Storing Herb Long Term

Geeza

mason Jars???

I ha ve the ones they keep sweets in with the flip lid on a metal hinge and an all round rubber grommet seal on jar lid. I am worried bout mould . how many times per day do i need to open removbe bud etc ,,,,thnx

Geeza,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
You're fine dude, you don't eve have to worry about mold unless your bud isn't dry in which case you should be keeping it in a shoebox or something with some paper towels The jar burping you're doing is for curing bud, once it's cured you can store it in a jar no problem for as long as you want/

bluntfaced,

misanthrope

Pasted straight from another post I just did:

Properly dry bud should last ages, especially if you keep it in those special air tight plastic boxes designed for keeping food in the fridge, the Dutch coffeeshops tend to use the ones with the clip on lids. Put this box somewhere cool and dark and your bud should last longer. Having said that I've had the same batch for 6-7 months before and had no problems.

misanthrope,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
That is a good amount of nice herb. Do it right with a one time investment in a manual vacuum pump and mason jars stored in a cool dark place.

I use this pump http://www.pump-n-seal.com

It looks hokey, but has the highest vacuum pressure that I could find in an inexpensive device. The tabs are reusable too. Use a mason jar, poke a hole in the top center with included tool (a thumb tack) place a tab (100 come with it) over the hole and vacuum seal that sucker. Tabs are re usable over and over.

DeepFried,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Does anyone have an opinion or otherwise direct experience storing herb long term, say about 1 year or so? I'm going to need to store a couple of Z's for up to 8-12 months. I'm thinking I'll put it in a sealed mason jar with a couple packs of silica-gel desiccant and put it in the fridge.

Lycanthrope,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Lycanthrope said:
Does anyone have an opinion or otherwise direct experience storing herb long term, say about 1 year or so? I'm going to need to store a couple of Z's for up to 8-12 months. I'm thinking I'll put it in a sealed mason jar with a couple packs of silica-gel desiccant and put it in the fridge.

Boy you people are way more serious about how you go about this than I ever was.

Lycanthrope, at one time I grew my own for personal use. I put my harvest (after curing) in a green plastic garbage bag that I kept in my chest freezer. It started out full and lasted me and my friends almost two years. I never noticed any degradation in quality, but then I was stoned a lot too.

pakalolo,

lwien

Lycanthrope said:

The thing that destroys bud is light, heat and air. Eliminate those, and you're good to go. I use the smallest SpaceCase containers that I can use. No light comes in being that they're made from aluminum, very little air inside being that it is mostly just bud that is filling the container and not air, and it is airtight, so no air can get in. I then store these in the vegetable section of my fridge......about 50 degrees F. What's also important though, is before you do this, make sure that your bud is totally cured, otherwise, you could have a problem with mold.

lwien,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Pakalolo & lwien, thanks for the info and advice. I think I'll be Ok then with the Mason jar, cool fridge (42 Degrees F.) and the silica gel desiccant packs to dry out and prevent any mold. I figure that it should be dry anyway to grind vape well in my MZ, so it'll be ready to grind and vape when I open up the jar.

Lycanthrope,
humidty levels in fridge & freezer may affect herb. well sealed jar, baby food or any probably b better in freezer for long term storage, with that http://www.pump-n-seal.com/ may b good for years, even though they says herbs & spices should b consumed with 6 months for fresher taste :p also if herb is a little moist then freezer kinda dry in there may help

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

lwien

Yeah, Mason Jar will work. Just try and get a jar that isn't too big. Ideally, you would want the bud to fill up almost all of it. The less air there is in the jar, the better.

Also, if your bud has been very recently cured, you may want to burp those jars once a day for awhile so that you don't start getting that funky ammonia smell.

lwien,

Carbon

lwien said:
Yeah, Mason Jar will work. Just try and get a jar that isn't too big. Ideally, you would want the bud to fill up almost all of it. The less air there is in the jar, the better.

Also, if your bud has been very recently cured, you may want to burp those jars once a day for awhile so that you don't start getting that funky ammonia smell.
I have been having to open up my jars every so often so that they don't have this bad vegetable-y smell to them. I'm also unfortunately using larger jars for the three strains I have than I should be.

Should I be worried about humidity levels at all? I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it's usually fairly humid this time of year. Down in SoCal, someone I know puts a little bottlecap with some water in the larger container that holds the jars he has along with monitoring the big container's humidity level with a hygrometer. Is that overkill?

Carbon,

weedemon

enthusiast
mason jars of various sizes here too. i have a couple small ones (about the size of a coffee grinder lid) that's my daily stash jar. would like to find something slightly smaller too though for better on the go convenience.

weedemon,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Another vote for the mason jars and the Pump-N-Seal. I have over 2 year old product stored this way. Kept in the cool dark after curing to below 60% moisture. I have small humidity meters in each jar to watch.

The cure is extraordinary.

willieR,
Top Bottom