The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

grokit

well-worn member
:puke:
The debate, i agree...
If killary is indeed the end of america, it's too bad drumpf is such an inarticulate doofus :spliff:

Does "The Levant" you find on the map include Israel?
Fuck all the IS-names, they imply an islamic state. They are not islamic and they have no state :rant:

Calling these tools IS, ISIL, or ISIS would imply a certain amount of respect, and a degree of legitimization they do not deserve. I wrote the white house a while ago, and asked obama to stop calling these criminals by their desired name. Actually I responded to an email where he used the term, and it didn't bounce.

I agree that they should be called daesh, because it doesn't imply the same thing and they hate it.

World leaders have taken to calling ISIS “Daesh,” a word the Islamic State hates.

Since the attacks in Paris, both John Kerry and François Hollande have used it. The Kurdish militants battling ISIS in Iraq already use the term regularly, though they risk losing their tongues by uttering it.

Daesh is an acronym. It stands for the Arabic name of the Islamic State: al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. When Jen Percy, a New Republic contributor, went to northern Iraq this year, the Assyrian Christians waging a war against ISIS were calling ISIS troops “Daesh.” In her article for our September issue, she called it “a pejorative term for ISIS in Arabic.”

Zeba Khan, writing for the Boston Globe, has explained why “Daesh” could be read as an insult: “Depending on how it is conjugated in Arabic, it can mean anything from ‘to trample down and crush’ to ‘a bigot who imposes his view on others.’”

In light of its more unsavory connotations, ISIS leaders threatened last June “to cut the tongue of anyone who publicly used the acronym Daesh, instead of referring to the group by its full name,” according to the Associated Press.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/123...ing-isis-daesh-a-word-the-islamic-state-hates

:myday:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
That was a real fucking train wreck. Either way all hail the supreme leader :bowdown:

o0jRTLS.jpg

Farid

After Trump's performance last night, I am confident that he purposely threw the election, or that he never had plans to win and is just doing it for publicity (maybe it has to do with him wanting to create a media corporation like grokit and steama have brought up). It now makes sense why Bill Clinton would ask him to run. Every time Trump has the opportunity to destroy Clinton he says something stupid and off base.

Perfect example is Russia and Syria fighting ISIS. The moderators last night lied and tried to say that isn't true. Instead of rolling over Trump should have called them out on that and said, no, it is true. He is too stupid though, and can't keep track of his own lies, so he can't properly defend the few truths he does say.

grokit

well-worn member
In the "does anybody even care anymore?" dept...

Trump's email servers are on unsecured and unsupported 2003 system

GettyImages-614756968.jpg

CHARLOTTE, NC - OCTOBER 14: Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks to supporters at a rally on October 14, 2016 at the Charlotte Convention Center in Charlotte, North Carolina. Trump continues to campaign for his run for president of the United States. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)

Late yesterday, Kevin Beaumont, a cyber security architect, tweeted out this.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/788148795716542464/photo/1
Quick update on Trump corp email servers
- all internet accessible, single factor auth, no MDM, Win2003, no security patching.
2:44 PM - 17 Oct 2016; 1,365 1,365 Retweets; 1,350 1,350 likes​

What this means is that, according to Beaumont, Trump corp email servers and systems are as secure as a Miss Teen USA’s dressing room is at a Trump-hosted event.

“Running outdated software and operating systems for your publicly facing email infrastructure is problematic, especially when you're a high profile organisation,” security architect Kevin Beaumont, who highlighted the issues with Trump’s servers, told Motherboard in an email. “During an election where cybersecurity is such a big issue, I was a little amazed at what I saw.”

A number of mail servers for TrumpOrg.com, a domain registered to The Trump Organization, are using end-of-life software, according to Beaumont. Those include the operating system Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0, which comes shipped with it.

“IIS is a webserver, and it’s particularly dangerous to run unpatched,” Beaumont told Motherboard.

