The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

lwien

So now, one of the main questions is, is the Republican party still the Conservative party or have they now become the Populist Party and if they have morphed into becoming the Populist party, will a third party emerge as the new Conservative party? :hmm:

Eatrocks

Hillary is such a liar, she says whatever she thinks we wanna hear at that time. There's endless videos of her online contradicting herself...i just really hope everyone can see her for what she is before they vote.

Sanders can have a chance against trump..

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
My thought process right now is we can't have Trump in the White House. My first choice is Bernie but I'm a realist and I will vote for either Hillery or Bernie.

It depends on which one is on the ballot. Sometimes you need the weigh the two options. Trump is defiantly off the table for me. I can't get all the terrible things that he's said out of my head. Trump on occasion has a good sense of humor but not the character to be president.

Edit
Definitely not the temperament, patience and what about some old fashioned manners. I'm feeling sad that we have to say good bye to Obama. What a drastic comparison to Trump's personality and ideals.

Last edited:

lwien

I'm feeling sad that we have to say good bye to Obama. What a drastic comparison to Trump's personality and ideals.

Yup. Ya just can't stop the swinging of that pendulum. It's kinda how the universe works, eh? No matter what side of the arc we stand on, it will eventually always begin to swing in the other direction.

Eatrocks

My thought process right now is we can't have Trump in the White House. My first choice is Bernie but I'm a realist and I will vote for either Hillery or Bernie.

It depends on which one is on the ballot. Sometimes you need the weigh the two options. Trump is defiantly off the table for me. I can't get all the terrible things that he's said out of my head. Trump on occasion has a good sense of humor but not the character to be president.

Edit
Definitely not the temperament, patience and what about some old fashioned manners. I'm feeling sad that we have to say good bye to Obama. What a drastic comparison to Trump's personality and ideals.

I think trump is doing an act, i think with the cameras off he's gotta be reasonable...he's sees how much of America's drugs come from South of the border and doesn't want other countries thugs getting rich off the usa...fuck them. Fuck them in their stupid asses.

But for sure his wall chant will go the way of Obamas closure of gitmo. Imo trump will destroy hillary but lose to Bernie....if trump picks Christie for vp it's over.

It's cool to see someone running without political contributions from the cunts running the world.

Don't worry I'm not voting in the general...if trump wins maybe we finally need to rethink this 200 plus yr old form of government

Eatrocks,
Reactions: grokit

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Kasich dropping out!?!?!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/04/john-kasich-campaign-latest-news.html

When am I going to wake from this 'Rosemary's Baby' nightmare that is giving birth to Trump!?!?!?! Feels so f'ing surreal.......

I continue to believe Bernie or Hillary will stomp Trump into the ground but damn! There's something supernatural feeling about this whole thing. Did he sell his soul or something?

lwien

....he's sees how much of America's drugs come from South of the border and doesn't want other countries thugs getting rich off the usa...fuck them. Fuck them in their stupid asses.

Our BIGGEST drug issues do not come from south of the boarder but rather from our own pharmaceutical companies and the doctors that over prescribe the painkillers that they manufacture.

Last edited:

Eatrocks

Our BIGGEST drug issues does not come from south of the boarder but rather from our own pharmaceutical companies and the doctors that over prescribe the painkillers that they manufacture.

Yea that's a whole other thing...herb can take the place of MOST pharms, trump is the most likely candidate to make real progress on weed reform. We have to vote out the pharms with our wallets...i was prescribed a medication for inflammation called Mobic...i checked it out online and never picked up the meds..

Its so transparent...the ads for prescriptions list side effects for what they are supposed to treat. I've heard of people stop taking 20ish pills a day in exchange for a few hits of herb a day and they have better relief than the prescrips.

grokit

well-worn member
So now, one of the main questions is, is the Republican party still the Conservative party or have they now become the Populist Party and if they have morphed into becoming the Populist party, will a third party emerge as the new Conservative party? :hmm:
The republicans haven't been conservative since reagan's 1980s radicalism.
We outspent the russians, but that was the beginning of the end...
...of our democracy. Win or lose,
donald trump is the logical conclusion to the reagan revolution :2c:

edit:
:goat:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Donald ‘All I Know Is What’s On The Internet’ Trump
05/04/16 10:04 AM—Updated 05/04/16 10:43 AM

A couple of months ago in Ohio, a man rushed the stage where Donald Trump was speaking, prompting Secret Service agents to intervene to protect the Republican candidate. Trump soon after claimed the man has ties to ISIS, pointing to online evidence that turned out to be a hoax.

On “Meet the Press,” Chuck Todd asked the candidate about his wiliness to substantiate odds claims with bogus proof. “I don’t know,” Trump replied. “What do I know about it? All I know is what’s on the Internet.”

That phrasing came to mind again this morning when Trump appeared on “Good Morning America” and was asked about his latest conspiracy theory involving Ted Cruz’s father and the JFK assassination. TPM reported:

Donald Trump on Wednesday morning would not apologize for referencing a National Enquirer story alleging that Rafael Cruz, the father of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), was seen with Lee Harvey Oswald before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
“All I was doing was referring to a picture that was reported and in a magazine, and I think they didn’t deny it. I don’t think anybody denied it,” Trump said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” when asked if he owed Rafael Cruz an apology. “I don’t know what it was exactly, but it was a major story in a major publication, and it was picked up by many other publications.”

It’s easy to roll one’s eyes at stuff like this, but I think it matters. Trump’s conspiracy theories are key to understanding who he is and how he sees the world. His bizarre affinity for ridiculous ideas isn’t just some random personality quirk; they’re definitional.

MSNBC’s Benjy Sarlin did a nice job yesterday cataloging Trump’s “obsession with race-baiting conspiracy theories” – it’s not a short list – but Sarlin raised a related point that stood out for me: “Even by normal political standards, Trump’s relationship with the truth is abusive…. The GOP presidential front-runner, whether by choice or by nature, appears fundamentally unable to distinguish between credible sources and chain e-mails.”

That’s both true and important. Donald Trump, the presumptive presidential nominee of the Republican Party, bears a striking resemblance to that weird friend you have on Facebook who keeps sharing wild-eyed, all-caps tirades about some new conspiracy uncovered in the fever swamps.

After all, Trump only knows “what’s on the Internet.”

Vox’s Ezra Klein had a good piece on this yesterday, explaining, “There’s plenty of good information on the internet. Trump has a repeated habit of choosing bad information, both on and offline.”

His tendency to solicit, repeat, and retweet self-serving falsehoods served up by sycophants and hangers-on should be taken seriously. Among the most important tasks the president has is knowing what to believe, whom to listen to, which facts to trust, and which theories to explore. Trump’s terrible judgment in this regard is one of the many reasons he’s not qualified for the office.

Trump’s record here also undermines the strongest argument for his candidacy: that his showman’s persona is just a front, and at heart he’s a calm, thoughtful, coolheaded businessman who will surround himself with the best people and govern in a pragmatic, results-oriented fashion.

The difference between someone who believes nonsensical chain emails – and bizarre reports in supermarket tabloids, for that matter – and someone who doesn’t is critical thinking skills. The fact that the GOP’s leading presidential hopeful is lacking in this area should be alarming to American voters.

Gunky

I think Trump will lose in an historic landslide, akin to Goldwater.

Still, the fact that the repubs would actually nominate such a person is somewhat alarming. True only about a third of primary voters cast ballots for Trump but somehow it appears the rest of the party is going along with Trump as nominee. This go-along-ism is scary considering the bigoted, xenophobic, and batshit crazy things Trump has said.

Clinton will become president and Trump trundle away and become a distant memory, like George Wallace. The kerfuffle will fade but the observant will take note of this dangerous element in our national psyche.

Eatrocks

They said the same about hillary...they said vote for Obama in the primary 2008, we can defeat Obama in the general no problem....its a long time till the general in politic years.

Eatrocks,

lwien

I think Trump will lose in an historic landslide, akin to Goldwater.

Still, the fact that the repubs would actually nominate such a person is somewhat alarming. True only about a third of primary voters cast ballots for Trump but somehow it appears the rest of the party is going along with Trump as nominee. This go-along-ism is scary considering the bigoted, xenophobic, and batshit crazy things Trump has said.

Clinton will become president and Trump trundle away and become a distant memory, like George Wallace. The kerfuffle will fade but the observant will take note of this dangerous element in our national psyche.

I felt much like you did a few months ago but the more I hear Hillary being interviewed and the more I see Trump edging a bit more to the center, I'm getting a bit more concerned. A lot can happen in 6 months.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
And then there was one
05/04/16 01:00 PM—Updated 05/04/16 02:35 PM

It seems almost comical in hindsight. Last summer, Republicans were so excited about the possibility of winning back the White House – a scenario many in the party saw as a near certainty – that 17 candidates threw their hat in the ring. The dominant phrase in political media at the time was “deep bench.”

And under the circumstances, it seemed like a fair assessment. The massive GOP field, larger than anything in modern American history, featured enough current and former governors to field a baseball team. Add to the mix several high-profile senators and a picture soon emerged of a political party stacked with talented candidates, one of whom stood a good chance of becoming the Leader of the Free World in January 2017.

In time, the 17-member field steadily shrunk, and for the last couple of months, Republican voters had three finalists to choose from. Last night, Ted Cruz bowed out, and this afternoon, John Kasich will reportedly do the same.

After over a year of campaigning, 16 of the 17 Republican presidential hopefuls exited the stage. The last man standing is the candidate who’s led in nearly every national GOP poll since the 4th of July. His name is Donald Trump.

Yes, this is really happening. You’re not stuck in a weird dream. Everyone who assumed that something would eventually derail Trump, and there was simply no way a major American party would nominate a nativist, demagogic reality-show host as their presidential candidate, was wrong. It feels weird and oddly disconcerting to type the words “Republican Party presidential nominee Donald Trump,” but the party’s voters have spoken.

This may be a collectively scary moment for the nation, but it’s nevertheless real.

In the coming months, Trump’s presidential candidacy will be examined from every possible angle, starting with whether or not he’s actually likely to be elected. By any fair measure, the Republican nominee starts as an underdog: Trump is one of the least popular figures in American public life, and there’s no precedent for a major party nominating someone so widely disliked by voters.

There’s also the inconvenient matter of Trump’s lack of relevant skills, experience, scruples, knowledge, and appropriate temperament. Never before has a major American political party nominated someone so manifestly unprepared for the nation’s most powerful office.

But as the dust settles on the GOP’s nominating process, it’s worth pausing to think about the state of the Republican Party itself.

Last summer, the University of Virginia’s Larry Sabato, a prominent political scientist, co-authored a piece on Trump’s electoral prospects. “If Trump is nominated,” the analysis said, “then everything we think we know about presidential nominations is wrong.”

Around the same time, FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver and Harry Enten made projections as to who’s likely to prevail in the race for the GOP nomination. Silver gave Donald Trump a 2% chance. His colleague saw that as far too generous: Enten put Trump’s chances at -10%.

My point, of course, is not to pick on Sabato, Silver, or Enten, each of whom does excellent work. Rather, the point is much of the political world thinks of the contemporary Republican Party as a normal, mainstream, conservative party that operates more or less by the same rules and norms as the party has relied on for generations.

It’s not. Today’s radicalized Republican Party isn’t normal. It’s something new.

I’ve long believed one of the most important pieces of political commentary of the last decade came by way of Norm Ornstein and Thomas Mann, who wrote “It’s Even Worse Than It Looks,” and who warned us exactly four years ago last week.

"We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges."

In the four years since this was published, Republican politics has only grown more extreme – to the point that Donald Trump can fairly easily win the party’s presidential nomination running on a post-policy platform of racially-charged resentment.

In some GOP circles, it’s become fashionable to characterize Republican voters as victims of Trump’s elaborate con. Their 2016 nominee may have prevailed, the argument goes, but that’s because he’s a capable snake-oil salesman, obscuring his corruption and incompetence with compelling slogans and marketing.

What this fails to address is what this says about the party itself. A great political party, competing for votes in the world’s greatest superpower, shouldn’t be vulnerable to developments like these in the first place. Yes, Trump has taken over, but the question Republicans should ask themselves is how he was able to do so with such ease.

Trump may be a con man, as Marco Rubio labeled him months ago, but he was able to pull this off because of the conditions in which he found the party when he launched his campaign.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but Donald Trump didn’t break the Republican Party. It was broken before he even started, making it easy for him to exploit the wreckage for his own purposes.

Last edited:

BD9

Man, I can't keep up with this thread. You people are good!
Way too much to quote that I want comment on and keep those conversations going, but I'll hit on a few points that I feel are important.
People have mentioned crazy, xenophobic, and racist and I agree because I've seen all of it in person. When I was at the protest Monday night and that truck with the confederate flag drove by, trump supporters cheered like it was their job. While they were chanting "U.S.A.!" they were also chanting, "Build that wall!". Racist? Xenophobic? I say yes, but who am I to judge.

@lwien mentioned concern for what could happen 6 months. I too am concerned. I took some initiative and emailed the Sanders campaign and ask them to name a running mate sooner than later especially now with the positive momentum. In fact, I asked them to name Elizabeth Warren as Bernie's running mate. I felt so empowered :rolleyes:, that I also emailed Elizabeth Warren and asked her to contact the Sanders campaign to start talking strategy.
I may be way off but I feel a Sanders/Warren ticket would be unstoppable. It would also set Warren up for a presidential herself in 2020.
If any of you feel so inclined I ask you to email the Sanders campaign make the same suggestion. Maybe if enough of us mention Elizabeth Warren something will happen.

His_Highness

I listen to several financial related channels during the day and I have heard several well regarded financial minds tout Trump with statements like:
- An outsider like Trump is just what we need. The republicans and democrats are failing the U.S. We have to take a chance on someone, anyone, who may be able to get something done.
- Trump would be better for the economy than Hillary. He's going to build that wall and infrastructure projects like the wall will create thousands of jobs and pump much needed growth and money into the economy.
- Trump is not beholding to anything or anyone unlike the current politicians. He can concentrate on 'what the people need' instead of fulfilling promises previously made under the table.
- He's not really a republican. Bernie has pushed Hillary too far to the left making Trump look more mainstream. Hillary will need to swing more to the middle in the general which may make her look disingenuous.

The statements above don't take into consideration the crazy shit Trump has said and the nutty positions he's taken. But....those statements may be music to the ears of the middle class who has been left behind economically. AND for the lazy voter..... those statements don't require digging into the details of a Trump run in order to make him seem worthy.

I'd rather wrestle a rabid pit-bull naked than see Trump elected but I can't stop myself from worrying about the things that could propel him further.

CarolKing

@His_Highness that almost sounds like right wing radio. How you run a business and how you conduct yourself as a president are apples and oranges. I don't consider them similar at all. The president is too important of s position to allow a carnival barker at the wheel. He is the supposed head of the military, do we really want that? He frightens me.

It's good to try to understand the madness.

He is actually starting to give me some anxiety. I can imagine that's not just happening to me. Last summer I didn't think Trump had a chance in hell to become president. Now I'm thinking it could become a reality.

Edit
If we have a greedy president the corporate CEOs and company heads won't feel so greedy themselves. I doubt if Trump would be interested in raising the minimum wage either. I think Trump would have too much conflict of interest to be president.

Also I want to see his tax statements. He shouldn't even be eligible to be president until that is published. Feds finish the fucking audit.

Last edited:

His_Highness

@CarolKing - You make a good point that those statements sound like right wing rhetoric. It's coming from investment gurus and CEOs and many are repubs.

The real tie that binds for some of these influential folks, regardless of party affiliation, may be that they are corporate animals. The repubs didn't do anything for them the last 8 years and the dems for sure weren't and aren't interested in doing anything for them. Now these influential business types are faced with the dem's clearly stating that they are greedy, evil and will be reigned in when the dems win.....to these folks Trump is the second coming. They are highly motivated by self preservation and the desire to maintain their power base.

neverforget711

@CarolKing - You make a good point that those statements sound like right wing rhetoric. It's coming from investment gurus and CEOs and many are repubs.

The real tie that binds for some of these influential folks, regardless of party affiliation, may be that they are corporate animals. The repubs didn't do anything for them the last 8 years and the dems for sure weren't and aren't interested in doing anything for them. Now these influential business types are faced with the dem's clearly stating that they are greedy, evil and will be reigned in when the dems win.....to these folks Trump is the second coming. They are highly motivated by self preservation and the desire to maintain their power base.

Isn't Hilary queen of establishment corporate shills? I will yield her rhetoric has gotten pinko in response to Bernie but she isn't able to out-handle her handlers. If anything Trump would be the bad cop to them. I think this is where is ego is an asset, he desires being above their influence and as rich guy himself he has the F%&# you money to best defect from his class. you can either pick sponsored content or a sponsor of content. I feel more comfortable with the self-promoter.

neverforget711,

Eatrocks

Isn't Hilary queen of establishment corporate shills? I will yield her rhetoric has gotten pinko in response to Bernie but she isn't able to out-handle her handlers. If anything Trump would be the bad cop to them. I think this is where is ego is an asset, he desires being above their influence and as rich guy himself he has the F%&# you money to best defect from his class. you can either pick sponsored content or a sponsor of content. I feel more comfortable with the self-promoter.

Nafta is coming back to haunt her...amongst many other things...

We need Bernie in there man...how do the Republicans trick the middle class into thinking their taxes will be raised (the middle class that is)
Bernie tax plan wouldn't change your taxes unless you make more than 250k a year....the top 1% of Republicans CONSTANTLY trick the middle class...'he's going to raise our taxes!!!'
'Our' meaning the top 1%

Yes all my family voted Ted cruz...holds head in shame...keep blaring rush Limbaugh and the like..dont attempt to think for yourself. Repeat what is told to you.

I vote for hologram Bill Hicks.

Eatrocks,

CarolKing

I was just going to post. It looks like it's turning into a pissing match. I've even been hearing a third party but the republicans don't seem to have anybody to offer. Some slim pickings in the party. All the old farts are hanging on for dear life. John McCain is even worried about his senate race.

It really would be amusing if it wasn't so serious.

I'm hoping that Bill Clinton kinda stays in the shadows a little bit. If anybody challenges Trump he goes after them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom