Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Gonzo_Dabs

Tomorrow is when my kit is supposed to arrive. Then I have 2 days off after that, so tomorrow is going to be a looooooooonng day at work. But I can't wait to unbox everything. Hell I'm excited just about the vice haha it's a nice one

steama

hey there, question do you see a chance that you might could also use this tool for hash too?
i mean you could put a hash-press-baggy, or a least a part of it, as a screen on the bottom of the slug? so you could and would extract rosin from hashish right?
would be great to know!
Weigh it out and use it like anything else would be my guess with the slug33's. I watched Natty's kief video and followed his lead. I ended up with something I called it green goddess because it had a greenish tint, the goddess part is because she was very potent goo.

:nod:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
My vise landed a couple days ago, and I’m expecting a not at all slimy Slug tomorrow...and then more waiting - and then vacation :rockon: :clap: :love: :wave:

BTW, Amazon is offering the Wen 4.25” adjustable, same price as before. Free next-day shipping, too!

ClearBlueLou

C’est l’arrive!!!

I didn’t spring for the brilliant polish, as nice as that would be: an old goat like myself can spend money faster than he makes it. For the record, the unpolished Slug is well-finished and confidence-inspiring, no sharp edges, the piston is snug in the forge, a nice heft to it...but I peer down the hole and wonder how it could *possibly* hold and eighth.... the leather strap is snug, the closure was a good design choice, I’ve no doubt it will do its job just fine.

I also ordered the pressing plate, and frankly expected it to be much bigger from the pix, but it’s only a millimeter wider that the fat Mac, and looks to be ~12mm thick.

Much thanks to you @Nattybushdoctor, that is truly fast service!

PS: heating on this one is 2:00 *on each side*, with ~200 degrees F as the target, yes?

almost there

I ask because I have an unused can of Zippo, and it has the plastic nozzle you speak of.
As I mentioned before, my torch began spitting back butane after only a few seconds - or one-tenth the time it takes to fill my duo-jet lighter. That seems entirely too short a time to fill the he much larger torch.

I have a brulee torch that does that, it's has nothing to do with adapter size. I went thru the whole circuit of adapter sizes and it did it with every one. The vendor refunded without any questions when I explained the problem so I'm fairly certain it's not fixable but I can be wrong.

ClearBlueLou

I’ll try it with Teflon tape wrapping, if there’s no improvement, I’ll seek a remedy. Thanks for the input!

BTW...I mentioned a good ways back that the pressing would almost certainly not accomplish significant decarb, but I stand corrected: a fresh look at the decarb chart showed me something I’d missed.

87% of decarboxylation occurs in the first 30 minutes @ ~200F.

On reconsideration, I figure the combination of heat and pressure will indeed perform significant decarb, if less than 87%. For medical use, it should provide a good mix of THCA and activated THC right out of the forge. I WILL experiment!!!

There's a polished and an unpolished slug?
Yep. The edges may not be *as* smooth, and it doesn’t gleam like chrome, but I’m good with it.

ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: Squiby

Gonzo_Dabs

Where was the option for an unpolished one? Not that I want one but it's a strange distinction. Why would one want a non polished one?

Gonzo_Dabs,

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
C’est l’arrive!!!

I didn’t spring for the brilliant polish, as nice as that would be: an old goat like myself can spend money faster than he makes it. For the record, the unpolished Slug is well-finished and confidence-inspiring, no sharp edges, the piston is snug in the forge, a nice heft to it...but I peer down the hole and wonder how it could *possibly* hold and eighth.... the leather strap is snug, the closure was a good design choice, I’ve no doubt it will do its job just fine.

I also ordered the pressing plate, and frankly expected it to be much bigger from the pix, but it’s only a millimeter wider that the fat Mac, and looks to be ~12mm thick.

PS: heating on this one is 2:00 *on each side*, with ~200 degrees F as the target, yes?
yes yes, I just used my Fat Mac yesterday for the first time in a month or two and 2 minutes each side worked perfect. As you know, this will vary depending on your flame intensity. Its a good starting point.

Where was the option for an unpolished one? Not that I want one but it's a strange distinction. Why would one want a non polished one?
There is no option for unpolished. If you do not want polished it will be Satin Finish. Still nice, just not shiny. 30.00 bucks for just a polish is EXPENSIVE! Thats why you wouldnt want it polished. After all with a simple bench grinder and some buffing wheels one could polish their own just as nice.
PEACE!

C’est l’arrive!!!

Thank you! Im here for you whenever you need me. PEACE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gonzo_Dabs

There is no option for unpolished. If you do not want polished it will be Satin Finish. Still nice, just not shiny. 30.00 bucks for just a polish is EXPENSIVE! Thats why you wouldnt want it polished. After all with a simple bench grinder and some buffing wheels one could polish their own just as nice.
PEACE!

Okay then why is Lou talking about an unpolished one if there is no option for unpolished? Haha he said he didn't "spring for the polished one" like there's an option and extra charge. Or is he taking about an aftermarket polish job?

Again not that I am worried that mine is unpolished or polished because 1) I can very easily do it myself and 2) I'm sure it doesn't matter. I was just confused a bit haha

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
Maybe I am confused as well. On our website "brilliant Polish" is an extra 30.00 as an option. If one does not select the Polish then they will receive a regular Un Polished Slug.33

ClearBlueLou

yes yes, I just used my Fat Mac yesterday for the first time in a month or two and 2 minutes each side worked perfect. As you know, this will vary depending on your flame intensity. Its a good starting point.
Thanks again, Doc - not for the last time, I’m sure!

Okay then why is Lou talking about an unpolished one if there is no option for unpolished? Haha he said he didn't "spring for the polished one" like there's an option and extra charge. Or is he taking about an aftermarket polish job?
Simple semantics: the Slug basic is 99$. The *option* is a polished slug for 30$ extra.

On the item page (Fat MAC for me) there four option pop-ups: to get the polish, to get the pressing plate, the pressing stand, the seep kit. On the smaller ones, the options are polish and seep kit. If you got the polished one, you must have selected it and paid the thirty bucks.

That’s all...

steama

@steama
Did you powdercoat/paint it yourself?? It looks awesome. I will be doing that once I get it all settled in.

Well my kit is at the post office in my city according to the text updates. Hurrrrrrrrry UUUUUUUPPPPP!!! I can almost taste it.
Thank you for the compliment. The WEN's finish was so ugly and shitty I had to do something. So I went to HomeDepot and got some professional rust-oleum, disassembled, taped, painted the vise base black and the top parts yellow. Ordered some honeybee decals from etsy.com design for a kitchen mixer.

If you care about the finish on your vise check out the vises slug33.com offers.

il_570xN.1589019881_njgt.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/492589251/honeybee-kitchen-mixer-set-vinyl-decal?ref=shop_home_active_8

Lmao! Once I started painting the vise I just went a little crazy.

Gonzo_Dabs

I bought the master kit from Natty so it'll have the vice on his site. I like the finish on them already but I like customizing my stuff. I'm gonna etch the end of the plunger on my slugs. The side the vice pushes against.

Your honey bee motif is pretty fitting actually since you're gonna be squishing out some stoney honey :cool:

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
I bought the master kit from Natty so it'll have the vice on his site. I like the finish on them already but I like customizing my stuff. I'm gonna etch the end of the plunger on my slugs. The side the vice pushes against.

Your honey bee motif is pretty fitting actually since you're gonna be squishing out some stoney honey :cool:
Cant wait to see it.

steama

I have a brulee torch that does that, it's has nothing to do with adapter size. I went thru the whole circuit of adapter sizes and it did it with every one. The vendor refunded without any questions when I explained the problem so I'm fairly certain it's not fixable but I can be wrong.
I have a universal adapter made of soft silicone that completely solved this issue filling the whip-it ion lite. It is a 'future thing' because I can't find anything else like it anywhere. I have many torches and none of them are as icky to fill as the whip-it ion lite because it is so damn leaky with so many brands of tane but no more. No leak whatsoever.

:myday:

ClearBlueLou

Thank you for the compliment. The WEN's finish was so ugly and shitty I had to do something. So I went to HomeDepot and got some professional rust-oleum, disassembled, taped, painted the vise base black and the top parts yellow. Ordered some honeybee decals from etsy.com design for a kitchen mixer.

If you care about the finish on your vise check out the vises slug33.com offers.

il_570xN.1589019881_njgt.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/492589251/honeybee-kitchen-mixer-set-vinyl-decal?ref=shop_home_active_8

Lmao! Once I started painting the vise I just went a little crazy.
You’re putting ideas in my head....

Re: your nozzle adapter - actually, I think I HAD one of those once...used it to run butane thru ground-up herb stuffed into a BIG glass eye dropper (worked great, but less than a gram at a time?)...thought I’d kept it, and may have...I hate moving....

Last edited:
ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: steama

Gonzo_Dabs

I am just experiencing the trouble of filling the torch. I had a can laying around with 5 adapters in the cap and one seems to be working alright. Also it wont turn on at all. The button on the end will not rotate to open or close. Nor will it ignite. It just sprays butane out the front. No click for spark or anything. That's super upsetting because that's what I'm waiting on to start squishing.

And now this thing pretty much caught fire. It looks like the hose isnt in the nozzle all the way. I'm getting mildly upset now. The torch box was opened to I guess hide the slugs in it. And the torch is broken. I cant help but feel the 2 are related.

Last edited:
Gonzo_Dabs,

steama

I am just experiencing the trouble of filling the torch. I had a can laying around with 5 adapters in the cap and one seems to be working alright. Also it wont turn on at all. The button on the end will not rotate to open or close. Nor will it ignite. It just sprays butane out the front. No click for spark or anything. That's super upsetting because that's what I'm waiting on to start squishing.

And now this thing pretty much caught fire. It looks like the hose isnt in the nozzle all the way. I'm getting mildly upset now. The torch box was opened to I guess hide the slugs in it. And the torch is broken. I cant help but feel the 2 are related.
If you happen to overfill the whip-it torch it will flame-out until things level off. This does not mean the torch is broken. I fought with the whip-it ion lite for several days, wasted a ton of tane until I found something that worked.

The whip-it ion lite torch itself is a fine torch, however, finding a way to fill it the way it likes was a pain in the ass. One could always resort to using whip-it brand butane with the whip-it torch...that should work

Still, I am glad I have this torch for my slugs. It uses less tane than blazers and still performs so I am happy to pocket the tane savings the whip-it gives me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClearBlueLou

If you hold the torch in your right hand, and point the flame end to your left, there will be a teardrop-shaped safetyabove your right thumb; press this in and up, holding while your right thumb presses the black knob with the lock / off signs. Your torch should ignite.

Let go of the teardrop, and adjust the flame with the slider on the opposite side from the safety...you can turn the knob to ‘lock’ only while it’s firing.

Unfortunately, using whip-it brand butane isn’t entirely a solution.

ClearBlueLou,
Top Bottom