One of the more frightening lapses in judgement at a time when cyber security is high on the list of concerns as we enter our brave new millennium.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...-are-on-unsecured-and-unsupported-2003-system

jay87

I hate talking about this, but, should he have lied on the matter like Hillary? She still has not accepted the legitimacy of Bush's election. (Gore promised too. Until, not.) Are we now saying we require candidates to lie to us?

The correct answer is "Of course I will accept the results of the election and I'm confident I'm going to win."

To say "I may not accept the results if I lose" is very similar to saying "If I lose I'm going to cause trouble"

The latter, even if it's the truth, is particularly troubling :disgust:

lwien

The situation between what happened with Gore and what Trump just did is TOTALLY different. I know the Trumps and Trumpets are spouting this thrash but they are not the same. One just has to look back in history and see the chronological state of events that happened with Gore and you'll come back and say that they are not, in any way, the same.

And @OldNewbie, I do not mean to put you in the same category as those Trumps and Trumpets. That is not my intent but I had to say what I said. Apologies out in advance......

lwien

Michelle just did it again. Just saw her do her thing in Arizona. Sooooo inspirational and when one contrasts what she says versus what Trump says it's just.................fuck, I can't even put it into words.

Our country NEEDS her. Our country REALLY needs her for she will not only be known as "the closer", she will also be known as "the healer".

Last edited:

Tranquility

The situation between what happened with Gore and what Trump just did is TOTALLY different. I know the Trumps and Trumpets are spouting this thrash but they are not the same. One just has to look back in history and see the chronological state of events that happened with Gore and you'll come back and say that they are not, in any way, the same.
In the hundreds of millions of dollars Hillary has spent, I assure you there is retained a team of election attorneys prepared to contest or file a legal challenge in the case of a questionable result. I'm sure she will look at the results at the time and make a determination as to if she will accept the results.
@OldNewbie, I do not mean to put you in the same category as those Trumps and Trumpets. That is not my intent but I had to say what I said. Apologies out in advance......
I'm old and have been on boards, mailing lists and news groups of different types for a very long time. My skin is pretty thick. Thank you for the pre-apology, but (;)), I'm good. Even if you said something intended to be insulting.

Don't get me wrong, I like courtesy. I hope my behavior here has been good enough to at least give a chance to explain if I say something that offends. However :rofl:, let's throw out our thoughts and see if they stick before apologizing for them.

lwien

However :rofl:, let's throw out our thoughts and see if they stick before apologizing for them.

Ya know, I always proof read my posts before I hit "enter" and when I did that with the post above, I thought that what I was going to say could be interpreted as an attack and I didn't want that to happen so I would much rather apologize ahead of time rather than deal with the consequences, if ya get my drift.

Of course, I had the option not to post it at all, but for me, that wasn't an option. ;)

Ok.........'nuff of that. Back to your regular scheduled programming......

grokit

well-worn member
:hmm:
I think I've finally figured it out.

Democrats Are Psychotic, Republicans Are Psychopathic...
Why hasn't anybody written this article :suspicious:?

How about an article about what a great troll drumpf has been, conning the gop out of their nomination and then doing what he came for, enhancing his racist niche and making killary look better than anyone else could dream of. It all seems to be backfiring, but then again this is a guy that's thrown away billions.

Drumpf also trolled the media, big time. He got so much free airtime it's ridiculous, dominating news cycle after news cycle. All he had to do was say crazy shit, then double down with something even crazier before denying the whole thing, only to rinse and repeat start the cycle over what a fucking master baiter.
:argh:

Back from when drumpf had a 5% chance of winning the nomination:

silver-feautre-trumptroll-1.png

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
Smith Charity Dinner -Where the plutocrats and those that need them meet

I was listening to Hillary's roast bit and Donnie's attempt at humor the day it happened and
Donnie's was cringe worthy indeed.
It is so obvious that he does not prepare and he doesn't seem to have a firm grasp of what it means to be satirical.

"Hillary is a vile, disgusting human being who will burn in Hell for all eternity.
Nyuk, nyuk.
Try the veal -- I'll be here all week."

Donald said, in the beginning after I think his second or joke, "this is so corny" as an aside.
Obviously he didn't want to be there and has zero comedic timing or understanding about how to deliver a joke. Also he obviously hired bad joke writers. He had two funny jokes (the Hillary pardon and Melania stealing Michele's speech), and a couple of half-chuckle lines. The rest was bad to worse. Then he went into attack mode and got booed. Everyone on TV after and this morning said, and most of whom have attended the dinner more than once, that they have never heard a Presidential candidate get heckled and booed at this dinner.

On some level, I have to give Donald credit for never ceasing to amaze me with his somehow predictable unpredictablness.
He F-ing screwed up a charity dinner. How is that even possible, but we also knew he would?

He has an incredibly powerful "Howard Stern" effect.

If you never saw the Howard Stern movie Private Parts, which was actually pretty good, there is that moment where the execs are trying to figure out why Stern gets so many listeners.

This part of the movie is priceless (Pig Vomit, Howard's affectionate name for the station manager, is played by Paul Giamatti):

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

This is what Trump has.

Every political show on MSNBC every day opens with something that Trump said.

If we were to just grade this political presidential season on entertainment value, it would be through the roof compared to every other one in my lifetime.

Yep, if we had to name this 2016 presidential season after a famous movie it would have to be the Godfather Trilogy.

Ain't nothing gonna top this.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/10/trump-booed-al-smith-dinner-clinton-slays

grokit

well-worn member
:myday: "I never thought I'd vote for Clinton"

Dear [citizen],

I just got back from Ohio, where I performed and filmed a one-man show in front of an audience consisting of many undecided voters, third-party voters, former Bernie supporters like me, people who are thinking of not voting—and yes, even Trump supporters, many of whom used to be part of the middle class and are now justifiably angry and thinking of Trump as their means of revenge against a system that has left them behind.

It was clear while I was in Ohio—and it's clear as I sit here at home in Michigan, also a battleground state—that this election could go seriously, seriously wrong, especially if there's low voter turnout. I can’t knock on enough doors to swing the election by myself. Which is why I’m writing you today with a simple request:

While I was making my new movie, "Michael Moore In TrumpLand," I spoke to many Trump supporters, and I’ve gotta tell you: They are decisive, organized, and disciplined. They are up at 5 a.m., organizing for their candidate.

And let’s be honest: For a number of reasons, there are a lot of progressive-leaning voters who aren't yet tuned in or fiercely committed to voting for Hillary Clinton. They might vote, but they need a personal reminder about why this is so important.

And then look at the hurdles that are thrown up to stop poor, Black, and Latino folks from voting. There are longer lines in Democratic-leaning neighborhoods in big cities, and many states have discriminatory voter purges and ID laws. Voter suppression is what our side faces every election.

We can win only if we get out the vote and protect the right to vote. We have to do EVERYTHING WE CAN DO to stop Trump, repudiate his politics on Election Day, and hold Republicans up and down the ballot accountable for his toxic campaign.

Working hard from now to Election Day is critical—both to keep Trump out of the White House and to take back the Senate.

After meeting so many Trump supporters, I have to tell you quite honestly that Trump could still win the White House. He may win, in part, because so many Hillary supporters—thanks to her stunning victories in the debates and his continued implosions—have now sat back, relieved and confident that the "election is in the bag!" Maybe you feel the same way, or maybe not.

No matter what you think about Clinton's chances right now, our task from now through Election Day is clear: We must turn out voters. Because we need to be absolutely sure that Trump loses. And we need to make sure we get a Democratic Senate—one with Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren leading the way.

Let's make sure we win this. And let's try to win resoundingly—so that we can take back the Senate, send Trump to the dustbin of history, and show other would-be Trumps that America is better than this. Misogyny, racism, and narcissistic greed are being proudly represented on this November ballot by its messianic candidate. Together, let's send a powerful message that their days are over.

Onward!

~ Michael Moore​

P.S. If you want to see my new movie, just click here to get it from iTunes. At my request, they've made it affordable for everyone.

:sherlock:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Hillary Clinton Isn’t Just Lucky. She’s Competent
by Nancy LeTourneau
October 21, 2016 1:31 PM

It’s probably a distant memory for most people now, but during both of Barack Obama’s presidential campaigns (as well as during his administration), one of the things we heard regularly from pundits was that he was lucky. Here is part of what Gary Younge wrote about that back in 2012:

Barack Obama has often been lucky with his enemies…

Now, as he heads for reelection, he must be saying a prayer every day in thanks for Mitt Romney…

The principal beneficiary would be Obama. The president should be fighting for his life. Instead, he’s living on his luck.​

That kind of assumption has always been ridiculous and smacks of racism when you consider the minefields a black man with the name Barack Hussein Obama had to overcome to even be a contender…much less the first African American president.

Now that it is becoming increasingly clear that Hillary Clinton will be our first female president, a similar meme is beginning to develop about her. I expect that it will only take root and grow once the election is over. While it’s true that Clinton has faced an opponent who is the most unfit person to have ever been nominated by a major political party, to claim that is the only reason for her success is to engage in the same level of sexism as the racism at the root of claims that Obama was lucky. It completely overshadows the competence that we’ve seen exhibited by both the candidate and her campaign.

As someone who was very critical of the kind of campaign Clinton waged in the 2008 primary, I have been impressed over and over again with how well things have been run this time around. She brought together a young diverse team that initially built a firewall with people (especially women) of color to win the primaries – advancing what Obama did against her in 2008. Leading up to the convention, they worked with Sanders and his supporters to develop the most progressive Democratic platform in modern history and have done excellent outreach with the millennials who had initially gravitated to his campaign. While it is true that one of Clinton’s major liabilities has been her lack of soaring oratory skills, they focused on smaller events in which she could display her strengths. When it comes to ads, the product has been exemplary over and over again. Finally, I was perhaps most impressed with the campaign’s ability to be innovative in terms of organizational structure.

Now let’s look at the candidate herself. As Martin just noted, Clinton has dominated in the debates more than any candidate in recent history. A case could be made that this is because her opponent performed so badly. But the truth is, she faced some challenges that no other candidate in the TV era had to deal with: how to respond to a raging narcissistic bully. As many of the Republican candidates did during the primary debates, she could have tried to out-bully him. We saw how badly that turned out. Not only is that playing on Trump’s turf, it feeds the meme about “a pox on both their houses” and likely would have depressed turnout among persuadables. Here is what Clinton did instead:

She didn’t get angry; she didn’t get petulant; she didn’t give Trump a richly deserved slap in the face. Amazingly, she answered all the questions posed to her with a combination of wonkiness, empathy, and grace. She largely ignored Trump’s constant lies and somehow stuck to her game plan of not engaging with his bullying. Lost in the coverage of Trump’s crudeness, ignorance, and classless behavior, was Clinton’s debate performance — one of the most extraordinary in modern political history.​

She did that again at the Al Smith dinner last night. After telling some pretty good jokes, she ended by talking about the kind of anti-Catholic bigotry Smith faced. I’m going to quote her at length from there because this is a message that needs to be heard.

Those appeals, appeals to fear and division, can cause us to treat each other as the Other. Rhetoric like that makes it harder for us to see each other, to respect each other, to listen to each other. And certainly a lot harder to love our neighbor as ourselves.

I believe how we treat others is the highest expression of faith and of service. I’m not Catholic. I’m a Methodist, but one of the things that we share is the belief that in order to achieve salvation we need both faith and good works. And you certainly don’t need to be Catholic to be inspired by the humility and heart of the Holy Father, Pope Francis. Or to embrace his message.

His message about rejecting a mindset of hostility, his calls to reduce inequality, his warnings about climate change, his appeal that we build bridges, not walls.

