Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

VelocityREST

My 1st choice would be the custom. Where are you located? I ask because here in the US, vgoodiez is sold out of customs currently.

Don't forget a large custom xl8r if you can swing it.

I'm located in Canada. There's $50 cad difference between the two. Maybe I should wait till 4\20, maybe not. I purchased the paranormal for the sole reason of using Z with it. I won't go cheap, I want the best xp.

Just curious what is the difference between the custom and v1

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey guys,
Yesterday I got my paranormal mod. It looks phenomenal.
Now it's time for the splinter Z. Which one should I get, the customs or v1?

Comes down to cost I think? Also glass joint length, wood, and type of glass probably too (also ZV1 has the ceramic instead of mica) but there should really be no difference in performance... I'm sure there will be a good sale for 420 at vgoodiez, but who knows when more customs will be available. They are both going to be very nice either way I'm sure

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Heh. My 420 $ has already been sent to Vgoodiez, Dynavap and finally Lotus. I already have the XL8R from Vgoodiez (love it) but the other items should be here by 420. And I saw my guy yesterday to boot so there is something to put in them.

I really really really hope there isn't something truly irresistible for 420 or I'm fucked...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I can hold my horses all I want, but there is always another pony wantin to take me for a ride.

And after all, who doesn't like a pony ride?

Shit Snacks

All Zs have 19/22 glass joints. The customs use a thicker glass which last I heard was German Schott glass.

Pretty sure ZV1 uses 19/19 like V2 both being china-made... Can anyone confirm?

Shit Snacks,

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Pretty sure ZV1 uses 19/19 like V2 both being china-made... Can anyone confirm?

That is correct. The US Splinter Z will remain 19/22 for the remainder of the stock which is a few hundred units. This is the same with the remainder of the Milaana 2. After the US stock is depleted US Customs will transition to manufacture limited releases ... current plan is a simplified version of the driftwood and a Milaana that was inspired by the https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/rbtmusicicons/?hl=en contest on IG... look for threads in the up and coming soon.

The initial Splinter V1's and a few of the Splinter Z V1's have screens with the resistance weld (dark spot visible on the heater screen). This manufacturing step was required to hold the fine screen (keeps small bits out of the heater screen) and the course screen (provides the structural integrity) together during the insertion process. The spot is caused when the electrical current is passed through the screens to create the weld that bonds them together. No cause for alarm as it is just melted stainless. It took some time to develop the tooling that allows both screens to be formed together in one step but that is complete and all units moving forward will not have this witness mark.

Thanks to all who have worked to find the best mods and settings for use with RBT products! Just a word of caution when using any of the extended on time FW in that with sufficient time and wattage, the wood can get hot enough to char. As we have learned from Milaana in the past, after some time in a sealed bag with some baking soda the smell of an over temperature event will dissipate.

When not in use it is best to remove the mouthpiece and lay the mod on it's side to minimize the chance of being knocked over and breaking the glass. Please avoid putting a cold mouthpiece in a hot unit as when it cools the female glass can shrink down and lock onto the mouthpiece. If this happens there is a chance that if you heat the unit and cool the mouthpiece with ice it may release. Also take care to not press the mouthpiece into with force as the "morse taper" nature of the interface can cause it to lock. Using a light coating of food grade grease commonly used in the scientific glass industry can prevent this form occurring but isn't necessary as this issue is very rare.

We are currently working to update our FAQ page and plan to add a Tips page to cover some of these issues. If there is something that the folks here think should be added please comment on the thread on the discussion board.

Also take a look at our growing list of world wide retailers as we begin to add retailers around the world as well as the updated content across the www.

I will be doing my best to answer questions here in the future. Special thanks to Stu and Pak for donating there time to keeping FC community alive and well.

Peace,
Ryan

Summer

Long Island, NY
After the US stock is depleted US Customs will transition to manufacture limited releases ... current plan is a simplified version of the driftwood and a Milaana

Not the Splinter?

And are you still using mica & not ceramic in the custom Z? And is the joint glass still the thicker glass?

And I hope you are gonna continue to offer the custom xl8r?

Thank you.

Summer,

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Does any of the splinter stems work with dosage capsules like the fury or mighty/crafty ones?

Trying to figure out what 510 vaporizer to get

Hjalmark,

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Not the Splinter?

And are you still using mica & not ceramic in the custom Z? And is the joint glass still the thicker glass?

And I hope you are gonna continue to offer the custom xl8r?

Thank you.

Splinter US custom stopped being made about 9 months ago... Vgoodiez has the last of them. The last few hundred customs will use mica as it is cost prohibitive to make a tool for a limited number of units. Yes, thicker glass as this is what drives the need for smaller ceramic to replace Mica. About 100 more US made XL8R will be made to run out the rest of the stock on-hand.

Summer, thanks for all that you do for RBT. I appreciate you keeping folks informed here as I got my ass handed to me over the last year lol. If there is anything you need in the way of US made please shoot me an email.

Does any of the splinter stems work with dosage capsules like the fury or mighty/crafty ones?

I cannot speak to that but maybe someone here can. I personally do not use dosage capsules as the added metal is another heat sink to rob the the energy from the air flow increasing warm-up time and potentially making for uneven ABV and makes stirring more difficult. The basket screens can be pre-packed for fast reload and it is super easy to "hoover" or suck up a load like a straw from a storage container. That said, we might explore the possibility of manufacturing some once Milaana 3, Sliver and the wooden mouthpieces are in production. Thanks for considering RBT!

sickmanfraud

The wood capsule stems from Lamart (Tubo) work in my custom Z, but not very well with my Splinter US. A small amount of Teflon tape wound around almost any stem can make it "work". I have two capsule stems and they both work well with the Custom Z. Only the one with a couple of windings of the tape fit a splinter US

If you want a 510 vape where you can use dosing capsules or capsule stems with no mods you should look at the TUBOx or a Custom Z and capsule stems.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Summer

Long Island, NY
Thank you for the kind words @RastaBuddhaTao. You very well might hear from me.

After the next several hundred, the custom Zs are gone. So the prudent thing is to get a backup. I'm, literally, stuck in a quandry right now: do I over-extend myself financially as things are tight right now to prudently (:nod:) get a backup, or do I take the equally prudent action of not buying so I can eat for 2 weeks? If there's lacewood (:drool:) left , I'll starve. :lol:

Seriously, if you love the custom Z, this is the time to get a backup, otherwise you might lament it later.

Also time to get a custom xl8r.

The last few hundred customs will use mica as it is cost prohibitive to make a tool for a limited number of units. Yes, thicker glass as this is what drives the need for smaller ceramic to replace Mica.

What do you mean by make a tool?

So ceramic is superior to mica when it comes to thicker glass.

Last edited:

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
@Summer ... Ceramic is molded and this requires a mold to be fabricated. The tool is a negative of the part and is used to press the ceramic power into the net shape and is then fired in a kiln at high temperatures to solidify it.

With the US units utilizing the thicker German glass, ID is smaller and therefore I cannot utilize the ceramic from from the standard product (thinner glass, smaller ID). Given that Mica has been tried and true for years the value of making a new tool (mold) for the last few hundred units isn't practical.

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Seriously, if you love the custom Z, this is the time to get a backup, otherwise you might lament it later

I do love my Z and now thinking about getting a backup indeed. Would the above linked Z from verdampftnochmal be the right one? I'm quite confused about all this v1, v2, China-US made stuff :(

Alex3oe,

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
@Alex03 , I'm can't be sure; it could be either. But vapefiend in England has them.

https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/splinter-z-vaporizer-by-rastabuddhatao

Hurry, before Brexit. :p

If that shit ever gets through, though as an EU citizen I feel like kicking those ungrateful bastard out and keeping Ireland .. also liberate Northern Ireland from those imperialistic swines!!!!

Modern politician and their whoring after the popular vote + humans being forgetful idiots is not a great combo

Hjalmark,
Reactions: Alex3oe

Shit Snacks

After the next several hundred, the custom Zs are gone. So the prudent thing is to get a backup. I'm, literally, stuck in a quandry right now: do I over-extend myself financially as things are tight right now to prudently (:nod:) get a backup, or do I take the equally prudent action of not buying so I can eat for 2 weeks? If there's lacewood (:drool:) left , I'll starve. :lol:

Seriously, if you love the custom Z, this is the time to get a backup, otherwise you might lament it later.

Ahhh you are so right! I was already saving up for a Milaana2 and now I guess I will need to get another custom Z as well... Will it be the same woods available @RastaBuddhaTao or anything new? I'd still flip for a Flame Box Elder vape made by you :drool: but I just love variety and will get a ZV1 at some point too I'm sure

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Puffitup has a Splinter Z V2?? https://www.puffitup.com/Splinter-Z-V2-Vaporizer-p/rbt.spltr-z_v2.htm

Any info on this?? Price is comparable to the Custom Splinter Z.

Could it be an early "April's fool" joke?

I am guessing that is what the 2nd fresh batch is officially being called, the first ones seem to have that weld for the screens like the V1, so even though it's pretty much the same maybe they opted to call it V2 to match the regular splinter. I see that puffitup has that one as well now, I guess they could no longer deny the incredible RBT vapor experience!

Edit: they may want to change the copy that says it fits with "most 19mm" since that is definitely not true for both units, must be 19/19 otherwise they are going to be replacing a lot of people's units...

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Ahhh you are so right! I was already saving up for a Milaana2 and now I guess I will need to get another custom Z as well... Will it be the same woods available @RastaBuddhaTao or anything new? I'd still flip for a Flame Box Elder vape made by you :drool: but I just love variety and will get a ZV1 at some point too I'm sure
Yeah, my first order of business come 4/20 will be to find the best deal on a ZV1 or ZV2 if that's what they're calling them now. Not because I'd change anything about my custom Z, just because I enjoy it so much.

Speaking of backups, I still haven't heard anything about how the V1 and V2 compare. I sold by og Splinter to a friend and only own a V1 and a custom Z. For now.

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
This Splinter is tempting me a lot.
I would like to ask who knows: how long does a whole session last with the splinter? I mean a continuous shooting session. I ask because I'm fond of my one-hour sessions with the swift pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom