1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by lazylathe, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Nattybushdoctor

Nattybushdoctor Well-Known Member Manufacturer

thats the one! looks very nice.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  2. ClearBlueLou

ClearBlueLou unbearably light in the being....

Thanks! This thread has changed me from a doubter of pressing to a believer - ima get on this....

Roth, Nattybushdoctor and -dab8- like this.
  3. Roth

Roth Well-Known Member

What are people doing for a cleaning procedure between pressings?

Just wiping with a paper towel while still warm? Or wiping down with ISO?

I've been using ISO, but didn't know if I could get away with just a simple paper towel wipe. Didn't want to introduce anymore variables while I'm still perfecting my technique.

I'm definitely seeing improvement, got 15% returns on the last press I did. Pretty sure I used too much heat though, the rosin was very dark and I could smell a decent amount of terpenes being cooked off as I pressed.

I'm going to try loading more around 0.95g and see how that works out for me. That way I can reduce the heat and still hopefully not get any blowout. I feel like I might be using just a hair too much material.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  4. ClearBlueLou

Just on principle I’d say no on the paper towel...not even pine tar is as sticky and transferable as this stuff...maybe spraying it w/ iso first, then paper towel?

But I am only an egg....

Since I’m here, I’ve seen several who say they smoke/vape the puck, I’m curious: do you smoke it out of a sense of completeness, or is it worth having in the rotation? I’m a waste-not kinda guy, but if it comes out bunk, that’s worth knowing

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. -dab8-

-dab8- Dabsessive

I just run a paper towel through while the whole thing is so hot you can barely hold it. Will come right off.

I haven’t smoked a puck yet. Was waiting on my dynavap, and since I got it have been enjoying it with fresh flower. I’ll grind one up and give it a shot. Have several from early on that are for sure full of good stuff still.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  6. scion34

scion34 Well-Known Member

Ive been saving the pucks to vape, there’s a bit of actives left over. After grinding them up it resembles Mexican Swhag (brick weed) in texture and potency, IMO. Good for a couple (2) okayish hits in the FlowerPot, lacks most of the original flavor. I think it’s up to the individual to decide to save it or not, unlike most I throw my AVB out into the compost. I’d think pucks would make better edibles than AVB as well, however I’ve yet to try it.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  7. ClearBlueLou

That sweet bag of your turns out hard to find...like it!

I’m impressed that the paper works. Well done!
    I love my VCs, too, want to feed them goo....

Yeah, I remember...sprayed with co’cola and pressed tight. That was some stank shit and not in a good way!

I like your edibles idea! I’m also contemplating a Nova decarber, and I think the pucks just might be perfect for it....

BTW, that WEN vise is 4.25”, not 4.5”... does that matter?

Thanks, y’all, I’ve got a new fun set of toys to play around with in my head now!
    Gonna go watch some vids...:wave:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    -dab8- likes this.
  8. Hackerman

Hackerman The Fool

Just FYI, the pucks make incredible edibles. Must be something about the heat that gets administered during pressing but when I make butter from my chips, it's always the best butter.

-dab8-, Hogni and ClearBlueLou like this.
  9. Doktor Dub

Doktor Dub Well-Known Member

Don t waste! Try cleaning it with a little bud, use a chopstick or a dabber to stuff it through the Slug, then wipe the middle part with it.
    If you have smoking friends, use a rolling paper to wipe the middle part and gift it - works GREAT.

Poor mans Moon rock and medicated Papers...

Just my :2c:, but i strongly encourage everybody to try it out :wave:

10. slozukimc

slozukimc Well-Known Member

I couldn’t resist. Just bought a Deuce on eBay and have ordered the seep kit. Next is the vise. Found it for 57 bucks at Walmart for the 4.25” Wen. Any better deals out there?

Thanks!

11. ClearBlueLou

Hoe depot and amazon both have it $4 cheaper, if you care...sucky choice of sucky companies

12. slozukimc

Thank you. Agreed. All crappy companies but the price......If the paint comes off I will have a reason to get out my powder coating kit and learn how to use that.
    Probably stick with Walmart as I can just pick it up when I go shopping for other stuff.

-dab8- likes this.
  13. ClearBlueLou

I saw a lame-o ad/vid review for a press called a Rosineer, supposedly from Walmart. That was just...ridiculous

Anybody see that thing on YT?

14. -dab8-

-dab8- Dabsessive

Yeah, supposedly not terrible, but as I’m sure you’ve heard a billion times by now, not nearly as good as a cheap harbor freight press and some plates.

Or a slug!!!!

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  15. ClearBlueLou

No, I never heard of it before.

The haul the guy was yakkin’ about looked like maybe two good dabs, not even worth weighing. From a machine the size of a mini fridge...I’m sure it was a couple hundred bucks for the thing

-dab8- likes this.
  16. slozukimc

The addiction continues......just grabbed a Wen 4.25 tilting vise on eBay for 50 and change with a couple eBay bucks I forgot I had to use. Should be here next Wednesday. Free shipping too. Beats Walmart. Already have a propane torch and parchment paper so should be good to go.

17. Hackerman

Hackerman The Fool

I would love to grab one of these but I'm just not into torches. Has anyone tried to use this with an induction heater, yet?

18. -dab8-

-dab8- Dabsessive

Natty (creator) said they played around with other heating methods including e-coil, but they just took too long. There is a larger version in the works that will use electronic heat. Not sure if they actually tried induction though.

19. ClearBlueLou

Why not load your slug, then stick it in a 180-degree oven, then press?

Or, just, y’know, GET into torches?

20. -dab8-

-dab8- Dabsessive

Wouldn’t you have to basically pre-heat the slug? Otherwise you have to wait 15-20 minutes while the whole thing slowly comes up to temp.

And then you get to try to load a gram of flower into an 180° slug.

Nattybushdoctor likes this.
  21. slozukimc

I have been thinking just that. Using two slugs in rotation with a small toaster oven seems like it would provide an even temp every press.

22. Hackerman

Hackerman The Fool

Yeah, I agree the oven may be too slow. And, probably a nail coil too. I don't own a coil so I can't say how fast or how hot they get.

Induction would be screaming fast. Probably faster than a torch (depending, of course on the torch). Not sure if you can control the temperature of a t-coil by controlling the amperage or not. If so, that might be interesting.

Just tossing some things into the box from outside. :)

EDIT: I have been thinking just that. Using two slugs in rotation with a small toaster oven seems like it would provide an even temp every press.

Now, THAT'S not a bad idea. Still, loading a hot Slug may have it's own challenge. LOL Rotation is definitely a cool idea.

-dab8- and slozukimc like this.
  23. slozukimc

I am looking for some sort of snug fitting gloves. Maybe a nice pair of deerskin work gloves with latex gloves over top?

I am also picturing a Slug Rack. A heated stand that will hold the slug still while you load it.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  24. slozukimc

As far as the oven being too slow. Is it just too slow for convenience? I would think that once the slug is loaded and ready to press that the amount of time it takes to get to temp would be irrelevant. Seems like waiting for the material to have time to equalize temp with the slug would make for a better press.

Kinda like the slow heat of the candle @Nattybushdoctor used but with perfect control every time.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  25. -dab8-

-dab8- Dabsessive

You could just load it on any silicon mat.

Nattybushdoctor likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors