Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Gonzo_Dabs

A PID is a controller for the coil you proposed.

@Gonzo_Dabs please do not take it as a personal attack that I completely disagree with the idea of rigging a coil up to a slug. There will be different ideas that come about with discussion. Disagreement is not a bad thing or an attack it is just part of conversation. Yesterday I disagreed with your method of chilling rosin in the freezer. No big deal I just felt that it added water to my rosin because I already had tried it several times.

Are you saying I should just keep these things to myself?

No! Not all all man. I have been editing my past post while you posted this one so theres a delay in the conversation. I'm not one to take these things personally. I didn't propose the coil thing though that's the only misunderstanding I'd like to clear up. I am absolutely a fan of honest discussion and sharing of ideas. I have stopped putting my stuff in the freezer entirely and adopted the method you proposed. I may have been unclear as to my stance on adding a coil to the slug. I simply think in the sense that if someone took it upon themselves to do it in a way that was actually functional and fully controlled without making it so the slug can't be used with a torch, it would be cool. Not cool like I would drop my torch and modify my slug this way. Never. I would get a electric press. I too am not a "fan" of the coil idea. I just think it would be cool from an engineering and creativity point of view. Not in a superior way.

steama

No! Not all all man. I have been editing my past post while you posted this one so theres a delay in the conversation. I'm not one to take these things personally. I didn't propose the coil thing though that's the only misunderstanding I'd like to clear up. I am absolutely a fan of honest discussion and sharing of ideas. I have stopped putting my stuff in the freezer entirely and adopted the method you proposed. I may have been unclear as to my stance on adding a coil to the slug. I simply think in the sense that if someone took it upon themselves to do it in a way that was actually functional and fully controlled without making it so the slug can't be used with a torch, it would be cool. Not cool like I would drop my torch and modify my slug this way. Never. I would get a electric press. I too am not a "fan" of the coil idea. I just think it would be cool from an engineering and creativity point of view. Not in a superior way.
No big deal at all buddy. We are all just learning and sharing. Wonderful things like the slug33 inspire creativity by people who use it. Personally I do not want to see this thread devolve into how to modify your slug33 thread. I am more concerned with the best techniques how to use it. Especially helping noobs get off to a good start. Like informing them not be be shy of the heat when starting your first runs. Great ideas like what to do if you have a failed run. I wasted about $100 because I was clueless how to recover a failed run. That was one of the best ideas this thread has ever seen. That was your idea and gift to this thread.

That's an awesome looking set up you got going on there! And you are catching on fast! Welcome to the family!

My advice on redoing a failed press. Heat it for like 45 seconds to start. The slug and the material are still hot so you don't need to do it the full minute or so.

I pre compress before heating so that 1/3 or so of the piston is in. Or until it gets a noticeably harder. Not alot harder. Just enough to feel it for sure. Then I heat for about 30 seconds before I start compressing and compress slow enough to where I'm done heating before I bottom it out.
Fucking awesome post!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
It doesn't seem that complicated to me. If one had the right size coil, it would just slip over the rear end of the cylinder (just a couple of coil wraps) and, as long as it was snug enough, that would give you a handle to hold the slug from when you both insert it and remove it from the vise. You can also hold it by this "handle" to dunk it in water if you want to cool it off that way (or just to set it in front of a fan).

No worry about timing your heatup or anything like that. It all seems like a simplified press to me, not a more complicated one. However, I recognize that I'm new to the party here, and inexperienced. So, I may be unknowingly full of shit, and I recognize that.

Last edited:

steama

I fear that'd dramatically shorten the lifetime of the coil!?
Awh come on, if you are very careful to only dunk the metal part of the coil, but keeping the cable fabric dry you could get probably get a cool dozen or so decent runs before you kill the coil.

It doesn't seem that complicated to me. If one had the right size coil, it would just slip over the rear end of the sylander (just a couple of coil wraps) and, as long as it was snug enough, that would give you a handle to hold the slug from when you both insert it and remove it from the vise. You can also hold it by this "handle" to dunk it in water if you want to cool it off that way (or just to set it in front of a fan).

No worry about timing your heatup or anything like that. It all seems like a simplified press to me, not a more complicated one. However, I recognize that I'm new to the party here, and inexperienced. So, I may be unknowingly full of shit, and I recognize that.

The slug33 system is so well thought out. It is down to the type of torch, flame size adjustment, precise heating time, precise material weight, seep kit, collection process. I think what @Nattybushdoctor has engineered is very amazing considering the degree he details his creations.

No doubt a person could make a small electric powered slug33 because determined creative people can do almost anything, but at least give it its own dedicated thread. That way we can focus the collective FC stoner brain power and make an electric slug...maybe call it the electric eel.

:rockon:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
I can list plenty of advantages to having an induction-heated Slug, just like I can think of plenty of advantages to having an e-nail. Wizard shit, I agree, but I can also list plenty of disadvantages for each, in terms of maintaining the original device in its original context.

I’m an engineer by training, though not by schooling, but the entire point of how the slugs works depends on a consistent solid mass surrounding the herb, and modifications to that, to incorporate any kind of heater, would result in a significantly different device. The run-through of an external coil requires a built-in thermometer, if not an actual thermocouple(?)/temp-tripped off switch as part of the attachable part.

If you could then easily and straightforwardly remove the heater/sensor/thing AT TEMP without having to then move the Slug to the vise, and could THEN begin the press, the whole thing becomes much more practical.

Currently, it seems use of an e-nail is a commitment, you’re making the adjustments to your processes to include it. I rarely get to bring out my dab rig, I certainly don’t have anywhere I can set it up as usable and leave it there. For me, the extra complication of involving wiring in my dabs takes it off the table.

Things can change, I don’t scoff, I learn a lot, things will change again. The Wheel goes ‘round.... @710Coils, I’m going to tag you again to keep your creative mind up to date.

@BornAgainSteama, @Gonzo_Dabs, @Ramahs, thanks for keeping it frosty, brothers, we’re all climbing the same tree

steama

I can list plenty of advantages to having an induction-heated Slug, just like I can think of plenty of advantages to having an e-nail. Wizard shit, I agree, but I can also list plenty of disadvantages for each, in terms of maintaining the original device in its original context.

I’m an engineer by training, though not by schooling, but the entire point of how the slugs works depends on a consistent solid mass surrounding the herb, and modifications to that, to incorporate any kind of heater, would result in a significantly different device. The run-through of an external coil requires a built-in thermometer, if not an actual thermocouple(?)/temp-tripped off switch as part of the attachable part.

If you could then easily and straightforwardly remove the heater/sensor/thing AT TEMP without having to then move the Slug to the vise, and could THEN begin the press, the whole thing becomes much more practical.

Currently, it seems use of an e-nail is a commitment, you’re making the adjustments to your processes to include it. I rarely get to bring out my dab rig, I certainly don’t have anywhere I can set it up as usable and leave it there. For me, the extra complication of involving wiring in my dabs takes it off the table.

Things can change, I don’t scoff, I learn a lot, things will change again. The Wheel goes ‘round.... @710Coils, I’m going to tag you again to keep your creative mind up to date.

@BornAgainSteama, @Gonzo_Dabs, @Ramahs, thanks for keeping it frosty, brothers, we’re all climbing the same tree
the more rosin stuck on the tree the easier it is to hang on

raccoon-slips-from-branch-004.jpg

Ramahs

I got ya. It's not like I was planning on fucking with coils or anything anytime soon. Just sounded like an idea worth thinking about.

Ramahs

What's up everyone, I'm new to this community and I just ordered my Deuce and damn I can't wait to start the art of pressing! Got the whole set up ready, just waiting for the final piece!

Welcome! I just got my kit two days ago, so I'm right here learning with you.
I look forward to seeing the gold oozing from both our forges in the near future!

What kind of vise do you have?

VmosDef

Welcome! I just got my kit two days ago, so I'm right here learning with you.
I look forward to seeing the gold oozing from both our forges in the near future!

What kind of vise do you have?

Thanks! :) I actually got the Dayton vise, the same one on Natty's site. Also using a Blazer Big Shot GT8000 as my torch. So far from Natty's videos, it seems like i should heat up the Deuce for 2 mins.

Anyone have experience with the heat time with my set-up? Much appreciated.

@Ramahs what is your set up?

Cant wait to start producing!

Welcome! Plenty to read in this thread so far, plenty videos to study, grab a couch!

Thanks a lot, eyes dry from reading this thread :ko:

From what I have gathered, for my first time I will make more of an emphasis on longer a heat time with my Blazer GT8000 and Dayton Vise. Hope it works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramahs

VmosDef

This is the pic of my kit that I posted a couple days ago: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/slug-33-rosin-forge.25519/page-38#post-1307814

Basically the same vise, without as good of paint/sealant as the Dayton

Man I can hardly tell the difference between the two vises. Wicked set-up you got there, and amazing photos of the forges and progress!

What is your optimal heating time for your torch?

Is there a difference from pressing vertical or horizontal? Anyone try doing it on like a 75 degree tilt?

Ramahs

I have not pressed since that night (things are a bit "dry" in my neck of the woods, so I need to be conserve-mode). I've been sandwiching balls of that dark shit I made in those pics you mention between flower in my Woodscents log from @Ed's TnT for my evening vape and it's going a long way. I've still got a little left, so I haven't squished any more yet.

Heating time? Still working that out. In those first three presses I went between 1:25 and over 2:00, but the slug wasn't necessarily cooled off each time, and I just need to press more before I have much of a strong preference.

Like I said...I'm as new as you. Those pics were the only three squishes I've attempted so far. I suspect I'll be pressing a gram from a Headband strain in the next couple of nights though.

I haven't tried pressing vertically.

Gonzo_Dabs

Personally I do not want to see this thread devolve into how to modify your slug33 thread. I am more concerned with the best techniques how to use it. Especially helping noobs.

Yeah this I can wholeheartedly agree with. I have barely scratched the surface of this thing so I'm excited to continue using it for many years. My deuce is just waiting for me to break it in. After work today I will be doing several presses. I will aim for a gram.

Welcome Vmos!! Good to have you. In regards to pressing vertically it's not ideal. The point of horizontal pressing is to let the rosin drip down to collect as much as possible. If gravity wasn't pulling it down it would just pool around the slug and maybe even get sucked back in a little when you release the vice. Now at an angle like 75 degrees there would still be a drip. I don't particularly see a benefit though. But I started horizontally so that's what I'm used to :shrug:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Sofar i see the idea of electric slug tossed out several times. As mentioned few times 710coils has 30mm so someone please try it.., https://710coils.com/collections/everything-1/products/30mm-barrel
Everytime i suggested this i get replies on how torch use is more convenient and bla bla bla... Ok... but it is nowhere near as precise as e-nail coil + you have to wait to cool off between loads,how is that convenient ? Also i suggested the idea of using a metal backplate to squish upon (can be found ,so probably one can avoid nano silicon bits in his rosin. Someone did bite on the idea but never reported back if it any good ,probably the plate flew off and stab him in his sleep artery on his neck,lol.... :D
Just fuckin try these things people, this tread is like 40 pages already. Also there is larger model electric press comming from NBD ,so why isnt the idea of electrifying the small one not tempting to more people. The coil will also act as a handle for the slug,so it will only further complement the ease of operation :).
Maybe a coil with more wraps/height can be even better than this barrel coil from the link.

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

Welcome, AV!

The part you’re likely missing is the extra dance ‘n’ prance required to accommodate the slug, the heater, and the vice. No one’s stopping anyone from wrapping a coil around their slug. Except for Steama and NBD, the rest of us are still searching for repeatable results as beginners, so may be reluctant to interrupt their learning curve in favor of a different learning curve....

For myself, my 3.5g Slug is far too big for even a 30mm coil, but even so, learning to work around the hot slug and the vise would IMO be made a great deal more annoying via complication if I were to make induction heating a part of my presses. Perhaps there will BE a coil that fits my particulars (enumerated over the last 24 hours here) by the time I feel I have enough comfort with my process to *change* my process, but that’s speculation for another day.

I heartily encourage you to do this, since you’re strongly motivated. Buy a slug, an enail, a vise, and see how it goes. I will read your reports with great interest.

Also, I bought a custom-made pressing plate from NBD when I bought my Slug. I would not press without it. He even mentions the need for a solid pressing surface and recommends a plate of some kind in his earlier vids. Another example of sound thoughts occurring to more than one person.

Gonzo_Dabs

Okay well I highly doubt you are the one who originally suggested a backing plate. It's been on sale at Nattys for a while. And it has been discussed as being necessary for bigger slugs or smaller vices for far longer than that so that's nothing new. Grinders, coins, all kinds of stuff has been used. They have and are being used with no stabbing or flying into necks also.

I don't have to wait to cool off between loads. I dip it in water after I wipe off any large pieces of material. I've stated before that I can press 2 grams through the one grams slug in less than 10 minutes.

This thread is 40 pages for a reason and it's not because we are trying to find out how to attach a coil. I don't know why you say it like that.

Nothing you've said hasn't been heard by many of us many times already. We are doing just fine with our torches. Once I have a bag big enough to invest I'm the parts needed to build a fully electric press for larger amounts I will. But for now my portable, off grid, able to be dropped from 30 stories and then used instantly after, unplugged little slug will work just fine.

And electricity doesn't scare any of us. We bought this product after researching it. We didnt buy it cause it's shiny. We bought this for the express reason that it does not need electricity. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for temp control and precision. But I'm using 1 gram at a time. I'm past the learning curve and I can have rosin on demand in like 5 minutes. From 1 gram. I don't need micron bags or electricity or even a workspace. I don't need to be anywhere specific. I have a green pelican case that fits everything.

Like Lou said as well. The slug is analogue and requires practice. Alot of us have enjoyed that process and now that it's over there is a sense of pride in finding a way that works for you. We have our techniques and a coil would set us back to square 1.

Try reading more of the thread first. We've come a long way and have discussed many things. I haven't even been here long either.

Abysmal Vapor

@ClearBlueLou Thx for your suggestion,but i am located in Bulgaria,having in mind shipping costs/taxes ,etc and that i have a limited budget like most people in my country ,so i cannot devote a couple of hundreds just for experimentation.
People are already using 710coil's 30mm bangers with coils. So i guess some of those guys might have a slug at hand to check how it works with the things at hand.
@Gonzo_Dabs I monitor this thread with interesest from the very beggining and have suggested using a metal plate instead of silicone paper sheet and electricity to heat instead of torch in the first pages of these thread,but i get it is something that comes easy to the mind and have never claimed to be the pioneer of that idea. THat is why i was microRanting about it. I dont know if you are getting me right that i am talking about avoiding the use of silicon paper. Some guy seemed to be interested to try it but never reported back.. So please can you direct me to some post even on another forum where someone is pressing directly onto a metal plate ? I am curious how it went. Have you seen FV driptech ? Why not try that with a slug..
Anyway if one proves electric concept to be working and can figure a way to do it without silicon paper I am all in .

Last edited:

Gonzo_Dabs

No I didn't get you right at first. But now that I understand you I'm still confused. Why would you want to press onto a metal plate? Cleanup? I don't see the benefit. And also if a backing plate has never been an issue I don't see how the removal of parchment paper from the process would make it fly out and kill someone.

Abysmal Vapor

@Gonzo_Dabs, post: 1308646, member: 39493"
No I didn't get you right. But now that I understand you I'm still confused. Why would you want to press onto a metal plate? Cleanup? I don't see the benefit. And also if a backing plate has never been an issue I don't see how the removal of parchment paper from the process would make it fly out and kill someone.
I was just joking about the flying backplate ,because the guy never reported the results. Please check FV driptech it shares similar idea.
WHen pressure is applied on the silicon paper ,the layer rips and nano particles can end up in your rosin. Collection will be a bitch but if one uses 316L it will not be hard when cooled. I wanna avoid that,call me paranoid if you like.
Btw i dont think slug33 or deuce with a vise are near as dangerous as a 10 tonne shop press :).

Gonzo_Dabs

I just watched the video and I will say. When I end up with a fully electric press set up that will be how I harvest. Although what I've been hearing about silicone leeching into stuff lately has got me worried. I think maybe some kind of pyrex dish would be better. Throw a few freezer packs under it and now we are talking. I haven't looked into the paper tearing and microparticles leeching in but now that you say it it does seem plausible. Although I have been cutting down on my pressure since my technique has improved over time. Do you know of any pressure threshold there may be for these nanoparticles?

But for the slug and vice that we use it would be difficult. It's not 2 plates meeting in the middle for us. There would be no point where rosin could just flow down onto something. The slug moves to one side and presses against it. If we were to go paperless we would get it all over the vice and it's internals. It would just run down one of the plates.

That press setup in the video is something I could really get behind for a full sized setup. It's not too large and looks simple enough to build.

For the moment I'm not needing to squish a whole zip at a time. I'm new to dabs in general so what I get from 1 gram will last me by myself a good while. The slug is in my ballpark. I don't have zips on deck. I'm not in a legal state. A big press is not necessary right now. I know this site is called fuck combustion but actually I'm like 85/15 in favor of combustion at the moment as far as my personal use haha so it's not like I go through concentrates fast at all. My foot is barely wet in this pool haha. Once I start moving over to vaping and dabbing my rosin more often I will be coming to you guys for suggestions on other kit I buy.

Maybe some kind of metal plate/funnel to channel the drips to a silicone mat or glass tray?

Last edited:
Gonzo_Dabs,
Reactions: steama

ClearBlueLou

Sorry, @Abysmal Vapor, I didn’t understand your point, either.
On a slug scale, pressing onto a metal plate would be a difficult cleanup, if you were actually trying to collect all the extract with solvents, it seems to me. As much silica as I breathe in on a dusty day, I can’t say that the possibility of silicone nano particles making it thru fire and water and into my lungs ranks among my top 100 concerns.

I have never thought about a metal plate as a receiver for pressings before, so this is my reactions the idea, not a considered opinion of it.

ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: steama
Top Bottom