1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Scales... what are you using? which scales are accurate? digi or analog?

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by 2clicker, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 2clicker

2clicker up to my ears in clams Accessory Maker

so im in the market for a new scale. preferably something that can measure down to .01g min. and i dont mind spending a little more if it means a quality scale. all these $20-$30 pockets scales are ok, but kinda cheap and too small.

so what are you using? what brands do you like?

2. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

A great place to shop is Old Will Knott Scales, they are knowledgeable and consult over the phone. If its a pocket scale you are after the My Weigh Palmscale series looks very nice, there are several to choose from, this one comes with a calibration weight which is essential. For table top weighing I have a My Weigh iBalance 500, its awesome but the 700 that just came out to replace it is even nicer ;)

Edit: That My Weigh Palmscale 8 Advance 300 looked so nice I just purchased one :lol:

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ibalance-500.html
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-palmscale8-advance-300.html

[​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    [​IMG]

3. Roger D

Roger D Vapor Wizard

4. Tweek

Tweek Well-Known Member

I have the palmscale 8.0 and it is awesome. Build is a little too plastiky for my taste, but it is still a really good quality and accurate scale with some extras.

mvapes likes this.
  5. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

I have a Jennings JSR-100. It's small and has a 100 g limit but that's adequate for my needs. I wouldn't consider a .1 scale, since I like to measure out .1 g loads.

6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

I have the PalmScale 7 (bought just before the PalmScale 8 was available).

I really like it ... it's an excellent scale (I actually prefer the removable cover on the 7 over the hinged one on the 8)

7. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

Thanks for the rec Paka, I called and changed my order. The Jennings had better features, for me, for less $$$ and I like the red display better, thanks :)

[​IMG]

treecityrnd, Vicki and pakalolo like this.
  8. 2clicker

thanks for the replies team!

9. HighlyEducatedScholar

HighlyEducatedScholar Student of Vapor

i've actually been on the hunt for scales lately as well. i came across this one last night which seems like a good deal for $25 to get additional accessories with the scale including a weight for calibration.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-pointscale-150.html#reviews

what do you guys think? there seems to be 3 positive reviews for it there too.

10. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

Its probably an ok scale, one of my motivators to buy another was to get 100th gram resolution which this scale does not have. Something to consider.

Dreamerr and pakalolo like this.
  11. HighlyEducatedScholar

HighlyEducatedScholar Student of Vapor

:doh: didn't even notice that. just assumed it was 0.01. very good point, i only wanted one that measures in hundredths of a gram.

12. 2clicker

i want a scale that i can weigh small amounts of errl and know that its accurate. i dont mind spending up to $100 if its worth it.

thanks for all the recommendations yall.

FukCombustion likes this.
  13. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

That's my scale! I've been using it for years! :D

t-dub and treecityrnd like this.
  14. 2clicker

i like the jennings recommendation, but want a bigger surface. i think i like the looks of this one.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jt-2-350.html

AAA batteries and an included AC adapter. measures to .01g.

Dreamerr, t-dub and Vicki like this.
  15. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

That looks like a nice scale. I saw that it has a 20 year warranty too. I've been using my Jennings for over 6 years, and it's still working great. I think they make a good, reliable product.

2clicker and t-dub like this.
  16. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

I use an AWS 200 x .01g digital scale. I've owned it for about a year and am pretty happy with the results, as well as the price (<$20 from Amazon)

deadheadbill and 2clicker like this.
  17. Frederick McGuire

Frederick McGuire Aggressively Loungey

I'm having trouble finding a better link for it, but my scale is essentially the same as this:
    http://chinaycscale.en.made-in-china.com/product/neIEVGCdCtcF/China-Mini-Scale-SL-SERIES-.html

I got it from my local tobacconist for $60, and I probably overpaid for it, but it's been going strong for 3-4 years now, has 0.01g resolution, can switch to imperial measurements, etc.

I'm very happy with it :)

I also picked up a set very similar to these
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...id=1361863064&sr=8-17&keywords=digital scales
    with 0.001g resolution, but they are too fiddly, and have too small an area to do much with them.
    They work well, but I never really use them.

18. Tweek

Tweek Well-Known Member

If you want accuracy, stick to MyWeigh or Jennings. Cheaper brand scales work, but their calibration will shift too easily and frequently. The better brand scales, have stronger internal components.

Vicki likes this.
  19. Roger D

Roger D Vapor Wizard

So right, cheap scales are the majority, and they suck really hard. No way to get real accurate measurement if you take your time. You always have to reset them cause they ripple big.

I have to underline the fact that the brand I was talking about (g&g) are manufacturers for scientific brands all over the world. When you get a G&G made scale, you will experience a stunning stability. I use it for kitchen purposes and it is always on, it never shift, even after 6 hours the reading don't move at all.

Tweek likes this.
  20. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD 宇宙

.1g AWS scale.

Going for the .01 soon. I like the .1 just fine, but should have gone for the .01 instead! Now I'm stuck buying twice, but at least I'll have a backup.

21. mvapes

mvapes Surrounded by the healthy!

Tweek likes this.
  22. farscaper

farscaper Well-Known Member

I actually have a horizon that I ebayed for 15 bucks. 200gx .01g takes two standard AAA. It is slowish, but spot on. I would say that its closer to a .02 accuracy if u actually try to read just .01g but wtf u need to go that low, idk? I have had no issue with table shifting readings and its got big buttons big readout is the same size as my phone and a ss plate. Oh, 15$ too... I didnt wanna spend over 30 for em so im happy

FukCombustion likes this.
  23. goatgobaahh

goatgobaahh Well-Known Member

I think I'm gonna go with the Jennings JSR-100. I usually weight in my car though, not sure how that is gonna work out.

Vicki likes this.
  24. mlo4sho

mlo4sho Well-Known Member

25. mvapes

mvapes Surrounded by the healthy!

I've used both - the palmscale would be my choice - much more accurate IMO, the screen is much nicer and offers more features, and to be totally honest - aesthetically the palmscale looks better.

But that's just me...

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors