So many choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

Life Story (background) - go down for question
Hey guys, this is my first time on here.
I'm a newbie to marijuana, I've smoked a few dozen times over the years (I'm only 23), but still fairly unaccustomed to weed in general. I've never used a vaporizer, only ever joints and rarely bongs. My main reason for wanting to swap to marijuana as a staple is to get off alcohol, I have an accepting social circle some that smoke and others that do not that don't mind smokers being nearby. I pretty much want to smoke when my friends are drinking so we can get a buzz together and be social. I'm partially aware of the health benefits of marijuana to alcohol and only wish to be a recreational user. I'm more aware of the health benefits to using a vaporizer to smoking a dubie or other form of combustion smoking.

That's my life story and now to my question
I want to get a vaporizer, I can't afford a super high tech one, but I don't mind spending two-hundred odd $AUD on a quality vaporizer that is healthy(for consuming marijuana) and easy to use for a newbie.
  • This will be half personal, half use with friends
  • I'll probably be smoking as often as one drinks socially (my intended purpose)
  • I'm a fairly light-weight user at the moment
  • I may need to transport it occasionallyy
Just looking for suggestions on which vaporizer to get, if there is one appropriate for my use.

Thanks in advance for replies / advice

Euge.

Euge,

as

A log vape sounds a good fit IMO but arizer solo would be a good choice as well with a power addapter it is a portable but trust me it hits hard. I cant comment on any logs as i don't own one but i do want one.

Tweek

If you don't need it to be battery operated, a log vape is a good choice as well. Solo is pretty much a portable log in a way. The nice thing with either choice, is they are efficient and not too pricey. Although there are some good quality vapes that cost $$$ they are not always necessary, so start low and see how it goes. You may find yourself happy for many years to come, with a vape under $200.

There are also other great options like the FlashVape which has a new accessory for oil. The MFLB and the Pinnacle Pro which has alot of good reviews (still testing mine). The only thing with the MFLB and the FV, is you may or may not, find that there is a small learning curve compared to a log, solo or Pinnacle Pro. So if you want something fairly straightforward for a beginner, Solo or any log is a good place to start. Pro is a smaller, lighter portable which is something you could look into, if want a unit you can use when out and about.

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
solo, log vape or VAP2. All great first time vapes. The VAP2 is stupid cheap with the forum code. both the solo and VAP2 will introduce you to the wonderful world of taste in your meds.

log vapes are the shit. I'm still using my PD almost daily. The solo is like a portable log vape, the VAP2 is like an all glass log vape, and log vapes are log vapes. A good thing about the Solo and VAP2 is they are available and cheap.

stickstones,

Tweek

I always forget about the VAP2. Don't own one, but the price point is really tempting for an all glass air path.

Tweek,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
If your going to be out and about while indulging I would recommend the Long T-Vape or the DaVinci. The Long TVape is good if your sharing, it holds a lot and works well with a little. The DaVinci is a little beast that keeps me happy.

RUDE BOY,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I always forget about the VAP2. Don't own one, but the price point is really tempting for an all glass air path.

You need to get it. With all the other vapes you have and are acquiring, this one needs to be in there. Once I got it I was kicking myself for not getting it sooner. It's only $100 and we could play together in the VAP2 thread! Come on...do it!

CheeseSandwich

I'd have to agree with sticks on the VAP2, in the brief while i owned it before passing on to a friend it was a great vape and at a awesome price to boot. Fucking wicked flavor too!

CheeseSandwich,

Caligula

Maximus
Granted my only other experience with a vape is an old desktop Vapor Bros unit, and the unsuccessful one time use of a MFLB around when they were first released... however I can say that my Solo is a solid piece of vaping equipment.

I'm a techie, and can spot the issues with a product after a very short amount of use. So far, the only real issue I can find with the Solo are some minor ergonomic issues (charging from the bottom for example). That combined with the fact that its worked as advertised each and every time ive used it with no issues what so ever, means that I have no qualms suggesting a Solo to others.

Hell, I already told my brother to replace his aging Vape Bros desktop with one. He just needs an @Pipes AIO+ and it'll outclass his desktop unit.

TLDR;

I suggest a Solo because:
  • Inexpensive ($130-$160 new)
  • Very frugal with herb
  • All glass air-path (flavor)
  • Solid construction
  • Ease of use (idiot proof)
  • Overall performance compared to the competition
  • Accessory availability & "aftermarket" support (PVHE products, etc.)
  • Works as a solid desktop unit with minimal accessory purchases
  • Completely portable

Caligula

Maximus
Thank you all for your advice and help. The Solo seems to be getting the most love so far and will suit all my needs. I believe I have a winner for my first vape.

Thank you all again.

Euge.

If you do get the Solo I also humbly suggest getting an @Pipes AIO+ stand/charger. It may be difficult to imagine why you need this or how much better it'll make things... but trust me, its invaluable once you see the difference between that and the OEM Solo equipment.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-all-in-one-plus-solo-accessory-package-aio.11079/

Other than that, I wouldn't consider any of the other accessories something "mission critical", aside from a good herb grinder... but I'll leave the research on that stuff up to you at a later date.

In any case, let us know how you like whatever you decide on.

Caligula,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Euge

Hello all, I'm back.

I just received my solo in the mail and it looks quite sleek and sexy. It's fully charged, gave it a test warm up and fitted in the glass stems so that they would fit when I wanted to use it for the first time.

Even before my purchase I noticed a bit of chatter about bit of bud getting through the holes in glass stem, most people said to just pop a screen in there, which is no problem. Fewer people have said that they add in another screen on the bottom to stop the contact burn of the herb.

At this point it got a bit finicky for me, using paper clips and screens to try a prevent this stuff. My question is what if one were to put on screen in over the glass holes and then vaped the solo upside down with the bendy glass stem? Does anyone foresee a risk to the user by doing this to prevent the contact burn? or does the burn only occur on heat 7? (Which I never plan to put it on)

Thanks in advance :)

Euge.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Your temps are affected by both the heat setting AND your draw (inhale) speed. Start low on whatever set up your using & work your way up (self experiment)... then switch it up and try the ranges again.

Only YOU will find YOUR perfect way of use for YOUR satisfaction. There are no rules, wrong ways, nor right ways that suits 'everyone'.

Have fun, I know you'll love this device for a long time ;)

smokum,

weedemon

enthusiast
congrats on buying a solo! a great vape!

you're gonna have a good time on here my friend :)

the only screen i've used is one in the stem itself, (a metal one resting on the glass part with the holes) I can see how sandwiching your heb with another screen would be tough. personally that doesn't interest me, and sound like too much work. any herb thats in there after you take out your stem just dump out.

weedemon,

Caligula

Maximus
Hello all, I'm back.

I just received my solo in the mail and it looks quite sleek and sexy. It's fully charged, gave it a test warm up and fitted in the glass stems so that they would fit when I wanted to use it for the first time.

Even before my purchase I noticed a bit of chatter about bit of bud getting through the holes in glass stem, most people said to just pop a screen in there, which is no problem. Fewer people have said that they add in another screen on the bottom to stop the contact burn of the herb.

At this point it got a bit finicky for me, using paper clips and screens to try a prevent this stuff. My question is what if one were to put on screen in over the glass holes and then vaped the solo upside down with the bendy glass stem? Does anyone foresee a risk to the user by doing this to prevent the contact burn? or does the burn only occur on heat 7? (Which I never plan to put it on)

Thanks in advance :)

Euge.

Glad to see you got the Solo!

While I do use screens on the draw side of the bowl (side with the 4 holes in the glass) to prevent small pieces getting sucked through... I NEVER use a second screen on the bottom of the bowl. Simply push your herb in with your finger after packing the bowl and 99.999% of it will stay in there by itself.

Also even at heat level 7, the Solo won't get hot enough to combust your herb.

TLDR; Forget the second screen. You're overthinking this. Just pack your bowl, set the Solo to 3 or 4 and have at it. The unit is very fool proof.

Euge

Hello once again,

I'm back to report that the solo is going excellent. Had many sessions now to break it in, it's handling like a dream now. I didn't have the screens right away so I experienced some of the little bits getting through the holes and will need to clean the utensils soon. But now that I have the screens it pulls beautifully and gets me nice and jolly for a good while.

I'm just blazing away now, looking very forward to using my ABV to make a nice milkshake that I read in the cooking thread. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post or read this, your advice has been very well used.

Till next time, happy vaping :)

Euge.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
euge...check the solo thread for how to use the dirty stem to make chocolate milk when it is time to clean it.

Also, if you want to use it with a bubbler, or you want a stem that isn't fragile for travelling, check out ed's tnt stems. I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom