Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I have a 6" desk fan in a box somewhere. I'll have to look for it another day.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm more confident to proceed now.

Consistency's not bad with this, even though it is what it is...in a 75F room, it "pulls n, snaps" off the parchment cleanly and seems to be stable. Doesn't taste very good (a lot of terps, good terps, were murdered this day with that overheated cylinder), But the potency didn't let me down. About .02 (eyeballed) in the banger and I'm happy.

It did dirty up the banger pretty good though. I used both sides of 4 qtips with iso to get it all off and clean around the edges. Though, I kind-of expected something like that, with the look of the stuff (using 30mm opaque bottom banger from @710Coils ). As long as it cleans off, I'm fine. I also recognize that I may need a different temp with this than the other extract I've been provided with in the past.

And, I'm not catching on that fast. I watched a lot of slug.33 videos and did a lot of reading of this thread and elsewhere for a few weeks before I ordered.

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Oh,well done,@Ramahs !!!

I am genuinely impressed by your fortitude and YOUR RESULTS!

I may have to double-forge *everything* now...is it conceivable that there could be a productive fourth run? That puck looks like it might not be done?

Kudos - just like that, you’re an inspiration!

steama

I have a 6" desk fan in a box somewhere. I'll have to look for it another day.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm more confident to proceed now.

Consistency's not bad with this, even though it is what it is...in a 75F room, it "pulls n, snaps" off the parchment cleanly and seems to be stable. Doesn't taste very good (a lot of terps, good terps, were murdered this day with that overheated cylinder), But the potency didn't let me down. About .02 (eyeballed) in the banger and I'm happy.

It did dirty up the banger pretty good though. I used both sides of 4 qtips with iso to get it all off and clean around the edges. Though, I kind-of expected something like that, with the look of the stuff. As long as it cleans off, I'm fine. I also recognize that I may need a different temp with this than the other extract I've been provided with in the past.

And, I'm not catching on that fast. I watched a lot of slug.33 videos and did a lot of reading of this thread and elsewhere for a few weeks before I ordered.
still good

Ramahs

I may have to double-forge *everything* now...is it conceivable that there could be a productive fourth run? That puck looks like it might not be done?

You may have misunderstood me, or I may have not been clear enough.
The second press was the puck from the first press...but the third press was new material.

Ramahs

That's what I meant by "Second gram, third press." I meant third press tonight, total, from start.

But, now that I reread that sentence, I realize that was not the clearest way to say that.
Oh well...I've had fun tonight anyway :rofl:
And I have high-hopes for three to five presses from now....but that will have to wait for another day.

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

@Ramahs , did you get a tracking number from NBD?
I’ve only found one Fat Mac forging session on the YT, watched it a bunch. Will watch others if I can find them

Last edited:
ClearBlueLou,

Ramahs

@Ramahs , did you get a tracking number from NBD?

I’ve only found one Fat Mac forging session on the YT, watched it a bunch. Will watch others if I can find them

No I didn't. I ordered on Thursday, and received on Monday. I never received any tracking info, which is why I was happily surprised when I received it yesterday. I'd assumed that it hadn't shipped yet, as I never received any shipment notification or tracking info.

Ramahs

He said Friday, here, he’d shipped them. All okay, just waiting.

You also may be further, geographically, from NBD than I am.

But no, I received an order confirmation immediately after I placed the order. But I never received a shipment confirmation, tracking info, or anything else after that...till the Slug.33 showed up in my mailbox yesterday, completely unexpectedly.

------------------------------------------------

In other news, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but...has no one wrapped a heated coil around this thing for a constant temp? Have we already found reasons why this is a bad idea or what?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but...has no one wrapped a heated coil around this thing for a constant temp? Have we already found reasons why this is a bad idea or what?

I'm rocking a sandwiched flower bowl with a 0.03g - 0.04g of that rosin I pressed last night from Blue Dream sandwiched in some Headband flower in my Woodscents log from @Ed's TnT , and am thoroughly enjoying it, so I'm in the mood for stupid questions :tinfoil:

Last edited:

steama

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but...has no one wrapped a heated coil around this thing for a constant temp? Have we already found reasons why this is a bad idea or what?
For me the beauty of the slug33 is that you do not need to plug it in. You can use it anywhere you can sit your ass down.

:nod:

steama,
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

For me the beauty of the slug33 is that you do not need to plug it in. You can use it anywhere you can sit your ass down.

:nod:

Yeah...I felt the same way about my Dynavap vaporizers...till I acquired an induction heater for my desk.
Then I look at the people over at the Elev8tr thread...and I get curious.

Last edited:

Gonzo_Dabs

The coil idea has been discussed but hasn't been executed yet. It is a good idea and if it could be done without altering the slug it would be an absolute breakthrough I believe.

Gonzo_Dabs,
Reactions: Ramahs

steama

The coil idea has been discussed but hasn't been executed yet. It is a good idea and if it could be done without altering the slug it would be an absolute breakthrough I believe.
For small slugs a coil seems like a huge a waste of time and a bad idea imo. They are so small and also require cool down to reload, a coil would make them awkward to handle and use in a vise. It seems to me the reasons for this is the slug33s for the most part have been designed from the ground up to be used with a torch. What is the point in making something very simple and elegant more difficult and complicated?

I am under the impression there is a larger electrical unit on @Nattybushdoctor drawing board.

bigboy.png

https://slug33.com/shop?olsPage=products/slug33-limax-avail-fall-2018&page=2

The Slug.33 Limax
With the ability to extract from 4 3/4 to 5oz's of flower at once the Slug.33 Limax is the world's largest capacity commercial rosin press. Crushing the competition, the Limax is the king when it comes to pressing quantity. The Limax comes with a 500 watt electric silicone strap heater with built in thermostat and temperature control. Low temperature presses and consistency is as easy as the turn of a dial. The Limax can also be heated to appropriate temperatures with propane, butane or natural gas. If you are looking for Mass Production, the Slug.33 Limax is it.

:2c:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gonzo_Dabs

I haven't looked any further into it because I like the way it is now. But like I said if it could be done without modifying it it would he awesome. There is no cool down required. Dip it in water if you're in a hurry as per Nattys advice. But again I'm not saying it should be done or needs to be

steama

I haven't looked any further into it because I like the way it is now. But like I said if it could be done without modifying it it would he awesome. There is no cool down required. Dip it in water if you're in a hurry as per Nattys advice. But again I'm not saying it should be done or needs to be
Real awesome tied to a PID...refilling, removing, cooling, corded...you have made everything much more difficult using the slug33.

Dipping in water to cool is very messy. If you put a fan on the smaller slugs they cool almost in the time it takes to start another run.

Gonzo_Dabs

Water is very messy? Well okay if you say so.

I haven't made anything more difficult. I havent done anything I'm saying if someone found a way to add removable temp control that would be awesome. Because someone asked if it had been done. I don't need to be sold on the simplicity of this thing. I bought it. I use it.

steama

Water is very messy? Well okay if you say so.

I haven't made anything more difficult. I havent done anything I'm saying if someone found a way to add removable temp control that would be awesome. Because someone asked if it had been done. I don't need to be sold on the simplicity of this thing. I bought it. I use it.
If you want a small electric rosin press they make those, maybe you should have went that route. Have you tried cooling with water yet? Yeah, it is messy with the slugs.

Gonzo_Dabs

I cool with water every time. I can make 2 presses in less than 10 minutes and the slug is cool and clean and ready to go again.

You seem really hurt and defensive by me simply answering someone else's question. Like I'm saying the slug needs improvement. I already said I will be getting an electric press earlier in this thread. That doesn't take anything away from the slug.

steama

You seem really hurt and defensive by me simply answering someone else's question. Like I'm saying the slug needs improvement. I already said I will be getting an electric press earlier in this thread. That doesn't take anything away from the slug.
I simply disagree with many of your suggestions.

ClearBlueLou

I’m probably not the only one who has neither the space nor the interest for messing with e-nails and their cognates.

I love my IH for my vapcaps, but there’s no way I can see to just ADD IH to a Slug without the result being a frankensteinian mess. The only alternative to that would be to build it in, and NBD has announced his plans on that front. For myself, my medical activities are limited to a single room, it is not MY room, and anything more involved than a small spoon pipe makes our landlord nervous.

MANY have asked about wrapping an e-nail around a slug, many have thought it would be a good idea, but no one’s come back to say they did it and report. No one is dead-set against it, but you might want to go talk to @710Coils about it.

FTR, I see no basis for calling @BornAgainSteama “defensive” or “hurt” in his response to you; you may not have got the response you expected, but that’s no basis for mischaracterizing the response you got.

Happy for you and your success, have fun with your ideas, let us know how they work out for you, okay?

steama

I’m probably not the only one who has neither the space nor the interest for messing with e-nails and their cognates.

I love my IH for my vapcaps, but there’s no way I can see to just ADD IH to a Slug without the result being a frankensteinian mess. The only alternative to that would be to build it in, and NBD has announced his plans on that front. For myself, my medical activities are limited to a single room, it is not MY room, and anything more involved than a small spoon pipe makes our landlord nervous.

MANY have asked about wrapping an e-nail around a slug, many have thought it would be a good idea, but no one’s come back to say they did it and report. No one is dead-set against it, but you might want to go talk to @710Coils about it.

FTR, I see no basis for calling @BornAgainSteama “defensive” or “hurt” in his response to you; you may not have got the response you expected, but that’s no basis for mischaracterizing the response you got.

Happy for you and your success, have fun with your ideas, let us know how they work out for you, oka?
I am very direct and confrontational towards ideas, but it seems strange to me that conversations be expected to avoid disagreements. How can we all agree on all things? Over the last two days I have honestly disagreed with much of what @Gonzo_Dabs has posted. That seems pretty normal to me. This is not personal only my honest perspectives from my experience.

Gonzo_Dabs

Happy for you and your success, have fun with your ideas, let us know how they work out for you, okay?

The only thing I have done is point out that very fact Lou. That it has been talked about but never executed. I've never looked into. As I've said a bunch of times. And also I dont know what ideas you are telling me to have fun with. Steama posted about PIDs and I have no idea what that even means. I never made a single mention of anything like that. I have never proposed a single solitary idea other than the original intended design of the slug. I simply replied to another poster who was asking if it has been done. My response was if it could be done it would be awesome. I did say breakthrough so maybe that was a bit of an overstatement on my part. But I never said I'd do it/buy it/build it. Steama is right that it is better to just buy an electric setup and I expressed my desire to do so earlier in the thread. Steama seemed to not like that I expressed it would be awesome and took it as me making things more difficult. I have no idea of the logistics of added a coil to the slug. I don't know much about that. I was referring more to it being awesome if someone or Natty himself made something (not necessarily wrapping a coil around it) to add temp control. Like something inside the slug to show temp. I wasn't being as specific as I should have been regarding what I consider awesome.

It has nothing to do with me not liking a response. I was never looking for any type of response from anyone. I was giving someone my opinion. Others didn't like me saying it was awesome. I don't consider this anything out of the ordinary either. I'm just of the opinion I haven't really said anything that merits any of this honestly. I never came here and talked about PIDs being better or we should put them on or whatever. I have been nothing but an outspoken advocate for this thing. Months before I even bought it. Sorry if my saying it would be awesome if someone found a different way of doing it made it seem otherwise.

Last edited:

steama

he only thing I have done is point out that very fact Lou. That it has been talked about but never executed. I've never looked into. As I've said a bunch of times. And also I dont know what ideas you are telling me to have fun with. Steama posted about PIDs and I have no idea what that even means. I never made a single mention of anything like that. I have never proposed nor even mentioned a single solitary idea other than the original intended design of the slug. I simply replied to another poster who was asking if it has been done. My response was if it could be done it would be awesome. Never said I'd do it/buy it/build it. Steama seemed to not like that I expressed it would be awesome and took it as me making things more difficult.

It has nothing to do with me not liking a response. I was never looking for any type of response from anyone. I was giving someone my opinion. If anyone didn't like anything it was Steama. If anyone was mischaracterizing anyone it was Steama. Which in and of itself isn't a big deal anyway. I don't consider this anything out of the ordinary either. I'm just of the opinion I haven't really said anything that merits any of this honestly. I never came here and talked about PIDs being better or we should put them on or whatever. I have been nothing but an outspoken advocate for this thing. Months before I even bought it. Sorry if my saying it would be awesome if someone found a different way of doing it made it seem otherwise.
A PID is a controller for the coil you proposed.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...131j0i131i20i263j0i22i30j33i13i21.Jno5Rl2jobs

@Gonzo_Dabs please do not take it as a personal attack that I completely disagree with the idea of rigging a coil up to a slug. There will be different ideas that come about with discussion. Disagreement is not a bad thing or an attack it is just part of conversation. Yesterday I disagreed with your method of chilling rosin in the open freezer. No big deal me saying that this method added water to my rosin because I already had done it several times.

Are you saying I should just keep these things to myself?

Top Bottom