The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

Gunky

Rubio has been pandering away to the anti-Muslim crowd. Virtually every Republican candidate has made a 'tactical' shift toward Trump's positions on Muslims. That's why I wonder if anyone will actually try to clock Trump at the debate. They are all walking a very fine line. If they say he's a racist and a bigot, how do they go on pretending they'll support him if he gets the nomination?

Jeb! has been known to say the repub primary process drags candidates so far to the right they lose the general in order to win the primaries. When all the shouting is over and the repubs have their nominee, they are going to face general public that now views them all with a jaundiced eye. The openings for dems are pretty wonderful. The R candidates likely to win the nomination all would likely damage the R majority in both houses. Next to these Mitt Romney looks like a very reasonable candidate. Keep in mind that I detest Mitt.

Last edited:
IDK, my guess is the establishment guys like Rubio and Bush will hit Trump pretty hard. However, Cruz is basically Trump without the one liners and insults. Trump and Cruz's ideology are so similar, the only thing different is much different personality traits. I also think Trump and Cruz like each other too much to go after each other hard. My gut feeling is that if Trump eventually tanks, Cruz will be there to grab most of the Trump supporters which may give him a path to the nomination.

As I've said before, IMO Trump and Cruz are too far right to have a good chance of winning in the general. If I were a Republican( so happy I'm not), I'd want to put Rubio up against Hillary. I think Clinton would still win, but could be a nail biter. The Republican establishment loves Rubio and absolutely hates Trump and has no love for Cruz either..

After Trumps recent craziness, I can't wait until Tuesday night. Should be a very heated debate to say the least...

Rubio cant win Florida. I both live in and travel the state frequently because of family. People generally dont trust him. The media have slapped him around a good bit over the years and have compared him to Charlie Christ the flip flopper which the republican voters in this state equate him with now. For the most part at least. Breitbart Online really tore him a new one several times as well.

Point being if you cant win your own state then get back to the senate where you belong. The rest of the countrys voters wont respect you if you cant win your own state. The man was elected to represent myself and my fellow citizens not piss away voting opportunities to make stump speeches. Waste of my tax money. Waste of a senate seat too. Hes been absolutely worthless even to his own party up until now. If his last name was Smith he would have Zero value to them.

It is frustrating living in the Fascist Pharma State know as Florida. Honest to god my friends and I will look at each other and ask, "You think that guy is packing", "I dont know maybe, dont mess around he might go all citizens arrest and castle doctrine your ass", "Yeah man".

Nothing more frightening than having your "average citizen" pull a pistol on you and demand submission because of mistaken identity.

This was supposed to be a private message I dont know what I clicked wrong. Must have spaced out. Woops:)

Okay I admit Rubio did good when he said no to Cuba. I support dialogue but thats it. Oppression is not cool. Other than that Rubio is an elephant turd. In my humble opinion.

Last edited:
DisgruntledSmoker,

lwien

Rubio cant win Florida. I both live in and travel the state frequently because of family. People generally dont trust him. The media have slapped him around a good bit over the years and have compared him to Charlie Christ the flip flopper which the republican voters in this state equate him with now. For the most part at least. Breitbart Online really tore him a new one several times as well.

Point being if you cant win your own state then get back to the senate where you belong. The rest of the countrys voters wont respect you if you cant win your own state. The man was elected to represent myself and my fellow citizens not piss away voting opportunities to make stump speeches. Waste of my tax money. Waste of a senate seat too. Hes been absolutely worthless even to his own party up until now. If his last name was Smith he would have Zero value to them.

It is frustrating living in the Fascist Pharma State know as Florida. Honest to god my friends and I will look at each other and ask, "You think that guy is packing", "I dont know maybe, dont mess around he might go all citizens arrest and castle doctrine your ass", "Yeah man".

Nothing more frightening than having your "average citizen" pull a pistol on you and demand submission because of mistaken identity.

