Second Hand Vapor?

BBB

Hello Fuck Cumbustion!

I am a new "patient" in Colorado, and I have been learning a lot the past few days reading your forums. Thanks for being there for me.

I have what may be a stupid question......or maybe this has been discussed somewhere here and I just missed it. There are some in my household who don't partake. Certainly second hand vapor is much less harmful than second hand smoke in any event, but.......are others around me going to feel the effects of my exhaled vapor? Can stray vapor get picked up in my house's HVAC?

I've read that the vapor odor is probably not going to be an issue. I would also never directly exhale at someone.

Any thoughts?

BBB,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I don't think so. My wife has never gotten a contact high from me. I did have someone with me once who doesn't use in a small room as I was vaping and he thought he could feel something. I also read a post once that said he was exhaling into a bag and others were using it and getting high. Vapor seems to dissipate quicker than smoke, so if the room is big enough, I don't think it will matter.

stickstones,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
....short of you boxing a small honda civic with a blunt...I dont think anyone around you could get a contact high.
:2c:

:peace:

yo whattup BBB. colorado local here as well....there are a few other locals posting on FC. GO BRONCOS :lol:

Hennessy1414,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i have wondered extensively on this subject as well, and im still not sure

vapor doesnt immediately dissappear but it dissoves to near invisible then just hangs there

please excuse me if im coming off as terse, words are a little more difficult to grasp atm than usual

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Certainly second hand vapor is much less harmful than second hand smoke
Less harmful than just about any airborne substance I would imagine.

are others around me going to feel the effects of my exhaled vapor?
Unless you're exhaling directly into their lungs, or the vapor is this thick, probably not. An exhaled hit of vapor dissipates much more quickly than smoke even in a tiny room, any residual smell is also quick to fade and very mild. Smells sweet to me and I absolutely abhor second hand smoke

Can stray vapor get picked up in my house's HVAC?
Not too clear on what you're asking here, but sure. So could a fart.

Once you start vaporizing you'll just laugh about this stuff. Vapor is a different world. :)

bsandhu

if it got into your hvac system its gonna be gone just as fast as your normal exhale.

bsandhu,

BBB

Thanks everyone! Waiting patiently for my first vaporizer to arrive.....

BBB,

superconducter

I was concerned that others in my house would be compromised by second hand smoke/vapor as well...or at least not be as appreciative so here is what I do:

1.) if you can afford it, get a HEPA filter and use it in the room where you vap. This will take every last trace of the vapor out of the room and, if you use a carbon pre-filter, any odors as well.

2.) the suggestion to blow into a bag is not half baked. concerns about the law enforcement living directly upstairs prompted me to devise the following (before i had the HEPA filter):

a. take a plastic bag (not one from the supermarket; i.e. 'paper or plastic' kind), like a heavy duty garbage bag, and fill it with a couple of boxes of activated carbon which you can buy at any aquarium/tropical fish storage. this has a huge amount of surface area and can absorb most vap smells/residues.

b. if you are really concerned about controling where your vapors go, you can put a cardboard paper towel tube into the bag, tape the bag around the tube, and then exhale into that.

oh, this sounds odd but kitty litter in the bag also absorbs any smell/vapor so you don't need to worry about contact high for your family, stray vapors w/ that one molecule that could cause a positive drug test, or the cop who lives upstairs.

all sounds a bit paranoid but better safe than sorry.

superconducter,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

Frickr

i dont recall exactly where i heard this at, but i heard that what is called a contact high is just a frame of mind in that person. when your around a bunch of laughing giggly stoners, chances are your going to be in tune with them, and start laughing and giggling also. Nothing to do with the smoke, but the frame of mind that everyone else in your surounding is in. It makes sence to me, since nearly all of the active ingredients are absorbed on inhaltion.

alot can be said about that, if your in a room, chances are your mood is going to fallow the average mood of the group. its the group mentality, its in our nature to be alert to other peoples reactions. for example, someone stands in a crowded sidewalk and looks up, out of 100 people maybe 4 will look up to see what your looking at, those 4 will spark 4 more each and so on. so its highly plausable that what is called a contact high has nothing to do with the substances in the air, but the mentality of the group

umpnum14

.._. _._. :-)
superconducter said:
I was concerned that others in my house would be compromised by second hand smoke/vapor as well...or at least not be as appreciative so here is what I do:

1.) if you can afford it, get a HEPA filter and use it in the room where you vap. This will take every last trace of the vapor out of the room and, if you use a carbon pre-filter, any odors as well.

2.) the suggestion to blow into a bag is not half baked. concerns about the law enforcement living directly upstairs prompted me to devise the following (before i had the HEPA filter):

a. take a plastic bag (not one from the supermarket; i.e. 'paper or plastic' kind), like a heavy duty garbage bag, and fill it with a couple of boxes of activated carbon which you can buy at any aquarium/tropical fish storage. this has a huge amount of surface area and can absorb most vap smells/residues.

b. if you are really concerned about controling where your vapors go, you can put a cardboard paper towel tube into the bag, tape the bag around the tube, and then exhale into that.

oh, this sounds odd but kitty litter in the bag also absorbs any smell/vapor so you don't need to worry about contact high for your family, stray vapors w/ that one molecule that could cause a positive drug test, or the cop who lives upstairs.

all sounds a bit paranoid but better safe than sorry.
Wow law enforcement upstairs? That sucks. I guess I would go to extreme measures too. But my need for stealth and lack of desire of combustion moved to vaping and im glad i did. Personally when i first started I would do things to disguise the smell such as using a 20oz bottle stuffed with feebreeze sheets and exhaling through that. but after a short time I realized that there was no need . The smell is more pronounced from opening up my weed then from using my vape at the right temp. Regarding someone else getting a contact high unless your shotgunning someone I dont think u need to worry about anything imo

umpnum14,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Hey bbb, i am another one of the local coloradans, i agree with pretty much everyone here that none of your questions will be an issue with vapor, what did you buy for your first vaporizer?

Survivalism,
hi all, my :2c: . As Max and others have said if you are breathing out visible vapor it is a "waste" because that vapor is still full of actives. If you breathe out several visible hits in a fairly small space (like my lounge room) you are basically filling a giant cano bag(admittedly with a slightly poorer air to vapor ratio! :lol: ) Several non stoner friends and my father have reportedly been passively and positively affected by vapors after hangin with me while I medicate! Cheap asses! So it seems, in my limited experience that if someone can smell the vapor, and they have no tolerance to the beautiful tree they can be positively affected by second hand vapor. lucky fuckers

thevapedcrusader,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

rukus13

Sorry but I dont buy it unless your blowing massive clouds of vapor. I vape multiple times a day with the wife sitting right next to me. Never has she had a contact and she is also tested regularly for work and never had a problem. So I can conclusively say its just not an issue. Unless you are in a very confined space and vaping wand after wand after wand in an ssv or something. The smell really isnt an issue either and it dissipates fairly quickly. Smells more like brownies than weed to start with so really the only people who would notice are fellow stoners.

g124v17y

I agree with rukus. I have read that there is no such thing as a contact high. Our lungs absorb all of the THC and other cannabanoids within 5-8 SECONDS of being in our lungs. I agree that you should try to hold it in for about 15 seconds before releasing, but even if a cloud does come out after this time, it is completely innate. Look it up people! GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND! :-]

Happy tokin'

max

Out to lunch
Our lungs absorb all of the THC and other cannabanoids within 5-8 SECONDS of being in our lungs.
Although I don't believe there's much to be concerned about with 2nd hand vapor, the quick absorption rate for THC via smoke hasn't been proven with vapor. In fact, one study said 30-40% of vaporized THC is lost with a quick exhale. Vapor and smoke ARE different, so it makes sense to me that the absorption rate could be quite different.

Towelie

In my dorm I set up a chill vaping area under my bed. I put blankets all around my bed and fish bowl underneath with my vape and I think it works pretty good. After a while I begin to see a vapor cloud in front of me and its pretty sick. I was wondering if there was enough vapor around if it could go in though your pores? possible?

Towelie,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Tripping around thru the regular forum for once and I found this thread! Interesting discussion to say the least! Thanks everyone for your contributions, this is something I have been wondering about since I started vaping as well! :clap::peace:

Bluntcrush,

vapirtoo

c'mon Towelie, through your pores? It is difficult enough to get it into our bloodstream through our lungs or intestines. If you are part frog, maybe, but humans no way.
I have the commisioner of police as a neighbour, and since I've been vaping, he has been
really nicer and more friendlier. I think that he feels i have stopped smoking as he hasn't
smelt anything for months. I know that he would hate to bust me,and now it's never in
his face, so it's all cool now.

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
If they are a total non smoker they might get a contact high if you are vaping a lot. I know this 1st hand.

Skeena,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
My partner doe not medicate. I use my vaporizers around him all the time. He has never gotten a contact high from being around it. You would have to hot box the room in order to get someone else stoned. I have been smoking/vaporizing in front of him since we met and he has never gotten a contact high. I also don't hot box the room... never liked that. When I smoked I would breath through a Smoke-Buddy when he was near me just because the odor stunk... it was more respectful. He does not mind the smell of vapor so I don't do that anymore. I don't make any effort to breath into ventilation anything. I don't make a point to blow the vapor in his face.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: eyewhites
Top Bottom