StemPod by MPL

Evilevile

Less than 4 days left! $65 CAD preorder difference, or 30%. That's pretty huge. So I ordered one! :argh:

I'm a little nervous that it's the first release and product for this company and I'll be a bit of a guinea pig, but I'm also excited to be a part of it.

It supports 18mm like my Tubo which I really like. I'm starting to look more for interchangeable options when looking to purchase new vapes.

I only have my one mod that I primarily use as my Ecig. It's an Alien 220w but I'd like to get a dedicated mod for the SP.

Let me see if I have this right: any of the mods in the TuboX supported list will support the firmware for the SP but these 'DNA' mods don't? :tinfoil:

Evilevile,
Reactions: Summer

AJS

Calm Consistency
Less than 4 days left! $65 CAD preorder difference, or 30%. That's pretty huge. So I ordered one! :argh:

I'm a little nervous that it's the first release and product for this company and I'll be a bit of a guinea pig, but I'm also excited to be a part of it.

It supports 18mm like my Tubo which I really like. I'm starting to look more for interchangeable options when looking to purchase new vapes.

I only have my one mod that I primarily use as my Ecig. It's an Alien 220w but I'd like to get a dedicated mod for the SP.

Let me see if I have this right: any of the mods in the TuboX supported list will support the firmware for the SP but these 'DNA' mods don't? :tinfoil:
At least we almost personally know the manufacturer and he's a great dude. I wouldn't worry, being a guinea pig for vapes is fun. It's a kickass vape and should be a ton of fun for most people.

Also, I believe your last statement is pretty much right.

Summer

Long Island, NY

Don't be apprehensive as you have nothing to worry about. This is Dan's 3rd prototype & he has beta-tested with 3 highly knowledgeable, experienced & respected beta-testers on FC.

And even though this was the StemPod's beta-testing instructions it's highly informative to read through. Just disregard the Navigation section for evic mod instructions included for the beta-testers unless, of course, you have this particular mod.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zqf49utVXnKcrT1kW7cwzO5a3O7wzjPT_jAjiyjbiBs/edit

I don't know anything about dna mods, but I do know that if you purchase software-approved mods, you can update to funkyjunky's or Arctic Fox firmware.

Here are the links.

AF firmware:

https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum...ware-for-joyetech-wismec-eleaf-etc-mods.1162/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uF5xCzg-8LqbiCwom5oKJWhIBnt7COsrCWytwYN5Yfk/mobilebasic

Funkyjunky firmware:

https://github.com/pharmaka/tubomyevic/blob/master/README.md Approved mods are listed here.

http://tubo.lamart.ch/#firmware

And for anyone who has a fluent understanding of this esoteric mod stuff/coils, you might find this site interesting, but I truly don't know, because I'm not one of those. It's just a link I've been saving:

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Hey everybody!

Seeing as it is now July, we are in the final stretch of launching. We should have StemPod units in stock by the middle of the month, but our specialized wood packaging (stashpod) will arrive in early august. We want to offer people the option to either have their StemPod preorder shipped with 3d printed packaging as early as possible (still within July) or wait till early august and receive the StemPod with wooden case. please PM me on here or email dan@modpodlabs.com to elect an early ship date.

Evilevile

So there's either a 3D printed Stashpod or a wooden Stashpod?

Or just a stashpod that comes in wood packaging for aesthetics but the wood is not necessarily part of the stashpod's function?

May we see a picture of the wooden option?

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Thanks Dan, nice to hear that! :tup: But what kind(s) of wood?

cedar

So there's either a 3D printed Stashpod or a wooden Stashpod?

Or just a stashpod that comes in wood packaging for aesthetics but the wood is not necessarily part of the stashpod's function?

May we see a picture of the wooden option?

stashpod is the packaging, which can either be 3d printed or wood.

UnxQLTg.jpg

DEuspo0.jpg

Summer

Long Island, NY
Oh, I also wanted to ask. RBT says the Splinter is rated for 50W max & a 30 sec. max draw. What is the StemPod rated for? I assume that both are contingent on what coils are used? So what are the rating for the stock coils? Don't want to cause any damage. Thanks!

dodgy_b

Don't be apprehensive as you have nothing to worry about. This is Dan's 3rd prototype & he has beta-tested with 3 highly knowledgeable, experienced & respected beta-testers on FC.

And even though this was the StemPod's beta-testing instructions it's highly informative to read through. Just disregard the Navigation section for evic mod instructions included for the beta-testers unless, of course, you have this particular mod.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zqf49utVXnKcrT1kW7cwzO5a3O7wzjPT_jAjiyjbiBs/edit

I don't know anything about dna mods, but I do know that if you purchase software-approved mods, you can update to funkyjunky's or Arctic Fox firmware.

Here are the links.

AF firmware:

https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum...ware-for-joyetech-wismec-eleaf-etc-mods.1162/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uF5xCzg-8LqbiCwom5oKJWhIBnt7COsrCWytwYN5Yfk/mobilebasic

Funkyjunky firmware:

https://github.com/pharmaka/tubomyevic/blob/master/README.md Approved mods are listed here.

http://tubo.lamart.ch/#firmware

And for anyone who has a fluent understanding of this esoteric mod stuff/coils, you might find this site interesting, but I truly don't know, because I'm not one of those. It's just a link I've been saving:

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html
There is so much great info in this single post. I wish I had read it weeks ago. Thank you @Summer !

As it pertains to the Stempod, are there advantages/disadvantages regarding Artic Fox vs Tubo vs stock firmware?

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
Hmm, pics aren't showing for me and show access denied when trying to open directly... Chances are I'd opt for the wood case though.

superdang9000,

Summer

Long Island, NY
@superdang9000, hit the reply button & the pic should show up in the post reply box. Here's the thread concerning the image issue. Start from this post down:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/what’s-up-with-imgur.29564/page-2#post-1272370

There is so much great info in this single post. I wish I had read it weeks ago.

Oh, yeah, make me feel guilty for not posting sooner. (tail between my legs :lol:)

I a newbie when it comes to this & have to work through these links myself. All I was, was smart enough to save them for future reference. I will in time play with the Arctic software because my mod is compatible. I'm think the evic mini used for beta-testing had funkyjunky loaded on it, but don't quote me. Maybe @AJS could way in since he beta-tested. I do know that he has the Arctic Fox on his Splinter. Now throw into the mix dna mods with that/those(?) chipset & firmware & now we're taking a semester course for mods & firmware. :doh: Seriously, more than I ever wanted to know.

Evilevile

Is the same awesome logo that's on the 3d printed stashpod also going to be laser etched on the wooden one as well?
I notice we only see the back (or is it the front)

I think it's funny Dan keeps referring to the Stashpod as packaging, which is true and very eco, but it's more than that, I mean it's not like you would throw it out.

Summer

Long Island, NY
There is so much great info in this single post. I wish I had read it weeks ago.

Oh, yeah, make me feel guilty for not posting sooner. (tail between my legs). :lol:

I a newbie when it comes to this & have to work through these links myself. All I was, was smart enough to save them for future reference. I will in time play with the Arctic software because my mod is compatible. I'm think the evic mini used for beta-testing had funkyjunky loaded on it, but don't quote me. Maybe @AJS could way in since he beta-tested. I do know that he has the Artic Foxe on his Splinter. Now throw into the mix dna mods with that/those(?) software & now we're taking a semester course for mods & firmware. :doh: Seriously, more than I ever wanted to know.

Summer,
Reactions: dodgy_b

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Wow, the stempod is almost live! I was watching this project as it started as the "mod pod" and I wasn't able to watch closely throughout the project, and now we have a stempod? So the modpod project pretty much got canceled / transformed into the stempod?

I'm inclined towards supporting Dan and pre-ordering, it seems like he's put alot of research and thought into this vape, and the beta testers have proven what this thing can be capable of. But as I look at more of the pictures on IG and elsewhere, there's just one thing that's putting me off from jumping on to this pre-order:

glowing metal coils

:uhoh:

Plus there's the higher surface area argument. As well as the fact that with more mass/surface (i.e either using a mesh or smaller gauge wire) you don't need to get the metal glowing. That's really a plus as there are valid concerns around oxidation and metal fatigue.

So is this "safe" to be inhaling over the long-term? Pre-installed, we will have SS notch coils, and that's generally regarded as the safest metal coil material for vaping. But in the regular course of e-cig vaping applications, we don't have glowing-hot coils, right? :suspicious:

Dan, do you have any words or thoughts to make me think otherwise?

I have lots of vapes and some of them use coil wires, but for either conduction or convection, they don't need to reach glowing temps to operate and produce vapor. It just doesn't seem right to me, to be inhaling fumes from glowing coils....

Now I know one of the strengths of the stempod is the ease with which users can swap coils at their desire, for whatever will fit in the deck. Dan, have you had success in trying thicker gauge coil wires that don't need to reach glowing temps in order to sufficiently heat the herbs for good vapor production? This should be possible with the proper size of a lower gauge / larger mass coil wire. I don't care if it takes a measly 3-5 seconds to reach temp with bigger coils over the 1-second warmup with the smaller notch coils if I can get similar convection performance without glowing.

With the deck on the stempod, I see it should be no problem to install ceramic donuts or even the new ceramic rods like from the DT QQ into the stempod. I'm sure we could get some convection vape production from heaters like those as well, but I'm not sure if they would also have to reach glowing-temps, or if they would work any better or worse (or taste the same or better) as opposed to metal coils. :shrug:(gotta try it out)

One more ? for @supershredderdan : with funkyjunky's tuboevic firmware and your notch coils (or any other coils you've tested) are you enabling the PI controller to get the best results, or just using straight-up TCR mode?

@AJS, what's the benefit of temp mode over wattage? And am I correct that temp mode is TC SS?

Edited to add: Since I don't have any need for cruise mode, the only 1 benefit of TCR is increasing duration from 10 - 20 sec. But wattage is so darn good & it's what Ryan recommends & a lot of users like, I can always press the button 2x to get to 15 sec. But what will TC SS do me? And I believe someone the other day mentioned they were gonna try TC Ni. Just looking for a rudimentary understanding.

I'm coming in late over here...i see you've done more research since asking this....but.....

Summer, the simple benefit of TCR-based temp control modes over wattage mode (when TC is properly configured and used) is that you really can't combust your material! To get the best taste, smoothness and effective extraction of your material, use TC. In many applications, wattage mode leaves the possibility of combustion, or if it doesn't, then you have slower warm-ups and less response to the user's draw and less vapor production. (so then it's under-powered). So wattage mode is not better at all, it actually sucks and is much dumber in almost every way!

Using TCR on the preinstalled coils. TCR is at about 290, this is what got 440F to very dark abv, makes me think the temp is pretty accurate.

Temp mode is just super consistent and easy and I can just draw indefinitely and never worry about combustion and get insane clouds and great abv. It's nice that I can just cruise mode it, I won't cruise mode in wattage.

Yes it is...more consistent, easier to use, allows you to target specific temp ranges and flavors that you may seek. There is little reason to go back to using anything in wattage mode after experiencing proper TC vaping, unless you like hot, gross, edge-of-combustion vapor puffs. Or if you actually enjoy doing an elaborate button-feathering / draw modulation technique to avoid that combustion, then use wattage modes.

And the cruise mode, that's just a bonus, courteousy of FJ. Little reason for the user to hold the button down when you can have the mod do that for you. Tubo evic and it's software isn't intended for watt mode vaping...holding the power down like that would just burn stuff.

I understand what you said, @AJS. But still what to be sure that temp mode means TC SS in this case or do you mean TCR because you mentioned cruise mod? Thanks!

So this is a good question... the stempod's coils are indeed SS, so "normally" for e-cig vaping, you should choose TC-SS mode to properly control the coil temps, and what temp you see on the screen would roughly correspond to the metal coil temps in the atomizer. That's good and fine, but that's for e-cig conduction vaping, where that metal coil is directly touching and saturated by a juicy wet cotton wick.

But what Dan is doing here is an un-intended application of TCR-based temp control mods: pure convection vaping. Controlling the temp of the metal coils is still important, but the ultimate goal is to control the temperature of the herb material, which is separated by a cm or two of space from the hot metal coils. Some heat & energy is lost through the convection between the coils and the herb, so we have to heat the coils to a temp substantially higher than what we intended for the herbs to reach. Through much experimentation it seems Dan has chosen a TCR # of 290 (much higher than the default # for SS) to dial in the notch coils to heat the herb to a temperature roughly corresponding what you see on the mod's screen with TCR 290.

The downside to this (for only me it seems) is that the coils do have to get pretty hot, red-hot, to perfectly roast your herbs and vape (not combust) them. :( As soon as I can see that won't be necessary with this atty if larger coils are used, I'll be in too. :tup:

Last edited:

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
glowing metal coils

I don't know much about metallurgy, but this would be my primary concern as well. Especially because my sole reason for vaping is to be more aware of the toxins I'm putting into my body. Again, this is outside my expertise, but... hitting temps that cause the coils to glow can destabilize oxides into unsafe gases, can't it?

@superdang9000, hit the reply button & the pic should show up in the post reply box. Here's the thread concerning the image issue. Start from this post down:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/what’s-up-with-imgur.29564/page-2#post-1272370

Oh right, I'd forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder!

superdang9000,

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Wow, the stempod is almost live! I was watching this project as it started as the "mod pod" and I wasn't able to watch closely throughout the project, and now we have a stempod? So the modpod project pretty much got canceled / transformed into the stempod?

I'm inclined towards supporting Dan and pre-ordering, it seems like he's put alot of research and thought into this vape, and the beta testers have proven what this thing can be capable of. But as I look at more of the pictures on IG and elsewhere, there's just one thing that's putting me off from jumping on to this pre-order:

glowing metal coils

:uhoh:

So is this "safe" to be inhaling over the long-term? Pre-installed, we will have SS notch coils, and that's generally regarded as the safest metal coil material for vaping. But in the regular course of e-cig vaping applications, we don't have glowing-hot coils, right? :suspicious:

Dan, do you have any words or thoughts to make me think otherwise?

I have lots of vapes and some of them use coil wires, but for either conduction or convection, they don't need to reach glowing temps to operate and produce vapor. It just doesn't seem right to me, to be inhaling fumes from glowing coils....

Now I know one of the strengths of the stempod is the ease with which users can swap coils at their desire, for whatever will fit in the deck. Dan, have you had success in trying thicker gauge coil wires that don't need to reach glowing temps in order to sufficiently heat the herbs for good vapor production? This should be possible with the proper size of a lower gauge / larger mass coil wire. I don't care if it takes a measly 3-5 seconds to reach temp with bigger coils over the 1-second warmup with the smaller notch coils if I can get similar convection performance without glowing.

With the deck on the stempod, I see it should be no problem to install ceramic donuts or even the new ceramic rods like from the DT QQ into the stempod. I'm sure we could get some convection vape production from heaters like those as well, but I'm not sure if they would also have to reach glowing-temps, or if they would work any better or worse (or taste the same or better) as opposed to metal coils. :shrug:(gotta try it out)

One more ? for @supershredderdan : with funkyjunky's tuboevic firmware and your notch coils (or any other coils you've tested) are you enabling the PI controller to get the best results, or just using straight-up TCR mode?

I'm coming in late over here...i see you've done more research since asking this....but.....

Summer, the simple benefit of TCR-based temp control modes over wattage mode (when TC is properly configured and used) is that you really can't combust your material! To get the best taste, smoothness and effective extraction of your material, use TC. In many applications, wattage mode leaves the possibility of combustion, or if it doesn't, then you have slower warm-ups and less response to the user's draw and less vapor production. (so then it's under-powered). So wattage mode is not better at all, it actually sucks and is much dumber in almost every way!

Yes it is...more consistent, easier to use, allows you to target specific temp ranges and flavors that you may seek. There is little reason to go back to using anything in wattage mode after experiencing proper TC vaping, unless you like hot, gross, edge-of-combustion vapor puffs. Or if you actually enjoy doing an elaborate button-feathering / draw modulation technique to avoid that combustion, then use wattage modes.

And the cruise mode, that's just a bonus, courteousy of FJ. Little reason for the user to hold the button down when you can have the mod do that for you. Tubo evic and it's software isn't intended for watt mode vaping...holding the power down like that would just burn stuff.

So this is a good question... the stempod's coils are indeed SS, so "normally" for e-cig vaping, you should choose TC-SS mode to properly control the coil temps, and what temp you see on the screen would roughly correspond to the metal coil temps in the atomizer. That's good and fine, but that's for e-cig conduction vaping, where that metal coil is directly touching and saturated by a juicy wet cotton wick.

But what Dan is doing here is an un-intended application of TCR-based temp control mods: pure convection vaping. Controlling the temp of the metal coils is still important, but the ultimate goal is to control the temperature of the herb material, which is separated by a cm or two of space from the hot metal coils. Some heat & energy is lost through the convection between the coils and the herb, so we have to heat the coils to a temp substantially higher than what we intended for the herbs to reach. Through much experimentation it seems Dan has chosen a TCR # of 290 (much higher than the default # for SS) to dial in the notch coils to heat the herb to a temperature roughly corresponding what you see on the mod's screen with TCR 290.

The downside to this (for only me it seems) is that the coils do have to get pretty hot, red-hot, to perfectly roast your herbs and vape (not combust) them. :( As soon as I can see that won't be necessary with this atty if larger coils are used, I'll be in too. :tup:

ModPod is still being developed, but it will take more resources than we currently have to perfect. that is why we pivoted and are launching the StemPod first, to perfect the technology and go from there.

to address the glowing coil issue, here are some informative links

Material Properties: http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=e3ee4e1465c24775aa6d835e70a7b897&ckck=1

Science behind 303 SS https://www.clintonaluminum.com/stainless-steel-303-verses-304/

the major takeaways are that the melting points of SS is well into the 1400 C range. Eutectic temps for deforming or treating it are right at the 725 C range which is well above our operating temperatures. The coils would have to reach over 1300 F to even reach the eutectic temperature. Prolonged exposure below the eutectic temperatures do not show that they leak chromium or nickel, both of which have higher metling/eutectic temps than SS. The reason stainless is a preferred material in this use case is because it does not create an oxidation layer during heating like other alloys. Even studies researching the impacts of Nickel and/or Chromium on the body claim that they are both elements that are not necessary for the human body but impacts through inhalation of vape products are inconclusive at this time.

of course, you can install any coil or heating element into the deck, and coils with higher mass will need to glow less to properly heat the surrounding air. The reason we elected for the SS notch coils is the fast ramp up and cool down, the consistent spacing of the air pockets in the coil, and the fact that these coils will always heat evenly from the inside out.

hope this addresses your concerns.

also, we have posted some replacement parts on the website, seems to be a growing demand. All international customers are receiving an extra coil set with their purchase

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Right on for the detailed reply. I will check out those links later when i have more time.

Can i re-submit 2 questions for you:

Can i configure the stempod with bigger coils for 'glow free' vaping that still works reasonably as well as the smaller coils?

Are your recommended settings enabling the PI controller on the tuboevic software?

Thanks!

Top Bottom