SuperMoon!

Egzoset

Banned
Next Saturday night make sure you have your evening absolutely free if you're a moon lover because this full moon is going to be the closest one we've got since the last eighteen years!...

Google: March 19 2011 SuperMoon

:bowdown:

Egzoset,

Nosferatu

Am I paranoid or...since Hurricane Catrina happened by a super moon, The Indonesia catastrope happened on a supermoon, and the recent Japan catastrophe happened on a super moon, is it possible this very close super moon is gonna be bad?

Nosferatu,

lwien

Moon's gravity is going to affect tides, but not earthquakes.

lwien,

Purple-Days

Actually Lwien, I thought you would know about the California earthquake fellow who says that earthquakes and vulcanism are both related to Lunar tides and Solar alignment. worked high up in the government, prominent geologist.

Most folks said he was nuts, yet he has made some amazingly accurate predictions, such as the Sumatra tidal quake. the San Fran World Series Quake and others. Not on the money, but withing days, and even able to predict where on the Earth's surface it is likely to happen. Not withing miles and not within hours, but close enough that folks are starting to pay him some attention.

I'm not saying for sure the tides affect quakes, but think about grand masses of the tectonic plates, they are floating on a non-solid fluid/plasic mantel, and think about how much force must be exerted to move those Trillions on Trillions of tons of water. I can see where a relation would be possible.

NOsferatu says, "the recent Japan catastrophe happened on a super moon" , yet this is supposed to happen Next Saturday night . . . can't have it both ways... :2c,

Purple-Days,

lwien

CombustionJunction said:
lwien said:
Moon's gravity is going to affect tides, but not earthquakes.
You'd be surprised at all the things you didn't know are affected by the moon.

I'm not surprised at all about the things I don't know. It's that old saying, "The more you know, the more you realize what you don't know." And to compound things, you don't know what you don't know.

Or, as Donald so famously said >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk&feature=related
:brow: :brow:

lwien,

Nosferatu

On the night of March 10th and 11th the moon was much closer to the Earth, and on March 19th it will be way closer even than that, the closest in a long time apparently. So some dates add up for previous supermoons and earthquakes at the same time...makes sense. :uhoh:

Nosferatu,

Purple-Days

Not to start an argument, as you may well post up scientific references that show I'm all wet.

You say , "On the night of March 10th and 11th the moon was much closer to the Earth, and on March 19th it will be way closer even than that..."

Orbits are eccentric, not circular. Perihelion and Aphelion. And at the quarter marks (one or the other) or Aphelion you may have a closest approach. Not both. And since the moon has a 28 day orbit, well you can't have two Super Moons 7 days apart. And I don't believe the fellow I talked about says Full moons are a predicter anyway...

Purple-Days,

OO

Technical Skeptical
moon-stares-at-link-in-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask.jpg

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

OO,

Purple-Days

Sorry, a reference in the second paragraph says, "a member of the Acuweather Facebook fan page wrote..." :lol: x 2 I go no further... :lol: Oh, BTW Bogus is allowed on the Interwebs. ;)

Purple-Days,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Purple-Days said:
Sorry, a reference in the second paragraph says, "a member of the Acuweather Facebook fan page wrote..." :lol: x 2 I go no further... :lol: Oh, BTW Bogus is allowed on the Interwebs. ;)

That's not their only source!

"The full moon at lunar perigee, the closest approach during its orbit, can wreak havoc on Earth, according to astrologers"

Listen to the astrologers!

rabblerouser,

crawdad

floatin
im pretty sure earth is going to get a major mooning on march 19. :brow: :D and i'll be watching, ha

crawdad,

Nosferatu

Purple-Days said:

Hahahha so much for my quote...but in reality I have heard from various sources, some real astrologers, saying the moons gravity can strongly affect the water, which the contoinents are floating on after all. So if a continent is under pressure to the max, the moons gravitational push or pull could be the last straw. If you know what I mean. But who knows that could be totally wrong.

Nosferatu,

djonkoman

I don't find the idea that the moon can cause earthquakes/volcano activity that weird...
the moon also pulls at the earth's water(creating tides as everyone here knows I assume), so since earthquakes and volcano's are dependant of the movement of the kind of liquid/siroppy(don't know the correct english term) layer of magma under the earth's crust, it could mean the moon also has an effect on that
only probably much less then on water since water is more liquid and so moves more easily, but if the moon's gravity is strong enough I think it could have effect, especially if it's in sync with movements with other causes(the biggest tides are when the moon and sun are in one line, and all major water catastrophes here in the netherlands happened with such a tide as far as I know, since our dykes provide enough protection against regular tides, this tide is called springtij, jumptide here)
so maybe it doesn't cause earthquakes on it's own, but I think it sure could worsen an earthquake/erruption already happening, or maybe trigger certain processes that cause one if these processes are already waiting to happen

djonkoman,

weedemon

enthusiast
all the objects have their own forces of gravity. if the tides are affected, then i think it's reasonable to assume that there is an affect on the crust of the earth too. enough to cause earthquakes? i don't know! haha (if the pressure of the two plates are already built up and ready to go, i don't see why the moon's gravity couldn't act as the trigger.) but to jsut cause it on it's own i don't really think so.

thanks for the info i will be watching:)

weedemon,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Nosferatu said:
some real astrologers, saying the moons gravity can strongly affect the water, which the contoinents are floating on after all.
lol.jpg

since when are the continents floating on water?

the thing is, from what i understand, geology is one of the least explored sciences, meaning there's still alot that is unexplained, i've met noone with an argument for or against the moon's gravity affecting plate tectonics.

on that note, here's a tektite.
tektite.jpg

OO,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Purple-Days said:
Here is the fellow I was talking about, and wow, check his prediction.

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/201...e-for-us-west-coast-between-march-19-to-26th/

Geologist Jim Berkland Predicts Quake for US West Coast Between March 19 to 26th
i'm calling BS, the fish kill was a result of storm activity, which has nothing to do with earthquakes.

and besides, a million sardines is a small scale issue.

this "geologist" is trying to get attention by "linking" storm activity with earthquakes, and there is quite a few gaps in his logic.

OO,

Purple-Days

I'm not saying I believe. Just pointing him out.

I wish we could predict earthquakes. I don't think we can, not from fish kills. ;)

Purple-Days,

crawdad

floatin
well, that moon is no bullshit...was big and beautiful and i had a wonderful weekend. :peace:

crawdad,
Top Bottom