The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Frankly, a little religious disharmony, from the standpoint of a non-believer, is like arguing over whether Santa is Black or White: it's fun. Pass the popcorn.

EDIT
====

Don't bother, they're here.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

This whole Pope versus Trump thing could evolve into Christians versus Catholics. Hmmm.........where have I heard this before.

Catholics are Christians.. I think what you meant was evangelicals vs Catholics..

I think Trump will be making a terrible mistake going to war with the pope.. I'm not even religious and I like pope Francis...but, watch trump rise in the polls once again haha..

@CarolKing most Hispanic Catholics are democrats anyway, so I doubt it will make a difference there, but white Catholics are mostly republicans so having a verbal war with the pope can't be good.. I think. However, a large segment of evangelicals don't view the pope positively so maybe they will think it's great that Trump is taking him on..

This election cycle is the craziest I've ever seen.. And we're just getting started.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Trump said the Pope's comments are disgraceful. He said, "if Isis hits the Vatican they better hope I'm the President." He said no man has the right to question another man's faith. Donald Trump is always questioning others faith such as Ted Cruz for one.

He's not following in the steps of Jesus.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

Trump said the Pope's comments are disgraceful. He said, "if Isis his the Vatican they better hope I'm the President." He said no man has the right to question another man's faith.

According to Catholic teachings the Pope is considered to be infallible in all matters of religion. Therefore, if he says Trump is a non Christian conservative Catholics will certainly take that into account.

Actually calling the Pope disgraceful. That has to be over the line...right?

Gunky

According to Catholic teachings the Pope is considered to be infallible in all matters of religion. Therefore, if he says Trump is a non Christian conservative Catholics will certainly take that into account.

Actually calling the Pope disgraceful. That has to be over the line...right?
I think the pope is disgraceful for making Junipero Serra into a saint. What an insult to anyone's intelligence. After that to me he became just some Argentine priest who made high mucky-muck in the Catholic Church. If he really cared about helping the human race he would change his church's policies about birth control.

Let's leave aside the validity of the Pope's criticism of Trump as not Christian. He should not be putting his oar in secular, political waters like this, and if he criticizes Trump as not sufficiently Christian what will he make of Bernie? He should shut up about the election, IMO. The media fawns way too much over Pope Francis.

Last edited:

CarolKing

My mom was a devout Christian. What bothered her about the republicans is that they didn't act like Christians even though they are suppose to be more religious party more so than the demonic Democratic Party.
My mom was also a life long democrat and so was my grandma. She felt like people should be walking in the steps of Jesus by helping the hungry, the poor and destitute. That would be the democrats that help the poor more than the other party.

My mom is no longer alive but she would be floored at what is accepted as OK behavior.

I really worry about the behavior of part of a society that would blindly follow such a crazy man such as Donald Trump. He keeps calling all the rest of the candidates crazy. He starts taking a few lines and repeats them over and over again.

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I saw Trump's response to the Pope and he didn't really step over any lines IMO...... Unless you count speaking to and about the Pope as if he were a mere mortal who puts his pants on one leg at a time....oh wait, he doesn't wear pants.

Edit: I stand corrected. If you dig a little there is mention that the Pope does wear a type of mid-calf legging akin to long shorts.

Last edited:

Farid

The Republican party relies on Born Again Evangelical Christians more than Catholics and other sects. It's still not a good idea to go after the Pope, considering he's a respected figure to non-Catholics as well.

He should not be putting his oar in secular, political waters like this, and if he criticizes Trump as not sufficiently Christian what will he make of Bernie? He should shut up about the election, IMO. The media fawns way too much over Pope Francis.
The Papacy has always been a political as well as religious position. That's one of the signature aspects of Catholicism which Luther opposed when he wrote his 95 Theses. As for what he thinks about Sanders, who's to say. Catholics recognize Judaism as the precursor to Christianity, and many Catholics risked their lives to save European Jews from Nazi extermination, so I doubt antisemitism is a driving factor in Catholic politics today.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

I saw Trump's response to the Pope and he didn't really step over any lines IMO...... Unless you count speaking to and about the Pope as if he were a mere mortal who puts his pants on one leg at a time....oh wait, he doesn't wear pants.

It's not whether you or I think Trump crossed the line; it's whether conservative Catholics believe he did. I think Trump will regret mixing it up with the Pope..

@Gunky Bernie is not trying to divide people by race like Trump is.. The Pope was basically referring to the fact of it being immoral and inhumane to build a wall on the border of Mexico as Trump has proposed.. That said, I agree with you that Pope Francis should not have said what he did, but the fact of the matter is that by engaging in a verbal battle with the pope will not help Trump win over conservative Catholics that's for sure..

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
It's not whether you or I think Trump crossed the line; it's whether conservative Catholics believe he did. I think Trump will regret mixing it up with the Pope..

You have a point there. My view as an atheist is not likely to be the same as a practicing conservative Catholic.

I still stand by my interpretation of what I saw on T.V. when Trump addressed the Pope's remarks though. After watching him say some outlandish, childish things with that petulant ridiculous look on his face I was waiting and hoping he would do the same relative to the Pope. I was hoping he would cross that line in a big way and seriously sabotage himself. I didn't feel like I got my wish. I wondered to myself 'Did he tone it down purposely'? This was nowhere near the usual 'Hey Jeb, is your mommy gonna fight this battle for ya' kind of thing.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

I agree with some things Pope Francis says

Me too.. I don't agree with a whole lot of stuff that the Pope says and the Catholic Church in general. I was more referring to the catholic social teachings about helping the poor and social and economic justice.. On those issues both Bernie and Hillary would agree as do I..

grokit

well-worn member
He's not following in the steps of Jesus.
What would bernie do?
:razz:; check this out:

Do you love Bernie? Do you need a lover? Let's play!

(But play by the rules. This isn't a lawless land of love.)

1. No nudity/dick pics. Common decency and all that? Punishment is immediate kick/ban. Don't even SEND a dick pick via PM unless you have been asked. Don't post booty/bulge threads.
2. Don't "jokingly" ask for nudes. It's not funny and makes people uncomfortable.
3. Treat others with respect. "Wʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ Bᴇʀɴɪᴇ ᴅᴏ?" is a great motto to live by.

Bernie Sanders Dating Site Crashes After Millions Try To Register

:party:

CarolKing

Referring to the Pope's comment about building bridges instead of walls. One of Trump's head guys said that the Vatican is surrounded by a large wall. The attacks continue back and forth. Every day it's a new fight for Trump.

I suppose Trump's ratings will soar.

Edit
The higher they fly the harder the fall.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

I suppose Trump's ratings will soar.

If recent history is any prediction of the future...then yes. He's already winning the media battle and Trump is the one they're talking about. Trump's far right immigration policy is what shot him up in the polls initially, therefore, if that topic is front and center again.. That's a win for Trump. Wow, this guy knows how to play the game much better than the career politicians!

It seems that his republican rivals have chosen to support trump on this as well (even Mr.Catholic Rubio). I think all the candidates are scared to side with The Pope going into heavily Evangelical South Carolina primary.. A majority of Evangelicals have a problem with the Pope viewed as the leader of Christians across the globe. not a lot of love for the Pope in South Carolina..

MinnBobber

Don't get me started on the Pope.
- Did I miss the part where the Vatican said it will take in 50,000 Syrian refugees and place them?
- And it's a good thing he can hand out advice so freely, as he has nothing better to do, like to clean up his own glass (just move the abusers around) house :(

CarolKing

The next thing we will know Donald Trump will start talking about all the priest that were caught diddling little kids over the last 100+ years. It's unnatural to think a person can sustain from sex his or her whole life. Back to the subject at hand - started to derail.

lwien

It's unnatural to think a person can sustain from sex his or her whole life.

KAvMCaO.jpg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I think the pope is disgraceful for making Junipero Serra into a saint.

Spanish conquistadores at first considered the indigenous populations non-humans without "souls", so they were just beasts of burden. It was the missionaries who traveled with the conquistadores who first considered the indigenous populations were human with souls, thus "Savable". Really, savable slaves.

Gunky

They rounded up villages, forced them to live and work in the missions, where they usually died from diseases the Spanish gave them, converted them to Christianity by force... As mission Indians died off they went in search of ever more villages to grab more free labor. They understood the consequences of their treatment of the Indians and did it anyway until they killed most of them off. Saint my ass!

Top Bottom