Discontinued The 8 Herb Vaporizer for the Persei

OF

I mean iPhone spell check OF, I didn't win the eBay auction for Steve jobs ghost.

OK, got it. Sorry you lost the auction but I understand the Apple Hard Corps ran the bidding right up. Who'd have thought he'd be so popular when he was gone? Maybe they're going to rent him out? Kind of a 'Steve time share'? You could get your picture taken with 'the man' seems to me? Have him do your dishes and invite all your friends to come watch and make rude comments?

Hey, maybe we can get us a few Steves and go into the business? Maybe have one of them do a late night gas station tour with Elvis? We haven't had a good Elvis sighting in a while. Steve and Elvis eating Moon Pies in a 7-11 parking lot......there's a mental image to keep you up at night......

OF

OF

Hi THC,
Is there another place where we could learn more about the universal adapter since the mods locked the thread?. That's something I would be interested in.

I could be way off on this, but my take on it is we're nowhere near being able to order them. G was just establishing 'prior art' on the concept. There's been a lot of (IMO misplaced) chatter about makers copying each others designs (and worse), I see this as a counter to that in a fast moving field. As a guess they have a few prototypes as 'proof of concept' models and are moving into packaging and testing different versions, or they plan to be doing so soon at any rate.

There's a lot of steps and cycles to go through before you and I can order ours. How long that takes depends on how the concepts play out, how many changes are found, how many corners you want to cut and chances you'll take (consider what a 'return for replacement' for a few hundred units would cost....) and a host of other things even before you start thinking about production runs and pricing.

Right now, I'm not sure there's much more to talk about other than 'neat idea, hope it works out well'?

Like I said, I could be wrong and G has a trunkload with him at Deep Green tomorrow and starts handing them out like candy to the kiddies.......

OF

Ah, okay. That's what I was trying to figure out also. I must have misunderstood because I got the impression from the locked thread that we could expect an official announcement about the adapter next week as an alternative to the upcoming 8. So can THC confirm? Is this adapter still in the early idea stage or do we have an idea of when this might be happening?

TheDudeNextDoor,

wb21

Ah, okay. That's what I was trying to figure out also. I must have misunderstood because I got the impression from the locked thread that we could expect an official announcement about the adapter next week as an alternative to the upcoming 8. So can THC confirm? Is this adapter still in the early idea stage or do we have an idea of when this might be happening?
THC said somewhere he thinks the Universe will go into production in early may while the 8 will go into production end of may.

wb21,

OF

THC said somewhere he thinks the Universe will go into production in early may while the 8 will go into production end of may.

Understood, but consider two quotes from him on the subject (closed) thread. The first (message 17) gives a clue to the testing process:

"This is a herb cart that will can be used for extracts. The pure nail cart is under construction for the last time, if it performs its going into production."

The point being the nail cart has had several iterations tested and production is still hanging on the next test. Then in message 35 when asked pointedly 'when can I preorder' he said 3 days ago:

"We will have more info next week after full on testing begins."

To me that says it's a little premature to expect production in two weeks and delivery shortly after. My money's on the days getting shorter not longer before the first customer sees one and IMO we don't want it rushed. If testing finds something that can be done better, that's what I want. Look at all the 'early adopters' who get all upset when an improved model comes along......

While we all want it easy to find, cheap and yesterday; "take all the time you need to do a good job" has merits too I think. Anyway, in that thread G told us to 'wait until next week for more news' and we're not even half way there yet. We gotta play patient cards for a while.

OF

OpalinDays

Guys if you want something more portable I say the universe adapter, thats gonna be almost the same as a herb chamber but without the temp controls, sensor, and half the the capacity as a 8.

That's what I was thinking.. So how long would that setup be ?

OpalinDays,

wb21

is it official that the herb chamber will be able to handle whatever type of extract and bud in there? will you be able to put say ice wax and bud in the chamber at the same time?

wb21,

JoeKickass

is it official that the herb chamber will be able to handle whatever type of extract and bud in there? will you be able to put say ice wax and bud in the chamber at the same time?

From what I think I know about the way it works, yes. It should even be able to handle waxes and oils if you have enough bud for it to soak into.

The air comes from a center post & I believe the air openings are slightly raised from the bowl floor so it should be hard to clog them, but I might be mistaken...

JoeKickass,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Well thanks to G, DubC, and the crew from THC for the hospitality at deep green. I ran into Linda from youtube, Adam and Manny from the potcast were potcasting live from the event. I even ran into 420_grow who I don't see around here much anymore.

G showed me a bunch of prototype stuff and I don't know whats top secret or not so I will keep my mouth shut in that regard. One thing I will see is that prootype top for the V2 that G dropped and jammed into walls (see youtube videos) barely looks beat up and is still working fine. Its obviously very well made.

I can talk about the prototype 8 which I got to use for about 20 minutes. G showed me how to turn it on and let me take it to the vapor lounge and give it a shakedown. I loaded it up with OG salad and was sitting there chatting with Linda when someone comments about the herb chamber and wants to try it. I handed it to him and he took a couple of pulls and then ask's G if he can dump it out and look at the ABV. G nods and he does.... Then G introduces me to this gentleman who is also known around these parts at ThermoCoreTim. Tim and G spent some time talking while I went back to testing....

Bowl 1 was getting kinda of spent so I packed another freshy and vaped that one. I am going to make some comments and comparisons to the Arizer solo my go to device for herbs.

Comments:
1. Bowl was dirty but flavor will still good. Not as good as a totally clean solo but better than a dirty Solo. Bottom line, flavor was very good but I would need to compare on a clean unit to see if the flavor can compete with the Solo.
2. Draw was restrictive but not as restrictive as the Solo
3. Capacity was good. easily .2 or .3g can fit in the bowl. I loaded full bowls and did not
just try 0.05g.
4. Ease of use was dead simple.
5. Heat up time is faster than the Solo but not instantaneous.
6. Heat will not be an issue with this thing. it makes tons of heat. vaping cold water bubble will not be an issue.
7. The ABV was not burnt in any way but the bottom layer was extra well cooked (aka. the bottom layer of herb on a solo).
8. ABV in general was well cooked but uneven. This unit really needs some sort of means to stir the load while vaping to get even ABV and flavor.
9. The vapor coming out was too HOT. needs a longer inhalation path to cool down the vapor. This may also be caused by miscalibration but hits from 8 at 340F seemed way hotter to my throat than the my solo at temp 7. I usually run the Solo at 4.
10. Portable usage of this thing is better than the solo. smaller, lighter, easier to use and no glass peices.

Overall, Its very impressive. It works well and I know a lot of users would buy it today and be happy, but I know G wants to get the heating more even and deal with the external heat issues to make it safe for patients to use. If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

JoeKickass

3. Capacity was good. easily .2 or .3g can fit in the bowl. I loaded full bowls and did not
just try 0.05g.
8. ABV in general was well cooked but uneven. This unit really needs some sort of means to stir the load while vaping to get even ABV and flavor.

What's your guess on wax/oil with sufficient herb to soak into? Are the air holes raised up a bit off the bottom or could wax drain into them?

JoeKickass,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
What's your guess on wax/oil with sufficient herb to soak into? Are the air holes raised up a bit off the bottom or could wax drain into them?

That's unclear at this point. Never tried that with the solo either. As you know though cold water pancakes work very well in the Solo. I'm not gonna comment on the bowl design. Its seemed quite simple and honestly didn't want to get technical and try and figure out how it works or what the airpath was but just use it for herb and comment on that. I know the final design will be different. DubC will have a proto unit to test so I imagine he will be able to comment shortly when he gets a chance to run it through its paces.

JoeKickass

That's unclear at this point. Never tried that with the solo either. as you know though cold water pancakes work very well. I'm not gonna comment on the bowl design. Its seemed quite simple and honestly didn't want to get technical and try and figure out how it works but just use. I know the final design will be different.

Yeah I actually agree, I really like to keep my herb vaporizers as dry as possible. If you get stuff that's too sticky in there you're going to build up dry abv dust like crazy. Some bubble hashes semi-melt but it's never a problem with some herb :leaf:

Just trying to get a feel for the depth of the bowl because it looked like a very shallow doughnut to me, but like you said, I'm sure the bowl will change

JoeKickass,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Hello Guys, it was a pleasure meating OF and Sinclue, It was nice seeing you Rufrothy.

We the show went well, just a little crazy, me and OF had a long conversation and it was learning experience.

well i hope i can answers questions but today im gonna rest. Tomorrow i will get back on the board and read about 4 pages on each thread we have going. Night all.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Ok after reading through all the posts i hope i got them all, here some info.

The prototypes that everyone saw at the show its ok to talk about.

the air path is raised up in the chamber so it is about 1/8th inch raised from the bottom of the bowl.

The unit will be constructed from all high grade material, the heater will be Ai203 ceramic, and will have a delrin mouth piece.

The mouth piece will have a filter system that you can use what ever type of filter you want.

Example: Activated carbon, Porous Ceramic, or a wet cloth with a little flavoring on it. What ever you want to use as a filter is up to you. If it fits and will air pass through your good to go.

We did this option so that people are not tied to one type of filter but can choose what they want.

The unit does get hot a little bit, but thats because it is still a prototype.

We have three prototypes. Dubc will get one and i will talk to him about letting OF have it for the weekend to try it out and maybe show it off to a few friends of his who like to vaporize.

Adobewan will get one to test out for a week. Then we will give that one out to another member to out, and that would be Sinclue, the unit has to be returned guys sorry i would love for you to keep it but for testing these things out each one of you will get a free herb chamber when they come out.

DubCRider

OF and I are pretty good at sharing....

Stoked!

It was also nice meeting other forum members Saturday. More Bay Area events to come!

DubCRider,
Reactions: Sinclue

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
We have three prototypes. Dubc will get one and i will talk to him about letting OF have it for the weekend to try it out and maybe show it off to a few friends of his who like to vaporize.

Adobewan will get one to test out for a week. Then we will give that one out to another member to out, and that would be Sinclue, the unit has to be returned guys sorry i would love for you to keep it but for testing these things out each one of you will get a free herb chamber when they come out.

Hey Boss, it was fun to meet you and your crew, and, as an extra bonus, OF himself.

Although I didn’t actually get to test the herb chamber at that moment, I had the oddest feeling just holding it. It felt “right”. Can’t really explain it much better than than. The heft, the feel, the look, the balance was right on. In my experience its something shared by most quality tools and equipment. I really appreciate the opportunity to test it out.

The interchangeable mouthpiece is a great idea too. I don’t think anybody saw that one coming.

Sounds like you’ve got tons of great ideas stacked up for the future. And that you are so open to feedback can only be of benefit to us all.

And as was suggested I found that letting the leaky 4ohm test carts cool down after sucking clear the air tube plus laying them on their sides has virtualy eliminated the leaking.
The second two carts are still leak free, but I used a more waxy mix in those. But as you pointed out its kind of impossible to anticipate every situation and every use we might put them to.

Sinclue,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
OF and I are pretty good at sharing....

Stoked!

It was also nice meeting other forum members Saturday. More Bay Area events to come!

Ah, that was probably you wielding the Persei Double Top out there in the smoking area blowing people away. Definitely a good use for it.

OF

Sounds like you’ve got tons of great ideas stacked up for the future. And that you are so open to feedback can only be of benefit to us all.

And as was suggested I found that letting the leaky 4ohm test carts cool down after sucking clear the air tube plus laying them on their sides has virtualy eliminated the leaking.
The second two carts are still leak free, but I used a more waxy mix in those. But as you pointed out its kind of impossible to anticipate every situation and every use we might put them to.

Boy, isn't that just the truth? That G guy sure isn't short on thoughts and plans is he? If even a small fraction come to pass some more exciting stuff is happening, he has the resources and attitude to pull it off. A classic 'risk taker' of the old school.

As to the wisdom of giving me one of the prototypes folks can make up their own mind how big an error in judgment that really is. I see two points worth mentioning, it will be nice to check it out without the pressure and confusion of the show. Not to mention having G 3 feet away. Secondly, he doesn't know my real name (how smart can he really be?).

I wish I'd had time to walk around and check other stuff out, but the opportunity to sit and chat with G is something not likely to come up again any time soon. Good thing there's more shows coming.....

I too have had some success with 4 Ohm leakers as we briefly discussed Saturday, I've got to take stock but last I checked two of the three had changed their ways with draining as much oil as possible out (leaves about 150mg) and adding half a gram or so of SD wax. A fourth got half a gram or so of the 'leaking oil' drained from the others and last I checked was still leak tight. While that oil has never been an issue with 8 or more loadings of a gram in 2.4 Ohm carts (but leaked with the new 4s) but it does seem to work OK with partial fills and once 'thickened up a bit' with other concentrate seems to work fine. My guess is it was really marginal in 2.4s and there's just enough difference with the test carts to push it over the line. The carts seem to do just fine if fed 'the right stuff'. For the rest we have other options now, with more to come soon.....we'll just have to carry on somehow?

Cheers to all, and thanks for the company it was a real 'sailor's night out' for sure.

OF

PS. Hey, I just had an idea, when G foolishly gives you the prototype, DubC how about we set up a deal where 'the guys' can come see and (for a fee, of course) touch it? If they have enough to slip under the table maybe even get their picture snapped with it? Cash in small bills or top shelf drugs in original packing, same as always, right? OF

jpdnkstr

Can't wait for the 8!...... and Universe ......and nail cart. Persei will arrive in an hour..... Totallly Stoked!

OF

Can't wait for the 8!...... and Universe ......and nail cart. Persei will arrive in an hour..... Totallly Stoked!

Hey, no offense, but you think you're stoked? Let me tell you about stoked.... A couple of hours ago I read G intends to send me one of the prototype 8s to check out on my own! No coaching. And after the genuine horror show I tried not to put on when I combusted with it in public (at the show) and all. Man trusts his product or (as I'd rather think) he's dead serious about a proper 'shakedown' of it before he puts his name on it and puts them in customers hands.

I tend to be kind of a 'let the chips fall' kinda guy. G knows that if it comes up lame I'm far more likely to bring it up with the first guy here that asks than I'm likely to call him and discuss it. That says something.

So, I don't know how you're calibrated, but that's a solid 1.0 on my Stokiometer.....

OF

JoeKickass

Hey, no offense, but you think you're stoked? Let me tell you about stoked.... A couple of hours ago I read G intends to send me one of the prototype 8s to check out on my own!

So, I don't know how you're calibrated, but that's a solid 1.0 on my Stokiometer.....

OF

I figured I at least had a chance when he was giving out 10... :(

If you and dubc do plan on doing show & tell in the bay area I could break out my Stokiometer too :)

JoeKickass,

OF

Show and tell for sure! Once I get it we can start setting dates.

Very cool. I suggest when you get firm dates we move on plans so guys can schedule? Post delivery will be shorter time frame.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom