Shaving and hi-fi

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Could be, but all I can tell is that guy's head sucks. His whole head sucks.

jeffp,

sour

If I ever went that bald (correction WHEN I GET THAT BALD) i'll just shave it, that tuft of hair around his dome does nothing.

sour,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien said:
jeffp said:
In the 70's there were books that recommended putting razor blades inside little pyramids; that magic pyramid power would keep them sharp.

Just look at this dweeb with his pocket pyramid:

http://internationalmagicproductions.com/images/JoePyramidPower copy.jpg
Pyramid Power. People slept under pyramids. People built pyramid houses, along with Bucky Fuller domes. Crazy times.
If I had my wits back then I'd have collected and saved everything so I can open a seventies surplus dump and raked it in...

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
lwien said:
jeffp said:
In the 70's there were books that recommended putting razor blades inside little pyramids; that magic pyramid power would keep them sharp.

Just look at this dweeb with his pocket pyramid:

http://internationalmagicproductions.com/images/JoePyramidPower copy.jpg
Pyramid Power. People slept under pyramids. People built pyramid houses, along with Bucky Fuller domes. Crazy times.
If I had my wits back then I'd have collected and saved everything so I can open a seventies surplus dump and raked it in...
If only. Let's see. If I would have kept my '56 Chevy BelAir, '62 Vette, ex-wifes '57 Porthole T-Bird, and my '65 GTO, and kept them in mint condition like the day I bought them, I'd have a bit more spending money than I do now. But man a 60's-'70's surplus dump would be really neat. Call it the Hippy Shack. ;)

I still managed to keep my album collection though. Over 500 with a lot of English imports. Like the Hendrix Electric LadyLand with all those naked girls on the cover and the Blind Faith import with that topless girl holding a plane. Some of the album cover art back in those days was in a class by themselves.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
That girl's like 14 on the Blind Faith cover. You can't get away with that today....
I kept my records for the most part also. I have like 3,000 lps but I would like to thin it out to about 1,000 - that's a more manageable collection.
CDs are OK but it sort of sounds like what it really is - aluminum.
I like what Neil Young had to say about CDs - something to the effect of, "With CDs, the mind is tricked but the heart is saddened."

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
That girl's like 14 on the Blind Faith cover. You can't get away with that today....
I kept my records for the most part also. I have like 3,000 lps but I would like to thin it out to about 1,000 - that's a more manageable collection.
CDs are OK but it sort of sounds like what it really is - aluminum.
I like what Neil Young had to say about CDs - something to the effect of, "With CDs, the mind is tricked but the heart is saddened."
I always wondered if it was the medium that was the problem, or the way it was recorded using digital recorders and mixing boards versus analog tape and analog boards.

Man, I used to really crank those old JBL L100's.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Great speakers. I still have my Dynaco a25's - great vintage speakers and they are plentiful in the audio market inexpensively.
What kind of stereo setup do you have? I have a Hafler 220/110 power amp/pre amp from the early 80's which I've never felt the need to replace.

What I would like to find is a decent single disc CD player. My Marantz crapped out and I'm playing my CDs through a DVD player which is OK but not a permanent solution.

jeffp,

lwien

Back then, I was driving the JBL L100's with a Crown DC300a amp and an HK Citation Pre-Amp with a Sony TTS-3000a Servo Turntable and Shure SME Tonearm and V15 cart.
Then soon traded in the JBL L100's for stacked Advents.

Now, I have a a couple of large Parasound Multi-Channel Amps, and a Lexicon Pre/Pro driving an M&K SS 150 system along with a few of their subs, used primarily for home theater.

Was in the Consumer Electronics business for over 35 years so I got all this stuff at either dealers cost or manufactures landed cost, otherwise, there's no way in hell I could afford all this stuff.

Been a hobby of mine for a very long time. I remember the first time I saw a Marantz 10b Tuner with that built in scope before it hit the market. Had to be the sexiest piece of electronic gear that I ever saw. Even sexier than all that McIntosh gear with the pretty blue meters. I was like.............:o:o:o (I WANT THAT.) And who was doing the sales pitch on the product? Saul Marantz himself.

lwien,

Purple-Days

I used to go to the URI shop. ;)
Drool on the chunky transformers and laid out tubes. :cool:

ps. the engineer at the local studio insisted on JBL. < that's a period.
;)

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
somehow an iPod just doesn't compare.....

**edit***

good speakers are fine musical instruments onto themselves.

jeffp,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Purple-Days said:
Yep, I use an electric. Dog clipper by Wahl... a good shave, but I want to chase cars afterward. ;)
:lol:

I put down newspaper to keep the bathroom clean and for that authentic ape shaving feel.

wahl.png

Vinyl is where it's at and I don't dare argue with Neil or Pearl Jam, but give me a good FLAC rip any day. I listen to most of my music with foobar2000 and some ancient 4.1 Klipsch promedias or Sennheiser HD280 headphones. When I grow up I'd like to have a ridiculous set up, B&W Nautilus or something like that.

vtac,

Purple-Days

vybj3t.jpg

Serious clipper for a serious hedge. I usually do it over a floor full of sawdust that needs swept up anyway.

A buddy brought a set of Klipsch back from Japan, sweet sounds, but out of my price range.

JBL monitors...
2447a6b.jpg

again outta my price range. Way out ! :cool:

Purple-Days,

bcleez

jeffp said:
somehow an iPod just doesn't compare......
to what? an ipod is seriously the holy grail for music lovers. Not talking speakers or output quality, just the ability to have a thousand albums in your hand & instant gratification.

I use this really cheap ($20) norelco g370. I have also given myself haircuts for the past 10 years. I have had a bunch of clippers, high end low end.... they always seem to die... plus since i keep buying this norelco I have extra everything.

I use one just to trim my dog when she gets dreadlocks in her fur and to keep her face & body nice and short in areas. Plus I can extend the life of her haircut by keeping her trim... now she is a 7lb maltipoo :lol:.. not like these gigantor dogs most people here have!

bcleez,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
agreed that not only can you have one thousand albums in your hand with an iPod but you can automatically put them in order - no question that is convenient.
and in some ways I feel that hooked up to a real stereo, iPods may sound slightly better than CDs at least to my ears.

i do not shave to music - it's not that i wouldn't, it's just that I don't have a sound system set up in my bathroom and shower radios have to be the ultimate ultimate in low fi.

jeffp,

lwien

Hook your iPod up to THIS. (check out the Nautilus on the coffee table)....and his album collection.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
obviously beyond stunning and out of this world, and then when you look at the couple it recalls a bit of advice a friend gave me a long time ago regarding purchasing audio equipment.
he said NEVER buy any equipment at a store from a salesman who looks healthy - they don't know anything, seek out the pale, sickly looking audio salesperson; those are the experts.

jeffp,

lwien

If you have $6,000,000 dollars laying around that you don't know what to do with, you too can have a system like this.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
question mark and the mysterians would some awesome on a setup like that.

jeffp,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
They are awesome anywhere. We have 96 Tears on our juke box.

You know, his home burned down a while back and ? lost everything he owned, which wasn't much. Alot of those old musicians didn't make a whole lot of money and didn't get royalties off their hits. So sad.

Sorry, sort of off topic.

Wow Iwien, sort of sensory overload! I would love to see The Matrix in that setup.

momofthegoons,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I have to agree with the letting razors get wet blunts them experience. If i drop a whole cartridge of brand new razors in the sink, I've always thought I can notice a difference.

Happycamper,

Derf

Been using a straight razor for years. Pre-strop it on leather to smooth the blade, and post-strop on linen to remove soap residue and moisture. Sharpening happens about every 2-3 months on a Belgian Coticule.

To clarify for everyone, rubbing your razors on jeans or whatever does not sharpen them, it will smooth out the edge of the blade and that can contribute to the longevity of the razor. The reason is that if you look at the edge of a razor under a microscope, you will see many little "teeth", like a saw blade. If those teeth are aligned with the edge, they will cleave hair, if they are not aligned with the edge, they can break off. The more teeth that break off, the more quickly the razor dulls. Water does not in and of itself dull your razors - shaving does. Shaving your beard will dull your razor faster than water ever will. But soap scum, calcium and other mineral deposits in hard water and other impurities can accelerate the deterioration of the steel by making it more brittle. So dry your razors as best as you can.

Derf,
Top Bottom