school me on making bubble

Bad Ocelot

Good to know, I got a good deal on it so we shall see. Really would like to further process it into temple balls, but dunno about the work to payout ratio on that, ha.

Bad Ocelot,

herbivore21

I love the pics in this thread :tup:

What are your feelings on commercially available kief? I'd venture a guess that this may be like asking the French about a croissanwich, but thought I'd ask. If there's any (efficient) way to turn it into a 3 or 4+ star melt that would be le tits.

Current plan is to use a cheap press & light heat to make "coins" & just stick that in the vapcap. If there were a press the diameter of a vapcap bowl that would be awesome, but I haven't found one if it exists.
lol at the French analogy! That gave me a good laugh :lol:

To clean commercially available kief up may be possible, but it will not necessarily be easy. One method that is possible is using a static screening method (carding etc, look up D420k's dvd and parchment tek for one well known method). The challenge using these sifting methods to clean up kief is that if the kief has been very finely ground and there are contaminant fibres that have been pushed through sifting screens already, then you're not going to be able to full clean up that resin (sifting only works when the inactive plant material is not broken up into fine debris).

In the event that you have kief that is too finely ground, you can try enlisting water. Resin glands sink in water, but plant material contaminant typically floats. You want your water very cold, as warmer water may leech some terps/terp precursors from the glands.

As Farid says, you should make sure to grate or chop up your hash with scissors to load into the vapcap. If you pack a super dense, tight puck, you will get major draw restriction and the vaporization may not be as even.

Commercially available kief can be great or awful. It depends on the source. In general I'd expect it to contain lots of plant matter, broken heads, and contaminate compared to anything you'd make yourself. I bought kief from the local dispensary in Boston, and it was beyond horrid. I don't even know if I want to cook with it.

For kief in the VC I'd recommend shaving pieces vs sticking a cylinder right in there. Pieces would allow more airflow and better extraction.
This is very important info to remember. Often, commercial kief is not far off being finely ground plant material. It can be beyond terrible quality as an extract and in some cases, may be worse than flower! The key is to know how to discern the quality of kief. A digital microscope, macro camera or even a relatively inexpensive jewellers glass or loupe can help here.

Have had some very tasty hits with Commercial grade kief (Trim Bin) in the Vapcap.
Kief can definitely taste good in the vapcap, I do not make kief at all, but I have had it in the vc in the past with success, just like with flower. slightly meltier bubble (2-3 star) is much more enjoyable IME though.

Good to know, I got a good deal on it so we shall see. Really would like to further process it into temple balls, but dunno about the work to payout ratio on that, ha.
It may be a lot of work to achieve these results. The best temple balls are going to come from flower runs, since the lion's share of capitate stalked trichomes (which are reported to contain 8x more resin content than sessile trichomes found on the distal leaves) are found on the proximal bracts and inside of the calyxes of the cannabis plant. Trim runs can yield nothing but resin glands, but the glands are going to contain less resin overall, since many of these glands are not the highest resin containing ones. Kief is a mixed bag, but due to very fine contaminants, can be impossible to clean up much depending on the quality of kief and the clean up method.

Bad Ocelot

Did a little reading on the company website & looks like my kief was dry ice sifted, so I presume from trim (~25% total actives). May do a little testing with one of the static separation methods mentioned, will report back if it's effective.

Pressed into coins quite easily though, and stays together which is good considering I don't want a bunch of particles coming down the condenser tube of the vapcap. (got the new M the other day, I like it quite a bit :tup:). I typically squish my hash into flat discs for use in the vc so as to maximize surface area without leaving debris everywhere.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

herbivore21

Did a little reading on the company website & looks like my kief was dry ice sifted, so I presume from trim (~25% total actives). May do a little testing with one of the static separation methods mentioned, will report back if it's effective.
This will be the best bet to try first :)

Pressed into coins quite easily though, and stays together which is good considering I don't want a bunch of particles coming down the condenser tube of the vapcap. (got the new M the other day, I like it quite a bit :tup:). I typically squish my hash into flat discs for use in the vc so as to maximize surface area without leaving debris everywhere.
Particles are a relevant concern in the vapcap so I can appreciate why you would do that (man those M's are fantastic aren't they, got one myself and am loving it!). I recommend using a small piece of hemp fibre as a filter in the mouthpiece end of the condenser to prevent this problem without having to tighten airflow with a tight pack if you would like a more open draw.

The draw on the vapcap M is wonderfully open though, I must say :D

herbivore21

Short video from last year.

Finally making a few more soon. Rosin is fun and all but I like to roll dutch. Or Hungarian as I was once corrected.
That's a nice temple ball man! Did you make the hash? Which bag/s is that from?

herbivore21,

herbivore21

Here's a snap of some 6 star 45u bubble hash mid-melt to keep the momentum up in this thread :D

2KZg6vR.jpg

Clear domes and clear liquid around the edges are evidence of what I call 'sure-fire' hash. What I mean is that you can be sure your hash is fire if it bubbles big and clear like this and if you get a clear pool of liquid around the edges of your dab as it melts.

This is also how first collection 73u hashes like we are discussing will always melt (if they do not melt like this, then the hashmaker did something wrong, or just as likely the grower, or both). The other collections do not usually melt like this when using the bubble techniques that most hashmakers use.

For all of you rosin and solvent extract people, if your rosin or solvent extracts melt with a clear pool around the outside like this, this is usually going to be fire material as well :D I believe our friend @ccchase420 has also observed this :)

Woo I just made it back in time to edit this pic in. Here's a 5th wash 120u collection - 6 star full melt, as always.

This is some very, very mature (the size of the heads becomes evident when we realize that this shot was taken @ just under 100x zoom - normally my shots are 300x!), thoroughly cured resin. Flavor is off the charts.

wkokQG6.jpg

Last edited:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
@herbivore21 Bro, great pics of awesome stuff!

It would be dope, if you could decide to make here a real tutorial on making bubble - please, do it!
You are the man here for teaching us the real stuff :tup:
Would be fun (at least for us!) going step by step through all stages and your students public the pics of their efforts.
I would enroll at once.

herbivore21

@herbivore21 Bro, great pics of awesome stuff!

It would be dope, if you could decide to make here a real tutorial on making bubble - please, do it!
You are the man here for teaching us the real stuff :tup:
Would be fun (at least for us!) going step by step through all stages and your students public the pics of their efforts.
I would enroll at once.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to do a full write up on bubble right now as I am too busy with my scientific work. This kind of a guide is very high on a list of things I will be doing in the future, hopefully sooner than later however :)

I see so much need in this space within the cannabis community, not just with bubble tek but all kinds of extraction methods. I look forward to having the opportunity to do a lot more, preferably sooner than later.

It always gives me a smile to see this thread pop back up. This thread is the culmination of the very best experiences that I ever had on FC. Thanks to @miguelovic for bumping it back up with such a wonderful shiney temple ball!

I will always be around to offer small amounts of information here when I can in the meantime of course :)

Also I will likely have to use another platform aside from FC to share large guides, since I really require the ability to edit my writing in perpetuity to be offering such lengthy and ever-changing pieces. Bubble requires larger amounts of starting material and trying to make it is a major commitment. I have to make sure I don't miss any important details in that kind of write-up, out of respect for the stashes of everybody who tries their hand :peace:

DrSteez

I am so late to class....

:D

So glad I found this. Been reading this for awhile now.

I am trying to plan my journey with a pound of sweet leaf and popcorn flowers.

I'm going to watch a few videos and be right back.

DrSteez

Hey guys so I got the 4bag kit.

220,160,73,25u.

Going to think about getting an extra bag (120,maybe 90)

Homemade fridge filtered water half moon crescent ice cubes.

Thinking about.....

12minutes of agitation and 12minites of settling. Then I'll take the 220bag out and fish out what I've got. :)

DrSteez,

TestyCalls

Time Traveler
Seriously?? Using the word ‘rape’ is now offensive unless its used in the context of an actual violent sexual act expressed only in a factual manner?

Get a grip dude, no one made a joke about the raping of women. (or anybody for that matter)
Perhaps he felt violated by his auto correct endlessly forcefully penetrating his sentences with unwanted advances and thusly impregnating his written musings against his will?

PC rubbish at its best.
I hope your request to censor others is ignored & I hope you will refrain from inflicting your values onto others.

There is a vid in my siggy that will help diagnose your affliction & give you some tips on coping mechanisms for your righteous indignation.

Poor bloke was just trying to express himself & you try to shame him.
Thats not very nice is it?

I know this is an old post.. but,

Well said my friend. In the world we live in today this is an increasing problem of political correctness gone wrong. Everyone is supposed to live their lives in a "perfect environment"- "hurt feelings free".:tinfoil: :rofl:Well that's not real life. Life is all about falling down and getting back up, being hurt and then recovering. Its how you choose to recover that defines you. These kids in college with their "safe spaces" crack me up:mental:. When they get thrust into the real world and find that someone disagrees with them, and no one gives a shit if their feelings are hurt or not, they don't know how to react because they have not developed coping skills, or thick skin for that matter. Then they potentially go on a rampage that hurts other people because of their lack of life skills. I usually don't comment a lot on posts like this, but you have hit the nail directly on the head. Wish I could like your post TWICE.:clap:

No need to reply to this. I'm not looking for notoriety, or an argument. Just expressing my gratitude towards a correct response like this. BRAVO.:clap:

Last edited:
TestyCalls,

TestyCalls

Time Traveler
1nXstsq.jpg

Good things come to those who learn to make bubble hash :D

I will PM anybody interested with details when the time comes, if any of you are interested, PM me and let me know :)

I wish I had been here 2 years ago when you started this thread, i certainly could have helped.. I was on this at that time. Looks good though, very nice looking product.

EDIT: It seems like we have both swapped techniques and procedures. I'm doing something else and you're doing this now. I only switched methods to learn about more of how to get certain types. Are you squishing this stuff after or just using the water extraction? I have never squished, I think it would hurt my feelings to squish nice water bubble. Seems like a lot of the good stuff would be excluded (through squishing) that makes the entire experience with bubble so unique.

TestyCalls,
Top Bottom