Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Bravesst Interesting setup. I noticed you mentioning Boveda in this thread, so I went away and researched it and am now using some of my own Boveda 62 8g sachets as an experiment to see if it will improve my Air experience. Too early to comment on results yet as I've not had them for very long.

Wouldn't extreme drying out using your lamp setup negate any beneficial effects of storing with Boveda?

You've got to control time, distance, wattage, and any other variable so it doesn't get too dry, the idea is to find the sweet spot, which is probably way dryer than you think. It should be almost crispy in texture, on it's way to ABV-ish. Color should have NOT changed.

I went with 100 watts, about 20 minutes, and approximate six inch distance.

What I've learned from the brilliant minds here is that storing at 62RH will increase THC levels over time (many say 2 months). I live in a humid area, so 62 RH is low in the summer here. Just prior to vaping (minutes, hours, days), taking the herb down to less the 62RH removes the water (that's what humidity is), which gets in the way of unlocking the glorious THC. Good vapes can do it for you, but will taste harsher, require higher temps, maybe some waiting time or warm up hits.

For long term storage I use glass mason jars or Cvaults with Boveda 62 (I use the giant one, 60 grams or something, as well as the 8 and 10 gram packs). I try and keep a stash, and the goal is to store for 2 months, but dry out further just before vaping. If you live in a dry area, grind coarsely and just leaving herb out on a sheet of paper should dry it out (I've used coffee filters inside a strainer for more air flow).

The bulb works great if humidity in your area is so high that your herb won't dry if left out (actually gets wetter). It's all about getting the water out of the way, so we can pull the THC out! As soon as you remove from heat lamp, put in sealed container (no boveda). If you've over dried, throw a boveda back in to bring it back up. You'll only know if you over dried by the session it gives you, not the texture of the herb.

If @OF likes this, you're good!

PS: Playing with the dome screen now, shorter session, tastier (in every way), herb spent, great for a morning vake up.

Last edited:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
:suspicious::suspicious:
My incandescent bulb as a heat lamp. Gets really hot, herb dried to almost ABV level and vaped like velvet in a AA stock tipped stem. The process took about 20 minutes and it was DRY. Probably need to hone in on length of time, distance, wattage. Here's a pic of the set up using what I had on hand. RH dropped as temp went up. Simple lamp, mini cast iron frying pan, and about 1.5 grams of herb and 150 watt bulb (not meant to be left on for long periods in a lamp like this, but under 20 minute supervision, all wires stayed cool, but frying pan got very warm).
L4Jc4pH.jpg

just dropped to 100 watt bulb, 150 was probably getting me 120+ degrees (it was redlining my 100 degree thermometer.

Nice bed pan you got there! I'd dig that shit :D:suspicious::uhh::brow:

spiggot

Very interesting @Bravesst. I've never bothered about the moisture level of herbs in the past, but I do like to experiment. I'm guessing it's probably less relevant to someone putting it in a joint, as I used to, unless it's extremely damp and won't burn well. It may not make much difference to me anyway as I'm in the UK, where I think we don't often really get any extremes of humidity. I've put a bit of herb into a separate jar with a sachet to see if it alters it in any discernible way. I may try doing some extreme drying too, to see if this helps. Appreciate it may be more potent, but I would imagine doing this would lower the amount of vapour you get from the air, is this correct? Less visible clouds too?

Regarding the domes, I use these a lot now. Always with the curved side facing away from the oven though for me. The other way up that I think @OF uses them makes the oven space a bit too small for my liking. I can tolerate the smaller load with the domes curved side up as I think they aid airflow, thicker hits, bigger clouds etc.

I've also finally got a four piece grinder which has increased my enjoyment with the Air, quite a large one (50mm I think). It produces what I feel to be a perfect grind for the Air, every time so far. With a two piece it's a lot more variable for me depending on several factors, resulting in some powery bits (too fine) and some big lumps (too big for me to enjoy as much). The four piece means even if I grind up a bag to use over a few weeks, all of it is consistent size, just right for my Air.

spiggot,

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Very interesting @Bravesst. I've never bothered about the moisture level of herbs in the past, but I do like to experiment. I'm guessing it's probably less relevant to someone putting it in a joint, as I used to, unless it's extremely damp and won't burn well. It may not make much difference to me anyway as I'm in the UK, where I think we don't often really get any extremes of humidity. I've put a bit of herb into a separate jar with a sachet to see if it alters it in any discernible way. I may try doing some extreme drying too, to see if this helps. Appreciate it may be more potent, but I would imagine doing this would lower the amount of vapour you get from the air, is this correct? Less visible clouds too?

Regarding the domes, I use these a lot now. Always with the curved side facing away from the oven though for me. The other way up that I think @OF uses them makes the oven space a bit too small for my liking. I can tolerate the smaller load with the domes curved side up as I think they aid airflow, thicker hits, bigger clouds etc.

I've also finally got a four piece grinder which has increased my enjoyment with the Air, quite a large one (50mm I think). It produces what I feel to be a perfect grind for the Air, every time so far. With a two piece it's a lot more variable for me depending on several factors, resulting in some powery bits (too fine) and some big lumps (too big for me to enjoy as much). The four piece means even if I grind up a bag to use over a few weeks, all of it is consistent size, just right for my Air.

Hey, I'm considering buying a grinder finally. Which one have you got? Think it makes sense to grind and then store it to get it dryer..? I need to get rid of a certain harshness.. Hope it's that what irritates my throat all the time,, even more lately. Resulting in getting ill and takin antibiotic stuff coz of bacteria

vapen00b,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Hey, I'm considering buying a grinder finally. Which one have you got? Think it makes sense to grind and then store it to get it dryer..? I need to get rid of a certain harshness.. Hope it's that what irritates my throat all the time,, even more lately. Resulting in getting ill and takin antibiotic stuff coz of bacteria

Store at 62RH in a mason jar long term. The day of, or maybe a couple of days, try leaving out. Turns out, water evaporating is harsh. The idea is to get the moisture out before inhaling the vapor. If your area is really humid, the heat lamp (100 watt bulb and a little tray) works fast, so keep your eye on the herb. If it's a little "crispy" but without any color change, it should be great to vape, even on low temps.

On grinders, I've been using a space case, but the S&B grinders are good. I like a coarser grind for the AA...

spiggot

I do grind then store, mainly for convenience so I don't have to get the grinder out every time I want a vape. This probably does have a drying effect.

I wanted a Santa Cruz shredder, or space case as second choice. However I couldn't justify the cost as I wasn't certain a 4 piece would be right for me. I still ended up spending £25 on a Sharpstone grinder, however when it arrived it was a different make, Blackleaf, that I haven't heard of. As it was very similar except for the engraved design I decided to keep it, as it seems well made with no metal shavings or anything in the first test grind. One nice thing about this vs the SCS or SC is that it has a clear window, so you can see how much has dropped through to the next piece through the holes without keep opening it up. The holes seem to be just right size for the consistency that I like with my Air. I'm guessing a smaller version might give a finer grind due to smaller holes, but I've never used a four piece before so can't be sure.

If it's too harsh, I'd suggest using longer stems, I use Solo straight and curved rather than stock Air, as they're much longer. Also lower temps make a difference. Some use water tools too, but I personally can't be bothered with the fuss of water most of the time. Use a fine mesh screen too if you're not already, preferably domed.

I'd also suggest a coarser grind might help, since if it's too fine and dusty I get small particles in the back of my throat which irritates a lot, even with a screen.

spiggot,
Reactions: vapen00b

OF

Turns out, water evaporating is harsh. The idea is to get the moisture out before inhaling the vapor.

Another benefit is without the extra water fouling is much reduced. This was first pointed out by the MF folks AFAIK. That unit is near impossible to clean under the screen (it's welded in), vapimg moist herb is not only more demanding (you have to dry it out with the modest power the Box has available) but the fouling drops to near zero. That old 'oil and water' thing I suspect?

Anyway, keeping it dry going in gets vapor faster, easier, milder and denser.......and keeps fouling down. Hard to beat. I think guys should at least give it a try?

As a 'grinder' choice, I'm a shreader kind of guy (as opposed to grinding). I used to use my "Mendo Mulcher" but lately I really like this guy:
http://themedtainer.com/
http://www.amazon.com/MedTainer-Storage-Container-Built-In-Grinder/dp/B00DRHHYJI

I got my last one from PV:
http://www.amazon.com/MedTainer-Storage-Container-Built-In-Grinder/dp/B00DRHHYJI

And started a thread about them:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/medtainer-a-great-grinder-stash-container.16922/

OF

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@OF
OF SAID
"As a 'grinder' choice, I'm a shreader kind of guy (as opposed to grinding). I used to use my "Mendo Mulcher" but lately I really like this guy:
http://themedtainer.com/
http://www.amazon.com/MedTainer-Storage-Container-Built-In-Grinder/dp/B00DRHHYJI"

I've had a medtainer for awhile... it gives a very strange kinda grind, but when I was using it, my goals were completely different. Just dug the bad boy out of my storage bin. Can't wait to give it a go. I'm sure Otis will also check out every other thing you mentioned. BTW, got some herb on the "stove" right now...

Damn you Otis!!!
CJv8nhG.jpg

Last edited:

OF

I've had a medtainer for awhile... it gives a very strange kinda grind, but when I was using it, my goals were completely different. Just dug the bad boy out of my storage bin. Can't wait to give it a go.

Yeah, that's my take as well. It doesn't chop ('grind') like most do, no sharp edges. It has a series of smooth cones for 'teeth' (upper and lower) that interlock and force the herb between them as you twist. This tends to shred ('tear') rather than cut, into larger somewhat more random bits. IMO superior to grinding (which I usually do in a coffee grinder these days anyway for stuff like MFLB).

And I find the airtight 'stash jar' built on top is handy for storing intact buds, a guy could grind 'em just as needed....if that was his style.

OF

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
Hey Guys. I posted a few days ago about frustration with my new Air's draw resistance. Since then, I've placed dome shaped screens in my stem and decreased the draw resistance. I'm getting the hang of it now, and liking it.

So I would like to improve the draw resistance further and I'm deciding between PVHE standard, PVHE turbo & Ed's TnT. Cost is an issue for me, but they all work out to almost the exact same price. Has anyone used two, if not all of these stems?

I think I am leaning towards Ed's TnT stem because it also fits 14mm pipes.

Last edited:

OF

So I would like to improve the draw resistance further and I'm deciding between PVHE standard, PVHE turbo & Ed's TnT. Cost is an issue for me, but they all work out to almost the exact same price. Has anyone used two, if not all of these stems?

Yes, I've tried all 3 as have many here. Like many/most I've come back to the stock stems since I found that while the draw was easier, introducing more air flow DILUTES THE VAPOR.....not what I was looking for. You should try them for yourself, of course, but logic says there's no magic here. The finite heat available can go to heating extra cold air drawn in or making more vapor. So you while total volume might be greater, the actual vapor produced is lower and that is diluted down even so.

I think you'll find the turbo version has the least resistance, might as well go straight there? A screen is mandatory with that bad boy of course.

I like Ed's stem but not for that reason. In addition the metal part 'robs' heat big time, you need to raise the heat level just to get the same sort of vapor production. I suggest appreciating Ed's stem for the fine hand made custom piece it is rather than as a tool for more vapor.

Good luck.

OK

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
Yes, I've tried all 3 as have many here. Like many/most I've come back to the stock stems since I found that while the draw was easier, introducing more air flow DILUTES THE VAPOR.....not what I was looking for. You should try them for yourself, of course, but logic says there's no magic here. The finite heat available can go to heating extra cold air drawn in or making more vapor. So you while total volume might be greater, the actual vapor produced is lower and that is diluted down even so.

I think you'll find the turbo version has the least resistance, might as well go straight there? A screen is mandatory with that bad boy of course.

I like Ed's stem but not for that reason. In addition the metal part 'robs' heat big time, you need to raise the heat level just to get the same sort of vapor production. I suggest appreciating Ed's stem for the fine hand made custom piece it is rather than as a tool for more vapor.

Good luck.

OK

I appreciate this input.

Is the vapor dilution necessarily a bad thing? When using the PVHE stems, is the experience different? I figure to compensate, you would just take a few more hits. You get to the same destination right?

EDIT- Is vapor dilution a poor man's method for cooling vapor, such as using a water piece?

Last edited:

OF

I appreciate this input.

Is the vapor dilution necessarily a bad thing? When using the PVHE stems, is the experience different? I figure to compensate, you would just take a few more hits. You get to the same destination right?

You're welcome. Yes, it's different (or I wouldn't have gone back?). Yes, you can simply take more hits until the THC is exhausted, but I don't think that's what most guys are looking for? They want less hits for more THC? Those of us who are sippers I think are forced into what you could otherwise get by letting a bit of air in the side of your mouth without making it hot (not a good thing, really) and without sacrificing production of THC.

The same argument (just change the way/number of hits) could also apply to the 'this is too restricted for me' problem???

BTW, the Vortex stem also is an option, but it too has little to offer over stock for me.

It's an individual thing, I think you have to try it, depending on someone else's experience/opinion is not sure to be a good guide.

Good luck with it.

OF

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
You're welcome. Yes, it's different (or I wouldn't have gone back?).

The same argument (just change the way/number of hits) could also apply to the 'this is too restricted for me' problem???

OF

Yes, that was my first inclination. A complication arises because my lungs don't feel too good after taking a few hits when i slow my draw rate to match the resistance. If i didn't have this problem, i would just take 10 hits and then be fine.

srama21,
Reactions: OF

OF

Yes, that was my first inclination. A complication arises because my lungs don't feel too good after taking a few hits when i slow my draw rate to match the resistance. If i didn't have this problem, i would just take 10 hits and then be fine.

Again, if you want to experiment with the dilution idea, just make an imperfect seal on the stem with your lips...... Or take small sips of vapor between 'gulps' of fresh air. The first technique offers cooling as well.

You might also try a WT, lots of folks who are 'sensitive' find help there. Some (small) fraction of vapor is trapped, the rest is cooled and MADE MOIST. Normally vapor is very dry, this feature causes problems for some.

OF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Those folks that seem to have a problem with too tight of a draw with the Air the PVHE line of stems will help with ease of draw. There is a lot to choose from if they have them in stock. Not sure how their supply is going? I don't seem to have any issues being able to use Solo stems as well.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Regarding draw resistance: I have found that if I don't form a tight seal between my lips and the stem, I can draw air from the stem and air from outside the stem at the same time, which decreases the feeling of resistance. When I do this, I still get big clouds.

Regarding grinders: I have four SCS 4-pieces, one SCS 2-piece, three Space Case 2-pieces, one Diamond Grind 5-piece, and several cheaper grinders. I'm kind of a grinder freak.

My favorite grinder overall is the small matte orange SCS 4-piece. The matte finish feels and looks so nice, and I consider the matte finish much better for bad/weak hands (which I have) than the standard glossy finish.

I really like the Diamond Grind for sifting, though.

I don't care much for Space Cases, but if I had no grinder and had to buy a Space Case, I would buy one in the standard finish, rather than the titanium finish. One thing I really don't like about Space Case is the knurling. Doesn't provide much grip for me. (The knurling on the matte SCS feels phenomenal.)

JrPaAyQ.jpg

aDZnd98.jpg

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
@OF (or anyone), can you link to a good charger for Air batteries? When it was suggested to me a few days ago that I buy a battery charger, I was under the impression I'd have to pay over $40 for one, but now I'm thinking I'd easily be able to get one for more like $15. However, I don't know which one is the right one. I tried to figure it out on my own, but my brain just isn't very reliable anymore, in ways.

Also, here's another useful picture of the Diamond Grind:

P1YjgrO.jpg

There's a 50/50 chance I didn't use this grinder to grind the pictured herbs. Regardless of whether I ground the herbs in this grinder or an SCS, I allowed the herbs to drop through the holes right away. Once the herbs were in the collection chamber, I shook the grinder (but without a coin inside, because I want kief, not superfine ground flower particles). This grinder leaves me with three different consistencies of herb, and the kief is much blonder than what turns up at the bottom of any of my SCS 4-pieces. (This picture doesn't demonstrate how blonde the kief can be, as I had kind of contaminated the kief in this picture with superfine flower particles.)

EDIT: Since the ground herbs in this picture look a lot like little pieces of gnocchi, I'm inclined to think the herbs were ground by an SCS, then transferred to the Diamond Grind for sifting. That gnocchi shape seems to be a unique signature of Santa Cruz Shredders, but I haven't paid enough attention yet to be sure.

EDIT 2: If anyone could direct me to a post that may help me understand how to best dry my herbs, that would be greatly appreciated. I think it's starting to click with me why having extra dry herbs is desirable in vaping. (It seems to be mostly so you can get the job done in, say, five draws instead of 20. Right?)

Last edited:

jojo0420

Cloud Chaser
@OF (or anyone), can you link to a good charger for Air batteries? When it was suggested to me a few days ago that I buy a battery charger, I was under the impression I'd have to pay over $40 for one, but now I'm thinking I'd easily be able to get one for more like $15. However, I don't know which one is the right one. I tried to figure it out on my own, but my brain just isn't very reliable anymore, in ways.

This is the one I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/D2-Rechargeab...8&qid=1440249614&sr=8-11&keywords=luc+charger

It's not the fastest, but that's better for your batteries.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Aimless Ryan

ON DRYING OUT
It could be about less OR more draws, but always more control. From what I've learned over the last few months (as humidity skyrockets on Long Island), and on FC, here is what I've come up with.

1. Store in mason jars, cvaults with boveda 62 (keep dark). This is long term storage where THC levels are supposed to rise over 2 months, 'final cure'. Be sure not to store too much in each jar, because the idea is to keep it closed.

2. Before vaping, and this is not about storing, get it dryer than 62% RH. This can usually be done by just grinding and leaving out for anywhere from minutes to days, but in high humidity areas, finding a way to dry out might be necessary (I've used a simple 100 watt incandescent bulb near my ground material for half an hour or so).

3. Getting the moisture out, gives access to THC. If the herb is a bit crispy (no color change), it should be good. Hits should be immediate due to not having to dry out the herb first. It should taste better, less harsh, and vape at lower temps. All around, it makes for a better session, but not necessarily less hits (with more THC per hit).

hope this kinda helps

ALSO: Arizer sells a 2 cell charger and you can get a nitecore on amazon, but stick with OEM batteries

OF

@OF (or anyone), can you link to a good charger for Air batteries?

Lots of good chargers out there for general use, and I've got several of 'em. But I can't recommend any here for two reasons:

1. It voids the warranty (granted you can easily 'get away with it', but.....)
2. I've always charged mine in the unit, so have no experience to offer.

On the rare occasion I get 'caught out' charge wise and have to swap in the (charged) backup, I simply recharge both afterwards. I have no trouble (thus far) keeping track of the four loads a full charger 'guarantees'. Not for everyone, I'm sure.

Your call, good luck with it.

This is long term storage where THC levels are supposed to rise over 2 months, 'final cure'. Be sure not to store too much in each jar, because the idea is to keep it closed.

You know, I've heard that (months of extra cure yield more THC) but I guess I just don't understand the idea, do you? No more is formed after the plant dies? Conversion of THCA? Seems to me like vaping might 'change the rules' if it is even real....... Any idea what backs up this claim?

TIA

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan to me......I bet it works just fine.

OF

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
As far as THC going up, I really have no idea. I just searched a few of the boveda thread, and I know it was mentioned, but for me it's all anecdotal evidence, as I have no idea of how much THC to start and when I vape it (obviously I can't measure it) - but I know it was discussed in a thread by an organic grower.

In all reality, tt probably just stores it at 62, whether increasing THC or not who the fuck knows, but it ensure herb doesn't overdry or mold. The last minute super dry is still spot on! :bowdown:

And I think the writers point about the ability to increase THC in dead herb was because the plants continue to live even after harvested (think fruit ripening). I have no idea about any of this and I'm in way over my head.

Placebo effect aside
, I find that the herb does seem to pack a bit of a bigger wallop after a month at 62 (can be all placebo, or just vapes better because of good storage, might not make any diff if combusting).

Either way, it's a sound method to store herb, and at least maintain it's effectiveness, and put it into a better condition for vaping. As long as I'm vaked on next to no weed, I'm good. :zzz:

HEAT LAMP UPDATE
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066L0YJE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Cast iron frying pan was almost too hot to hold, but you can put your hand under the lamp, as the heat "radiates" across the air, and builds up in the cast iron (glass tray was only slightly warm). I left the whole thing on for 20 minutes - herb seemed awesome, we'll see. I took the pic before throwing herb in.

bfQuyVY.jpg

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Lots of good chargers out there for general use, and I've got several of 'em. But I can't recommend any here for two reasons:

1. It voids the warranty (granted you can easily 'get away with it', but.....)
2. I've always charged mine in the unit, so have no experience to offer.

On the rare occasion I get 'caught out' charge wise and have to swap in the (charged) backup, I simply recharge both afterwards. I have no trouble (thus far) keeping track of the four loads a full charger 'guarantees'. Not for everyone, I'm sure.

Your call, good luck with it.

You know, I've heard that (months of extra cure yield more THC) but I guess I just don't understand the idea, do you? No more is formed after the plant dies? Conversion of THCA? Seems to me like vaping might 'change the rules' if it is even real....... Any idea what backs up this claim?

TIA

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan to me......I bet it works just fine.

OF
The acidic forms of cannabinoids are the precursors to regular cannabinoids, with curing small small amounts of the acids with naturally decarb. However I don't think it's enough to make a very noticeable change in any effects. For one, the acids are non-psychoactive. And they decarb when vaporized (due to the heat)... I have also read that alcohol can affect decarbing. It (decarbing) is more important for edibles and tinctures I'd say.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: OF
Top Bottom