed. You have to actively compensate I think. This often leads guys to use WTs when they crank the heat up......or is that the other way around?

It's not like having to 'bump up' the heat with Ed's excellent stems to compensate for the added heat loss up the SS bowl, that loss stays pretty constant with changes in flow etc.

By all means try PHVES, I suspect more than half of us have? Notice how many of us have 'chimed in' to say we tried less restriction and came back to liking the factory stems? That is a clue, too.

What you are asking for is by no means new. I'd guess a hundred or more guys have posted on this thread complaining about restriction when they first get their Air, you're far from alone. Most, I think, 'come around' in the end.

The restriction with Air is insignificant compared to say Summit (even when very clean), funny though restricted airflow doesn't seem to be a big issue on that thread? And then you have MFLB, where some of us find introducing more restriction is an advantage (same 'limited heating power' in play there too I think).

Glad to hear you're experimenting, I hope you find the results you seek in the end. You buy vapes to use and enjoy, not fuss over.........

OF

abby

Glad to hear you're experimenting, I hope you find the results you seek in the end. You buy vapes to use and enjoy, not fuss over.........

OF

You buy vapes to use and enjoy, true, but there is some enjoyment in fussing over them. Idk, I feel like if i werent' as picky i wouldnt get to know what I enjoy best, nor would i know how the air works best.

What you are asking for is by no means new. I'd guess a hundred or more guys have posted on this thread complaining about restriction when they first get their Air, you're far from alone. Most, I think, 'come around' in the end.

OF

I do feel like what I'm saying isn't spoken about enough. Buying the air after using the solo, despite having read around forums, I had no idea i would expect this much of an increase in draw resistance. The way the rubber rings hug the stem isn't something i experienced with the solo. I'm half in the mood to one day use a knife to cut four airpaths into the rubber rings. Idk.

The air is great, I'm just trying to get it to feel more like the solo.

OF

I do feel like what I'm saying isn't spoken about enough. Buying the air after using the solo, despite having read around forums, I had no idea i would expect this much of an increase in draw resistance.

I can't speak about lesser Forums, I avoid them. But the draw resistance is hardly a secret at FC. If you search this thread for 'milkshake' you'll find 20 or so times guys have used that term to criticize it (and of course that's only a fraction of the guys who have brought it up). Add in the Solo and it's like 150 times guys have brought the subject up using that term?

The rules here call for reading a thread before posting to avoid repeating the same stuff over and over, not all that realistic in many cases? But I bet if you back off say 20 pages and read forward you'll find it's been covered a time or two in there.

I'm not saying nobody likes less restriction after trying it, in fact I think everyone so inclined should try a PVHES or two, I'm just saying restriction been covered a lot. And will no doubt come up again soon enough. Please let us know how you like it after you've use it awhile? TIA.

FWIW just because you have less restriction doesn't mean you should up the flow. I sometimes use my PVHES GonG as a MP, and like my bent PVHES and run hot and cold on the Vortex stem (which has thicker walls but has the same grooves and notches). I just continue to sip on them so the airflow is closer to stock (just easier to draw). Then again, I'm not a cloud chaser by nature (nor do I think either Solo or Air is a good choice for such folks).

OF

CalyxSmokr

It's not like having to 'bump up' the heat with Ed's excellent stems to compensate for the added heat loss up the SS bowl, that loss stays pretty constant with changes in flow etc.
Did I miss this? Is it common to bump up the heat for Ed's Air stems? Maybe that is why I don't get great results

OF

Did I miss this? Is it common to bump up the heat for Ed's Air stems? Maybe that is why I don't get great results

Yep. I think CK may have first pointed it out, it's been around a while. Some go one step, I find that's marginal, I go two steps hotter usually. Almost to WTA levels. You'll notice the exposed SS tube gets quite hot in use and it sticks up a long way into the air.

For sure, if you don't bump the heat a tick or two you're going to get wimpy vapor. Sorry you didn't get the memo........

"Try it, you'll like it".

Regards,

OF

Faolan

Mighty, Air1.5/Max/Go, Tinymight, Dynavap, Fury2
I actually like the resistance of my air. Well I guess I can say liked since I sent it to rma lol. What are WTA levels?

I also finally got some domed screens and they're nice too.

GetLeft

@abby like I said above I picked up some newer stems a while back and they are unuseable. If you're dealing with the same kind of stem no matter what you do you with it you won't enjoy the air the way it wants to be enjoyed. Have you tried the short stem with the black tip?

GetLeft,
Reactions: lookhigh

OF

Just a reminder to all of my Air brothers and sisters:
Clean your stems often because oh boy does that make a difference.

Another excellent pointer from a wise guy...... And all round good catch, I hear.

Another big difference can come in taste, especially when changing strains, even sampling some new bud that life happens your way. The best of 'clean' and 'fresh' sorts of tastes can only come this way, I think. Once combined with residue of other strains (through a dirty stem) and the taste is forever changed, made more 'muddy'? Like blending Whiskey, once you start it's not single malt any more. It's not all that often I enjoy such 'taste vacations', not nearly often enough I think, but when I get to craving one (or one gets forced on me.....) it's a true treat to grab a fresh stem for the adventure. It's easy to have a couple spares around (and cheap), I wash several at a time in PBW in a small plastic jar I think once contained vitamins. Another plus for an otherwise fine vape IMO.

OF

GetLeft

In the event anyone wanders through wondering... Just charged two stock batteries (originals, around 1.5 yrs. old and well used) and timed things. 2hrs. 25mins. to charge each. That's from one session into red (if I power up and see the charge indicator on red, I do a session confident that I'll get it in with no worries). I use them often but I don't use them hard; usually 5-7 minutes per session, ranging anywhere from low level (blue) to mid level (green) temp settings, getting 5 of those sessions per battery, easily. The 150 I put out for this thing (still available at that price at allstarvape) is laughable. As good today as it was the first time I used it and the only mod was to bend a screen around the tip of my finger and stick it into the bowl to keep the stem clean. Of course one caves eventually and buys the nicely prepared domers that work so well. But other than a few dollars for screens, which are more of a luxury than a necessity, I haven't spent a penny and am coming close to a thousand sessions on the thing (if my math isn't funny), all stealth, all flavorful, all fully adjustable to my particular needs at a given moment. I calculate I've paid somewhere between .20 and .15 per session to enjoy this unit 100% trouble free. Kudos to Arizer. And knocking on wood that it keeps up.

DramaLV

hey all new member here,

after 14 years of smoking im finally looking for a way to save money on herb. over the last few months ive got down to 4-5 grams a week but would like to cut that down even more. Ive decided the arizer air would probably be best for me as a first vape. i found the air on sale at vaporseller.com for 150 and can get a dual battery charger as a free gift. throw in 2 extra batterys and a bent solo stem and im still under $200 shipped.

would you purchase from them? they said its the new version with the 4 holes. or i could go to puff it up and get the air for 170 just without the extras.
thanks for the help in advance

OF

hey all new member here,

would you purchase from them? they said its the new version with the 4 holes. or i could go to puff it up and get the air for 170 just without the extras.
thanks for the help in advance

First off, Howdy! Welcome to the Forum and all the fun and good advice and fellowship. Lots of good folks around, but I guess you've already figured that out?

Great choice on Air. For some of us Solo has advantages that give it the nod but there's not a lot of difference, really. Very hard to go too far wrong for sure.

I too suggest you go with Randy at PIU. He'll match the price but much more important is his service. Fast (I once got my original Solo, which was a DOA, replaced in less than 24 hours.......really, in my hands in less than one day!).

As important as price can be I suggest not getting too carried away there, you're going to SAVE BIG BUCKS on stash. Expect your consumption to drop to 1/3 or even 1/4 once you're on board. Honestly. The 3 grams or so of bud you save every week will buy a lot of vape in a big hurry.

Remember, to make the change to vaping you need to avoid all smoking. Right now your brain links choking on smoke to getting high, like Pavlov's dogs your brain is lying to you telling you you like smoking......disgusting as it is, really. Your brain needs to learn you don't have to stick your face in the campfire to get off. For some it takes a day or two of absolutely no blazing. For others a week or two? I'd say the average is a bit over a week, I don't recall anyone needing 3 weeks?

Anyway, welcome! You might also consider getting some of the excellent formed screens our very own Sinclue found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200981331675?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Very useful. One way the cut the volume about in half (about what many guys want for a single quick session) so you can always start with a fresh load. The other way around they keep the small area of screen over the holes from fouling as quickly......longer between stem services. The same guy sells different amounts of screens for different prices but they're cheap and handy.

OF

DramaLV

thanks for the replies jp and jimmer

gonna get eds stem so not worried about the wpa so much. more so
worried about the batts and external charger. also if i get a price match from PIU or POTV there is no option for the dual charger as the free gift, just grinders or other stuff i dont need. so id be spending 150 on the air to spend another 40 on 2 batteries and 45 on a dual battery charger (and thats with the price match).

which is why vaporseller looks so appeling but is also so scary.

GetLeft

I recall some questions from folks who purchased from vapesellers. I'd search the thread before purchasing.

I love the Air. But I was never a 4-5 grams a week person, so I didn't come to it from a high usage perspective. It sure is conservative with the herbs when used properly (not overpacked, long slow draws), but it wouldn't be the vape I recommended to someone who anticipated using it as heavliy as 4-5 grams a week. Not that it couldn't do the job. Just that other vapes might fit that bill a little better.

OF

gonna get eds stem so not worried about the wpa so much. more so
worried about the batts and external charger. also if i get a price match from PIU or POTV there is no option for the dual charger as the free gift, just grinders or other stuff i dont need. so id be spending 150 on the air to spend another 40 on 2 batteries and 45 on a dual battery charger (and thats with the price match).

Don't forget that the plastic topped stems mate up with 14mm GonG fittings like Arizer knew what they're doing? No other adapter really needed.

Don't dismiss PIU without checking, Randy also sells spare 18650s and chargers......... And has basically zero risk. "Second to none" comes to mind. Nothing but praise and support.

Your call, but you asked for advice?

OF

Top Bottom