The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

KimDracula

Look, I don't LIKE HRC. I NEVER have; my reasons are my own, and sufficient to the purpose. Disliking her, however doesn't BLIND me to the obvious differences between her and her opponent, or to the DELIBERATE injection of spurious and discredited "charges" against her into the political contest.

On the Spectrum of Awfulness, HRC and Trump are not even in the same universe, much less on the samae scale. At her absolute imaginary WORST, she could not wreak the havoc upon the nation that Trump has ALREADY worked.

It will greatly simplify things if we ask ourselves this question:
"Would I vote for Hillary if she was running against Hitler/Stalin/Mao/Pahlavi/Marcos/Somoza/Pinochet?"

If your answer is anything other than "Hillary, DUH!", then PLEASE do not vote. In fact, find somewhere else to live. Somewhere "tough guys" are a dime a dozen....

Make no mistake: Trump is a Hitler-scale disaster just DYING to explode all over the nation. His provocations and out-right encouragements to the racist separatists among us are not an accident, they're his plan for winning. A vote for Trump pretty much guarantees your family will go down in shame, once the smoke clears and the blood is mopped up.

===
Gunky, I'm going to start off by saying I have no problem with you, and I WANT no problem with you.

That said, your post is a classic example of WHY "conservatives" think liberals are stupid: "Liberals bring agenda items to a gunfight!" I've heard it said a thousand times.... You seriously suggest that we should be nicer to the assholes who deliberately goad us every day - WHY? It is entirely possible that apologizing for the truth is "a better way"......but that in NO WAY changes the character of the candidate or the campaign. Some of Trump's supporters are not racist, almost certainly: whether they are a statistically significant number is debatable.

Whether there is ANY point in the American public caring about such an obvious swindle is also debatable...but we should be debating THESE THINGS, and NOT whether Clinton is just as bad as Trump. She's not. Not anywhere CLOSE. Not on ANYTHING.

I love seeing push-back against the ridiculously ubiquitous false equivalency that so many draw so casually between an actual leader and a bloviating caricature. It's difficult to even make a case for the more traditional Republican party. There are real things to criticize about the Democrats too but most people don't seem to bother. When people try to act like these are two equally respectable teams with equal but opposing values I wonder if they're paying attention. I think this is a tactic to seem like a principled moderate who has equal disdain for those on each side while not really having to take a stand in the argument.

Last edited:

lwien

Ya know, at first I was thinkin', "Fuck, what if Hillary's real and/or perceived health issues gave the presidency to Trump?" and then reality struck and I began to wonder what would the polls look like if Trump was running against Kaine or any other Democratic nominee?

Considering Hillary's unfavorables, Trump, along with his supporters, better be really concerned what he and they may be wishing for.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Latest polls highlight Clinton’s advantage over Trump
09/12/16 09:20 AM—Updated 09/12/16 09:44 AM
By Steve Benen

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus’ prediction that Donald Trump would catch up to Hillary Clinton in the polls “by Labor Day or thereafter” isn’t looking too good. Take the new Washington Post/ABC News poll.

In a head-to-head match-up, Clinton leads Trump by eight points among likely voters, 51% to 43%, which is her largest advantage in this poll since June. Add third-party candidates to the mix and the Democrat’s advantage slips to five points, 46% to 41%, which is very much in line with the broader polling averages.

Clinton bests Trump in every issue area – trade, taxes, economy, terrorism, and immigration – as well as key personality traits, including honesty and being qualified for the presidency. (Roughly 7% of poll respondents are prepared to vote for the controversial Republican nominee, even though they don’t consider him qualified to serve.)

In terms of the candidates’ key backers, Clinton’s strongest support comes from voters under 40, African Americans, and those with post-graduate degrees. Trump scored best with white men without college degrees and self-identified white evangelical Christians.

At least when this poll was taken, 58% believe Clinton will end up winning, while only 29% expect Trump to prevail. In recent cycles, the public’s perceptions about the likely winner have generally coincided with the actual outcome.

Perhaps most surprising of all was President Obama’s approval rating, which in this poll is up to 58% – his strongest support since his first year in office. The better the president’s standing, the less likely it is the public will seek out a radical change in direction – and the less potent the Republicans’ “third Obama term” criticisms will be.

As for state-by-state contests, new polling from NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist took a look at four notable battlegrounds:

Arizona: Trump 42%, Clinton 41%

Georgia: Trump 46%, Clinton 43%

Nevada: Clinton 45%, Trump 44%

New Hampshire: Clinton 42%, Trump 41%

The broader takeaway should be obvious: Nevada and New Hampshire are two states Obama won in both of his elections that now appear very competitive, while Arizona and Georgia are two traditionally “red” states that have suddenly become battlegrounds.

But that doesn’t mean the pairings necessarily cancel each other out. Based on electoral math alone, Trump needs Arizona and Georgia even more than Clinton needs Nevada and New Hampshire – because the two red states combine for 27 electoral votes, which Trump and the GOP didn’t expect to fight for, while the two blue states combine for 10 electoral votes, which Clinton and Democrats already expected to be close.

Time will tell if Clinton’s bout of walking pneumonia – and the political media’s over-the-top interest in her ailment – alters the race in a fundamental way, but the latest polls suggest Trump is not close to where he needs to be to win the White House.

Election Day is eight weeks from tomorrow.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I realize that pneumonia in someone in their late 60's can be a big nothing....I'm also aware of the optics associated with HRC's video as she was being helped into the car and it will carry more weight than the possibility that pneumonia is not a big deal.

The previous attempts to call her health into question will gain weight now. The general feel that HRC and the truth don't always meet up is also going to have some folks not believing half of the statements made that imply she's fine or will be. Pneumonia can also hang in there for a good while before it removes it tiring grip. How is she supposed to continue the schedule needed to maintain a lead and sufficiently strengthen up before the first debate on 9/26. This couldn't happen at a worse time.

Feels like HRC was faced with a lose - lose when diagnosed on Friday. She needed to rest up but if she didn't show for the 911 memorial (I think Trump also attended) she'd be considered weak. She didn't want to appear week so she took a chance and instead gave the world a video showing an elderly (not old...elderly) woman.

I would vote for HRC if she were in a coma versus Trump but Trump was already gaining ground in the polls and this is playing right into his hands. Hell....he even managed to keep a civil tongue about the whole thing so he wouldn't detract from the damaging publicity.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm curious what others think because I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that this ad helps Hillary at least as much as it helps Trump. I think every time we are reminded of who Trump's core supporters are it helps the Clinton campaign. I wish Hillary had said "many" instead of "half", but the message was a good one and needs amplification, and Trump's campaign is helping with that...
-------------------------------
This couldn't happen at a worse time.
Actually it certainly could. A month from now would be terrible, interfering with the home stretch. She will get over this long before that and be strong into the finish. This will also give her the near term excuse to not be on such an exhausting schedule and have more time to prepare for the debate. This may end up a net positive...

Last edited:

His_Highness

I'm curious what others think because I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that this ad helps Hillary at least as much as it helps Trump. I think every time we are reminded of who Trump's core supporters are it helps the Clinton campaign. I wish Hillary had said "many" instead of "half", but the message was a good one and needs amplicication, and Trump's campaign is helping with that...
-------------------------------
Actually it certainly could. A month from now would be terrible, interfering with the home stretch. She will get over this long before that and be strong into the finish. This will also give her the near term excuse to not be on such an exhausting schedule and have more time to prepare for the debate. This may end up a net positive...

I think the HRC quote won't change the democrats view nor will it change the view of the hardcore republican who was already going to vote for Trump. It may aggravate the fence riding republican who might have voted for HRC but now....doesn't appreciate being stereotyped like that. I was implying something similar in a previous post....I can call my brother something bad but anybody outside my family would be met with a fight for saying the same thing.

Pneumonia....I hope your right cybr.....I've seen pneumonia last weeks into months and tire out people her age and younger that were in great shape. I'm talking athletic, eat right and healthy folks. I'm not talking about needing constant bed rest...I'm talking about always being VISIBLY worn out.

His_Highness,
Reactions: lwien

lwien

I've seen pneumonia last weeks into months and tire out people her age and younger that were in great shape. I'm talking athletic, eat right and healthy folks. I'm not talking about needing constant bed rest...I'm talking about always being VISIBLY worn out.

Yup. It could negatively affect her performance in the upcoming debate.

