Strains for vaping

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Hi fc. I have searched my query with limited results so thought I'd just ask here. I am only 3 weeks into giving up combustion and all is going very well. I love this whole new world of possibilities.
I live in uk and the weed here can be anything from top shelf (rarely), to low grade weed that's coated in crushed glass or sugar solution or fake scents. When I was combusting this went unnoticed sometimes unless it was really bad. But now I'm vaping I really get to notice how poor the weed really is. Not to meniton the health concerns associated with these coated herbs.

I had already been noticing this for quite some time. That mixed with he fact that people want 20 quid for 1.2 of it, was the last straw. So at begging of june I threw caution to the wind, done a shit load of research, and began to cultivate myself. Spend a grand on a good setup as I want as high grade as possible. I decided to grow superstrains original amnesia. Which is 80% sativa. I'm very close to harvest now (4 weeks to go). Can't wait to never have to deal with robbing little gits again.

I have noticed already in 3 weeks that the strain of draw you have makes a massive difference to vapour quality and amount. Some weed just won't seem to produce vapour, where as others will ploom vapour at 170 on m eq (which is probably closer to 160 really).

Anyway my question is, now that I have the ability to chose my own strain, like many of you in stated can already do through dispensaries, what strains are more suited to vaping. Or is the cure more important than any of this.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas?

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

You are correct in that some strains don't vape as well as others. For starters, lower quality weed will usually not give much vapor. Moisture content can have a effect as well.

More trichs usually means more vapor. But I have found that the 'berry' strains or the 'purples' don't usually produce as much vapor as others. Why I'm not sure.... but they don't; even if loaded with trichs. :shrug:

I have found that sativas and indicas can vape equally well.

Sorry I can't be more specific than this.. but I'm sure there will be several more members with more specific advice chiming in.

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Welcome!!

First off, good morning!

I agree with @momofthegoons

Different strains Vape differently. Temps in accordance to strain. Lots of science there. Lower grade will not produce much vapor because it is just that-lower grade. It will also not taste very pleasant. If your material is moist, you may need to dry it out a bit.

Hey @momofthegoons do you have a Vape with exact temp settings? Sometimes some material has a "sweet spot," in regards to the purp comment.

hackslasher

Kinda in this position myself atm. Last batch of bud I got vaped great, nothing abnormal, abv nice dark brown (vaped in mighty), but re-uped on Friday and new stuff will give like 2-3 hit's then just stop producing. Usually vape at 400, even took to 410 with this batch, still same results. Few hit's and Abv comes out a light brown, quite a few shades lighter then normal. Lucky got a butane vape that can vape it bit better then mighty can but has me bummed gotta wait till reup to get a decent session from mighty:cry:

hackslasher,
Reactions: DDave

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Thanks for the replies. And glad to know im not alone with this. I assumed you guys in legal states dont get this problem as you have so much choice. So has anyone vaped either superstrains or soma's original amnesia. I'm worried now that iv spent 4 months growing weed that won't vape well. I saw a comment that someone said sativa doesn't vape as well as indica. Any truth in this.? I hope not.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I've had shit weed produce lots of vapor clouds but didn't medicate well. Skywalker OG seems to be a big cloud producer but a lot has to do with the individual plant and the farmer that grew them.

You could have one strain say Lemon Haze from one farmer and plant that was fabulous gave you lots of tasty vapor, it medicated well . You could have another Lemon Haze that you bought at another venue and it wasn't worth a damned.

When they advertise at dispensaries high THC levels, it could be true but not always. I buy a small amount of one batch and then go back if I can the same day and get more if I like it.

I've been going to a farmers market on Saturdays and found s wonderful farm that produces fantastic crops. Everyone else have discovered that too, he usually has a long line of customers.

Last edited:

TriiKLe

Manufacturer
From my experience, strains may vary.

A lot of it depends on the cure and the harvest. Even the material's contents as far as how leafy it is or more buddy-ness.

Grind will also play a factor in your set ups. The type of vaporizer being used also plays a factor.

To sum it all up there are so many variables that will affect the quality of your vapor production and avb landscape but that is part of the joy of experiencing vaporizing- herbs especially.

My favorite experience is when I vaporize herbs and the herb takes a long time to change color and produces a whole lot of vapors; I ask myself if this bowl will ever end.

MinnBobber

Hi,

if you are growing, you control the outcome so any high grade strain should be great. You'll know that no crap was added, sprayed on etc.

Leafly.com is a good resource for reviewing potential strains you are considering.
Their Amnesia write-up:
Amnesia is typically a sativa-dominant cannaibs strain with some variation between breeders. Skunk, Cinderella 99, and Jack Herer are some of Amnesia’s genetic forerunners, passing on uplifting, creative, and euphoric effects ideal for treating mood disorders. Growers should expect a 9-10 week flowering period with moderate yields. This strain normally has a high THC and low CBD profile and produces intense psychotropic effects that new consumers should be wary of.

Yours is straight Amnesia, correct? Not Amnesia Haze?

For future grows, I love super lemon haze, green crack, blue dream for pain issues, golden goat, amnesia haze.

Maybe you need to do some research in Amsterdam? ;) Try and buy what you like best.....

Good luck. A wanna -be grower here

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Ok thank you all for your input. Alot of good info there. I am growing superstrains (formally hy pro) original amnesia not haze. 13 week flower period after 6 weeks of veg. I get the feeling the cure is very important. In uk weed is not cured very well as people jus want to get it out onto the streets asap. I will spend 3 months curing properly. Fingers crossed iv grown a good vape strain.

MinnBobber

I get the feeling the cure is very important
You are correct. If you take all that time. effort, expense to grow---then you need to finish the job with a good cure.
Have you read up here/ elsewhere about curing?
Hanging to dry some and then jars with some "burping" of jars to let out excess moisture helps. Cheap humidity measuring device to help. Then for long term, add Boveda 62% humidity pack.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I have done a fair bit of research on this. I like my science so have been doin the whole grow very scientific and exact. Didnt want to leave anything to chance. I have a very good climate controlled tent for the cure. I will drop my humidity to 10% last week of grow so that takes care of alot of moisture and forces plant to protect itself with resin and crystals. I will then hang in room and slowly cure in a dedicated tent for 3 weeks before they make it to mason jars. Then they get burped for 3 months. All this will be done in complete darkness so as not to degrade the thc with uv light. Hopefully this will produce a very nice vape.

MinnBobber

I don't grow but from what I've read/ seen, it seems burping may only be necessary for a couple weeks maximum after your long 3 week dry period. FYI, one shop told me they do a long dry/cure (10 days) so 3 weeks is a very long dry period.

LBurping once a day until in target zone may take way less than 3 weeks. There are cheap ($10) hygrometers that can help you zero in on about 62%.
Once you are close the Boveda 62% humidity packs bring the humidity down or up to keep at the ideal 62%.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I want to cure as slow as possible so I will be precisely controlling humidity for 3 weeks to slowly bring it down.
Cannabis will continue to improve for up to 6 months. After that there is no gain. I will continue to cure for 3 months but I will be vaping some of it after the 1st stage cure while I wait and will do some tests with it along the way to determine the best way for the future. I am in no rush and slower is better.

I will look into them packs for long term storage. Thanks

What I was really hoping for from this thread was a list of nice strains to grow. I assume most of you have the luxury of living in USA in legal states, so can sample many top shelf flowers. I can't do that so I have to take a gamble on what I grow now as it may combust nice but not be ideal for vaping. I'd like to reduce the gamble with your help.

Last edited:

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Ok thank you all for your input. Alot of good info there. I am growing superstrains (formally hy pro) original amnesia not haze. 13 week flower period after 6 weeks of veg. I get the feeling the cure is very important. In uk weed is not cured very well as people jus want to get it out onto the streets asap. I will spend 3 months curing properly. Fingers crossed iv grown a good vape strain.
Welcome to FC!

You are correct, the dry and cure process is going to have the largest impact aside the quality of the grow and the Genetic Profile.

Ultimately, the content of essential oils within the plant matter is going to determine how well the material will vaporize.

And the initial dry time along with meticulous curing will dictate this variable.

I applaud you for taking your meds into your own hands, it is essential to know exactly what is in your medicine.

The no-cure, rush it out the door nonsense has plagued the whole industry.

Honestly, there are not a lot of folks that even know what a proper 3 month cure can do to improve the flavor and more importantly improve the medicinal effects.

Again, welcome to FC, pleasure to have ya aboard!

Hashtag46&2,
Reactions: kellya86

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm glad you understand what I'm going for and I agree with everything you said.
You seem very wise on this matter.
Thank you for the welcome. It has been a good move joining fc everyone is nice and helpful and iv leaned loads in 2 days already. May the learning curve continue.

howie105

Take a long look at the harvesting and curing process, while its not talked about as much as the strain or cultivation choices it is important too. As to strains my suggestion is try a variety and see which one works best for your growing environment and tastes. Good Luck

howie105,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
From seed to smoke is 20 weeks at least. That means I can only try 2 strains a year. I can't jus walk into a shop and buy samples of strains.

kellya86,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Green crack is what I'd recommend if your current strain doesn't turn out as great as you're hoping. It's probably one of my very favourite strains and the high is quite unique.

As for how much vapour you're producing that's up to your skill as a grower

Winegums,
Reactions: kellya86

howie105

From seed to smoke is 20 weeks at least. That means I can only try 2 strains a year. I can't jus walk into a shop and buy samples of strains.

Yep, lots of those if this, then that concerns to address. Good Luck

howie105,

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
I will highly recommend anything from TGA Genetics.

Space Queen, Chernobyl, Jack the Ripper , 9lb Hammer..

My 2 favorites from TGA..

Cheesequake & Timewreck

You almost can't go wrong with any of Subcool's (TGA Founder) breeding, awesome phenos with every strain I've tried.

Lol.... I just realized how long of a list of strains I could just go on and on.

Unspecified breeders..
*Sour Bubble (Sour Diesel x Bubblegum) > Amazing

*Blue Dream (Blueberry x Super Silver Haze) > easy to grow and phenomenal.

*Girl Scout Cookies (poor yielder but perfect for the connoisseur.)

*Gorilla Glue #4 (Can't go wrong)

*MK Ultra (Again, simply amazing, easy grow)

*Durban Poison (One of the only true Sativas left, huge yields, and very potent)

I'll stop here for now, check these recommendations out and let me know if you would like more suggestions.

Hashtag46&2,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I was just talking to a farmer that produces one of the best cannabis strains in my area. He said the crop can be fantastic but if you drop the ball during the curing phase, it can be completely ruined.

I thought his Gorilla Glue was going to be ready last Saturday. He needed to give it an extra week of curing so it's just right.

Last edited:

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
This thread is starting to verge on a grow topic rather than which strains produce the most vapor, so I just want to chime in here and remind everyone of this rule of ours....

Topics concerning the cultivation of cannabis are not permitted.

grokit

well-worn member
I have noticed that with my looser buds that are grown under fluorescent lights I need more material that what I would need if I was buying at a dispensary. I am integrating a sodium-vapor lamp into my setup, and this is starting to give me more dense buds like the dank stuff for sale in legal states. This is with the same strain, big bang, which won the dutch cup in 2001 and is still the only prescribed medical strain sold in dutch pharmacies. It's an indica-heavy hybrid, not that aromatic but great for effect. How well a strain vapes definitely depends on how it's grown, as well as cured, but it also depends on how you vape it.

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: Tom Funk

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Some good suggestions here for me to research. Im leaning towards girl scout cookies at the moment. So would you say the denser bud the better for vaping? I grow under hps with digital ballast so that should help with density. So would you recommend indica over sativa for vaping as indica generally has tighter buds. But I like the phycoactive part of being high which is why I chose the amnesia as it's 80% sativa. So now I have to hope it gets dense enough to produce good vapour. Started growing before I started vaping so didn't plan for this.

On another note, maybe there should be a thread somewhere, where people can talk about growing techniques to produce good weed specifically for vaping.

kellya86,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Closest you will be able to find without knowing someone from the "cookie family," is a few "fortune cookie" seeds that have been found in GSC bags. It is like the original Sour Diesel, you have to know the right people to get the actual cut.

Top Bottom