Solo vs. Log.. any major differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDR

I have a solo. It's all that and I love it more and more everyday. Yet.. sometimes I wonder if other similarly shaped devices might deliver a better experience or more efficiency.

So, the solo is just a log vape made our of steel right? Or is there something special about the positioning of the heating element (or something similar) that the log vapes do that the solo doesn't? Do they have a smoother draw? People seem rather attached to whatever log vape they have. Am I missing out? On a further note, I've got all portables and was thinking that one of the plugginables might give me bigger hits which might impact me more than the solo. I have infinite tolerance and can go for quite a while on the solo.

JDR,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I would get the Solo before purchasing any of my log vapes. It hits hard, is portable and can go all day for me on one charge.

stickstones,

placetime

Haven't used a Solo, but I would say that logs are nicer to look at. From what I've heard, a Solo and a log complement each other, so having both would be a good thing. :2c:

@sticks---your Solo hits as hard as your HI? I would have thought that the greater airflow of the HI would allow for easier/bigger hits (I honestly haven't ever used a HI either, but I have used a PD, CRZ, and UD)

placetime,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Logs are convection (Solo has a lot of conduction), no glass, smaller herb chambers for precision dosing, no temp control unless you have variable voltage supply. That's pretty much all diference I can think of (I haven't tried none of them myself).

Seek,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The HI has more open airflow, for sure. And it hits a little harder if you have the VV supply. Without the VV it can be disappointing.

JDR...if the Solo requires multiple stems for you to get there then you would really be taking a lot of time to get there with a log vape. The log bowls are smaller.

ime, the Solo doesn't have a lot of conduction going on. Technically it does, but no more than a log vape that has the stem left in it.

Bottom line for me is that the Solo ends up being what I reach for most of the time instead of my logs. If I already had a Solo first I wouldn't be buying any other log vapes. I'd spend my money on a different experience like a Cloud or a LSV.

stickstones,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I guess it really is a matter of personal preference, because I have completely different order of favs than Sticks :lol:

If I had to choose between my Solo or either one of my logs the Solo would be in the trashcan in no time.

It is a pretty good vape and it sure does the trick for me when I have nothing else availeble, but it's no way near as nice, easy and quick to use as my HI ime. Also, one Solo charge usually isn't enough to get me through the day all by itself & the draw is annoyingly restricted at times.

I also don't use my VV to supe-up my HI like Sticks feels he needs to, but rather to tune it down instead. With the stem I use it with I would have definitely already combusted several times by now if I would use it on 12V or more.

So here we have the same vapes, yet two totally different experiences. I'm inclined to recommend you the log vape way since you say don't really need another portable perse, but idk what's that worth because I'm so very very bias :p

Good luck with your decision :tup:

edit: Crap, I totally did not read the OP properly and was under the impression he was trying to decide between the two of them. Oh well, I'm to high to be bothered with chancing all that right now, sorry.

:cheers:

OhTheAgony,

JDR

The HI has more open airflow, for sure. And it hits a little harder if you have the VV supply. Without the VV it can be disappointing.

JDR...if the Solo requires multiple stems for you to get there then you would really be taking a lot of time to get there with a log vape. The log bowls are smaller.

ime, the Solo doesn't have a lot of conduction going on. Technically it does, but no more than a log vape that has the stem left in it.

Bottom line for me is that the Solo ends up being what I reach for most of the time instead of my logs. If I already had a Solo first I wouldn't be buying any other log vapes. I'd spend my money on a different experience like a Cloud or a LSV.

Thanks, I was thinking they covered the same territory but wasn't sure. I'm still betting there have got to be a couple of potential improvements depending on the log, such as airflow. But you are saying, that all in all, they are more alike than different. Good to know. Save me some duckets. :)

JDR,

JDR

I guess it really is a matter of personal preference, because I have completely different order of favs than Sticks :lol:

If I had to choose between my Solo or either one of my logs the Solo would be in the trashcan in no time.

It is a pretty good vape and it sure does the trick for me when I have nothing else availeble, but it's no way near as nice, easy and quick to use as my HI ime. Also, one Solo charge usually isn't enough to get me through the day all by itself & the draw is annoyingly restricted at times.

I also don't use my VV to supe-up my HI like Sticks feels he needs to, but rather to tune it down instead. With the stem I use it with I would have definitely already combusted several times by now if I would use it on 12V or more.

So here we have the same vapes, yet two totally different experiences. I'm inclined to recommend you the log vape way since you say don't really need another portable perse, but idk what's that worth because I'm so very very bias :p

Good luck with your decision :tup:

edit: Crap, I totally did not read the OP properly and was under the impression he was trying to decide between the two of them. Oh well, I'm to high to be bothered with chancing all that right now, sorry.

:cheers:

Hehe, yeah, I've got me a solo and it an all around great piece. The fact that I like it so much makes me appreciate how slight differences could make a big impact. I was wondering whether the airflow might be a real difference. And a different airflow means different vape experience. I was thinking of picking one up as there are some good ones that aren't too expensive. I've also been lookin at items like Da Buddha as options for a big-tolerance, all-day vapist such as myself.

JDR,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ota...well said...a perfect example of why this forum was built on the premise that there is no best vaporizer!

I wonder...do you prefer low temp vaping or higher temps?

stickstones,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
That's the fun part Sticks: high temp only. Thick dense vapor is the only thing that satisfies me as it still has to compete with smoke somewhat, and I'm cheap enough to turn my ABV a dark coffee brown too. In comparison; I usually start a Solo bowl at 4/5 and always finish it at 7. Mine is a hot M102 btw.

I wouldn't say my HI is a particularly hot running one neither, @ a good 22 Ohm. Have you ever tried a CRZ stem in yours? Because that is really where my secret lays.. ;)

Hehe, yeah, I've got me a solo and it an all around great piece. The fact that I like it so much makes me appreciate how slight differences could make a big impact. I was wondering whether the airflow might be a real difference. And a different airflow means different vape experience. I was thinking of picking one up as there are some good ones that aren't too expensive. I've also been lookin at items like Da Buddha as options for a big-tolerance, all-day vapist such as myself.

Yeah, saying it's a world of difference wouldn't even do it justice imo.

The HI is basically free flow, inhaling through it is almost as easy as breathing. Same goes for the UD and WW. There is a minor differences between these 3, but in comparence to a Solo this difference is practically unnoticeable. I never tried either, but I have heard the airflow of the Zaps and PDs is a lot more restrictive then that of the next generation logs.

I used to own the more expensive brother of the DBV, the SSV. It's a good vape, but it is to wasteful with weed for the size of my stash ime. And well, I guess most vaporizers hit a bit airy in comparence to my HI/CRZ stem combo... :p

OhTheAgony,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I have a Solo M1A3 and a WW, i like both but i find the WW is better to conserve (smaller bowl, equal efficiency) and the taste is also better although the Solo delivers an excellent taste i still find a clothing iron smell when i hit it empty.

Water bonging is better with the WW, because of the superior air flow and the lack of needing a GonG adapter.

In terms of portability, the Solo wins due to obvious reasons. Although it is not the most stealth, with a little imagination it can be used with a cover or used somewhere private enough. I like it to use at home as well, i don't use it in my room anymore after the i-got-it!! period was over, but i use it in my living room and i even used it at the cinema yesterday in the midnight session and at the back of a bus.

The temp presets are also better to control the temperature of your hits according to your preferences of each session.

IMO, you're missing out. Not by much, but still.. I love to vaporize with my WW more than any other of my vaporizers.

vorrange,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'll tell you right now that the main reason my Solo is what I use most is because I don't have the power for the HI figured out yet. I'm not interested in buying a $40 VV power supply and having that sit out on the table too, so I've been using a PA from the MFLB...the result being that the heat retention is not good enough to get two successive hits. No doubt, the airflow on the HI is amazing and when it gets hot it can really whitewall a bubbler. If I were going to get just one log vape it would be the HI. But there is no log vape out there that tastes as good as the Solo, ime...especially my 104 model with its ceramic bowl. And I just love not being tethered to the wall. Just got back from a nice dog walk with the Solo and it makes it so easy to use it when I want.

I am about to really pare my collection down to a few vapes that meet needs specifically. I've got the Ion for bags. The Solo for portability and the MFLB for stealth and top-off usage. The Cloud will be my daily driver with a LSV as a backup. If I want a log vape again I will get a Vapolution. Notice what using the Cloud has done to me...four fo those six vapes have pristine airpaths. This is why I think JDR ought to go get something completely different rather than a log vape that will essentially be an upgrade to what he already has, only it has to be plugged in.

ota...that makes sense why I like the Solo more than you. I use it on 3 almost exclusively and really enjoy the taste. You prefer a hotter hit (I used to as well) and when you get that hot with the Solo you lose the taste advantage.

stickstones,
I'll tell you right now that the main reason my Solo is what I use most is because I don't have the power for the HI figured out yet. I'm not interested in buying a $40 VV power supply and having that sit out on the table too, so I've been using a PA from the MFLB...the result being that the heat retention is not good enough to get two successive hits.

Aw, c'mon sticks, you can't make a fair comparison when you're using the HI like that, particularly when you're making recommendations to new members. Use the non-VV Alan supplies; insert the steel tube of the HI just past the lip of the GonG tube with the bowl about 1/3rd full, that should give you clouds without scorching.

Right now, I'm using my HI with the non-VV power supply, which runs at about the same temp as the VV at max. I can hit the Hi as many times as I want back to back without significant temp reduction. Sure, hitting it over and over as fast as you can, pulling as hard as you can every time will drop the temperature and you'll need to wait 45 or 60 seconds for it to get back up, but who vapes like that anyhow? Might be appropriate for a one-off stunt big-clouds video, but it's not how I relax.

A lot of people with VV power supplies seem like to think 11.8v is the sweet spot. Either way, the HI, as with all log vapes, will be disappointing if you don't feed it enough voltage.

JDR - re: people being more attached to their log vapes. I think this partly stems from the fact that log vapes are made from wood, often very beautiful wood, which by nature makes each piece unique. This is especially true since many of the popular log vape makers use exotic woods, burls, etc. Track down Ed TnT's HIs in the HI thread for a great example.

I can't make a comparison between the HI and the Solo specifically, because I haven't used the Solo. But I wanted to throw in my :2c: and let JDR know that my experience is similar to OTAs. If you check the HI thread, you'll find negative impressions pretty hard to come by. Problem is that the wait list is about 6 months at this point; good news is that getting on the wait list costs nothing and comes with no obligation. If you decide you're not interested when your turn comes up, no problem.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'll tell you right now that the main reason my Solo is what I use most is because I don't have the power for the HI figured out yet. I'm not interested in buying a $40 VV power supply and having that sit out on the table too, so I've been using a PA from the MFLB...the result being that the heat retention is not good enough to get two successive hits. No doubt, the airflow on the HI is amazing and when it gets hot it can really whitewall a bubbler. If I were going to get just one log vape it would be the HI. But there is no log vape out there that tastes as good as the Solo, ime...especially my 104 model with its ceramic bowl. And I just love not being tethered to the wall. Just got back from a nice dog walk with the Solo and it makes it so easy to use it when I want.

I am about to really pare my collection down to a few vapes that meet needs specifically. I've got the Ion for bags. The Solo for portability and the MFLB for stealth and top-off usage. The Cloud will be my daily driver with a LSV as a backup. If I want a log vape again I will get a Vapolution. Notice what using the Cloud has done to me...four fo those six vapes have pristine airpaths. This is why I think JDR ought to go get something completely different rather than a log vape that will essentially be an upgrade to what he already has, only it has to be plugged in.

ota...that makes sense why I like the Solo more than you. I use it on 3 almost exclusively and really enjoy the taste. You prefer a hotter hit (I used to as well) and when you get that hot with the Solo you lose the taste advantage.

I personally really like the looks of my variable PSU on the desk. I always feel something is missing when it's turned off & the display doesn't light up. I do have a fondness for technique though, and like to incorporate industrial stuff in to my interior. If my apartment was on street level I would park my motorcycles in the living room as well. I always leave the PSU on my desk now, and have a 30 feet extension cord to connect it to my logs with. My apartment isn't to big so that gives me enough room to use my logs anywhere in the house basically. But I agree that being able to vape wireless is a true pleasure that is hard to beat.

I agree that the ceramic Solos taste pretty awesome, but to say it tastes better then any of my logs... :rolleyes: It is pretty close, but if I have to favor one the advantage for me would again go to the logs, either of them & on every temp. The fact that I like to collect honey in my Solo stems thus clean them less often does have something to with that though.

I find it really hard to believe that your Solo satisfies you on 3 while you find your HI not hot enough on 12V to be honest. I'm starting to think their is either something wrong with your HI or the power supplies you use it with. If you want me to help you do some trouble shooting to sort it out feel free to send me an IM.

OhTheAgony,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I personally really like the looks of my variable PSU on the desk. I always feel something is missing when it's turned off & the display doesn't light up. I do have a fondness for technique though, and like to incorporate industrial stuff in to my interior. If my apartment was on street level I would park my motorcycles in the living room as well. I always leave the PSU on my desk now, and have a 30 feet extension cord to connect it to my logs with. My apartment isn't to big so that gives me enough room to use my logs anywhere in the house basically. But I agree that being able to vape wireless is a true pleasure that is hard to beat.

I agree that the ceramic Solos taste pretty awesome, but to say it tastes better then any of my logs... :rolleyes: It is pretty close, but if I have to favor one the advantage for me would again go to the logs, either of them & on every temp. The fact that I like to collect honey in my Solo stems thus clean them less often does have something to with that though.

I find it really hard to believe that your Solo satisfies you on 3 while you find your HI not hot enough on 12V to be honest. I'm starting to think their is either something wrong with your HI or the power supplies you use it with. If you want me to help you do some trouble shooting to sort it out feel free to send me an IM.

I agree with OTA, i have the WW but it is very similar to the HI in temps and i find it odd that you are satisfied with the solo at 3 but not the HI at 12V.

Although i agree that the taste is way better at lower temps than at 7.

@JDR, one addendum to my intervention, since the solo and logs are more alike, although i would more easily trade the solo instead of my WW, you already got the Solo.

So, maybe a big hitter like the lsv would provide you a different experience than the one you have with your portables.

vorrange,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Aw, c'mon sticks, you can't make a fair comparison when you're using the HI like that, particularly when you're making recommendations to new members.

I agree, which is why I put that out there. Sort of a warning of sorts as to where I am coming from. When I forst got my HI I was in love with it. But using the MFLB PA with it is not working well at all. I get about two hits and then it needs about ten minutes to get to really hot again. The thing was blazing when I had the VV. Bottom line is I'm just not gonna fuck around with power supplies right now...and that will end up being my loss. I still have a few years before discretion is not an issue, so having extra equipment around is a no-no for me.

ota...I might take you up on that...thanks!

When I sit down and refelct on my vapes when working properly, the Solo, and any other log I've used for that matter, is no match for the HI when it comes to thick hits. But I still would rather have a Solo and a vape like the LSV or Cloud before a Solo and another log vape.

EDIT: Seems like I am in the minority here, and maybe for good reason given the state of my log vapes at the moment. I will say that if the OP likes the log experience and needs something with more punch, the HI would be a great choice, if you can get one. It improved everything I didn't like about the PD...airflow, taste and warmup speed. Also, you can go through more herb quicker and get there faster.

stickstones,

JDR

I agree with OTA, i have the WW but it is very similar to the HI in temps and i find it odd that you are satisfied with the solo at 3 but not the HI at 12V.

Although i agree that the taste is way better at lower temps than at 7.

@JDR, one addendum to my intervention, since the solo and logs are more alike, although i would more easily trade the solo instead of my WW, you already got the Solo.

So, maybe a big hitter like the lsv would provide you a different experience than the one you have with your portables.

Right, these log vapes sound appealing to me for potential efficiency, flavor, airflow reasons but I've thought actually of the SSV or DBV in order to give me bigger hitters, effiency be damned. Due to bad experience with box vapes previously, I never even considered stationary, plugged-in vapes until now. The impressive results and surprising flexibility of the solo has actually opened my eyes to the possibilities. Perhaps, if I see one of these on the classified, I'll snatch it up.

@stickstones .. The HI sounds nifty. It also looks not-haveable due to the waiting list.

JDR,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm sorry JDR, but apparently the conversation continued elsewhere. Things like that can happen on a stoner-forum I guess :rolleyes:

If you still want to see us yapping about this some more you can follow it here.

OhTheAgony,

Pcpvapors

I really think of the solo as a portable log I really do. Although you can take your herbs up a little farther than the log the clouds and hits felt all the same :)

Pcpvapors,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Right, these log vapes sound appealing to me for potential efficiency, flavor, airflow reasons but I've thought actually of the SSV or DBV in order to give me bigger hitters, effiency be damned. Due to bad experience with box vapes previously, I never even considered stationary, plugged-in vapes until now. The impressive results and surprising flexibility of the solo has actually opened my eyes to the possibilities. Perhaps, if I see one of these on the classified, I'll snatch it up.

@stickstones .. The HI sounds nifty. It also looks not-haveable due to the waiting list.

My DBV is not my daily driver. I need some discretion in my current living condition and a futurist metal cilinder with glass and a whip coming out is neither discreet nor easily concealed. For this reason and because of the efficiency issues, i bust out my buddha once in a while but not everyday.

There are others worth a look, the Cloud if you have the $, the VHW is another one i find appealing and that would provide a different experience.

For me, it seems the plug in vaporizers have reached kind of a plateau. The main inovation and improvement will come from portables now.

The Cloud, VHW, and Herborizer are all used with glass and water as part of the experience. The LSV as well although you can also use it dry. Then there are logs. Bags. Whips. And that's about it..

I would go with either a glass/water vaporizer or a whip one. But to me, and considering you have a Solo which is close to a log, i would start with a glass/water vaporizer.

vorrange,

JDR

Thanks for your input. I was actually leaning toward DBV minutes ago and your words had a nice "hold it" effect. I don't have the limitation of having to conceal my rig or odor. So, I wonder whether you would be more open to the DBV as your main driver if you had no environmental restrictions.

JDR,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Thanks for your input. I was actually leaning toward DBV minutes ago and your words had a nice "hold it" effect. I don't have the limitation of having to conceal my rig or odor. So, I wonder whether you would be more open to the DBV as your main driver if you had no environmental restrictions.

Don't take it as a hold it. The DBV is a great unit, and i am sure that if i had no need for concealment i would enjoy it much more.

For a daily use, i have to account for efficiency as a big variable since i don't have the economic means to maintain a big daily usage and i can't grow my own either. One of the reasons i decided to part with my DaVinci was because since the bowl was big and i could not see how much was in it, i found myself using more than i could. With the Solo, there is no such problem.

The WW has that advantage over the DBV, but for the sole reason of having a large bowl. To me, large bowls are the worst. A big thin bowl, you can just fill it a lil bit and you cover all the screen. This does not happen in a large screen, like in the DBV. So, to have a good user experience and a more even roast, you need to fill it quite a bit, i would say about 1-2 loosely packed Solo stems.

These are the two main reasons why i don't use it daily. But, as a heavy hitter, and to use with water and other herbs (havent tried other herbs yet, but i will eventually), i still justify keeping it and i still enjoy it very much.

What i meant was, i find that with efficiency in mind, your choices are covered with the Solo and the LB. Not sure about the TVs, but i would deduce they are efficient as well.

If you want to maintain efficiency with a plug in unit, the DBV or other 7th floor product won't be the best choice. If you want a heavy hitter at a very appealing price tag that will work forever, i'd say you're pretty much set. I am curious about the LSV, always heard good things about them.

The "Cloud, VHW, Herborizer" class, is one with taste in mind. And especially the VHW and the Herborizer type are less pratical with the fragile parts, but they are vaporizers that have something special about them. I don't think they fit in the regular categories.

vorrange,

hoptimum

Don't take it as a hold it. The DBV is a great unit, and i am sure that if i had no need for concealment i would enjoy it much more.

For a daily use, i have to account for efficiency as a big variable since i don't have the economic means to maintain a big daily usage and i can't grow my own either. One of the reasons i decided to part with my DaVinci was because since the bowl was big and i could not see how much was in it, i found myself using more than i could. With the Solo, there is no such problem.

The WW has that advantage over the DBV, but for the sole reason of having a large bowl. To me, large bowls are the worst. A big thin bowl, you can just fill it a lil bit and you cover all the screen. This does not happen in a large screen, like in the DBV. So, to have a good user experience and a more even roast, you need to fill it quite a bit, i would say about 1-2 loosely packed Solo stems.

These are the two main reasons why i don't use it daily. But, as a heavy hitter, and to use with water and other herbs (havent tried other herbs yet, but i will eventually), i still justify keeping it and i still enjoy it very much.

What i meant was, i find that with efficiency in mind, your choices are covered with the Solo and the LB. Not sure about the TVs, but i would deduce they are efficient as well.

If you want to maintain efficiency with a plug in unit, the DBV or other 7th floor product won't be the best choice. If you want a heavy hitter at a very appealing price tag that will work forever, i'd say you're pretty much set. I am curious about the LSV, always heard good things about them.

The "Cloud, VHW, Herborizer" class, is one with taste in mind. And especially the VHW and the Herborizer type are less pratical with the fragile parts, but they are vaporizers that have something special about them. I don't think they fit in the regular categories.
I don't want to prejudice your decision either. Da Buddha is a tank and might be the best bang for buck of any plug in vapes. I can't speak to logs, but they are more expenisve.
that said, I can only echo everything vorrange says. In my experience, with DBV, EQ, MFLB and Iolite, Solo has become my favorite. For me it has the best flavors, especially at lower temps, toasts very evenly, doesn't require a lot of herb, and is portable; you're not tied to a cord. The battery life is decent to good and it heats up in a jiffy.
Some people don't like the restricted airflow--it means you need to draw slowly and evenly--and buy stems that allow more air. Me, I like the concentration of vapor from the restriction.
It's hard to go wrong with either the DBV or the Solo--I'd recommend getting both at some point.

hoptimum,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom