steiner666

Serial vapist
ash37 said:
hey im kind of a noob to vaporizer but i want to get an ssv for my first, i was just wondering witch joint type is the best to get? standard glass, ground glass or spherical ground glass? sorry if this is a dumb question, i just want the one that hits the best or does it even matter witch one you get?
I'd say go with standard. The ground glass connection has some major drawbacks IMO. Mainly that you can't "tumble" the bowl as you hit it, to try to evenly vape the bowl. The opening is also bigger which some say means you get more air and less vape, and its easier for the bowls contents to maybe accidentally get blown up into the heatcover with the wider opening. Also, my experience with the GG connector of my DBV leads me to think that a GG of the downward-angled SSV won't hold very reliably, so it wont function well for the intended "hands-free" usage - if you wand true hands free get a standard wand with the metal hands-free plate.

The spherical connector i've had no experience with, so i can't say for sure. Its supposed to allow you to still move the bowl around as you hit to aim the stream of hot air at different spots, but I can't really see it being much better than the standard. Also, some ppl say that there is a risk with ground glass giving off glass powder after so long, not sure if this is true, but just another reason to go with the standard wand IMO.

steiner666,
DevoTheStrange said:
finally bought a SSV... and must say, I have tried this thing before now, but never really had time to get used to it. I didn't use it right the first time I encountered it, and after having it a day to myself, all i can say is, WOW.... i am blown away by the taste and size of the hits... frikking amazing.
I know what you're talking about man. It was about my third session with it before I realized its powers. I was blown away, much like you are saying. I love it when I am vaping with it in a group, and someone finally learns how to properly hit it, and how their reaction is always to cough like a mother fucker and then look at me like :ko: !! That is usually when they understand my obsession, and promotion, of vaporization.

SkeletonLips,

upriver

combustion-free
So 2 weeks later, I still don't have my SSV. I am still confident its a fine item, when it works, but I can't say good things about their customer service nor speed of repair. It would make more sense for them to just send out a new one, but as it is, I have to wait for mine to be repaired even though it was only used for less than one day. $300 is probably nothing for a lot of the customers who buy these as toys, but as a med user on a budget, I cannot say I am at all happy. Hopefully my experience is very atypical, but I would not recommend ordering one of these to anyone I know unless they have time and money to burn.

upriver,

lwien

upriver said:
Hopefully my experience is very atypical..........
Unfortunately not. Lots of bad reports pertaining to their customer service. This has been going on for a long time too. They make such a good product, but they just can't seem to get their communication and logistics in order.

lwien,

steiner666

Serial vapist
upriver said:
So 2 weeks later, I still don't have my SSV. I am still confident its a fine item, when it works, but I can't say good things about their customer service nor speed of repair. It would make more sense for them to just send out a new one, but as it is, I have to wait for mine to be repaired even though it was only used for less than one day. $300 is probably nothing for a lot of the customers who buy these as toys, but as a med user on a budget, I cannot say I am at all happy. Hopefully my experience is very atypical, but I would not recommend ordering one of these to anyone I know unless they have time and money to burn.
Man, i'd be pissed too. The 5 day wait (because of holiday) for mine to get here is painful enough since i lready sold my DBV so i'm without a whip vape, but still have my portable at least, can't imagine what it would be like to have to wait that long without a vape.

Out of curiosity, where did you order yours from? 7th floor directly or a reseller? If it was through a reseller, maybe they would have just let you return it for a new one? I think some of the resellers are good like that.

steiner666,

upriver

combustion-free
I ordered through 7th floor (silversurfer website) directly, under the mistaken assumption I would get better service than through a middleman. Max is right a couple pages back, its better to call them - they don't reply to email very well. At first they wanted me to pay shipping both ways, which I found really unfair and so I met them in the middle. Decent companies will cover it both ways since its their problem, and I think an exceptional company would just send a brand new unit ASAP while they do the repair and then sell it as a refurb at a discount (win for everyone).

I'm hoping that 7th Floor takes their own hype seriously; that this is a real medical device which can bring great relief to many people. As the movement grows, they have a chance to be at the forefront of conscious vaporizing happening on a massive scale. They need to clean up their website (hire a real copy editor for one thing - their site is terribly written) and take a course in customer service.

I am heartened to hear that you guys all like your SSVs though... hopefully I won't regret the purchase once I actually have it!

upriver,

ekulaj

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (well at least I don't remember reading it), but make sure people that use your vape either dump out or notify you if weed goes into the heating element. I guess someone exhaled some weed into the glass of the heating element when I wasn't looking, and later a flake flew from the bottom of the element into the bowl, catching fire on the way. It ruined the weed, the oil that was building up inside of the wand, and my tube :mad:

That said, anyone know a good site (or common brick & mortar shop) that sells medical grade tubing for cheap? The size is 3/8" on the inside, and thats all that matters, right?

ekulaj,

steiner666

Serial vapist
ekulaj said:
...I guess someone exhaled some weed into the glass of the heating element when I wasn't looking, and later a flake flew from the bottom of the element into the bowl, catching fire on the way. It ruined the weed, the oil that was building up inside of the wand, and my tube :mad:
Ah man, that always sucks. It's amazing how even the slightest bit of combustion can totally taint the flavor of the whip and wandhash within. I never let noobs (or anyone for that matter) touch my vapes w/o supervision, :lol:. The wand/heatcover/mouthpiece are easy enough to clean the smell/taste out of by boiling, and I've actually had pretty good luck cleaning out hosing by plugging one end and filling 1/3 or so full of iso and then plug the other end and shake it around a lot for about half a minute and then dump it out. Then i put a funnel in the one end of the whip and pour scalding hot water through it. Worked much better than i thought it would.

steiner666,

upriver

combustion-free
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse... my SSV did come back today (well, I don't think its mine since the knob is now a different color) but they did not include some items that were missing in the 1st order (spare whip and pick) and they also did not include the "spacers" for the heater cover. The heating element is totally loose (flopping around) and the little collar that hold it in place was mixed in the bottom of the packing peanuts. Guess I'll call them in the morning, since they shut down at 5pm MT.

Sigh...

upriver,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
well... almost have had my SSV for almost a week....
my impressions are still pretty much the same... thing blows me away.
I still manage to use the same amount of herb that I would normally use in a session which is a plus. So far my use has pretty much stayed the same.
I enjoy the versatility of having variable temps.... grown accustomed to fixed temp vapes. It is nice to grab them higher temp cannabinoids if I so choose.
The size of the hits still amazes me. I've had other whip vapes before... So this is the first time I've actually got to sit down with something that power hits so well.
So far the SSV has made its way into daily use and will more than likely remain there.
Best buy this year so far....

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
I still manage to use the same amount of herb that I would normally use in a session which is a plus. So far my use has pretty much stayed the same.
As compared to other vapes?

lwien,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Well, my glossy black-rainbow "rainbows end" SSV showed up today from vapeworld.com. Everything was packaged in the case (MUCH better than the DBVs case) and inside of a really sturdy type of box, with heavy over-lapping flaps, i think everyone should ship vapes/glass in these sort of boxes.

But enough about the box. Along with the usual SSV case contents (owners manual+ spare screens, 2 SSV stickers, wand, tubing, and mouthpiece) VW also threw in a pretty nice 2" 3 piece grinder. I find that, unlike my now-retired, convenience store bought 3-piece grinder, this one gets the pieces to reasonably small chunks before allowing them to pass to the collection area, great size to start vaping in the SSV, but i'll definitely be sticking with my 2-piece to get the finer grind for my LB, as well as to help break up the SSV bowls after a dozen or so hits. The grinder came in its own little felt bag, which i thought was pretty cool.

100_2700.jpg

Other than the shininess and beauty of the vape itself, the first thing that caught my eye was the wand. It seems proportioned differently than SSV wands i've seen in the past. The bowl is deeper and takes up more of the overall wand length, making the part between the screen and the tubing hole shorter. It also feels like it has a bit more girth. I'm not sure if this is a big bowl type of wand and the ppl at VW included it because it was the only type of bowl they had for standard heatcovers, since their default is the ground glass stuff, or if this is just the new standard.

The only thing i've found that i dont really like about the wand is the opening where the hose goes in. On other/older SSVs and DBVs, the bottom of the wand flares out (kinda like the tip of the bowl but not as much) and wetting the hose and sliding it in the hole took a bit more effort, but sealed up and held very well as it was tight along the whole inserted length. This wands opening tapers in and is narrower than the rest of the wand however, and when you insert the hose it is tight around this lip on the very end, but not as snug anywhere else. I'm not sure what caused them to change this design, but i wish they wouldnt have. Maybe having the hose easier to pull out is a good thing to some, but i like to have it stuck in there tight so i never had to worry about it. Still, after shoving the hose up the wand a bit further than i would have liked ( i like as much glass exposed in the wand to help collect wandhash) it seems to be pretty firmly in place.

100_2692.jpg

Compared to my previous daily-drivers standard wand (dbv), this one feels heavier and of better quality. Because of the depth of the bowl, you can load a much larger load into it than the dbv's , if you are so inclined. However, it's about the same width (maybe seems a slight bit narrower), so it's still just as efficient with smaller loads.

100_2691.jpg

After a few uses with it, the main difference I appreciate between it and its cheaper brother are about what i expected (i'm gonna bullet this cause i'm still very baked and need help organizing my thoughts :brow:):

- The downward angle and smaller opening of the heater cover, the depth of the bowl, and gravity work together to make the vape session more care-free, as you don't have to really worry about bits falling on your heating element if things get tipped, bumped, or blown slightly.

- The absence of ground-glass makes it much easier to use, as you dont have to worry about the bowl either getting stuck or being so loose that is slips out at the slightest tug. I like to twist the bowl while hitting and stir between hits to vape loads as evenly as possible, GG was nothing but an obstacle for me. It was also a visual obstacle, as the frosted look of the GG on the dbvs bowl didnt allow me to clearly see the contents of the bowl as i was hitting it, from the side.

100_2696.jpg

The hosing in the above image is old hosing, not the new stuff that came with it. I had planned on using old stuff at first in case i fuck up and turn the knob too high while i'm finding the best setting for it. I decided i was definitely going to use old hose once i saw how tightly coiled and kinked the included hose was. Does anyone what the best way to get this type of hose to straighten out is?

Anyways, the hits from this thing are great and tasty, as i expected. I haven't familiarized myself with its temp range quite enough to vape loads as fully as i could with my dbv, so it's been very pleasant lower-temp hits so far that are still very consistent and powerful. I'm sure that by the end of the day i'll be a pro and will producing the darker brown abv.

In the end, I am 100% pleased with my decision to upgrade to a SSV, it was like trading in a ford for a porsche. The ford got me there alright, but the porsche is just so much more fun to drive.

And now for some more pics:

100_2689.jpg

100_2703.jpg

100_2710.jpg

steiner666,

steiner666

Serial vapist
tokenitup said:
that's a pretty badass SSV my man, are you running it through any water yet?
Thanks man, and nah, no vape-bonging with this one yet (didnt have enough time b4 work :brow:). I'll be busting that out soon though, probably tonight. I plan on getting a newer piece this month, once i have that it will be the perfect setup for sure. :D

steiner666,

baurman

I sold my DBV for an SSV as well, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow from UPS. I didn't like the GG in the DBV, had a lot of issues of the wand getting stuck as well. I like the downward angle the SSV has as opposed to it just being straight. Oh also the more vapor:air ratio. I'm just excited for my SSV already!

baurman,

steiner666

Serial vapist
baurman said:
I sold my DBV for an SSV as well, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow from UPS. I didn't like the GG in the DBV, had a lot of issues of the wand getting stuck as well. I like the downward angle the SSV has as opposed to it just being straight. Oh also the more vapor:air ratio. I'm just excited for my SSV already!
I know how you feel for sure! I was excited all weekend for this thing to show up. If only we had appreciated the dbv-ssv difference b4 eh?

lwien said:
Bee-a-u-tiful SSV ya got there, steiner. Very nice.
Thanks! It really does look nice, especially in the sunlight. The pics with the flash didnt do it justice because its just too sparkly. In some mild sunlight like the other pics its glossy black with just the right hint of the color visible below.

I have managed to find ONE thing I don't like about this compared to my black powder-coated dbv - it gets smudges. I'm pretty obsessive about keeping glossy surfaces smudge/fingerprint free. I've actually sold a netbook a couple months after i got it just because of how bad the glossy finish bothered me and how much time i spent wiping it down. Im sure it won't be a big deal at all after today because i usually wont be man-handling it around the house taking pictures of it, and moving it around by only touching the base works fine.

steiner666,

upriver

combustion-free
I am so envious of all of you who actually have a working SSV! I will try to stop my complaining. They said they will send out the missing parts today. Eagerly awaiting to join you all...

upriver,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
DevoTheStrange said:
An average PD session for me is three tubes.... I noticed the average amount of herb I use when using the SSV by myself is the same amount that would go into three tubes. I've even checked this several times.
I am sure you could use less in the SSV, but how I fill it is about the same as one of my sessions on the PD. I don't just do one tube... doesn't get me where I want to get.

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
lwien said:
DevoTheStrange said:
An average PD session for me is three tubes.... I noticed the average amount of herb I use when using the SSV by myself is the same amount that would go into three tubes. I've even checked this several times.
I am sure you could use less in the SSV, but how I fill it is about the same as one of my sessions on the PD. I don't just do one tube... doesn't get me where I want to get.
Ah........ok, thanks.

lwien,

baurman

DevoTheStrange said:
lwien said:
DevoTheStrange said:
That's good information to know Devo. Everyone is different and I always wondered how many tubes from a PD it would take for me to get where I want to be because I have a high tolerance. Some people could load only 0.025g and feel buzz from that, but in order to get blown off your ass, do you usually need 0.075g? Also putting 0.075g (~3 tubes from the PD) in the SSV is still good enough to get a good air:vapor ratio with that? or do you usually put a bit more?

baurman,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
steiner666 said:
The hosing in the above image is old hosing, not the new stuff that came with it. I had planned on using old stuff at first in case i fuck up and turn the knob too high while i'm finding the best setting for it. I decided i was definitely going to use old hose once i saw how tightly coiled and kinked the included hose was. Does anyone what the best way to get this type of hose to straighten out is?

Anyways, the hits from this thing are great and tasty, as i expected. I haven't familiarized myself with its temp range quite enough to vape loads as fully as i could with my dbv, so it's been very pleasant lower-temp hits so far that are still very consistent and powerful. I'm sure that by the end of the day i'll be a pro and will producing the darker brown abv.
Mate that is absolutely bloody gorgeous looking! I've got the exact same colour on the way to me, hopefully arriving tomorrow (although tolerance break means I can't use it till 4/20, very annoying) so can't wait now having seen how lovely it is.

As it'll be my first vape, I too would be very interested to know if there is a good way to un-kink the hose as I don't have any other available. If not, does it make a big difference until the hose works itself out?

Also, and I know it's a personal learning curve for each person having read all the pages here, but please post up your temp-range tips as you discover them as every little bit of info helps!

wilf789,

steiner666

Serial vapist
wilf789 said:
Mate that is absolutely bloody gorgeous looking! I've got the exact same colour on the way to me, hopefully arriving tomorrow (although tolerance break means I can't use it till 4/20, very annoying) so can't wait now having seen how lovely it is.

As it'll be my first vape, I too would be very interested to know if there is a good way to un-kink the hose as I don't have any other available. If not, does it make a big difference until the hose works itself out?

Also, and I know it's a personal learning curve for each person having read all the pages here, but please post up your temp-range tips as you discover them as every little bit of info helps!
Well the hose is still usable, it just wants to coil up and when you go to use it, it will extend like a spring being stretched. Not too big of a bother really, since you're going to be in arms length of it anyway.

After I cranked it up on high for 10mins like you're supposed to do the first time, i turned it back down to about noon and got some thin hits and then bumped it up to around 1 oclock (so the bump on the knob is pointing just to the right of the SSV logo above it) and got some satisfying tokes. After hitting it for a while the herb was only a green/tan color though, So I imagine I'll probably find myself around 2 o'clock to get the most out of the herb.

This can all vary of course, since the knobs, i believe, are just push-ons that could have been pushed on with the dial at any setting really. However since my dbv, as well as my friends dbv and other ppls ssvs, all seem to vape well in the same noon to 2 range, i'd guess that there is some standard for how they put the knobs on. I'd say start off at high noon and work your way up, dont rush it and keep an eye on the color of your abv and stir it between hits and you'll have the hang of it pretty fast.

steiner666,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
steiner666 said:
Well the hose is still usable, it just wants to coil up and when you go to use it, it will extend like a spring being stretched. Not too big of a bother really, since you're going to be in arms length of it anyway.

After I cranked it up on high for 10mins like you're supposed to do the first time, i turned it back down to about noon and got some thin hits and then bumped it up to around 1 oclock (so the bump on the knob is pointing just to the right of the SSV logo above it) and got some satisfying tokes. After hitting it for a while the herb was only a green/tan color though, So I imagine I'll probably find myself around 2 o'clock to get the most out of the herb.

This can all vary of course, since the knobs, i believe, are just push-ons that could have been pushed on with the dial at any setting really. However since my dbv, as well as my friends dbv and other ppls ssvs, all seem to vape well in the same noon to 2 range, i'd guess that there is some standard for how they put the knobs on. I'd say start off at high noon and work your way up, dont rush it and keep an eye on the color of your abv and stir it between hits and you'll have the hang of it pretty fast.
Ta very much. Coming from a heavy combustion background I reckon I'll be looking to hit the higher temps once I get the hang of it to achieve similar effects.

Also completely empathise with what you were saying about smudges and fingerprints, need to keep it shining! Gonna be hard work keeping my mates' grubby paw-prints off it considering everyone will be wanting a hit of this beaut!

wilf789,
Top Bottom