Rest is really key here though. Ya gotta give your body the chance to fight it off and then, after it wins, it's pretty worn down from the battle. If I were her, I'd get as much bed rest as I could till the debates and let my surrogates and VP pick take on the campaigning chores.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Which Republicans Have the Courage to Stand Up to Trump?
by Phil Keisling
September 12, 2016 6:00 AM

For a brief, shining moment — back when he was boorishly belittling Colonel Khan and his wife — it looked like Donald Trump had finally reached his “have you no sense of decency, sir?” moment.

For many in my generation who weren’t alive at the time — and I wasn’t — it’s still a well-known, even transcendent moment in American history.

Still near the height of his national popularity, Wisconsin Senator Joe McCarthy turned his Communist witch hunting crusade on the U.S. Army, claiming it harbored at least 130 known party members or subversives. On the 30th day of the much-watched hearings — it seems quaint now, but ABC TV carried them live, gavel to gavel — U.S. Army counsel Joseph Nye Welch famously did what so many others hadn’t yet shown the courage to do.

In response to an attack on a young colleague, the little-known Welch famously told McCarthy: “Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness…. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

Many viewed it as a fatal blow — or at least the beginning of the end — to McCarthy’s besotted career. His national popularity plummeted even faster than it had dramatically risen. Within 6 months, he had been censured in a bipartisan 67-22 vote by his U.S. Senate colleagues. Just three years later he was dead at 48.

But Welch’s famous questions couldn’t have had the impact they did were it not for another singular act of courage 3 months earlier. On March 9th, one of the nation’s then-most well known journalists, CBS’s Edward R. Murrow, devoted the entire 30 minutes of his “Here it Now” broadcast to detailing (usually in McCarthy’s own words) the many ways he had insinuated, bullied, and lied his way into a position of national power. It was a risky move by CBS; a Gallup poll taken just a month earlier showed McCarthy at what would prove the apex of his popularity, with a favorable to unfavorable rating of 50 to 29 percent.

An excerpt of Murrow’s broadcast — and a snippet of McCarthy’s smarmy response to it — is worth watching below. (The full transcript can be found here.)

None other than a young Ray Cohn, who two decades later befriended and advised an admiring Donald Trump “If they hit you, hit back 10 times harder,” was McCarthy’s chief counsel and consigliere. And then there are the truly strange parallels. Russia then — and Russia now, with Trump’s continuing admiration for Russian leader Vladimir Putin — played its role in both dramas, though in far different ways.

But other differences are even more dismaying. As Today‘s Matt Lauer painfully revealed this week, despite his own popularity he’s certainly no Edward R. Murrow. The only really tough questions and pursuit, 12 minutes worth, were reserved for Hillary Clinton’s e-mails. Not a single question challenged Trump’s supposed 2003 opposition to the Iraq War, much less his attack on the Khans’ patriotism.

As the New York Times recently noted, at least 110 prominent Republicans to date have at least declined to endorse Trump. And that’s heartening. But precious few, to date, have shown the courage to announce their willingness to do what, far and away, will most likely make a real difference: publicly declare their willingness to vote against him, in a truly meaningful way. That’s not an abstention, or a “protest vote” for Gary Johnson, much less Jill Stein, but an affirmative vote (however unpleasant it might be) for Hillary Clinton in 2016 so that the party faithful can then quickly get to work trying to find a worthy candidate to defeat her in 2020.

Clinton herself is certainly a flawed nominee, with detractors both within and outside her own party. But this has been true with virtually every U.S. president in recent memory, on both sides. There are flaws, doubts, and misgivings about any politician’s inevitable dissemblings, half-truths, and even lies. And then there is the far more basic question of fitness for the most powerful office in the world.

A half century ago, Joe McCarthy proved himself unfit to serve as one of 100 U.S. senators — though even then his colleagues couldn’t muster the wherewithal to expel him, for all the careers and lives he cavalierly ruined. Not even General Eisenhower could bring himself to publicly rebuke McCarthy, choosing instead to undercut him behind the scenes.

As early as 1950, a handful of Republican Senators — led by Maine’s Margaret Chase Smith, who McCarthy would deride in Trumpian-fashion, along with six like-minded colleagues as “Snow White and the Six Dwarves” — were at least willing to at least denounce McCarthy’s tactics, if not the man himself. But it wasn’t until June 1954, several months after Murrow’s broadcast, that the first of them, Republican Senator Ralph Flanders of Vermont, stepped forward to urge specific action to strip McCarthy of his committee chair and censure him.

