Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@ClearBlueLou Nothing to be sorry about. It wont be that difficult to clean. Silicon is safe up to 220C Over that amount it starts releasing toxic fumes. If dabbing below that temps i guess it is ok,but... if you overtorch a bit,then you are in the cancer wagon.
@Gonzo_Dabs I have suggested in other posts that it would require a special folding at the bottom to create a funnel or an oil trap.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Even if you use a razor to get it up, you’ll need it highly polished to avoid getting bits of steel in yer goo (and yes, microshavings ARE a thing).

I really like the idea of forging onto glass, but I think I’d break A LOT of glass trying to find one that would stand up under a full press. I’ll pass on the crushed glass and let someone else do that part.

Not sure how silicone came into this, other than your desire to not use papers with silicone on them, so I’m not sure how to respond to some of this - I thought that was the point you said you were trying to make. I have no idea what temp I dab at, I’m sure I’ll have done it enough to know at some point, just like I don’t know yet what a big or small dab looks like, and of all my 100 things, cancer isn’t one.

I will live as long as I keep waking up, like always, just like everybody else.

Last edited:
ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: steama

Gonzo_Dabs

Even if you use a razor to get it up, you’ll need it highly polished to avoid getting bits of steel in yer goo (and yes, microshavings ARE a thing).

I really like the idea of forging onto glass, but I think I’d break A LOT of glass trying to find one that would stand up under a full press. I’ll pass on the crushed glass and let someone else do that part.

Not sure how silicone came into this, other than your desire to not use papers with silicone on them, so I’m not sure how to respond to some of this - I thought that was the point you said you were trying to make. I have no idea what temp I dab at, I’m sure I’ll have done it enough to know at some point, just like I don’t know yet what a big or small dab looks like, and of all my 100 things, cancer isn’t one.

I will live as long as I keep waking up, like always, just like everybody else.

We weren't talking about forging onto glass. Dripping the rosin onto a glass dish was the topic. And silicone was brought up because we all use parchment paper that has a silicone coating I believe. We press directly onto the paper so his concern is the pressure and the slug are removing silicone nanoparticles and they mix into the rosin. I would like to know how much pressure is required to remove these particles. Then I will see if I'm concerned.

That last part Lou is kind of......redundant. I mean yeah we live until we aren't alive anymore. That doesnt mean we shouldn't avoid things that will speed that process up.

VmosDef

I have not pressed since that night (things are a bit "dry" in my neck of the woods, so I need to be conserve-mode). I've been sandwiching balls of that dark shit I made in those pics you mention between flower in my Woodscents log from @Ed's TnT for my evening vape and it's going a long way. I've still got a little left, so I haven't squished any more yet.

Heating time? Still working that out. In those first three presses I went between 1:25 and over 2:00, but the slug wasn't necessarily cooled off each time, and I just need to press more before I have much of a strong preference.

Like I said...I'm as new as you. Those pics were the only three squishes I've attempted so far. I suspect I'll be pressing a gram from a Headband strain in the next couple of nights though.

I haven't tried pressing vertically.

Dope man, i hope you get even more yields on your next forges! Maybe consider growing your own flowers to overcome the drought lol. I just started a small indoor grow for my personal use, can't wait to squish these flowers once they are ready!!:cool:

Yeah this I can wholeheartedly agree with. I have barely scratched the surface of this thing so I'm excited to continue using it for many years. My deuce is just waiting for me to break it in. After work today I will be doing several presses. I will aim for a gram.

Welcome Vmos!! Good to have you. In regards to pressing vertically it's not ideal. The point of horizontal pressing is to let the rosin drip down to collect as much as possible. If gravity wasn't pulling it down it would just pool around the slug and maybe even get sucked back in a little when you release the vice. Now at an angle like 75 degrees there would still be a drip. I don't particularly see a benefit though. But I started horizontally so that's what I'm used to :shrug:

Thanks for the input Gonzo! I definitely will start with horizontal and then play around with the different angles after i get the hang of controlling all the other variables :nod:.

What kind of paper would you recommend for pressing? Just regular parchment paper or that PTFE paper? Last thing i want to do is vape that Silica with my Dabs. Thanks!

VmosDef,

Gonzo_Dabs

I just use Reynolds parchment paper. But I might see about trying an uncoated paper next.

Sorry about th orientation guys. For some reason tinypic keeos rotating my pictures. Any tips on this?

This was tonight. 2 separate 1 gram presses. 1:10 heat time. Went without a hitch.

33a5fz5.jpg

30ljaf4.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I just use Reynolds parchment paper. But I might see about trying an uncoated paper next.

Sorry about th orientation guys. For some reason tinypic keeos rotating my pictures. Any tips on this?

This was tonight. 2 separate 1 gram presses. 1:10 heat time. Went without a hitch.

33a5fz5.jpg

30ljaf4.jpg

Nice. What kind of return % are you getting with those?

Gonzo_Dabs

I'm sure i didn't measure it with any accuracy. I tared with a similarly sized piece of parchment and came up with roughly .25 when I combined both runs. So 12.5%?

steama

Somebody is obviously going to make a method to heat the slug with electricity. One thing I have come to love about the slugs is the ease and speed of the process and with a fan cooling a couple deuce slugs you can just keep on making rosin non-stop. There is much to love about the torch method like the low cost, mobility, and simplicity. There is something elegant and organic making fresh rosin with a torch powered press. I love the entire process. There is no reason these aspects of the slug can't remain with an electric heating method. A coil is one of the most obvious ideas because most of us use coils, but there are other possibilities to heat a slug to make rosin using electricity. I just happen to be a huge fan of the torch powered OG slug33 process.

There should probably be a thread for the goal of making an electric powered slug33. Ideas would have a better chance of turning into something more than an idea...depending how Natty feels about this seems to matter too. I really don't know but it is obvious many people want a smaller electric powered slug33...maybe call it the slugEE as a play on the 33?

:D

What kind of paper would you recommend for pressing? Just regular parchment paper or that PTFE paper? Last thing i want to do is vape that Silica with my Dabs. Thanks!
parchment over PTFE every day of the week imo :nod:

The thread below is all you want to know about PTFE.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-use-of-ptfe.26813/

All parchment paper is coated with silicone. I have been using Natty's method, cold pack and pick gently off the parchment. It literally takes less than a minute. The other great thing is that using this method barely if at all disturbs the silicone coating which is baked onto the paper to be safe and virtually non removable, parchment paper is heat resistant up to 450F. One last thing is silicone used on parchment is virtually non-toxic...it's made that way so it is safe to cook with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abysmal Vapor

@BornAgainSteama I think you have mistaken Silicon (element) for Silicone .
Edited: I just saw the link, this is not info related to silicone baking paper ,but some other type of ceramic coated silicone.
What i was suggesting is that you dont wanna dab those particles above 200 C. Also silicone coating isnt hard. I can pinch it with my finger or rip it off,imagine what the power of any pressure device can do to the surface.. Anyway i do not want to pursue this any further in this thread. This is more like the general rosin thread. What is important here is trying to find a way around rather than trying to ease our minds off it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone
""Because they are widely used, silicone compounds are pervasive in indoor and outdoor environments. Particular silicone compounds, cyclic siloxanes D4 and D5, are air and water pollutants and have negative health effects on test animals. [18] They are used in various personal care products. The European Chemicals Agency found that "D4 is a persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) substance and D5 is a very persistent, very bioaccumulative (vPvB) substance". [19] [20] Other silicones biodegrade readily, a process that is accelerated by a variety of catalysts, including clays.[1] Cyclic silicones have been shown to involve the occurrence of silanolsduring biodegration in mammals.[21] The resulting silanediols and silanetriols are capable of inhibiting hydrolytic enzymes such as thermolysin, acetycholinesterase, however the doses required for inhibition are by orders of magnitude higher than the ones resulting from the accumulated exposure to consumer products containing cyclomethicones.[22][23]

Around 200 °C in oxygen-containing atmosphere, PDMS releases traces of formaldehyde but less than other common materials such as polyethylene.,[24][25] and by 200 °C (392 °F) Silicones (< 3 µg CH2O/(g·hr) for a high consistency silicone rubber to 48 µg CH2O/(g·hr)) were found to be superior to mineral oil and plastics(~400 µg CH2O/(g·hr)) at about 200 °C (392 °F), by 250 °C (482 °F) copious amounts of formaldehyde have been found to be produced for all silicones (1200 µg CH2O/(g·hr) to 4600 µg CH2O/(g·hr)).[25]""

Fan cooling + torch + refilling butane .. sounds more complicated than a coil to me,but different strokes for diff folks.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

steama

@BornAgainSteama I think you have mistaken Silicon (element) for Silicone .
Edited: I just saw the link, this is not info related to silicone baking paper ,but some other type of ceramic coated silicone.
What i was suggesting is that you dont wanna dab those particles above 200 C. Also silicone coating isnt hard. I can pinch it with my finger or rip it off,imagine what the power of any pressure device can do to the surface.. Anyway i do not want to pursue this any further in this thread. This is more like the general rosin thread. What is important here is trying to find a way around rather than trying to ease our minds off it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone
""Because they are widely used, silicone compounds are pervasive in indoor and outdoor environments. Particular silicone compounds, cyclic siloxanes D4 and D5, are air and water pollutants and have negative health effects on test animals. [18] They are used in various personal care products. The European Chemicals Agency found that "D4 is a persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) substance and D5 is a very persistent, very bioaccumulative (vPvB) substance". [19] [20] Other silicones biodegrade readily, a process that is accelerated by a variety of catalysts, including clays.[1] Cyclic silicones have been shown to involve the occurrence of silanolsduring biodegration in mammals.[21] The resulting silanediols and silanetriols are capable of inhibiting hydrolytic enzymes such as thermolysin, acetycholinesterase, however the doses required for inhibition are by orders of magnitude higher than the ones resulting from the accumulated exposure to consumer products containing cyclomethicones.[22][23]

Around 200 °C in oxygen-containing atmosphere, PDMS releases traces of formaldehyde but less than other common materials such as polyethylene.,[24][25] and by 200 °C (392 °F) Silicones (< 3 µg CH2O/(g·hr) for a high consistency silicone rubber to 48 µg CH2O/(g·hr)) were found to be superior to mineral oil and plastics(~400 µg CH2O/(g·hr)) at about 200 °C (392 °F), by 250 °C (482 °F) copious amounts of formaldehyde have been found to be produced for all silicones (1200 µg CH2O/(g·hr) to 4600 µg CH2O/(g·hr)).[25]""

Fan cooling + torch + refilling butane .. sounds more complicated than a coil to me,but different strokes for diff folks.
What culinary parchment paper is coated with (silicone and sometimes quilon):
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+parchment+paper+coated+with?&rlz=1CAASUL_enUS811&oq=what+is+parchment+paper+coated+with?&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.10769j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

How is silicone made:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+is+silicone+made?&rlz=1CAASUL_enUS811&oq=how+is+silicone+made?&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6585j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

How toxic are silicones?
This is the big question, and there is not yet a clear answer. They are very stable polymers with strong temperature and chemical resistance, so we consider them relatively safe. A number of the products like, Life Without Plastic—such as stainless-steel or glass food containers and bottles—include silicone seals or gaskets to make them airtight and watertight. At this point, we are not aware of a better durable alternative for such applications, apart from perhaps natural rubber for things like soothers and bottle nipples, as long as there is no risk of rubber allergy.

Many experts and authorities consider silicones to be nontoxic and safe for contact with food and drink. For example, Health Canada states: "There are no known health hazards associated with use of silicone cookware. Silicone rubber does not react with food or beverages, or produce any hazardous fumes.

@Abysmal Vapor have you ever done a slug33 rosin run? Do you own the small 1 gram slug33, the deuce, or the fat mac? Maybe before you start explaining how much easier an electric set-up would be you should do a couple slug33 runs first, you know, for the experience and know how of the slug33 system.

:peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

Abysmal Vapor

@BornAgainSteama Hey bro,it is true that i dont have experience with the slug,but you also you dont have any experience with an electrified slug to compare to.. so, until someone tries both,nothing is sure :p.Anyway..
I would snag one in a near future for sure,if some else that is designed to work with small amonts and to work well without parchment,doesnt hit the market first :).
No need to educate me on silicone i have done my lesson. I am not the only one who sees the dangers of it ,you can be sure of that. It says for a reason to not go over 220 C .

Abysmal Vapor,

steama

@BornAgainSteama Hey bro,it is true that i dont have experience with the slug,but you also you dont have any experience with an electrified slug to compare to.. so, until someone tries both,nothing is sure :p.Anyway..
I would snag one in a near future for sure,if some else that is designed to work with small amonts and to work well without parchment,doesnt hit the market first :).
No need to educate me on silicone i have done my lesson. I am not the only one who sees the dangers of it ,you can be sure of that. It says for a reason to not go over 220 C .
At least get a little hands on experience before you start spout off like you have a clue because you do not. Why don't you go to slug33.com and at the very least pick-up a 1 gram unit....professor.

steama,

Gonzo_Dabs

I appreciate the analogy Natty uses to explain the use of a torch. It's like making an egg. Very few people pull out a timer and clock the temp of pan and then make the egg. You gotta fuck up a few eggs before you can pump out good eggs consistently. When you put in the time you give yourself an insight to the process.

@Abysmal Vapor But we do have experience with the slug. Not having experience in something that doesn't exist and is only an idea at the moment isn't the same as not having experience in the tool you're trying to improve in the first place. I am concerned about the silicone thing a bit. Out of everything you've said I am concerned with that enough to look further into it.

Hopefully the freeze and squeeze with work just as well with uncoated paper. I am having excellent luck chilling and squeezing my parchment and then quickly separating the two halves of paper. The chilled rosin just stays on one side and can be re folded to a smaller size and re chilled and plucked away until it's all together. If this can be done with uncoated paper and then collected into glass I think our problems are solved. If there even is a problem with coated paper to start with.

Honestly alot of people really need to understand the niche the slug is filling before judging or trying to improve. But no one is trying to improve a French press to make it a Keurig.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

@BornAgainSteama I never claim to be a proffesor,but i dont see many of those on that forum... so everyones words can be seen as paperweight here :))..
This is just my stream of thought,i am not opposing anyone. Sry that is hard for you to get that some people cant just spend money on something just to see if it works for them.. I need more convincing cause funds are tight are this corner of the world. For me getting a slug would involve, gettomg paying shipping and taxes on it from the US ,and explain at customs what is it for,not a great experience and will probably l end up costing twice the price you can get it for in the US.
Until a EU retailer pops up or one doesnt hits the classifieds,i dont seeing myself doing that leap of faith :)..
Anyway i will stop to pursue this venture. Please have fun with the torches and silicone paper, i have nothing against it. I am somewhat paranoid by nature and just cannot leave with some things as they are,so i need to make them safer.

Abysmal Vapor,

steama

@BornAgainSteama I never claim to be a proffesor,but i dont see many of those on that forum... so everyones words can be seen as paperweight here :))..
This is just my stream of thought,i am not opposing anyone. Sry that is hard for you to get that some people cant just spend money on something just to see if it works for them.. I need more convincing cause funds are tight are this corner of the world. For me getting a slug would involve, paying shipping and taxes on it from the US ,and explain at customs what is it for,not a great experience.
Until a EU retailer pops up or one doesnt hits the classifieds,i dont seeing myself doing that leap of faith :)..
Anyway i will stop to pursue this venture. Please have fun with the torches and silicone paper, i have nothing against it. I am somewhat paranoid by nature and just cannot leave with some things as they are,so i need to make them safer.
You speak of things with the slug33 like you have a clue. Ideas are great but you get into pissing contests with people that actually have the product and experience. I just don't get it...professor.

steama,

Abysmal Vapor

@BornAgainSteama I dont think i am the one turning this into a pissing contest but please be welcome to continue in Private if you like to explain me in detail what is wrong with my posts. I really dont see why my suggestions trigger you like that. Peace.

Abysmal Vapor,

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I know it’s popular to think of Americans as fantastically rich, but money is a struggle for almost all of us, there are many employed poor people in the US, many retired people were wiped out ten years ago. I used everything I could scrape together to buy my slug setup. It will be several months before I can spend more on anything.

This is not to pee in the conversation, to the contrary I think it’s a conversation of its own and deserves its own thread.

Abysmal Vapor

Picked up a new torch from amazon that is a whip-it rebrand. It has no tear drop lock switch but is the same in every other way for only $11.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWKNM5W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

617xAnEsEUL._SX425_.jpg

:nod:
The Whip-IT is actually a rebrand of the Chinese BS-400 torch by the Honeyban Factory. I am enjoying the BS-600 which flame size is more compare to the blazer big buddy though,it is not optimal for the slug,but those are a decent brand of chinese torches.(BS-XXX)

steama

The Whip-IT is actually a rebrand of the Chinese BS-400 torch by the Honeyban Factory. I am enjoying the BS-600 which flame size is more compare to the blazer big buddy though,it is not optimal for the slug,but those are a decent brand of chinese torches.(BS-XXX)
I was wondering what the 400 meant on all the rebrands. Thanks for that info. Man, they are super cheap once you know about the rebrand thing.

VmosDef

33a5fz5.jpg

30ljaf4.jpg

That is Proper!!! I am also digging the piston heads in the background, what are you building lol

How did it taste and did you get lifted, that ish looks good!!

Somebody is obviously going to make a method to heat the slug with electricity. One thing I have come to love about the slugs is the ease and speed of the process and with a fan cooling a couple deuce slugs you can just keep on making rosin non-stop. There is much to love about the torch method like the low cost, mobility, and simplicity. There is something elegant and organic making fresh rosin with a torch powered press. I love the entire process. There is no reason these aspects of the slug can't remain with an electric heating method. A coil is one of the most obvious ideas because most of us use coils, but there are other possibilities to heat a slug to make rosin using electricity. I just happen to be a huge fan of the torch powered OG slug33 process.

There should probably be a thread for the goal of making an electric powered slug33. Ideas would have a better chance of turning into something more than an idea...depending how Natty feels about this seems to matter too. I really don't know but it is obvious many people want a smaller electric powered slug33...maybe call it the slugEE as a play on the 33?

:D

parchment over PTFE every day of the week imo :nod:

The thread below is all you want to know about PTFE.
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-use-of-ptfe.26813/

All parchment paper is coated with silicone. I have been using Natty's method, cold pack and pick gently off the parchment. It literally takes less than a minute. The other great thing is that using this method barely if at all disturbs the silicone coating which is baked onto the paper to be safe and virtually non removable, parchment paper is heat resistant up to 450F. One last thing is silicone used on parchment is virtually non-toxic...it's made that way so it is safe to cook with.

Thanks man that was good info, I shall go with that :)

Gonzo_Dabs

It was really good man. And yeah I definitely got up there haha I have a high tolerance from years of smoking flower and this got me toasty as fuck haha.

Those are the pistons for my 1988 Toyota Pickup with a bored out 22re.

Top Bottom