Now as you may know, my running mate, Tim, is Catholic and went to Jesuit schools, and one of the things he and I have talked about is this idea from the Jesuits of the Magis, the more, the better. But we need to get better at finding ways to disagree on matters of policy while agreeing on questions of decency and civility. How we talk to each other, treat each other, respect each other.

So I’ve taken this concept of Magis to heart in this campaign, as best as one can in the daily heat, the back and forth of a presidential campaign, to ask how we can do more for each other, and better for each other. Because I believe that for each of us, our greatest monument on this earth won’t be what we build, but the lives we touch.​

That is exactly what Michelle Obama meant when she said, “when they go low…we go high.” Clinton was able to refute everything Donald Trump stands for in this election by being aspirational rather than confrontational.

As we’ve seen in this election, the swing voters this time around are college educated white women. Clinton is winning them by a staggering 30 points. It is true that Trump’s sexism is driving them away. But Hillary is also offering them exactly the kind of alternative they’re looking for…a woman who knows the issues, has the kind of temperament we need in a Commander-in-Chief, and is able to stand up to a bully with maturity and grace. That has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with competence.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump’s Toxic Personality Destroyed His Last Chance for a Comeback
by David Atkins
October 22, 2016 4:06 PM

This morning I wrote that Donald Trump’s only prayer of turning the presidential race around lay in shifting to the double-sided populism he should have employed all along, instead of wallowing in the bigoted morass of the alt right.

Today Trump delivered a speech at Gettysburg designed to tap into some of that populist potential. But he once again failed miserably by allowing his personal grievances, unbridled aggresion and misogynistic instincts to become the story.

The speech was supposed to be a presentation of what Trump would do in his first 100 days in office, and was billed as Trump’s “Contract with the American Voter,” obviously meant to echo the Gingrich “Contract with America” that helped create the Republican wave in 1994. To his credit, he did present some proposals that would be good reforms, along with some–like term limits–that would be terrible ideas but nonetheless have broad public support. The proposal of a five-year ban on executive and legislation officials becoming lobbyists after leaving government is a much-needed reform that almost certainly won’t see the light of day in a Clinton Administration, and the lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying for a foreign government is also a good idea–though given the Trump campaign’s close alliance with Putin this cycle, it does reek of hypocrisy. Finally, Trump’s opposition to the proposed AT&T/Time Warner merger is quite helpful, and will hopefully help create a bipartisan push from right and left to oppose it.

Trump has mentioned most of these things before, though, and whether he would actually attempt to enact any of them once he reached the White House is another matter. But it still had the makings of the sort of pivot he would need to have a hope of staunching the bleeding.

But Donald Trump is Donald Trump. He couldn’t help himself. Instead of letting his proposals speak for themselves as the story of the day, he ranted about suing the women who accused him of sexual assault and unwanted advances. Predictably, that became the only real story reported from today’s speech, adding further fuel to the stinking dumpster fire of Trump’s personal failings.

Trump’s greatest flaw as a politician, irrespective of the morality of his stances and his alt right base, is not being able to let go. He insists on countering every attack on him with an even greater counter-aggression, as if that makes him look like the bigger man. Instead, it makes him look pathetic and weak–especially when his counterattacks are against Gold Star families and women he has abused. Men like Trump are a dime a dozen, and no matter how wealthy or “successful” they are, their toxic personalities usually destroy their reputations given enough scrutiny.

It was probably already too late for him, anyway. But allowing legal threats against his accusers to overshadow his last best chance for a populist closing argument is probably the final nail in his campaign’s coffin.

Good riddance.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Oh my god, I am watching Pat Buchanan on Smerconish's show. Why would ANYONE bother listening to Pat Buchanan today? Talk about a man whose time has come and gone...

What a shock that a racist sexist asshole would be supporting the Donald and saying that he has been treated badly...

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
To the dude who is talking about not wanting to vote.

I will just say there was a reason Bernie didn't beat Hillary, and it sure as hell ain't my fault.

Pick a candidate who has the policies closest to you and help.

I'll be back after I finish reading these last few pages.

Top Bottom