By sheer virtue of being the Republican nominee, Trump is on the cusp of attaining a political office exponentially more powerful than the one McCarthy held. As historians have clearly shown, McCarthy wasn’t totally wrong about Communist Party efforts to infiltrate U.S. government agencies beginning in the 1930s. Similarly, many of the trade, economic, and even immigration issues raised by Donald Trump and his supporters reflect legitimate grievances, and are legitimate items for discussion.

But history is sadly replete with examples of men (and they’ve almost all been men) who espoused popular, even thoughtful policies, and yet who were spectacularly unfit to serve in executive office. It’s also a basic fact of civics, forgotten or never learned in the first place by so many citizens.

Presidents don’t make our laws; only Congress can do that. Instead, our founders gave the president the power and responsibility to execute and enforce those laws , even when they might personally disagree with them. As Murrow famously said in 1954, “It is necessary to investigate before legislating, but the line between investigating and persecuting is a very fine one and the junior Senator from Wisconsin has stepped over it repeatedly.” Trump has now crossed — and in the next 60 days will likely continue to cross — similar kinds of lines, both in his reckless rhetoric and his past behavior as a private citizen.

And while it seems a bit quaint and dated, with the reference to Shakespeare and all, Murrow’s closing paragraph in that 1954 broadcast deserves note. For it’s a summons, not just to members of a particular political party, but to everyone of us as citizens first and partisans after that.

The actions of the junior Senator from Wisconsin have caused alarm and dismay amongst our allies abroad, and given considerable comfort to our enemies. And whose fault is that? Not really his. He didn’t create this situation of fear; he merely exploited it — and rather successfully. Cassius was right. “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”​

Only a handful of people in today’s America have the stature and the credibility today to play the roles of Edward R. Murrow or Senator Flanders. Who are they? And in the next 60 days, who among them will show the courage to do what needs to be done to spare America — and the world — of giving this shallow and dangerous man such enormous power?

grokit

well-worn member
I suspect that the pneumonia diagnosis is a cover-up. Regardless of the allegations and rumors of parkinson's and vascular dementia, her publicly-disclosed health record already states that she has "complex partial seizures." Hopefully she doesn't also have an autoimmune condition like was mentioned earlier.

Trump is a Hitler-scale disaster just DYING to explode all over the nation.
Yet killary's disastrous policies, aligned with bush/obama/kissenger/nwo, are exploding all over the Earth.

your picture inclusions make no sense:
in what way are they representative of ANYTHING?
They're representative of my take on the only three meaningful candidates in this election. I included bernie not only as a fan but also as a contrast to the negativity surrounding the other two. If killary's alleged health issues or anything else forces her to drop out, then bernie gets the democratic nomination for president.

"Killary"? REALLY? you're going to prop yourself up with a dry hole drilled by hapless republican hate-mongers?
No; I am not talking about the alleged domestic murders. I could care less about that drivel. What concerns me is armchair liberals that are okay with murdering innocents around the Earth as foreign policy.

Too bad the thing about Clinton is hearsay
What thing; there's so many things to choose from... even if we just narrow it down to corruption.

Right now the race is between a psychopathic criminal con artist and a psychopathic murderer con artist. You get to choose which is which for yourselves, unless something changes we're fucked either way.

:myday:

Last edited:

lwien

her publicly-disclosed health record already states that she has "complex partial seizures."

This is the first I've heard of this. Are these "complex partial seizures" ongoing? Can you post up a link detailing this? Thanks......

What concerns me is armchair liberals that are okay with murdering innocents around the Earth as foreign policy.

Ummm............that's a bit of a stretch, eh? Personally, I know of no liberals who are ok with murdering innocents around the world. Do you?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Come on, grokit, you're missing the GOOD STUFF...

#HillarysBodyDouble Is the Wildest Conspiracy Theory This Year
by Lindsey Ellefson | 12:17 pm, September 12th, 2016

Screen-Shot-2016-09-12-at-11.54.43-AM-650x463-1-300x214.jpg

We’ve seen some truly excellent conspiracy theories in American politics, but perhaps none as contrived as the ones that have bubbled to the forefront during this election season. Maybe it is a result of the mainstreaming of the alt-right or maybe it is because the Internet allows for faster dissemination of ideas and more participation than ever before. Whatever the reason is, we are fortunate to have such top-notch entertainment, even if the electoral implications it could have are somewhat disconcerting.

Better even than the rumors that Hillary Clinton wears an earpiece or has people murdered with the flippancy of a Game of Thrones villain, today’s theory is that she has a body double. That double, in fact, was supposedly out and about in the Democratic nominee’s stead yesterday following the pneumonia-related collapse that was seen ’round the world. Per the theorists, the double allegedly walked out of Chelsea Clinton‘s apartment after the former Secretary of State went inside to recover from her faint.

#HillarysBodyDouble has been trending on Twitter this morning, proving that conspiracy culture has really gone mainstream since Kylie Jenner publicly questioned “chem trails” last year. Here is some of what is being said:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/hillarysbodydouble-is-the-wildest-conspiracy-theory-this-year/

grokit

well-worn member
This is the first I've heard of this. Are these "complex partial seizures" ongoing? Can you post up a link detailing this?
There's plenty of rumors and documents to back it up along with other issues, now these records are supposedly faked, or are the real thing from wikileaks, it seems up in the air now so who knows.

I suppose it may come down to which publication is more credible, factcheck or political insider.

Personally, I know of no liberals who are ok with murdering innocents around the world. Do you?
13 dead innocent yemenis per day and counting, did you miss that? And that's just from our enabling the saudis in yemen. Every voter that doesn't at least pause to consider this is tangentially complicit.

grokit,

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I suspect that the pneumonia diagnosis is a cover-up.
That had not worked it's way from whisper to information: I see I spoke in advance of my information

Yet killary's disastrous policies, aligned with bush/obama/kissenger/nwo, are exploding all over the Earth.
I am no friend to Kissinger or his klavern, nor to his policies, nor to anyone kindly inclined toward him. That said, I think HRC wants the job too deeply to insist on going against what fractious and unsettled 'base' she has. Trump's style is more...Roman

They're representative of my take on the only three meaningful candidates in this election. I included bernie not only as a fan but also as a contrast to the negativity surrounding the other two.
I was referring to the large landscape photos pulled from the Daily Mail at the bottom of the...next post, I think.

No I am not talking about the alleged domestic murders. I could care less about that drivel. What concerns me is armchair liberals that are okay with murdering innocents around the Earth as foreign policy.

What thing; there's so many things to choose from, even if we just narrow it down to corruption.
Check: there has been so much noise, and I DO try to be specific. See my first comment in this post - the thing I thought you might be talking about

Right now the race is between a psychopathic criminal con artist and a psychopathic murderer con artist. You get to choose which is which for yourselves, unless something changes we're fucked either way.

An undeniably shitty choice, but I'm just no damn' good at throwing up my hands and saying we're fucked; since I can't "support" either of them, I have to ask myself first, which one will do the most damage to the nation (and the world); and second,which one will be easiest to sway/influence once in office?

grokit

well-worn member
Going against the democratic mainstream as a progressive seems to be akin to going against christianity as a satanist. The satanist creed is to condemn the religion-driven evil that's consuming this world, and to respect each other and the planet we live on as if it was holy and divine. Yet even though it's an intellectually superior codex for humanity, satanism is having issues convincing the masses as such.

The established religious/superstitious order is so terrified of being exposed for the evil that they do, that they try to convince the masses that the satanists are the evil ones by committing even more evil.

Last edited:
grokit,

His_Highness

Going against the democratic mainstream as a progressive seems to be akin to going against christianity as a satanist. The satanist creed is to condemn the religion-driven evil that's consuming this world, and to respect each other and the planet we live on as holy and divine. Yet even though it's an intellectually superior codex for humanity, satanism is having issues convincing the masses as such.

The established religious/superstitious order is so terrified of being exposed for the evil that they do, that they try to convince the masses that the satanists are the evil ones by committing even more evil.

I thought Satanism was based on 'I can do what I want as long as I don't hurt someone else'. At least that's what my libertarian friend told me :rofl:

grokit

well-worn member
I thought Satanism was based on 'I can do what I want as long as I don't hurt someone else'. At least that's what my libertarian friend told me :rofl:
That's more my take on it; you're right, to take the holy and divine part literally would be apostasy to satanists. So I am editing this post to say that I edited that post accordingly :lol:

But the spirit of respect for others above all else remains true, as a contrast to christianity. One of these ideologies merely talks about the golden rule, and the other actually walks that talk. Which is which?

:freak:

Last edited:
grokit,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think the HRC quote won't change the democrats view nor will it change the view of the hardcore republican who was already going to vote for Trump. It may aggravate the fence riding republican who might have voted for HRC but now....doesn't appreciate being stereotyped like that. I was implying something similar in a previous post....I can call my brother something bad but anybody outside my family would be met with a fight for saying the same thing.
David Duke, Ann Coulter, Jeff Sessions and Sheriff Joe Arpaio (along with many many other prominent American racists) have made it perfectly clear that Donald is their guy. Hell, he even hired one of the more virulent (Steve Bannon) to run his campaign. He is the guy they think will push their agenda. There is no way for anyone to miss that. They are the loudest and strongest supporters he has.

I think it is easy enough for supporters of Trump who don't think they fit in that basket to assume they are NOT the half that are in it. I also think that many who believe that they need to vote for the republican (because they always have) don't really want to be associated with the ugliness of those Trump followers, and know that they can't really separate Trump from the ugly.

This speech is a reminder, and Trump is paying for it to keep reminding them. I am good with that.

Last edited:

gangababa

One murders rhetoric when words are used without objective basis, without pointing to actual, non-negatable fact.
Words so used are spin, not reality. Content-empty, emotional outbursts, not unlike my neighbor-child's tantrums of anger about the world as it is rather than as desired.

I am personally amazed by the level of cognitive thinking manifest in our USA wherein the most elaborate conjectures conspire to manifest mirages, and faux (sic-just sound it out) claim that the truth is out there, only to be found by those who think like their half of USA, or more less than that.

Such brain washing! I fear for USA future as internet presence passes for reality and reality TV becomes election entertainment for those who know the sports stats, but can't state their own representatives and leaders names. What is the matter with Kansas? This is not a rhetorical question.

There, the Koch snorting Republican misleadership has proven (aagaain!) the failure of piss-on-you politics. Nonetheless now, for this November, the Republican party, leadership, politics and people are in a full blown "piss-on-you" push against those of USA who are Muslim, Mexican, female, foreign, Catholic or Jew, black, brown, caramel or otherwise not colorless like those who think they are more USA than us.
The USSRs, have dealt decades of dangerous spin against the word liberal and those who would so self-label. It was deplorable!

It is a miracle that anything real happens in the present world of foxy faux faking fiction as news and calling it fact. A world where repressive, hate-filled, fact-addled, republican crafted, creatively cooked-up 'crackers' are deplorably fed to the masses, who so seemingly self-identify as deplorables that they get in a huff when anyone is not-PC enough, and fails to avoid pointing out among them the truth of racism, sexism, jingoism, misogyny, repression, hate, anger, gullibility, irrationality, unreasonableness, vileness, vacuousness, illiterateness, and other missed takes; and I suppose there are some good Trump supporters too.

Republicans now promote mangled mind-messaging that negates everything they have ever stood for and stands reality upside down.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Trump Just Finished Speaking At A Hate Group Conference; Why Didn’t Top Papers Take Heed?
Blog ››› September 9, 2016 7:06 PM EDT ››› ERIN FITZGERALD
On September 9, Donald Trump addressed the 11th Values Voter Summit hosted by the Family Research Council in Washington, D.C. Trump’s appearance marks the first time that a Republican presidential nominee has addressed the summit since it began in 2006. In the lead up to the event, the top five highest circulated newspapers in the U.S. failed to cover the fact that a major party presidential candidate was addressing a crowd at a conference hosted by a hate group.

The Values Voter Summit (VVS) is an annual event hosted by the Family Research Council (FRC), an organization the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has designated as an anti-LGBT “hate group” due to its known propagation of extreme falsehoods about LGBT people. FRC’s leader, Tony Perkins, has his own history of making inflammatory comments, such as calling pedophilia a "homosexual problem," equating being gay with drug use and adultery, accusing gay people of trying to "recruit" children, and comparing gay rights advocates to terrorists.

Over the last year, Perkins and Trump have developed a cozy relationship, which ultimately led to Perkins’ official endorsement of Trump in June. Previously, Perkins had backed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) in the GOP primaries until his withdrawal from the race in early May. In August, Perkins announced that Trump would speak at the 2016 Values Voters Summit. Perkins has been outspoken about his belief that he can shape and mold Trump’s ideologies to become more in line with FRC’s extremism.

Newspapers Ignore Anti-LGBT Hate Group’s Role In Supporting Trump’s Candidacy
Prior to September 9, in the lead up to VVS, The New York Times, The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today -- the top five highest circulated U.S. newspapers -- failed to cover that a presidential candidate was preparing to speak at a conference hosted by a hate group, alongside many anti-LGBT extremist leaders. In articles published on the morning of Trump’s address, The New York Times and The Washington Post finally reported that Trump was scheduled to speak at VVS later in the day, but omitted FRC’s anti-LGBT hate group designation. Both outlets previously connected Trump’s campaign to white supremacist hate groups and the alt-right, but they have downplayed the influence of anti-LGBT extremism in this election.

Also on Friday Donald Trump said that we should go to war with Iran over a jester. The media seems to be catering to the other side. What's going on?
CK

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I get it. Killary's more politically correct than drumpf, if you ignore the body count.

No matter how you see it, this is an interesting opinion regarding false equivalency :2c:

From The Truth About 'False Balance':

The problem with false balance doctrine is that it masquerades as rational thinking. What the critics really want is for journalists to apply their own moral and ideological judgments to the candidates. Take one example. Suppose journalists deem Clinton’s use of private email servers a minor offense compared with Trump inciting Russia to influence an American election by hacking into computers — remember that? Is the next step for a paternalistic media to barely cover Clinton’s email so that the public isn’t confused about what’s more important? Should her email saga be covered at all? It’s a slippery slope.
If Trump is unequivocally more flawed than his opponent, that should be plenty evident to the voting public come November. But it should be evident from the kinds of facts that bold and dogged reporting unearths, not from journalists being encouraged to impose their own values to tip the scale.
If you fear a Trump presidency, it’s tempting to want the media’s firepower heavily trained on one side. But a false-balance cudgel gripped mostly by liberals is not an effective way to convince undecided voters. Just more preaching to the choir.
Fear of false balance is a creeping threat to the role of the media because it encourages journalists to pull back from their responsibility to hold power accountable. All power, not just certain individuals, however vile they might seem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/public-editor/the-truth-about-false-balance.html

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I'm still waiting for Trump to tell everyone this was just a prank on America. That he wasn't really running. This was just a giant reality TV show and we were all included in it. That he will take his bow and Mr. Pence will be taking over.

He and Breitbart News will be starting their own Fox type channel regarding the extreme right and their issues. Maybe with some White Supremacist shows for some of his followers. The NRA can be one of their sponsors.

Edit
I wonder what happened to America's Mayor Mr. Gulliani? He acts like he's in competition with Trump who can be the meanest and angriest. He's been agreeing with the most downright craziest ideas. Chiming in about taking a country's oil during a war and that would be the right thing. His rediculous feud with Beyoncé regarding the Black Lives Matter. Whatever happened to one America. He is dividing the country too. I'm assuming Trump has promised him something.

What a scary bunch along with Chris Christy, Newt Gingrich, General Michael Flynn and the crazy Sheriff in Arizona.

IMO the liberal press should stop reporting on him until he shows his taxes. There is a big reason he's not doing this. We need to see his taxes.

Who know there could be something major with Hillary's health? I think it's a witch hunt. They do this with all the candidates in past years. Hillary's Doctor isn't going to risk her reputation to lie about her health.

There's some major negative things going on with Trump but we aren't hearing any of it. We are just hearing about Hillary's health.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
You may not like Hillary's "basket of deplorables", but that doesn't mean its wrong.
----------------------------
The disturbing data on Republicans and racism: Trump backers are the most bigoted within the GOP

Racists are more likely to be Republicans — and the most extreme among them are Donald Trump supporters

Presumptive 2016 Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is a bigot. He wants to ban Muslims from entering the United States, believes that Hispanic and Latino immigrants come to America in order to rape and kill white women, uses anti-Semitic imagery to slur Hillary Clinton, and has been endorsed by white supremacists.

At present, the Republican Party is the United States’ largest white identity organization. There is a mountain of evidence in support of this claim. The Republican Party nurtures and cultivates hostility towards non-whites among its voters for the purpose of electoral gain. What is known as “The Southern Strategy” of racist “coded appeals” against African-Americans and other people of color has dominated Republican politics since (at least) the end of the civil rights movement. And during the Age of Obama, American politics has been poisoned by racist conspiracy theories such as “Birtherism,” lies that Barack Obama is a type of Manchurian candidate who actually hates America and wants to destroy it from within, efforts to rollback the won in blood gains of the Black Freedom Struggle, as well as unprecedented efforts by the Republican Party to abandon its basic responsibilities of governance in order to delegitimize the country’s first black president.

Donald Trump is not an outlier or aberration. In many ways, he perfectly embodies the racist attitudes and beliefs of the Republican Party in the post civil rights era. Likewise, Donald Trump’s supporters have enthusiastically embraced the Republican Party’s racism towards people of color, in general, and against black Americans, in particular.

As reported by a recent Reuters/Ipsos public opinion poll, Donald Trump supporters possess extreme levels — even as compared to other Republicans — of antipathy towards African-Americans:

Supporters of U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump are more likely to describe African Americans as “criminal,” “unintelligent,” “lazy” and “violent” than voters who backed some Republican rivals in the primaries or who support Democratic contender Hillary Clinton, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll.

Ahead of the Nov. 8 election to replace Barack Obama, the first black U.S. president, the poll also showed significant numbers of Americans in both the Republican and Democratic parties view blacks more negatively than whites, harbor anxiety about living in diverse neighborhoods and are concerned that affirmative action policies discriminate against whites.

Republicans in the survey expressed these concerns to a greater degree than Democrats, with Trump supporters presenting the most critical views of blacks.

The poll, conducted between March and June, interviewed 16,000 Americans and included 21 questions on attitudes about race. It sought responses from voters who support Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, and her rival U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders. It also surveyed supporters of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz and Ohio Governor John Kasich, the last two Republican candidates to drop out of the race…

To be sure, not all Trump supporters expressed negative attitudes about blacks. No more than 50 percent of his supporters rated blacks negatively, relative to whites, on any of the six character traits in the poll.

Yet when their answers to the poll questions were compared with responses from supporters of other candidates, Trump supporters were always more critical of blacks on personality traits, analysis of the results showed.

The trend was consistent in the data, even when the results were filtered to include only white respondents to remove any impact that a different racial mix between Clinton and Trump supporters might play in the poll.​

These findings are not surprising. They are but one more example of how the Republican Party and its voters have shifted farther to the right in the post civil rights era, as well as the deep connections between political polarization and white racism.

[African-Americans clearly understand the racist nature of Donald Trump’s campaign and his voters’ hostility towards people of color. To wit: As reported in a recent Quinnipiac University public opinion poll, only 1 percent of African-Americans support Donald Trump.]

For example, recent research by Michael Tesler has shown how “old fashioned racism”, what was once thought to be all but vanquished from American society, is resurgent among white voters in the Age of Obama. David Sears has also demonstrated how “modern racism” now predicts party identification for Republican voters in former Confederacy. Other researchers have shown that the Republican Party’s ostensibly “race neutral” talking points about “small government” and “personal responsibility” are in fact signals to white racial resentment.

In many ways, Donald Trump’s voters are the 2008 and 2012 Tea Party faction rebooted for the 2016 presidential election. Like the John Birch Society of the 1950s and 1960s, the Tea Party maintained its influence over the Republican Party while remaining under the radar of the so-called “liberal” corporate news media. As social scientists Christopher Parker, Eric Knowles, and others have extensively documented, Tea Party supporters possess high levels of racial hostility and antipathy towards people of color.

The finding by Reuters and Ipsos that “Nearly one-third of Clinton supporters described blacks as more “violent” and “criminal” than whites, and one-quarter described them as more “lazy” than whites” should also not be a surprise.

Political attitudes, values, and beliefs are often contradictory. While racial attitudes are often cited as an exception to this pattern (they are remarkably stable and consistent), the non-ideological nature of many voters in the American electorate can still help to explain why some Democrats may believe pernicious and ugly stereotypes about black people as a group, but still vote for Barack Obama, the individual.

In all, white supremacy is a feature of American society from before the Founding and through to the Age of Obama. Racism and white supremacy are a type of “changing same” in American life, culture, and politics. The election of a black man (twice) as President of the United States is a type of symbolic progress. However, what was in 2008 a heretofore unprecedented event, by itself, does little to correct the impact of centuries of interpersonal and institutional racism against people of color.

Ultimately, the new Reuters/Ipsos poll is a reminder that not all Republicans are racist. However, racists are more likely to be Republicans…and the most extreme among them are Donald Trump supporters.

Top Bottom