This was supposed to be a private message I dont know what I clicked wrong. Must have spaced out. Woops:)

Okay I admit Rubio did good when he said no to Cuba. I support dialogue but thats it. Oppression is not cool. Other than that Rubio is an elephant turd. In my humble opinion.

While all that may be true, I still think that Rubio is the GOP's best shot at winning the general.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
While all that may be true, I still think that Rubio is the GOP's best shot at winning the general.

Rubio gives good 'face'. And lets not lose sight of the fact that he was elected....he who does not know history........

His_Highness,

Gunky

I agree Rubio might be the R's best shot in the general. The polling now makes him look good for the general but I don't think that would hold. Rubio's charisma, if it can be called that, is mighty thin. When he runs out of memorized licks, he looks like a deer in the headlights and freezes up. In order to improvise well you have to have some depth, experience, ideas. He doesn't have anything different from Mitt Romney, John McCain, George W. Bush, etc - lower taxes on rich people. Even repubs are beginning to grumble about that. We gave tax breaks for the 1% and austerity a try and it does not work. In spite of the dog's breakfast GW Bush left in his wake, the U.S. is in the relatively good economic position it is today because we mostly didn't follow the republican prescription - tax cuts and austerity - after the crash; much of Europe did what the repubs wanted us to do and are now deep in the soup. Rubio's program is more of the same, doesn't add up and won't survive scrutiny. He is a lightweight. And he has made so many compromising statements recently that will come back to haunt him should he get the nomination!

grokit

well-worn member
The Half-Hearted Case for Rubio
P.J. O’Rourke tries to figure out why he should support the best of the Republican lot.

I must, I can, I will be positive about Marco Rubio. I’m a Republican. Rubio is the least insane candidate (low bar) with the best chance (faint hope) of actually beating Hillary.

The patients have taken over the GOP psychiatric ward. The shrink is on the couch. The loonies are thoughtfully stroking their chins asking the sane Republican, “Why do you think Barack Hussein Obama, who bows to Mecca five times each day, wasn’t raised by KGB agents in Karjackistan?”

Rubio’s all I’ve got left. Jeb Bush was the Super Bowl Goodyear Blimp of Republican candidates. Then he took his campaign playbook from the John Frankenheimer movie Black Sunday.

Rand Paul seems to be running for president of Galt’s Gulch in Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged.

Chris Christie is stuck in traffic.

John Kasich is polling somewhere to the right of the decimal point in those incommensurable ratios that my Algebra II teacher was talking about before I flunked.

The Nabisco Graham cracker box has more Twitter followers than “Graham Cracker” Lindsey does.

And Republican primary voters don’t know Pataki from Pikachu in Pokemon. Anyway, Republicans aren’t going to nominate an electric Japanese anime rat for president. They’re not that crazy. I think.

(By the way, hat’s off to the Democrats in this election cycle. They may be stupid but they’re not psychotic. They took one look at screwy-kablooey commander of the Vermont Cong Bernie Sanders and said, “Nope, nominate the lying old fishwife.”)

Okay, what’s really great about Marco Rubio is… Don’t rush me…
Marco Rubio is a Washington outsider!

Well, actually, he’s a U. S. Senator. But he’s missed a lot Senate votes, and I assume that was because, during the voting, Rubio was outside Washington. This counts.

Okay, what’s really great about Marco Rubio is… Don’t rush me…
Marco Rubio’s finances are a mess!

Rubio owns houses that he has trouble paying for. We, the American people, own two houses (of Congress) and the White House that we have trouble paying for.

Rubio emptied his retirement account to meet current expenses. This is exactly the way Social Security works.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/12/the-half-hearted-case-for-rubio.html

Last edited:

Gunky

That was amusing, esp the bit about least insane, but I didn't appreciate the 'fishwife' comment. What a dork. His casual misogyny is part and parcel of what is wrong with those 'insane' candidates.
And "Vermont Cong Bernie Sanders"? He is trying to slander Bernie as a Vietcong? Bad P.J.!

What I see here is the same group of GOP voters. They haven't changed much. But the politicians used to keep their xenophobia and racism to dog whistles and hints. Double meanings and ambiguity. Nowadays they don't bother - Palin, Trump, et al have brought all the bigotry of the party to the surface. It's hanging out there, unabashed and proud. And all the candidates are bending with the wind. Trumpy and Teddy and Marco got half the governors in the country so stirred up they decided no Syrian refugees in my state. The problem is you can't win with that. Demographics. The GOP is self-destructing as we watch.

Last edited:

Chill Dude

New Bloomberg poll has Cruz with a commanding lead over Trump in Iowa..

Cruz 31%

Trump. 21%

I don't think Trump will be mentioning that poll Tuesday night LOL...

grokit

well-worn member
And with this Trump fiasco, it's like watching a train wreck in slo-mo.
Carson and fiorina (who?) seem more "truth-challenged" than even the rest of this bunch :lol:

edit:
Rand Paul seems to be running for president of Galt’s Gulch in Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged.
This was my favorite part, gotta have a libertarian attack dog in the mix :tup:

Last edited:
grokit,

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Donald Trump bought the rights to Jebbush.com. He keeps showing us how unpresidential he is with these outrageous stunts. When you type that in it goes to Donald Trumps website. This guy just shows over and over again that he doesn't have the ability to be president of the United States. He keeps putting out these childish and dangerous statements to the media.

I wish he would go away. Please somebody come up with something to disqualify him.
Sd6z9y3.jpg
Yea, @CarolKing, I wish he went away before this thanksgiving. Gawd that Scumbag Steve meme is awfully accurate. I'm tired of the blowhard quoting his numbers in the polls, when anybody points out anything worth mentioning to him. Like we are all here to placate his ego. Hate how the press had made him as popular as any other trash tv star. Then plays up the outrage factor. :rolleyes: We have several other candidates who's political positions need scrutinizing. Now it is all about what the leader of the new Know Nothing Party has to blurt out. What is more nausea inducing is Ted Cruz trying to tap into Trump's mojo. When Trump will bow out or be shown the door, Cruz hopes to gain on that. Or maybe he already has?

BTW Isn't Ted Cruz canadian born? Shouldn't he be disqualified?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The Donald's poll numbers are stunning. Peoples anger and fear explain some portion of them, but something else is going on that I haven't figured out. And I will NOT just except the suggestion that such a large part of even the republican party are just bigots...

I mean it's not a huge percentage of the electorate, but it is certainly beyond what I would expect. And it is very disconcerting...

lwien

The Donald's poll numbers are stunning. Peoples anger and fear explain some portion of them, but something else is going on that I haven't figured out. And I will NOT just except the suggestion that such a large part of even the republican party are just bigots...

I mean it's not a huge percentage of the electorate, but it is certainly beyond what I would expect. And it is very disconcerting...

23% percent of Americans consider themselves Republicans and Trump has garnered about one third of that 23%............just to help put things in perspective. (Will put up sources if requested.)

Edit: Just a sidebar. 43% of Republicans believe that Obama is a Muslim and I would venture to guess that a large percentage of that 43% also belong to the FlatEarth Society.

Last edited:

Adobewan

With the advent of the internet, people, primarily the younger generation, have access to the truth like no other time in the past. Granted, it takes sifting and balancing, but lies are harder to hide nowadays, as is evidence that our political and corporate leaders are corrupt.

After the banking crisis, Wall Street stealing from the people, the nearly unlimited amount of money our government will invest in their "Warporation"(not to mention the blood of our children), and many more things out of their control people feel helpless.
When people feel helpless they want to knock the whole thing down and rebuild upon lessons learned. They want a hammer, not a scalpel and for whatever we make of Trump, he's a hammer, granted a sledgehammer, unbeholden to the financial kings that run the Repubs and Dems, that many of those people feel could knock down the status quo.

Hilary has a lot going against her in terms of perception, while Trump is a television personality.
Unfortunately those are deciding factors for a significant portion of the voting populace.
As crazy as it seems, Trump has a chance of taking this.
I imagine it would be like some 80's sci-fi about a future where Celebrity Apprentice is advertised on 300 ft twin LCDs on top of the White House as he fires Congress from the podium. "You guys are the greatest, and I love you,.. but your fired."

Now if it came down to Trump and Sanders...

howie105

With over a year till someone takes over the office and given all the candidate positioning to this point I suspect Trump is just part of the show and will exit at some point. The big question is will he exit because he has been beaten as a candidate, gotten a cue from the party elders, self destructed, been vaporized by the press or hopefully deserted by his base after they consider him a little more closely. Hope, we can always have it.

howie105,

Gunky

I think it is conceivable Trump could be nominated but Cruz probably has a better chance of nomination. Cruz is just as bad as Trump, in my view. I don't see either of them (or Rubio or Bush for that matter) getting elected president. Because their bigotry, their misogyny, their half-baked economic plans, their climate change denial, their insistence on policies that enrich the already wealthy and hollow out the middle class, their war-mongering - all that is out there and a majority of U.S. voters will reject it. The national polls today reflect an electorate that doesn't really know much about Cruz or Rubio. The polls will change when people become more aware of who these people are and what their 'accomplishments' are. Cruz, in particular, is a bad face and will not withstand scrutiny outside of the conservative base.

grokit

well-worn member
Trump isn't going anywhere.

“I’m not getting out. I’m going to win.”

They seem to like each other, so how about a Trump/Cruz ticket?

Donald Trump Hits Media on Exit Rumors,
‘I’m Going to Win’

Carson-Trump-Getty-640x480.jpg

GOP frontrunner Donald Trump said he hasn’t given “one percent” of thought to getting out of the GOP presidential nominee race.

“Not even a thought, not even 1 percent of the thought,” Trump said during an interview with CNN. “Why would I get out?” Trump asked, citing his lead over other GOP candidates in the polls. “I’m not going anywhere.”

The Hill reported Trump said he would drop out of the race if he dropped to single digits in the polls in an interview with CNBC.com.

“The media is so dishonest, it’s so disgusting,” said Trump about how the media interprets his comments. “I’m not getting out. I’m going to win.”

According to Real Clear Politics, Trump has a five-point lead over the GOP field nationally.

:mental:

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: Derrrpp

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Clearly, after watching much of the debate last night, The Donald is NOT the only one running for President who has an ego problem... ;)

Then again, I suppose it takes a certain sense of self to imagine that you are qualified to be the "leader of the free world" anyway. So, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The trick, I guess, is finding someone who actually deserves the necessary trust. Sadly, I didn't see anyone like that on the stage last night.

grokit

well-worn member
The only candidates that have over a 50% trust rating are sanders and o'malley.
:goat: Don't shoot the messenger!

:buzz:

grokit,
Reactions: Derrrpp

KimDracula

People who don't pay enough attention and think that all politicians are the same, Republican or Democrat, need to take a closer look at what the GOP has been pushing for decades.

KimDracula,
Reactions: cybrguy

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Gunky - I wish you had watched the second scheduled debate with Trump......

I am particularly sensitive to visual cues/body language and, to me, Trump's facial expressions were so juvenile that I was actually embarrassed for the US. I'm embarrassed because other countries may be thinking incredulously 'They take this man seriously AND he's a front runner'!?!?! The world would be well within it's rights to think we have lost several IQ points as a nation after last night.

I was surprised when I saw that nobody mentioned this in this thread. How can anyone see those expressions and not come away thinking he was acting like a spoiled child and still is taken seriously.

Top Bottom