Strains for vaping

MinnBobber

Shops almost never cure bud properly. They just quick dry and if you are lucky, do a 1 or 2 week "cure". Waiting a solid month (at least) or two isn't the best way to move lots of bud quickly. It's the best way to get high quality bud, though.
The bad news is shops don't cure long enough.
The good news is the customer can easily finish the job at home.
Boveda 62% packs and several months later, what do you have? Wonderfully cured bud!!

EverythingsHazy

The bad news is shops don't cure long enough.
The good news is the customer can easily finish the job at home.
Boveda 62% packs and several months later, what do you have? Wonderfully cured bud!!
I do believe that you can improve bud once you take it home, but I am not sure about getting it to the same way it would have been had it not been quick dried and cheated of a proper curing. I don't have enough experience comparing the two side-by-side to know if a cure can be "restarted", and if so, if it can be done to the same level as if it had never been dried out too much.

That said, if if you just buy uncured, but also fresh (not dried) bud, you can definitely do a full proper cure at home. It's just the touching down at such a low moisture level that I am not sure about. I have a feeling it would kill a good amount of whatever life was still in the buds, and could halt chemical reactions, but I'm not sure just how bad that is.

Last edited:
EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: MinnBobber

MinnBobber

I don't have enough experience comparing the two side-by-side to know if a cure can be "restarted", and if so, if it can be done to the same level as if it had never been dried out too much.
The dispensary bud is typically not dried long enough so it's usually too moist. To the shop, a little extra moisture, at $400 oz, is a little special bonus... At home, that is easily cured.
Bud that's too dried out can be brought back up to proper moisture level but IMO it never gets as good as it could have been.

EverythingsHazy

The dispensary bud is typically not dried long enough so it's usually too moist. To the shop, a little extra moisture, at $400 oz, is a little special bonus... At home, that is easily cured.
Bud that's too dried out can be brought back up to proper moisture level but IMO it never gets as good as it could have been.
Ah. Yea, that makes sense. Free money for them, lol. It sucks that you end up paying more, but it's good that you can still finish the cure.

Also, in reply to OP, I find that strains with the buds that look and feel like moss covered rocks, instead of ones where you can see all the calyxes and where each fan leaf was trimmed, tend to grind up much better, and produce a lot more vapor.

EverythingsHazy,
Reactions: kellya86

Nooky72

Dog Marley
Interesting thread and being a fellow UK dweller I share the frustrations and also mirrored the subsequent actions taken.

I have found that a lot of the handpicked strains I have since selected offer far superior quality and clouds of vapour than the £20 deals occasionally available locally. The importance of curing is also sound advice.

My favourites thus far include sour diesel, critical+, Girl Scout cookies.
Enjoy your personal yield :razz:

Nooky72,

EverythingsHazy

Interesting thread and being a fellow UK dweller I share the frustrations and also mirrored the subsequent actions taken.

I have found that a lot of the handpicked strains I have since selected offer far superior quality and clouds of vapour than the £20 deals occasionally available locally. The importance of curing is also sound advice.

I agree with Sour Diesel and Girl Scout Cookies. Both are very potent, and can produce dense clouds.

EverythingsHazy,

kellya86

Herb gardener...

At some point iv gotta see what all the fuss is with gsc...

Didn't realise you was UK. ..

I live in Hertfordshire where we are ripped off more than most, everything is more expensive here because of the wealth in the area, but I'm not rich...
Anyway the last street draw I bought for 20 quid weighed 1.1 and had sugar deposits on it. Fuck that...

The first grow I did blew my mind, Id made better draw than I had ever bought before, on my first time...just goes to show how bad street weed really is.... maybe it's better elsewhere in UK, but here it's not great.

Iv pulled the trigger on my next grow now, going with reserva privada og kush...
Not done a kush before, I like my sativas...

@EverythingsHazy I try to aim for a 10 day slow controlled dry in a dedicated climate controlled room, I try to avoid the hay smell at all, I find you get that when drying happens too quickly, I can never get it back from that point, cellular damage happen's when the cells rupture if dryed too quick. If that happens it's irreversible...
I'd rathery herb was too moist than too dry in the dry and cure process, air movement and boveda will combat mould, but too dry too quick and it's buggered...ime

But I'm really interested in your point about the more well trimmed buds not giving up as much vapour...maybe I should keep mine rustic...

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Hi fc. I have searched my query with limited results so thought I'd just ask here. I am only 3 weeks into giving up combustion and all is going very well. I love this whole new world of possibilities.
I live in uk and the weed here can be anything from top shelf (rarely), to low grade weed that's coated in crushed glass or sugar solution or fake scents. When I was combusting this went unnoticed sometimes unless it was really bad. But now I'm vaping I really get to notice how poor the weed really is. Not to meniton the health concerns associated with these coated herbs.

I had already been noticing this for quite some time. That mixed with he fact that people want 20 quid for 1.2 of it, was the last straw. So at begging of june I threw caution to the wind, done a shit load of research, and began to cultivate myself. Spend a grand on a good setup as I want as high grade as possible. I decided to grow superstrains original amnesia. Which is 80% sativa. I'm very close to harvest now (4 weeks to go). Can't wait to never have to deal with robbing little gits again.

I have noticed already in 3 weeks that the strain of draw you have makes a massive difference to vapour quality and amount. Some weed just won't seem to produce vapour, where as others will ploom vapour at 170 on m eq (which is probably closer to 160 really).

Anyway my question is, now that I have the ability to chose my own strain, like many of you in stated can already do through dispensaries, what strains are more suited to vaping. Or is the cure more important than any of this.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas?
All I vape is Sativa. Lemon Haze specifically. Which is a pure sativa. Never had a lack of vapour problem.

sativasam,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I can't wait to someday have my own plants...I love reading your guys posts about them.

I cant verify the autheticity, but I feel they are relatively legit based on leafly? I have limited experience with strains, have to take my friends word for it, but in general seems to match up. I sample then look up to not trick myself ;)

Things I got recently that tasted really good, Obama Kush was real berry tasting , and gets me destroyed. "Hawaian" tastes like fruit/citrus and it is real cerebral high pure sativa feels by the effect.

Got this other stuff called Blue City Diesel? It's pretty gnarly, gets me wrecked as well, hybrid I think? The taste is hard to describe and I just got it so not as acquainted. It reeeeks and has a beevy of colors

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: grokit

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I can't wait to someday have my own plants...I love reading your guys posts about them.

I cant verify the autheticity, but I feel they are relatively legit based on leafly? I have limited experience with strains, have to take my friends word for it, but in general seems to match up. I sample then look up to not trick myself ;)

Things I got recently that tasted really good, Obama Kush was real berry tasting , and gets me destroyed. "Hawaian" tastes like fruit/citrus and it is real cerebral high pure sativa feels by the effect.

Got this other stuff called Blue City Diesel? It's pretty gnarly, gets me wrecked as well, hybrid I think? The taste is hard to describe and I just got it so not as acquainted. It reeeeks and has a beevy of colors
Don't worry!

It is getting so cheap in CALIFORNIA growing is not worth it.
I grow because it's fun!

When 28 grams is $38 dollars why grow?

In the 70's and decades before we had fields of COLAS.
Making MAUI WOWIE was something we did.
Taking MAPLE LEAF X MAUI Wowie was our enjoyment.

$ was never a consideration?
For surfers it was free!

HIPPY was how we thought more than what we were?

kellya86

Herb gardener...
LNQxdJ8.jpg

This is what I chose in the end....

Nooky72

Dog Marley
LNQxdJ8.jpg

This is what I chose in the end....

Nice selection, like a fine wine list in a Colorado coffee shop - enjoy.

Here is one of my magic kitchen cupboards with some lovely cured herbs to choose from.
Girl Scout cookies is the best sativa strain I have ever vaped although super silver haze was a close second (in terms of my own strains produced).

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I thought gsc was clone only till recently, now you can already get it feminised and auto flower??? How stable are them genetics???

I will order gsc next time, but for now I'm most exited about amnesia kush (sativa) and and kosher kush...

Although they were all free seeds, the only ones I paid for were the reserva privada og kush at 60 quid for 6, they came in a glass vile, a nice touch of quality, I'm expecting good things from my kush grow...

Top Bottom